Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Badger
LocoGringo Customer
  • Total Posts : 8487
2020/03/17 07:05:05 (permalink)
5 (5)

The World Is A Dimmer Place, TwirleyB Is Gone

Our dear friend Twirley, aka Twirls, aka Holly, aka Hurricane Holly, has left this world, after a mercifully short but courageous battle with cancer. Her best friend Jan was at her side and assured me that she did not suffer in the least. Jan said that one of her last requests was that this thread be started so that people could share their thoughts, stories, photos, etc. I hope that those of you who knew her personally will do so, and even those who knew her only by her posts and many adventures she shared here would be welcome to share their thoughts. 
Holly was one of the most unique individuals I have ever met, she made me laugh, she made me smile, I will always treasure the time we had together in Mexico and here in the states. She was a true and dear friend.
I will post here again soon, but right now it is difficult to see the keyboard through my tears.

Wag more....bark less.

49 Replies Related Threads

janjon
    Ultimate Member
    • Total Posts : 7768
    Re: The World Is A Dimmer Place, TwirleyB Is Gone 2020/03/17 07:53:15 (permalink)
    +4 (4)
    My heart hurts. 

I will miss her stories of the shenanigans she found herself in..
    She used to stay at my house for a night on the way to Mexico.  Mr JJ or I would run her to the airport.  There were many times, she had us bent over holding our stomachs, trying to catch our breath, with tears falling from laughing so hard.  She was one of the best story tellers ever.  And she had a lot. 
    She was a good friend, and I am glad she was a part of my life. I learned a lot from her. 
    I spoke with her about 3 weeks ago. We both knew it would be the last time we would talk to each other, ending with I love you.  I will carry her kind words from that conversation with me. 

I will miss her free spirit.
    I'm sure she rode in to Heaven topless. 

When my nights start with margaritas, they end with happiness!
    PJamigo
    Ultimate Member
    • Total Posts : 8666
    Re: The World Is A Dimmer Place, TwirleyB Is Gone 2020/03/17 08:02:01 (permalink)
    Paul thank you for letting us know.  My heart is weeping.
    Twirls was one of a kind.  This world will certainly miss her.  
    She is with her beloved Jay and other family members now. 
    Celebrating in heaven.   Heaven is about to get some entertaining stories
    and a bit of organization.  Hugs 

BeachBilly
    Ultimate Member
    • Total Posts : 6877
    Re: The World Is A Dimmer Place, TwirleyB Is Gone 2020/03/17 08:05:50 (permalink)
    My heart is broken I am so thankful for our PoMo get together last May. I will cherish those memories forever. Words really escape me now. I love you all.

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment
    of animals" ~Immanuel Kant

maplesyrup
    LocoGringo Customer
    • Total Posts : 2547
    Re: The World Is A Dimmer Place, TwirleyB Is Gone 2020/03/17 08:10:45 (permalink)
    DAMN IT!!!😭😭😭

maplesyrup
    LocoGringo Customer
    Re: The World Is A Dimmer Place, TwirleyB Is Gone 2020/03/17 08:18:05 (permalink)
    Sweetie just called me to let me know.😩
    We barely had time to know you, Holly. !😞
    We’ll cherish the memories of time well spent with you in MX. Hasta luego , amiga!💔

MARKHNH
    LocoGringo Customer
    • Total Posts : 2252
    Re: The World Is A Dimmer Place, TwirleyB Is Gone 2020/03/17 10:50:24 (permalink)
    Twirly and her stories will definitely be missed.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

Macmaniac
    LocoGringo Customer
    • Total Posts : 143
    Re: The World Is A Dimmer Place, TwirleyB Is Gone 2020/03/17 12:28:55 (permalink)
    The sound of your voice, the stories you told, the sheer force of your personality will be missed.
    Pollo Pollo! 

