What hotel to choose?

Author
Turquoise
  • Total Posts : 8
  • Reward points: 0
2009/01/20 13:08:11 (permalink)

What hotel to choose?

I haven't been to Akumal yet, but have decided to start my trip there this year![:D]  What hotel do you suggest?  We won't have a car, don't want AI, and would like to be near restaurants and beach clubs. 

The plan is to start out in Akumal in a hotel, move onto a condo in Playa, then end the trip in Isla.  Has anybody ever done that itinerary?  Tentatively planning 3 days in Akumal, 5 in Playa, then 3 in Isla.
Wifey
LocoGringo Customer
  • Total Posts : 9536
  • Reward points: 2290
RE: What hotel to choose? 2009/01/20 14:16:10 (permalink)
Hello and welcome...

If you go to the lodging tab at the top of this page, you can look at all of the properties LG represents by area.  Here is a link for hotels in Akumal.  For what you want, Hotel Akumal Caribe is probably a good choice.  You can check it out here.  http://www.locogringo.com/dynamic/lodging.cfm?location=Akumal&type=Hotel/Resort

Iguana Mama
LocoGringo Customer
  • Total Posts : 21307
  • Reward points: 10
RE: What hotel to choose? 2009/01/20 17:07:50 (permalink)
The Hotel Akumal Caribe/Villas Maya sounds like the place you want. It is right in the heart of Akumal Bay--great restaurants & shops right there. And guests get complimentary use of beach loungers & palapas in a special roped-off area. We stay in the Villas Maya bungalows & love it there.
Craig in WI
LocoGringo Customer
  • Total Posts : 4150
  • Reward points: 1970
RE: What hotel to choose? 2009/01/20 20:50:04 (permalink)
Third plug for Hotel Akumal Caribe/Villas Maya Bungalows.  You won't find a better place, in my opinion.  Not the newest/fanciest, but comfortable and in the perfect location.

TwirleyB
LocoGringo Customer
  • Total Posts : 13885
  • Reward points: 2101
RE: What hotel to choose? 2009/01/21 09:41:13 (permalink)
There aren't many hotels right in Akumal.  I think Akumal Caribe is the only one.  There is Vista Del mar hotel which is cheaper and nice.  Its in Half Moon Bay, next door to La Buena Vida restaurant, which some folks like and some don't. (as usual)  VDM is a walk from Akumal main area and the other restaurants in Akumal.  But do able w/o a car.  Probably the only 2 places convenient with no car.  Only 3 days, I'd stay at Akumal Caribe. 
RE: 5 days in Playa.  You sure you wany 5 days there?  Unless you are seeking party time or night life, I would swap the 5 days to Akumal and 3 in PDC.  My PDC level of tolerance is down to about 1 or 2 days!  You are missing Tulum and the Tulum beach stretch  is something I would hate to miss just to spend more time in Playa!
2BVI
LocoGringo Customer
  • Total Posts : 746
  • Reward points: 10
RE: What hotel to choose? 2009/01/21 18:41:34 (permalink)
We are first timers to Akumal and will spend 9 days/condo near Yal Ku mid-April. No car but the condo has bikes. Guess we will be doing our share of taxi's. Then  a week at our time share near Puerto Morales.

Don't sell Isla short. Its a great place to hang out and the people are wonderful. Be sure to take in the sunsets. We did 9 days there last April and will be just doing 3 this trip. I hope we made the right decision. 
Turquoise
  • Total Posts : 8
  • Reward points: 0
RE: What hotel to choose? 2009/02/09 10:10:17 (permalink)
Thank you everyone for your replies!  We ended up renting a condo for our three nights in Akumal.  It looks beautiful and I know we'll really enjoy staying there.  The complex is Mi Casa del Mar. 

Twirley B... you're right, Playa is a busier place and sometimes 5th Ave gets a little annoying. But, I know people there through another forum and like to visit the Peanut Pet Shelter and go to Bad Boys, plus there are a lot of great restaurants!  I've wanted to take a day trip to Akumal the last few times I've been in Playa, but it's never worked out.  So I am excited to be staying there for three days!  I have been to Tulum a couple of times for day trips... hopefully next trip I'll be able to stay there for a few days. 

Does anyone have any recommendations for a hotel on Isla Mujeres? 
kallileigh
LocoGringo Customer
  • Total Posts : 3164
  • Reward points: 2107
RE: What hotel to choose? 2009/02/09 11:25:33 (permalink)
Hi, I have a friend who stayed at Villa La Bella on Isla Mujeres.  She absolutely loved it.  It's not really a hotel, I think they call it a B&B.  Google it, check out the pics.  Oh, and, not sure if you're traveling with kids or not but Villa La Bella is adults only.

We didn't know we were making memories. We just knew we were having fun.

Save
Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5