Who are Kay and Gary and What about those Coolers?

Page: 12345 > Showing page 1 of 5
Author
Whale
Administrator
  • Total Posts : 6106
  • Reward points: 1918
2008/03/18 15:08:57 (permalink)

Who are Kay and Gary and What about those Coolers?

This is a repost of a message from a couple of years ago but since we have so many newbies I decided to repost it.

Who are Kay and Gary?

Kay told me about meeting a cooler carrying member of this board at an LG party who asked her what she did for a living, so for those newbies or others who don’t know the answer to this, I’ll tell you. Kay did not ask me to write this, I just did it.

Kay and Gary (sometimes called K & G) are the owners and operators of www.LocoGringo.com , an online booking agency for vacation properties on the Yucatan Peninsula of Mexico. It’s what they do, and all they do, for a living, about 14 hours a day, 5 days a week. They live full time on the Riviera Maya so they are intimately familiar with all the vacation properties which they book and they can provide a level of service that you cannot get from a travel agent in another part of the world. Their service is second to none. As a part of www.LocoGringo.com they also provide, free of charge, the forums where you are reading this message. The forums benefit everyone because they provide a place to ask questions and receive answers to help plan a vacation to the Riviera Maya and to have a little fun while doing so. And they benefit Kay and Gary because hopefully through the forums, users will learn about the services provided by www.LocoGringo.com and book their vacation through them. Kay and Gary know that not every user of the forums will use their booking service, but obviously, they hope that many of them will. Otherwise, it would make little economic sense to provide the forums.

What about the coolers?

As a way to promote interest and participation in the LocoGringo forums, Kay decided to start giving away free coolers to those who post at least 61 messages on the forums. Greekbeachgirl has volunteered to help Kay by taking orders for the coolers and sending them to Kay's sister. As a side benefit, the coolers have turned into one of the primary methods of recognition of other LocoGringos on vacation. By the time you earn your LocoGringo.com cooler you will probably be well on the way to planning your first, or next trip to the Riviera Maya. Again K & G realize that not everyone who earns a cooler will use www.LocoGringo.com to book their vacation, but again, they hope that many of you will. When you reach 61 posts just send suzieq a private message with your name and address and she will have Kay's sister send you a cooler from a location in the US. Please keep in mind that Kay is a busy lady who gets hundreds of messages a day and that she makes her living booking vacation properties, not sending out free coolers. So send your message to suzieq and not to Kay. Suzieq will get you your cooler ASAP but please don’t flood her with messages when you don’t receive a cooler right away. Just trust that she is ordering your cooler from Kay's sister and you will receive it as soon as possible. Also, don’t expect to pick up your cooler in Akumal, there are none there, they are kept in the states.

It is considered bad manners to post worthless messages just for the purpose of earning a cooler. Please participate in the discussions and earn your cooler like everyone else here. 

Who is Whale?

I live in Colorado and I am an unpaid, volunteer Administrator on LocoGringo. I do it because I love the Roo, I love helping people, and I love computers. I have no financial interest whatsoever in LocoGringo. Everything I do here I do because I enjoy it and because I can.

Have a great vacation,
Whale
post edited by Whale - 2011/01/02 22:50:48

"Don't listen to what they say. Go see." ~ Chinese proverb
"When you see, you will know" ~ Old Thurman proverb

102 Replies Related Threads

dfolsom
    LocoGringo Customer
    • Total Posts : 1394
    • Reward points: 10
    RE: Who are Kay and Gary and What about those Coolers? 2008/03/18 17:13:52 (permalink)
    Very well done Whale.
    Beachey
    Cooler Carrying Member
    • Total Posts : 4792
    • Reward points: 1783
    RE: Who are Kay and Gary and What about those Coolers? 2008/03/18 17:41:26 (permalink)
    Whale my friend, it was perfect the first time you posted it, and it's fantastic this time to!! Gracious mi amigo!!![:)]

You can't drink all day if you don't start early!!

pedrosfriend
    Cooler Carrying Member
    • Total Posts : 62
    • Reward points: 0
    RE: Who are Kay and Gary and What about those Coolers? 2008/06/26 05:21:57 (permalink)
    Thanks for the information Whale! Ofcourse we use the LG to book our stay at the ABR!! The first year we went we booked through a Swedish charter company (we didn't know about the LG then), but now we make our reservations ourselves and use the LG for everything except the flight from and to Sweden. LG is great and so helpful! We keep promoting them here in Sweden to people talking about going to Mexico.
    mexisv
    Cooler Carrying Member
    • Total Posts : 398
    RE: Who are Kay and Gary and What about those Coolers? 2008/08/02 11:03:22 (permalink)
    Thanks Whale.  Although I have been to the Mayan several times, staying at all inclusives and now in Playa I never knew who or what Kay and Gary did.  Now that I do know if in the event we book somewhere other than our hotel/apartment in Playa we will book thur Kay and Gary.

