Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
niknik
Cooler Carrying Member
  • Total Posts : 96
  • Reward points: 715
2008/04/28 10:25:18 (permalink)

Snorkeling / from a Hotel Beach

Been a while since a discussion on snorkeling from a hotel beach front . So lets try to get some good discussion going.
My goal is allways looking for good to great snorkel areas to vacation in . I know their are many great snorkel trips one can pay for and i have been on many and will continue to do so. So lets hear about Hotels with Good to Great snorkeling we all can share .

First must be in front of or very near to beach front of a hotel .
Mexico should be the foremost but would like to see other Countries included .

Viva la Akumal , i Love Akumal and have visited 4 times and hope to return soon , and have never found better snorkeling from a hotel beach front anywhere i have vacationed .

So lets here of your experiences . nick  

25 Replies Related Threads

zoprint
    • Total Posts : 32
    • Reward points: 0
    RE: Snorkeling / from a Hotel Beach 2008/04/28 10:32:29 (permalink)
    The best deep water snorkeling I have experienced was at the Barcello Maya. (I'm sure any xpu-ha hotel is just as good)
    The reef comes really close to the mainland here.
    Vista Del Mar was great for shallow bay snorkel in HMB.
    Not a whole lot to see in PDC or Tulum, pretty sandy.
    not to familliar with anything north of PDC.

barata
    Cooler Carrying Member
    • Total Posts : 4426
    • Reward points: 2092
    RE: Snorkeling / from a Hotel Beach 2008/04/28 22:56:12 (permalink)
    Lots of spots in Maui!  (hope this post keeps going, I'm always dreaming too!)
    niknik
    Cooler Carrying Member
    RE: Snorkeling / from a Hotel Beach 2008/04/28 23:15:58 (permalink)
    Well were of to a slow start , but keep on chugging .

Lets try to be clear on Hotel and snorkeling spots .

I for one like the Black Rock snorkeling in front of the Sheraton Hotel in Maui the Kanapalli area.

Also the turtle area in front of the Marriott Maui in Wailea , a resort area in Maui . 

Anyone like or have a Snorkeling report ( Experience ) on Barcello Maya Hotel in i think Porto Morales .
                                                                                     nick
    Vancouver Sundog
    LocoGringo Customer
    • Total Posts : 7884
    • Reward points: 2572
    RE: Snorkeling / from a Hotel Beach 2008/04/28 23:34:54 (permalink)
    Try Roatan (multiple places) - I liked Spooky Channel (100 foot dropoff) and West Bay.

Look at my two trip reports
    http://forums.locogringo.com/forums/tm.asp?m=817777

http://forums.locogringo.com/forums/tm.asp?m=831239 

A triple PMASB2019  & AASB2019 (Part  I & II) -
    Happening now

iheartakumal
    Cooler Carrying Member
    • Total Posts : 175
    RE: Snorkeling / from a Hotel Beach 2008/04/29 03:36:01 (permalink)
    I haven't been since before their big hurricane, but the Westin on 7 mile beach on Grand Cayman is one of the best beaches with snorkeling I have EVER been to.  Maybe it's because it's where I first learned and dared to snorkel, but there is a great reef out from the beach.  And the girls from the bar will bring drinks to you IN THE OCEAN.  At least they would when I was there last.  I guess things could have changed. 

Any with recent knowledge?  I'd love to go back.  The beach there is so awsome and the water is amazing, calm with incredible visibility. 
    zoprint
    • Total Posts : 32
    RE: Snorkeling / from a Hotel Beach 2008/04/29 10:07:42 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: niknik

Well were of to a slow start , but keep on chugging .

Lets try to be clear on Hotel and snorkeling spots .

I for one like the Black Rock snorkeling in front of the Sheraton Hotel in Maui the Kanapalli area.

Also the turtle area in front of the Marriott Maui in Wailea , a resort area in Maui . 

