Good hotel for one nite in PDC?

Author
jillyjilly2x4
Cooler Carrying Member
  • Total Posts : 369
  • Reward points: 0
2009/01/28 17:29:18 (permalink)

Good hotel for one nite in PDC?

Hubby and I would like to stay in PDC for one night (a Saturday) so we can take the ferry to Cozumel on Sunday AM.  Any suggestions for a great place if you were only there for one eve?

I think we'd prefer not all-inclusive, but then I'd need restaraunt suggestions too!  Have any good places that you think just shouldn't be missed in PDC?

Many thanks to all you wild and crazy LocoGringos!

Iguana Mama
LocoGringo Customer
  • Total Posts : 21307
  • Reward points: 10
RE: Good hotel for one nite in PDC? 2009/01/28 18:34:32 (permalink)
Take a look at LG's info on Playa Maya and Playa Palms.
Stormin
Starting Member
  • Total Posts : 16
RE: Good hotel for one nite in PDC? 2009/01/28 19:25:14 (permalink)
Playa Maya and Playa Palms are great hotels. Very popular. They might be tough to get into. I would definitely get a reservation. There are many other decent hotels that might not be beachfront but will have availability. If you know the night you need then you might make a reservation. If you wing it, you might try some of the hotels on Fifth Avenue or possibly a couple like Lab Nah, Maya Bric, Fusion, or Vista Caribe that might have an opening around Calle 6. Some more hotels on Calle 2 and Calle 4.

As far as restaurants there are many great ones. My faves are La Pesca for Imperial Shrimp. El Fogon for Mexican. Babe's for Thai and the Swedish meatballs.
ryan1104
Cooler Carrying Member
  • Total Posts : 269
RE: Good hotel for one nite in PDC? 2009/01/29 06:19:29 (permalink)
Check out Hotel Lunata's web-site. Very nice and clean, very "Mexican" look to it, great place on 5th.
John in DC
LocoGringo Customer
  • Total Posts : 3848
  • Reward points: 1876
RE: Good hotel for one nite in PDC? 2009/01/29 08:26:36 (permalink)
Don Emilione's is right down by the ferry dock. I stayed there for a couple of nights several years ago and thought it was just fine -- spacious, clean rooms and very nice people. The restaurant and bar are sentimental favorites of mine. The lower end of La Quinta isn't my favorite part of town (it's pretty touristy), but Don Emilione's is a real bright spot. LocoGringo represents the hotel.

Soliman Bay ~~ Playa

Stormin
Starting Member
  • Total Posts : 16
RE: Good hotel for one nite in PDC? 2009/01/29 08:32:31 (permalink)
I believe Don Emilione's is no longer in business.
47froggy
LocoGringo Customer
  • Total Posts : 1152
  • Reward points: 189
RE: Good hotel for one nite in PDC? 2009/01/29 15:43:09 (permalink)
We stayed at The Pelicano Inn just a bit up from the ferry and thought it was fine, right on the beach - nothing fancy but really a cute old place and the fellow at the desk was very helpful.  We enjoyed our two nights with them and wandering around the streets seeing all the great shops.  We would all stay again! (wish that could be soon!)
post edited by 47froggy - 2009/01/29 16:45:16

Livin' la vida loco en Tulum! I highly recommend it!
jillyjilly2x4
Cooler Carrying Member
RE: Good hotel for one nite in PDC? 2009/01/29 22:50:10 (permalink)
Great suggestions and ideas!  I like the authentic-y and unusual...  But the swedish meatballs are a really wild idea--Really?!  Who would have thunk it?!

I also like the idea of being near the ferry, but we'll have a car, so we'll be going down to the car ferry area that I've read is near Xcaret. I think on Sundays it leaves at like 6AM...  So the closer to that the better, I guess--although maybe I'll just stay awake because 6AM really *is* the middle of the night!

I know exactly what night, so making a reservation is completely possible.  I'll be there on Saturday, October 31, 2009 (okay, so it should be obvious that I'll be making reservations! I'm a planner. This is crazy-far in advance!).  Seven days in Cozumel, then three more in the MR and back home on the 11th.  Should be a blast.  I've just never stayed in PDC.

The last time I was in PDC (December 2007) I ate at a dark little open-air bar along one of the roads perpendicular to the water, but only a block or so from the water, (I really wish I had paid more attention, but I had been sampling some of the local beverages) and I had a salsa-dip-type-thingy in a tiny little bowl that the waitress said was made with pumpkin seeds.  IT WAS THE MOST AMAZING THING!  I've been thinking about it ever since [:)].  Do any of you know what kind of dip that was?!  Any PDC places that might serve it?!  Is it wrong to want to eat something for breakfast, lunch and dinner every day for the rest of my life?!

Aaanyway, great suggestions and many thanks to you all!

Viva la Mexico!
CurlSnout
LocoGringo Customer
  • Total Posts : 14925
  • Reward points: 1279
RE: Good hotel for one nite in PDC? 2009/01/30 09:00:47 (permalink)
I'm thinking Yaxche might match what you say for the restaurant. They have "authentic" Mayan food, and I think it includes pumpkin seeds.  Yaxche has a website, maybe you can see if it looks right...

"Por que no refrescarte?"

Bosco
Ultimate Member
  • Total Posts : 7518
  • Reward points: 2402
RE: Good hotel for one nite in PDC? 2009/01/30 11:56:29 (permalink)
I walked through the Blue Mosquito...swanky...

