Has anyone waited to get a condo/hotel until you got there?

Author
GWilma13
Cooler Carrying Member
  • Total Posts : 386
  • Reward points: 661
2009/01/16 09:13:27 (permalink)

Has anyone waited to get a condo/hotel until you got there?

We are traveling in April , and we (my husband and 2 kids) are booking our condo and airfare today or tomorrow.  We have been waiting for my dad and brother, but now they have decided they are going to fly by the seat of their pants and find a place to stay once they are there in hopes of getting a good deal.

Anyone else done this and do you get a better deal?

I am trying to talk them out of it because I know that they owners set the prices and I am not sure that the people at the check-in desk have negotiating power, also sometimes they are not there unless someone is going to be checking in.  Also neither of them speak any spanish.  I know most people speak pretty good english, or at least some, but to be able to negotiate, they may try to drag me from place to place to help them.

We have been down many times, we know all the condos, so why not just book?  I would really like for us to be in the same building
possibly side by side, but that is most likely not going to happen if they do not confirm with us.

Any opinions on this?

reefhugger
Ultimate Member
  • Total Posts : 8844
  • Reward points: 582
RE: Has anyone waited to get a condo/hotel until you got there? 2009/01/16 10:25:26 (permalink)
Even at peak holiday times you can likely find something... even if its not what would normally be one of your top choices. Might also not be where you want it. Don't expect on-the-spot discounts unless the place is near empty and has been for weeks. Over the years I've met people who just showed up and seems they pay the price that's listed. Some have paid more then what it would have cost them booking ahead. If it's peak time and there aren't many options then you get what you get at whatever price they want to give it to you.

Another thing to keep in mind is that most condos are individually owned and the property manager and people in the office aren't going to discount a unit unless they have the owner's permission to do so. The only building I know of in Akumal that is not individually owned units is Vista del Mar. Their rates are good for Akumal and they get steady bookings. Not likely they would have any reason to discount, if they had an open unit.

Iguana Mama
LocoGringo Customer
  • Total Posts : 21307
  • Reward points: 10
RE: Has anyone waited to get a condo/hotel until you got there? 2009/01/16 11:40:19 (permalink)
April is a very busy time, and most places are booked months in advance. You'll likely have to settle for somplace that's not on the beach--if that matters.
TwirleyB
LocoGringo Customer
  • Total Posts : 13885
  • Reward points: 2101
RE: Has anyone waited to get a condo/hotel until you got there? 2009/01/16 11:50:52 (permalink)
If its the latter part of April, you may be just fine.  Last May we just reserved 1 night, our arrival day.  We had planned to hop around to various places but ended up staying several nights in the same place but they did discount when we went in to say we would be staying a few more days.  We then stopped in at the condo I normally stay, but was too expensive for just 2 people to reserve,  and they had an opening at a great discount.  Alot of places will give you a walk up rate if they have an opening.  Not so with the hotel or bungalows in Akumal.  I tried.

I would do it again in late April or May, but not early April.
Dar
Cooler Carrying Member
  • Total Posts : 2084
  • Reward points: 668
RE: Has anyone waited to get a condo/hotel until you got there? 2009/01/16 12:58:36 (permalink)
Easter is in april this year, the busiest time of the year for Mexico.  When are you going in April?  If you are going the very last week, they may have a chance, but willl be going from place to place and may have to settle with off beach.  If you are going mid-month, they'll be sleeping on your floor!
crabman
  • Total Posts : 34
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Has anyone waited to get a condo/hotel until you got there? 2009/01/16 15:26:18 (permalink)
 Easter is a 2 week holiday in Mexico for many. It was very busy the time i went at easter.

Time flies when you're havin rum
southkeys
Starting Member
  • Total Posts : 30
RE: Has anyone waited to get a condo/hotel until you got there? 2009/01/16 20:48:26 (permalink)
The global economic trickle down effect is finally hitting Akumal. Reservations/booking are off for most of the area. I don't think things will change much by April. Take your chances. If you don't get a place next door, then have them rent a bike and get a little exercise. They probably need it. [;)]

Hawkeye
LocoGringo Customer
  • Total Posts : 118
  • Reward points: 10
RE: Has anyone waited to get a condo/hotel until you got there? 2009/01/16 20:59:55 (permalink)
Hmmmmm... We own a casita in Akumal and the inquiries have been steady ... I suspect the high end properties may feel the impact of the sluggish economy, but there are always people who love Akumal and want an affordable place ... Prior to buying our casita we have taken trips where we would be walks ins ... I felt really comfortable doing it in October ... you will find a place in April but you won't save a lot of money by waiting, you will only limit your options ... If this year is anywhere close to last year we will be mostly booked through August ... I would say find a place you really want to stay in that sounds like a good deal and book it ... That is just my opinion ... 
post edited by Hawkeye - 2009/01/16 22:00:43
FWFrog
Cooler Carrying Member
  • Total Posts : 272
  • Reward points: 71
RE: Has anyone waited to get a condo/hotel until you got there? 2009/01/18 20:42:17 (permalink)
We now own two condos in Akumal.  When we bought the second in August, I was really worried about keeping the two condos booked.  I have to say that both of my condos are booked as much or more than last year - at least through March.  (Go figure!)  The main difference is that they are not booked 4 - 6 months out this year.  Instead, we are receiving MANY inquiries just 2 weeks to 6 weeks out. 

I would not wait to book until I arrived if you are particular about building, floor, etc.
david5531
  • Total Posts : 36
RE: Has anyone waited to get a condo/hotel until you got there? 2009/01/18 22:57:38 (permalink)
I also own a condo in Akumal.  We are fully booked through late April.  The 2009 high season bookings started off slow during mid 2008, but I have seen bookings pick up since the election.  I guess everyone wanted to wait and see what the outcome was before making their plans.
Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5