Anyone like or have a Snorkeling report ( Experience ) on Barcello Maya Hotel in i think Porto Morales .
                                                                                    nick

We were at the Barcelo Maya 4 years ago, I have heard it has grown into a few resorts now.
    There is (or was) a pier on the north side that made it very easy to get in and out (there is some stairs coming out of the water)
    There also was a small island with a palapa on it about 100 yards out from the pier. The best snorkeling was north of the island.
    The current was just fine and there was alot to see. If you like to dive down and swim around, it is an excellent choice.
    I started to see alot of big fish schooling and soon realized I was way out there. It's easy to do when there is so much to look at!
    lostpinky
    • Total Posts : 39
    RE: Snorkeling / from a Hotel Beach 2008/04/29 11:24:15 (permalink)
    We stayed at the Bahia Principe Tulum 2 years ago and the snorkling there was poor.  There is an area in that is roped off by bouys.  We were told that you could only enter with a guide.  I don't know if that is true, we stayed out.  GPS 20*21'49.48"N 87*19"55"W

gjkieler
    LocoGringo Customer
    • Total Posts : 125
    • Reward points: 10
    RE: Snorkeling / from a Hotel Beach 2008/04/29 15:06:09 (permalink)
    I love Grand Cayman- we stayed @ Turtle's nest inn(fodors choice award forever) on South side and snorkeling was great form the beach.  For 1800/wk we had a car for the week, 1bdrm condo and daily maid service, owners live on property-they only have about 8 units. Very clear water protected by a reef.. lots of fish and coral-kept my teenagers busy for hours!!! We also beached it in front of the Westin-beautiful beach. Loved the whole trip!!!!!!
    lostpinky
    • Total Posts : 39
    RE: Snorkeling / from a Hotel Beach 2008/04/29 19:19:00 (permalink)
    One other question, how do you get through a resort to the beach?  Do they look for wrist bands?  Can you park you car out front or will it get towed?

ScubaBum
    Ultimate Member
    • Total Posts : 9887
    • Reward points: 1149
    RE: Snorkeling / from a Hotel Beach 2008/04/29 19:31:38 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: lostpinky

One other question, how do you get through a resort to the beach?  Do they look for wrist bands?  Can you park you car out front or will it get towed?

You cannot access the beach through any private property you are not staying at or have permission to access. You, most likely, would not even get past the Security/guardhouse to the resort in the first place. Yes, the wristband identifies you as a guest of a particular resort.

To access a beach, you must do it through public property or where you are a guest. ALL the beaches are public, but you have to access them first and without trespassing.

Where are you trying to get to?
    post edited by ScubaBum - 2008/04/29 20:32:36
    ChicagoCraig
    LocoGringo Customer
    • Total Posts : 19827
    • Reward points: 507
    RE: Snorkeling / from a Hotel Beach 2008/04/29 20:23:20 (permalink)
    Hello again Nick!!!!   Missed ya back in '06![:D]

Kayman Kai up by Rum Point on Grand Cayman.  Resort is no longer but condo conversions....It was fabulous back in 1995.  No crowds like 7 mile beach areas....very lovely and highly recommended.
    Vancouver Sundog
    LocoGringo Customer
    • Total Posts : 7884
    • Reward points: 2572
    RE: Snorkeling / from a Hotel Beach 2008/04/29 23:42:04 (permalink)
    Chicago: so the beach/sand is good

And the coral / snorkling??? Any pics
    post edited by Vancouver Sundog - 2008/04/30 10:07:36

A triple PMASB2019  & AASB2019 (Part  I & II) -
    Happening now

golden
    LocoGringo Customer
    • Total Posts : 17
    • Reward points: 10
    RE: Snorkeling / from a Hotel Beach 2008/04/30 04:30:57 (permalink)
    Nice thread!