Find a place inside where there's joy, and the joy will burn out the pain.

crunch
    Ultimate Member
    • Total Posts : 29473
    Re: The World Is A Dimmer Place, TwirleyB Is Gone 2020/03/17 12:42:28 (permalink)
    I just wish I had gotten a chance to meet her because she sure made me laugh. 
    Gem
    Cooler Carrying Member
    • Total Posts : 2447
    Re: The World Is A Dimmer Place, TwirleyB Is Gone 2020/03/17 13:31:04 (permalink)
    My heart aches.  She was definitely one of a kind.  We are all better from knowing her, she brought so much joy and laughter to everyone.  Knowing her, she's probably got a huge spread of corned beef and cabbage and green beer for everyone in heaven today...boy are they all in for a party!  I am just grateful that she is no longer suffering.

Beachey
    Cooler Carrying Member
    • Total Posts : 4796
    Re: The World Is A Dimmer Place, TwirleyB Is Gone 2020/03/17 13:49:21 (permalink)
    Vaya con dios my dear friend Holly!! I will always remember our many good times shared on the beach we all love.
    post edited by Beachey - 2020/03/17 19:05:26

You can't drink all day if you don't start early!!

Kwing
    Ultimate Member
    • Total Posts : 8221
    Re: The World Is A Dimmer Place, TwirleyB Is Gone 2020/03/17 16:55:16 (permalink)
    Paul, alot of fond memories and pics on Facebook today.  She will be missed and she is resting with Jay and her mom now.

Paul you are a good friend .
    Jamie
    LocoGringo Customer
    • Total Posts : 3798
    Re: The World Is A Dimmer Place, TwirleyB Is Gone 2020/03/17 17:00:22 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    Paul, thank you for letting us know, it must have been difficult for you to write that since you were such good friends. I am so glad to hear her passing was without pain.

It was a lucky day for me when Holly posted here on LG 9-10 years ago looking for someone to share condo expenses with, and we had a wonderful (and NEVER dull) time that year and on 3-4 subsequent trips.
    Hopefully she is sitting on the terrace of Heaven's version of Lol-Ha having her favorite breakfast of Eggs Benedict and staring out at the water. Seemed like she could gaze at it forever and never seemed to tire of it.
    Once I asked her to think about coming to Puerto Vallarta with me and described it to her, with the mountains coming right down to the water, and she just smiled and told me she  was sure it was very pretty but she was a "turquoise water kinda gal".
    maplesyrup
    LocoGringo Customer
    Re: The World Is A Dimmer Place, TwirleyB Is Gone 2020/03/17 18:02:59 (permalink)
    Kwing 

Paul you are a good friend .

Truth! 

Thanks for that story, Jamie. That water will always remind me...

Hugs to everyone.

Bob in Milw
    Cooler Carrying Member
    • Total Posts : 3909
    Re: The World Is A Dimmer Place, TwirleyB Is Gone 2020/03/17 19:12:58 (permalink)
    I'm in shock to hear this terrible news. Had no clue she was sick.
    She was one super cool chica. I'm glad I had the opportunity to vacation with her on several occasions. 
    I hope the old gang all comes back here to pay their respects to Holly with their stories and pics. She would like that.
    Miss ya Amiga, RIP
    Peace, Bimmy

patty1975
    Cooler Carrying Member
    • Total Posts : 162
    Re: The World Is A Dimmer Place, TwirleyB Is Gone 2020/03/17 19:34:20 (permalink)
    I’ve been putting this off today. I just lost my oldest brother to cancer on February 18th (visited him and three days later he was gone). And that doesn't count my sister who is in her third year of battling stage 4 ovarian cancer. Now this. Damn it. #CancerSux #FUCancer

I met Holly in 2009 at the LolHa, the same year I met Jamie, Bernie and Troy (Bernie, please don’t post those pictures). I saw her off and on as our visits to Mexico coincided; she was a Missouri gal so we had that in common.

Last saw her in December in PoMo. I’m going to post the last pictures I have of her - there may be others in the picture but you will at least get to see her when she was last in her happy place. We all had fun. Holly had a very unique personality, unlike anyone I ever met before. She had a heart of gold and would do anything for you if needed. She loved her animals and we all knew it. Generous to a fault. If you needed something and she had it, it was yours (except her purses).

Just realized I have pictures from her last beach crawl. We had a great time that day.

