Author
TeriA
LocoGringo Customer
  • Total Posts : 1614
  • Reward points: 1729
2018/09/04 22:44:23 (permalink)
5 (1)

9th trip to ABBWR Oct 8th thru the 17th 2018

So excited to head back our home under the sun.  Just 33 days til we leave out of the Salt Lake International Airport on American Airlines, connecting through Phoenix airport.  With so many mixed reviews about all of the various airlines it was stressful trying to decide who to fly with, but, in the end, we chose AA.  Our determination to never again fly Frontier Airlines pushed us to at least give American a try.  At least they don't charge for ever little thing, like carryon bags, the way Frontier does, plus, also unlike Frontier, AA has in flight entertainment and wifi.  Frontier has basically stripped their aircraft of anything comfort related and charge for every little thing.  Their aircraft are aging and their staff are clearly overworked and stressed.  

So, we venture into new territory with American.  Hoping the bad reviews I've seen aren't the norm.  

Packing will begin this week, as I am a meticulous list maker and notorious overpacker.  I'm really trying to keep things under control, so, starting now means I can weigh the bags, see what kind of space I am taking up, and calmly make decisions.  Now, DH is just the opposite.  He will pack the day before.  

We have book a Jr Suite and are asking for third floor in building three, but, will be happy wherever we are.  Our flight gets into Cancun airport at 3pm, so, we should be at ABBWR in time for dinner.  I will try to update this report everyday, but, well, ya know, it's vacay time.  

" title=" ">

16 Replies Related Threads

Mayan Boar
    LocoGringo Customer
    • Total Posts : 1860
    • Reward points: 2921
    Re: 9th trip to ABBWR Oct 8th thru the 17th 2018 2018/09/05 20:16:10 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    Hola, TeriA,  I'll be down 10/3-13.  Maybe our paths will cross.  I will be staying in Norte Akumal.  Hope you have a beautiful trip and I am also an over packer can no longer do since Sun Country airlines was sold and changed their policy for carry on items.  Still a checked bag for free as long as you are a Sun Country credit card holder which I am.  My carry on will be my  laptop and a few personal items. Enjoy.  MB

9KrazyCats
    LocoGringo Customer
    • Total Posts : 1391
    • Reward points: 1711
    Re: 9th trip to ABBWR Oct 8th thru the 17th 2018 2018/09/09 17:16:11 (permalink)
    I'll be watching for your reports.  Especially the update on the sargassum.  We'll be on Half Moon Bay Nov 4th. 
    TeriA
    LocoGringo Customer
    Re: 9th trip to ABBWR Oct 8th thru the 17th 2018 2018/09/09 23:54:18 (permalink)
    Mayan Boar
    Hola, TeriA,  I'll be down 10/3-13.  Maybe our paths will cross.  I will be staying in Norte Akumal.  Hope you have a beautiful trip and I am also an over packer can no longer do since Sun Country airlines was sold and changed their policy for carry on items.  Still a checked bag for free as long as you are a Sun Country credit card holder which I am.  My carry on will be my  laptop and a few personal items. Enjoy.  MB

It would be great if we did cross paths.  I'll keep a look out.  We are really hoping to get off the resort as much as possible this time, but, it's been such a stressful year that laying on the beach and doing absolutely nothing is going to be hard to resist. 

" title=" ">

TeriA
    LocoGringo Customer
    Re: 9th trip to ABBWR Oct 8th thru the 17th 2018 2018/10/01 02:34:29 (permalink)

Update 10-1-18

About half packed, and it's time to start watching the weather reports for hurricanes that may affect our trip.  We're not too worried, but, you just always need to have your situational awareness when traveling.

Today we are picking up Mexican Pesos.  The exchange rate should be around 17 to 1 Pesos to US dollars.  Hoping to get that rate.  We will be getting mostly small bills for tips.  We can always get more Pesos at the resort should we need them.

Everything is booked and paid for except our luggage, which we can pay for when we check in on Sunday.  It's gettin real now, just 6 days left til we leave.

We're both tanning ahead of the trip to try to limit the amount of sun burn we might get.  The Mexican sun is much stronger than here in Utah.  Its so easy to get a burn and ruin part of your trip if you don't prepare your skin.  Plus, sunburn is a greater cause of skin cancer than gradual tanning.  Neither is really preferred, but, burning is the greater of the two evils so to speak.