This site, along with Palladium Addict and Playa Forum has helped make our stays so much relaxing and exciting at the same time!  I like helping people when I can, hince my many postings and don't comment if I don't know the subject!

Thanks, Kay, Gary and Whale!
    RuthAndScott
    Cooler Carrying Member
    • Total Posts : 549
    • Reward points: 2484
    RE: Who are Kay and Gary and What about those Coolers? 2008/08/26 17:29:38 (permalink)
    Had I have known this a few weeks ago, I would have booked our stay thru K & G!
    Next time. For sure!
    This is such a helpful site. I love it and spend FAR TOO much time on it - shhhh, don't tell my husband

Speaking of which, I better go get dinner on.

islandstar
    • Total Posts : 12
    RE: Who are Kay and Gary and What about those Coolers? 2008/10/13 10:33:47 (permalink)
    Thanks Whale [:)] I am a "newbie" and definately appreciate the information.  I had NO idea who K&G were or that you could earn a cooler by participating in the forums!  This is a great website, I know that I'll be using it quite regularily until we leave, and hopefully I'll have one of those coolers for our next vacation to the Mayan!  [:D]
    cfdman
    Cooler Carrying Member
    • Total Posts : 163
    RE: Who are Kay and Gary and What about those Coolers? 2008/12/05 09:43:41 (permalink)
    Does anyone have a picture of said cooler? Does one pack this cooler on trip to Roo?

I want one[8D]
    Relics
    LocoGringo Customer
    • Total Posts : 47
    RE: Who are Kay and Gary and What about those Coolers? 2008/12/06 15:22:49 (permalink)
    Good questions cfdman, We were wondering the same thing. Wish we would have found these forums earlier. Would have earned a cooler by now.
    cfdman
    Cooler Carrying Member
    • Total Posts : 163
    RE: Who are Kay and Gary and What about those Coolers? 2008/12/06 16:33:55 (permalink)
    I have actually found the answer to my question. Go to the pictures section, and one of the categories is of the coolers.

Thye are small 6-pack size soft sided coolers that all appear to be tan. It is common for them to be worn over the head (I do not know how that got started). They are occasionally taken hiking and to concerts, then photographed for posterity. Some folks have numerous signatures decorating the outside of the cooler, again I have no idea why.

IU am looking forward to getting my own, wearing it my head, having it signed, and taking it places to be photographed. I don't know why I want to do this, im the sheep - not the dog.

becktopher
    LocoGringo Customer
    • Total Posts : 115
    RE: Who are Kay and Gary and What about those Coolers? 2009/01/01 12:22:24 (permalink)
    This was great info!  I, too have been wondering about the coolers.  It is nice to know more about LG and its founders.  I have used them twice now to book Akumal vacations and will use them in the future as well!
    Whale
    Administrator
    RE: Who are Kay and Gary and What about those Coolers? 2009/01/01 13:40:58 (permalink)
    Here is the link to the pictures of LG coolers from a few years back. The coolers are the same now except that the current ones are yellow instead of white like the ones in these pictures. hint: If you see a white LG cooler it's owner has been a member of LG for at least a few years. The white ones are no longer available.

My favorite cooler picture of all time is the one of Suzieq getting her Akumal turtle tattoo while wearing her cooler hat for comfort. I think it had something to do with keeping your brain cool under pressure.

dragonboater1
    Cooler Carrying Member
    • Total Posts : 133
    RE: Who are Kay and Gary and What about those Coolers? 2009/01/11 11:54:45 (permalink)
    awesome idea with the coolers.....can't wait to receive one!
    boyzmom33
    • Total Posts : 14
    RE: Who are Kay and Gary and What about those Coolers? 2009/01/21 11:33:13 (permalink)
    great idea! I think the pics add a little class, don't cha think? lol
    LocoEh
    Cooler Carrying Member
    • Total Posts : 111
    • Reward points: 221
    RE: Who are Kay and Gary and What about those Coolers? 2009/01/22 21:59:26 (permalink)
    OK Whale this is a Newbie question. I know a lot of people will be in Akumal for the Party on Feb. 9th so visiting Akumal Bay in the next couple of days after  I may meet a cooler toting  Member. Not wanting to offend  this high ranking LG memeber , beside a Hola LocoGringo what would be appropriate way to introduce myself as an LG member.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
    Whale
    Administrator
    RE: Who are Kay and Gary and What about those Coolers? 2009/01/22 23:14:28 (permalink)
    Just ask anyone you see who you think qualifies if they are a LocoGringo. If they give you a look like "are you nuts?" they aren't. If they offer to buy you a beer, take you snorkeling or show you where the webcam is, they are. You can also just sit by the webcam and wait till somebody comes up and strikes a pose. It won't be long and they will almost certainly be a LocoGringo. In fact, sitting on the deck of the Lol Ha beach bar with a margarita and watching people in front of the webcam is a great way to spend a few hours. Just call those you see over to your table and introduce yourself.

dirkltx
    Cooler Carrying Member
    • Total Posts : 1289
    • Reward points: 640
    RE: Who are Kay and Gary and What about those Coolers? 2009/01/26 13:18:14 (permalink)
    Party on Feb. 9th? We're staying just down the road. Is this a invitation only party or may we crash it.  Thanks LocoEh, I was wondering the same thing.