Vaya con dios, Holly. Tell Tortuga Tom we all say Hi.

post edited by patty1975 - 2020/03/17 20:02:10
    mayajerney
    LocoGringo Customer
    • Total Posts : 4035
    Re: The World Is A Dimmer Place, TwirleyB Is Gone 2020/03/17 20:36:15 (permalink)
    +4 (4)
    Oh Holly...sigh. I can't believe you are gone. Bimmie posted on facebook that some of us "oldies" should come back to LG and post about our adventures with Miss Twirley, so here I am. In your honor Amiga.  I have so many.... The stories we could have told...the stories we did tell. So many good times in Mexico with my travel buddy. Our stories about our exploits in Mexico are well documented so I will spare you all a repeat of those and go to another.  My favorite trip of all time wasn't to Mexico. It was to Phoenix and Tuscon. 3 Different hotels in 4 days. A crazy drive thru the desert after a night of too much wine. "Bring my water will you Maya, I'm going to need it." Yes, Maya brought the water, 2 gallons..haha. Like I said, too much wine and I think she had something harder than wine after I passed out.  One fine "managers happy hour" at Embassy Suites that was preceded with Holly leaving the room door open while she changed clothes and the next thing I know, there's a guy in our room. I can't remember his name but I can definitely remember the look on his face. I bet he never met anyone like Hollis before and has not since. I think he was a little bit scared..haha!  He was a lot younger than either of us and I am sure he thought these two old broads were plumb nuts. I was thinking that myself. We didn't know this guy from Adam and he was in our hotel room because Holly told him to come in if he wanted to smoke something. Omg. Holly are you crazy...lol. Quick answer...YES.  We drank some wine and laughed until I swear we couldn't laugh anymore. Then we went up to the Managers Happy Hour and did it all over again for a few hours. Y'all know Holly's crazy stories and she had an audience that she had plied with alcohol...she was in her element and it was a fine place to be. She had tears of laughter rolling down his face all evening. That was our Holly. No matter what kind of day you were having, she would bring you up and have you wishing you could breathe with those crazy stories. Later she made reservations at an amazing restaurant and we were off again (on the hotel shuttle cause she wasn't in any shape to drive...lol). Ryan Newman's pit crew was on the patio and she made sure we had some drinks with them because, as she told them, "This is Maya and she is the biggest Nascar fan ever." She never met a stranger and when we were traveling together it just made me love her all the more.  I only saw her somber (not sober but somber...lol)once. She was a little worried  when we had to backtrack our steps several blocks to find her passport after I noticed her bag was hanging open on the streets of Playa...we did find it, right next to the car where we parked it, complete with two young kids who she paid $1 each to watch the car. They both pointed to it where it lay on the ground..and she gave them each another $1 and a pat on the head and that was that. Those two were still waiting patiently by our car when we got back from dinner that night. I can still hear Jesus from Easyway reminding her..." Now remember Holly, there ees no smoking in the car." and then he would wink at her. I remember the night when Cammie came in, I was leaving the next day, and we went to a very nice Italian restaurant in Playa after we picked her up at the airport...she had built this place up all day and we were starving. She ordered for us all and when the main course came, Cammie took one bite and in her very southern drawl, looked at Holly and said, "Well Hollis this tastes like Chef-Boy-Ardee. To which Holly replied, "I don't care, eat it anyway" in the most deadpan voice she could make. I spit my wine all the way across the table...lol. I did a lot of wine spitting with Holly...heehee. The last time I saw Holly was about a year ago. I stopped by her house on my way home from Oklahoma with my sister. I knew she wasn't doing well, she had lost so much weight, then but she insisted she was fine and gave us the grand tour of the house and then laid out a great lunch for us. I never dreamed it would be the last time I would get to hug her skinny self. I love you Holly, I always will. You made my life so much better. You may be gone but you left me with a big dose of your spirit inside my soul and I will let that shine thru every chance I get.  