The snorkelling in front of the Habitat Curacao in Curacao is amazing. There is no beach there, but you can jump straight into the sea from the bridge in front of the hotel, and the corals are right underneath you. Waterdepth is 4 feet-10 feet, very easy snorkelling.
    niknik
    Cooler Carrying Member
    RE: Snorkeling / from a Hotel Beach 2010/04/30 18:26:20 (permalink)
    I am reviving a older post about snokeling from a hotel beach .

Anyone been to Punta Cana , Honduras , the Catalonia Royal Hotel . I have been looking at other Hotels that have good to excellent snorkeling from their beache's .

Any other Hotel Beach snorkeling location's , let's hear from you all ( as we say in Texas ) . nick
    FinsUP
    Ultimate Member
    • Total Posts : 6845
    • Reward points: 562
    RE: Snorkeling / from a Hotel Beach 2010/04/30 19:38:32 (permalink)
    Snorkeling out in front of Playa Costa Verde, and Blau Costa Verde in Holguin, Cuba is pretty good.  Water clarity is wonderful.

Snorkeling from Breezrd Jibacoa in Santa Cruz del Norte (Between Verader and Havana, Cuba) is supposed to be wonderful!  That's where we're going in June sometime.  Some LG's have been there and said it's great.

Also, there's a reef, but you need to boat to it near Cayo Coco, Cuba, actually Cayo Guillermo, and it was WONDERFUL!  Worth the catamaran day trip!
    niknik
    Cooler Carrying Member
    RE: Snorkeling / from a Hotel Beach 2010/04/30 20:05:37 (permalink)
    Sounds good can i borrow your pass port FinsUp . Nick ,in Texas.
    Bosco
    Ultimate Member
    • Total Posts : 7518
    • Reward points: 2402
    RE: Snorkeling / from a Hotel Beach 2010/04/30 20:52:00 (permalink)
    Maui Prince Hotel in South Maui.

Caneel Bay Resort in St John, USVI.

Sheraton in Kaanapali.

A world of my own
    I'll make it my home sweet home...
    tequib
    Cooler Carrying Member
    • Total Posts : 573
    • Reward points: 945
    RE: Snorkeling / from a Hotel Beach 2010/04/30 21:00:25 (permalink)
    the Catalonia Royal Hotel

The Catalonia Royal Tulum has fairly good snorkelling directly off the beach south of the resort 50 yards or so, but there is really good snorkelling 100 yds or so directly off the beach in front of the hotel.  In fact, at least two of the catamaran snorkel trips stop there.  However, you need to be a strong swimmer and I'd strongly suggest a vest.  
    funcampin
    LocoGringo Customer
    • Total Posts : 655
    • Reward points: 727
    RE: Snorkeling / from a Hotel Beach 2010/05/01 21:55:20 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Vancouver Sundog

Try Roatan (multiple places) - I liked Spooky Channel (100 foot dropoff) and West Bay.

Look at my two trip reports
    http://forums.locogringo.com/forums/tm.asp?m=817777

http://forums.locogringo.com/forums/tm.asp?m=831239 

Sundog, I enjoyed your pictures of Roatan, Honduras. We made reservations and are really looking forward to our trip.
    GlennAP
    LocoGringo Customer
    • Total Posts : 266
    • Reward points: 682
    RE: Snorkeling / from a Hotel Beach 2010/05/01 22:07:13 (permalink)
    Breezes Jibacoa in Cuba is great...I call it the ABR of Cuba.  Lots of jellies on windy days mind you.

A little further afield but the Muri Beachcomber in the Cook Islands (Rarotonga) was good too. 
    funcampin
    LocoGringo Customer
    • Total Posts : 655
    • Reward points: 727
    RE: Snorkeling / from a Hotel Beach 2010/05/01 23:05:43 (permalink)
    Mana Kai Outrigger, Kihei, Maui, Hawaii. Great bargain. On the edge of the the expensive Wailea beach area.