ORIGINAL: LocoEh

OK Whale this is a Newbie question. I know a lot of people will be in Akumal for the Party on Feb. 9th so visiting Akumal Bay in the next couple of days after  I may meet a cooler toting  Member. Not wanting to offend  this high ranking LG memeber , beside a Hola LocoGringo what would be appropriate way to introduce myself as an LG member.

greenga
    Cooler Carrying Member
    • Total Posts : 3863
    • Reward points: 881
    RE: Who are Kay and Gary and What about those Coolers? 2009/01/26 13:32:13 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: dirkltx

Party on Feb. 9th? We're staying just down the road. Is this a invitation only party or may we crash it.  Thanks LocoEh, I was wondering the same thing.

ORIGINAL: LocoEh

dirkltx - look up the thread under LG parties for the Full Moon Feb 9th party and post on there asking to be added to the list!  Come one come all!!! 

LocoEh - there's no formality or appropriate way (well....) to introduce yourself to someone with a cooler.  It will be my first time down, but I believe one of the reasons for carrying an LG cooler is so others will spot you and come say hi!  I'm sure they will have a sharpie handy too so you can autograph their cooler!  You are invited to the 9th Full Moon party too you know [:)]
    Kingfisher
    LocoGringo Customer
    • Total Posts : 970
    • Reward points: 1053
    RE: Who are Kay and Gary and What about those Coolers? 2009/01/26 13:56:45 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Whale

Just ask anyone you see who you think qualifies if they are a LocoGringo. If they give you a look like "are you nuts?" they aren't. If they offer to buy you a beer, take you snorkeling or show you where the webcam is, they are. You can also just sit by the webcam and wait till somebody comes up and strikes a pose. It won't be long and they will almost certainly be a LocoGringo. In fact, sitting on the deck of the Lol Ha beach bar with a margarita and watching people in front of the webcam is a great way to spend a few hours. Just call those you see over to your table and introduce yourself.

But whale you didn't mention the secret handshake and of course the famous LG kiss
    greenga
    Cooler Carrying Member
    RE: Who are Kay and Gary and What about those Coolers? 2009/01/26 14:03:01 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Kingfisher

But whale you didn't mention the secret handshake and of course the famous LG kiss

now I'm getting scared....
    dragonboater1
    Cooler Carrying Member
    • Total Posts : 133
    RE: Who are Kay and Gary and What about those Coolers? 2009/01/26 14:06:54 (permalink)
    I'm with you greenga.....little scared about the handshake and kiss thing after seeing Kingfisher's centerfold!!! LOL
    greenga
    Cooler Carrying Member
    RE: Who are Kay and Gary and What about those Coolers? 2009/01/26 14:18:27 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: dragonboater1

I'm with you greenga.....little scared about the handshake and kiss thing after seeing Kingfisher's centerfold!!! LOL

Yikes!!!  I'd forgotten all about that!  lol
    LocoEh
    Cooler Carrying Member
    RE: Who are Kay and Gary and What about those Coolers? 2009/01/26 17:31:16 (permalink)
    Ok enough, you ladies are starting to scare me. LOL.  I not sure about the special hugs and Kisses thing but it must be a well kept Loco Gringo secret  and we can all keep it in the closet. As far as Kingfisher I'm not going there. I have all ready posted about the party on the 9th but will be looking for those new cooler bags the next couple of days after the 9th. So if some ask you on the beach "Loco Eh" just smile and hand me the Sharpie, I can't imagine the ritual of meeting a member any other way.    

Kingfisher
    LocoGringo Customer
    • Total Posts : 970
    • Reward points: 1053
    RE: Who are Kay and Gary and What about those Coolers? 2009/01/28 22:30:16 (permalink)
     LocoEh, I really do hope to meet up with you, perhaps I can let you know what the password to the Loco gringo games room is and we can bypass the initiation  .
    LocoEh
    Cooler Carrying Member
    RE: Who are Kay and Gary and What about those Coolers? 2009/01/29 11:27:25 (permalink)
    Kingfisher I assume you have a cooler?? Just keep it visible the week of Feb 9th. I'll even buy you a beer. I need to know more about the games room. Does Greenga always keep secrets from Newbies???? 

Page: 12345 > Showing page 1 of 5
    Jump to:
    © 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5