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness — all foes to real understanding."
    ---Mark Twain

"We Are The People Our Parents Warned Us About."
    ---Jimmy Buffett
    CallMeFrank
    LocoGringo Customer
    • Total Posts : 6067
    Re: The World Is A Dimmer Place, TwirleyB Is Gone 2020/03/17 20:54:18 (permalink)
    Don't have the words.  Will miss her misadventures. RIP Holly
    ChrisandCindy
    Ultimate Member
    • Total Posts : 10360
    Re: The World Is A Dimmer Place, TwirleyB Is Gone 2020/03/18 09:10:10 (permalink)
    Holly visited at our house about 3 years ago. She wanted to go wine shopping and took several of us for a ride in Roxanne; topless of course. Babs and I were sitting in the back hanging on for dear life, that gal really liked to put the pedal to the metal! But we all made it back safely and were more than ready for several glasses of wine.
    She was a born storyteller, and she had plenty of doozies. Her heart was as big as those turquoise waters she loved. The world is an emptier place without her, but I know she is entertaining all of heaven. 
    You are missed, TwirlyB.

Video
    Pix
    YouTube

A smile is the same in every language
    Catalina
    Cooler Carrying Member
    • Total Posts : 484
    Re: The World Is A Dimmer Place, TwirleyB Is Gone 2020/03/18 09:13:41 (permalink)
    The world has definitely become a dimmer place and I am pretty sure that Holly took a little piece of each of our hearts with her!

I have so many memories of Twirley to share but will just start with a photo of the day I met my very first LocoGringo on February 11, 2005. I met Holly and Lucy at Mom Betty's the day before they were leaving for Akumal, and I immediately felt like part of the family.

I did NOT promise no tears but they are falling so I will leave you with one of my first memories of Holly.

post edited by Catalina - 2020/03/21 12:54:00
    Gem
    Cooler Carrying Member
    • Total Posts : 2447
    Re: The World Is A Dimmer Place, TwirleyB Is Gone 2020/03/18 18:51:14 (permalink)
    +2 (4)
    Shana and I also had a few rides in Roxanne, topless of course, when we spent 5 days at Holly's in Nixa.  At one point, I read 115 on the speedometer,  I was hanging on tight in the backseat, oh Lordy!  This was after she clipped the rearview mirror on a bridge up on Table Rock!  Pretty sure Shana and I drank a case of cervesa when we got back to Holly's that night.  And I can never again watch another episode of Grace and Frankie without thinking of her.  We binged it for 2 days while it rained during our visit.  Oh how we laughed.  And the times in MX,  my hope was to accompany her on her last trip to the place she loved.  But alas, the big guy above decided he needed her more (must have needed some good entertainment in heaven)
    Oh how we love our TwirleyB.    Pretty sure I had my fingers crossed when she made me promise "no tears allowed"  She touched us all... 

ScubaBum
    Ultimate Member
    • Total Posts : 9887
    Re: The World Is A Dimmer Place, TwirleyB Is Gone 2020/03/19 14:18:59 (permalink)
    I miss Holly so much.  She was my sister.  How do you upload pix in this forum nowadays?
    Beach Bernie
    LocoGringo Customer
    • Total Posts : 2999
    Re: The World Is A Dimmer Place, TwirleyB Is Gone 2020/03/20 08:33:49 (permalink)
    +3 (3)
    Remembering my best ever beach buddy. Love you holly girl !

Weekend at Bernie's
    Catalina
    Cooler Carrying Member
    Re: The World Is A Dimmer Place, TwirleyB Is Gone 2020/03/21 08:09:52 (permalink)
    I forgot to mention in my last post that at the time I met Holly, she was still shirleybird. She told me a long time ago the reason she used that name, and I hope someone might remember??

Anyway, Gem she definitely loved going topless and even posing that way. LOL

On this warm night in October 2013, we were celebrating the fact that Mom Betty's house was almost ready to be put on the market to sell. Holly's friend Jug came over with his Corvette, and they went for several spins around the neighborhood.

After that we drank a bit too much wine and then the show was on!

I still cannot wrap my head around what has happened, but this girl will always have a place in my heart.

post edited by Catalina - 2020/03/21 13:01:33
    Catalina
    Cooler Carrying Member
    Re: The World Is A Dimmer Place, TwirleyB Is Gone 2020/03/21 08:13:26 (permalink)
    ScubaBum
    I miss Holly so much.  She was my sister.  How do you upload pix in this forum nowadays?

ScubaBum just upload your photos to google photos and right-click on the pic and choose copy image and then come here and click paste. Hope this helps.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2020 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5