There are several great off shore snorkeling beaches within a mile or two of the hotel. The snorkeling right in front of the resort is outstanding with nice soft sand and calm waters, year 'round. It's a quiet beach with not very many people except those staying at the resort.
    Isla Chica
    LocoGringo Customer
    • Total Posts : 5839
    • Reward points: 850
    RE: Snorkeling / from a Hotel Beach 2010/05/02 01:53:22 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: lostpinky  We stayed at the Bahia Principe Tulum 2 years ago and the snorkling there was poor.  There is an area in that is roped off by bouys.  We were told that you could only enter with a guide.  I don't know if that is true, we stayed out.  GPS 20*21'49.48"N 87*19"55"W

We stayed at BPAkumal in September, 2009, and although the ropes were in place, we simply went under them, and nobody said a thing (of course we are VERY strong & responsible snorkelers, and the resort was practically empty). The snorkeling was excellent, IMHO!

Another place we love to snorkel is the Caribbean side of Isla Mujeres, but again, we are strong swimmers, and go in at the North-western tip of the islet of Avalon and around the eastern (Caribe) side, thru reef & underwater canyons, the coming out on Media Luna beach (VERY challenging).  UNBELIEVABLE what you can see in BOTH those places!!!

Read!
    Cooler Carrying Member
    • Total Posts : 1954
    • Reward points: 379
    RE: Snorkeling / from a Hotel Beach 2010/05/02 06:54:31 (permalink)
    t'b,
    Definitely agree, except the cat tours park more than 100 yds. out.  Do wear flotation, don't go alone!  Also, south end of Xpu-ha at old Club Maeva; again, wear flotation, don't go alone.  Also, just about any dark patch off the beach, some are turtle grass, some are coral.

I'a,
    We were at GBP-A several years ago, just after they roped off the reef.  We paid for a tour.  The devastation of twenty years' abuse was shocking, looked like a war zone, no polyps on sides or tops of coral shallower than seven feet.  It would not be a good first time snorkel(Is that all there is?), it is good to hear about recovery.  I've been using ten years as a target to personally check recovery(day pass maybe), won't be too far off, now.

Finally, last year we wound up by default at Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya on Xa'ac Cove.  I counted sixty-one species of fish without a camera and guidebook.  Our primary U/W camera died at Xel-ha and someone, I won't mention my name, didn't pack the back-up U/W camera.  The camera would have helped identify the myriad, various, brown-to-gray-to-black, longitudinally-striped fishes in the one- to four-inch range.
    Unfortunately, the reports about the various motorized watersports concession operators at GS are, in fact, true.  Either they are unaware of the wonder that is Xa'ac Cove, or they just don't care.  Go soon, before they ruin it completely.
    I have noticed new coral colonies developing in various locations in the R/M.  I've seen ten- to twenty-polyp clusters at Akumal Bay, at Yal-ku, and at Xa'ac Cove.

The "Sail and Snorkel Tour" to Isla de Mujeres and "The Snorkel Adventure" tour were the best tours we paid for in the R/M, back before we learned DIY.  Champagne at Dominica was fun, geo-thermal activity, fluctuating water temps, streams of small bubbles.  A snorkel tour at Martinique to a cave was fun, except for the swarm of thimble jellies in the last three minutes.  The underwater nature trail was an interesting experience in Barbados.  Finally, I'm torn by feelings about returning to Pennekamp...more years have passed than I care to admit...is it still spectacular or will my memories be dashed? 
    Mas aventuras, y'all!!

Richard, Mr. Read!
    Pancho
    Cooler Carrying Member
    • Total Posts : 386
    • Reward points: 1840
    RE: Snorkeling / from a Hotel Beach 2010/05/02 15:35:48 (permalink)
    [:)]  Just my two-cents.  Try Adventuras Akumal.  Get in the water just south of the Grand Riviera Maya's(used to be called the Oasis) pier and you can snorkel all the way to Villas DeRosas.  The reef and fish populations are not as healthy as twenty years ago when we first snorkeled this location but it is still a pretty good snorkel excursion.  You only have to swim out about 25 yards.  Have fun.

Pancho

Pancho
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5