A world of my own
I'll make it my home sweet home...
JAH
Cooler Carrying Member
  • Total Posts : 326
RE: Good hotel for one nite in PDC? 2009/01/30 16:02:43 (permalink)
You can get the pumpkin seed dip at Los Carboncitos on 4th Street close to 5th Ave.  They also have a nice hotel upstairs called Hotel Cielo.
nevertoolate
LocoGringo Customer
  • Total Posts : 412
  • Reward points: 1167
RE: Good hotel for one nite in PDC? 2009/01/31 15:17:18 (permalink)
I surprised that you would take a "car ferry" to Cozumel.  
There is not a lot of driving to do & you can easily rent a car when you arrive
(if you really do want to drive around the island).  
How much does the Car Ferry cost?

It won't be the same next year, so go now!
AND next year too, if you still can :-)
John in DC
LocoGringo Customer
  • Total Posts : 3848
  • Reward points: 1876
RE: Good hotel for one nite in PDC? 2009/02/02 08:39:00 (permalink)
Whatever the arrangements might be for taking a car over to Cozumel (and I thought that was from Puerto Morelo, not Calica), I guarantee it will be infinitely faster and cheaper to rent transportation once you get over there. Unless you're planning to stay on Coz for several weeks or more, I would drop that idea like a hot potato.

Soliman Bay ~~ Playa

charrisdc
Cooler Carrying Member
  • Total Posts : 824
  • Reward points: 397
RE: Good hotel for one nite in PDC? 2009/02/02 11:33:46 (permalink)
I agree with pretty much everything that's been said. . .

1) Unless you're going to be on Coz for several days, just leave your car in PDC and take the regular passenger ferry and if you feel the need to rent a car there, do it! We rented one for the day and I think it cost about $40 including all insurance.taxes, $0 deductible, etc.  You could probably get a better price if you rent for more than one day.

2) We stayed at the Fiesta Banana - booked through LG - in December for 2 nights. It's at the high (north end) of 5th and very close to lots and lots of restaurants.  It was VERY affordable, and perfectly clean and comfortable. The complimentary "breakfast" is a joke though so don't count on anything more than toast and coffee/tea. There is plenty of parking in the area and it's at the "quiet" end of 5th avenue so it's not crazy hopping loud all night but you're still a short walk to all of that if you want it!

3) I'll second the earlier recommendation for El Fogon for Mexican food Babe's for Thai food.  El Fogon is really local and one of th ebest meals I've had in Mexico. It will be hot, loud, busy and . . .  delicious!

Have fun.

jillyjilly2x4
Cooler Carrying Member
RE: Good hotel for one nite in PDC? 2009/02/12 21:39:06 (permalink)
Wow man, sorry for the delay in replying--life does get crazy sometimes!  Don't it just?!

Anyway, we're flying into Cancun on 10/31/09 because we can get a cheap DIRECT flight from DC (and there are none to Coz) and then we're staying in Coz for 8 days, then back over the PDC for three more days and then leaving from Cancun again--for the flights.  We have another couple sharing the car costs on both ends, but they're flying into Coz on 11/1.

Renting a car in Coz that we can take back to Cancun airport is prohibitive.  Like $400 bucks extra.  The car ferry is only ~$50 USD (including the driver fare) and ~$6USD for additional passengers.  This is much less, even with a round-trip, than we can do it any other way.  Our other choice is to rent a car when we get to Coz on 11/1/09 turn it in 8 days later and get another one for 3 days in PDC...  But then we'd still want to drive it (and four people with all our luggage) to the Cancun airport on the last day--and then it gets expensive again.  The car thing is a bit of a hassle altogether, but we really like the freedom of going wherever we want whenever we want, both in the MR and in Coz.

So, there's the reason behind the seeming madness!  We are also considering taking the car ferry right to Coz on the 31st and staying one nite in San Miguel--since we'll be in PDC for three nights later in the trip.  That way we wouldn't have to make the ferry by ~5AM on Sunday AM.  Which would be good.[:'(]

The ferry website (in Spanish, but was able to translate on Google) says it is in Calica www.transcaribe.com.mx and Google Earth seems to confirm it, but if you guys know something I don't--I would hate to be wrong about something so important! A huge bummer.

Great news about the pumpkin seed dip and suggested places that I might be able to bathe in huge buckets of it.  My bag of  rapidly aging seeds sits sadly in the cupboard as a reminder of the deliciousness I've been missing!  Thanks, it will be my mission to search every place you've all mentioned!
Iguana Mama
LocoGringo Customer
  • Total Posts : 21307
  • Reward points: 10
RE: Good hotel for one nite in PDC? 2009/02/13 05:56:16 (permalink)
Make sure that your rental car company will allow you to take their car to Coz. Many of them don't.
jillyjilly2x4
Cooler Carrying Member
RE: Good hotel for one nite in PDC? 2009/02/13 22:21:31 (permalink)
I can imagine that they would not be pleased to know we were taking the car to Coz...  It's quite easy to get stuck in the sand and it's a little more wild/rustic there (most of the island outside of SanMiguel anyway) than most of the developed MR.

Does anyone know which companies are okay with it?  Are they any that you know do not allow it?

Thanks again everyone!
jillyjilly2x4
Cooler Carrying Member
RE: Good hotel for one nite in PDC? 2009/02/22 20:17:00 (permalink)
Okay!  New news!  We just found out that the car ferry WILL NOT take rental cars across at all...  Interesting, and I'm sure glad that I found that out before I got there! [:@] We were checking with some of the rental places to see which one would allow it and which would not, but we weren't getting many answers, yay or nay. Instead, we have heard from several places that it is the ferry that doesn't accept rental vehicles.  Extremely good to know!
Consider all plans officially changed!
Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5