" title=" ">

Mayan Boar
    LocoGringo Customer
    Re: 9th trip to ABBWR Oct 8th thru the 17th 2018 2018/10/02 17:49:23 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    Hola TeriA.  Wheels up for me tomorrow early. I do a walk about early morning after coffee and sunrise usually down to Akumal arch or at the very least HMB.  Hope you have a fabulous time, relax and enjoy the sea breezes.   I'll be on the look out for you and hubby.  MB
    post edited by Mayan Boar - 2018/10/02 17:50:33

9KrazyCats
    LocoGringo Customer
    Re: 9th trip to ABBWR Oct 8th thru the 17th 2018 2018/10/02 22:26:21 (permalink)
    Looking forward to some reports and pictures as we will be heading there Nov. 4th.
    TeriA
    LocoGringo Customer
    Re: 9th trip to ABBWR Oct 8th thru the 17th 2018 2018/10/03 04:42:27 (permalink)
    Mayan Boar
    Hola TeriA.  Wheels up for me tomorrow early. I do a walk about early morning after coffee and sunrise usually down to Akumal arch or at the very least HMB.  Hope you have a fabulous time, relax and enjoy the sea breezes.   I'll be on the look out for you and hubby.  MB

so exciting.  Safe travels and see ya there!!!

" title=" ">

TeriA
    LocoGringo Customer
    Re: 9th trip to ABBWR Oct 8th thru the 17th 2018 (update 10/12/18) 2018/10/12 11:02:42 (permalink)
    -1 (1)
    Well, I had some login issues and my tablet didnt have my password memorized, so, a few days late on this update, but, better late than never.  

We arrived at just after 3pm flying American airlines.  The reviews made us nervous, but, so far, this trip has been fine,  I was a little miffed in Phoenix when there were three people running the gate desk, but, only one was processing last minute stuff,  The plane was ready to board, but, we were standing waiting while the one person was doing all the work and the other two could have been boarding us.

Anyway, that aside, the flights were great, pilots very skilled, crew hard working and friendly, and the in flight entertainment was a plus.

We flew in while the area was surrounded by Tropical storm MIchael and I was extremely impressed with the navigating around and then under the storm that the pilot and his crew did.  Smooth and no real turbulence.  Two thumbs up for them,

USA transfers was waiting after we cleared customs, which, by the way, still had the red light green light set up, so while terminal 4 is without it, terminal 3 still has it, and you still fill out the forms we always have,

The whole area, especially around the airport was crawling with the Mexican military.  Our driver said it was due to the new President arriving.  The drive down was pleasant,  One hour and twenty minutes later we were pulling up to the Jurrasic Park-like gates to the Akumal Bay Beach and Wellness Resort,  A short jaunt down the driveway and we were back home, finally, after a long and stressful year, we made it back to our favorite place on earth,

First things first, big hugs with Lele, and chatting with the sweet girls at the front desk.  Then, checked into our room in building 3.  The tropical storm Michael brushed by the peninsula but we only saw clouds and some distant lightning,  The waves are up a bit, and that makes for a great night sleep listening to them.  

Dinner at the buffet was another reunion, this time with Lemuel and Wilberth,  I love that they pronounce my name correctly.  Teresa (teh ray sah).  In the states I am always Theresa (teh ree sah)  which is not my name, but, I get tired of correcting people. 

The buffet offerings are top notch.  Great grilled fish, just tons of different entree.  We never go away hungry, far from it.

After a long travel day, we made an early night of it. 

10/12/18

We've had a great few days.  The weather was, as usual, predicted to be pretty much constant rain, but, we didn't get any til last night after about midnight I think it was.  It poured, rained gatos and perros, about half the night.  We had to sleep with the balcony door open, due to the rain stirring up a nasty smell in the jungle.  This morning, just to have a little treat, we asked for aromatherapy in our room, and it smells amazing.  

We've run into everyone except Marianne.  She is planning to be here tonight, so, that will be great.  Last night the rock band played, absolutely one of the best bands this resort has booked.  They play every monday and thursday nights.  I know the resort is going for a certain look, but, that huge glass table in the middle of the main bar really needs to be on wheels and moved for dancing.  It just gets in the way.

Snorkeling has been iffy due to the water being so churned up but today it looks fairly perfect.  Short fins are allowed, so, thats at least something.  The prohibited area is about huge.  But there is still plenty of area for snorkeling.  Word has it there is another nurse shark out by the reef, so, that's fun.  

" title=" ">

tooter
    LocoGringo Customer
    • Total Posts : 229
    • Reward points: 1191
    Re: 9th trip to ABBWR Oct 8th thru the 17th 2018 (update 10/12/18) 2018/10/13 10:40:51 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    You took me to Akumal this morning.  Thank You!
    TeriA
    LocoGringo Customer
    Re: 9th trip to ABBWR Oct 8th thru the 17th 2018 (update 10/13/18) 2018/10/13 15:33:46 (permalink)

The weather has been amazing.  Hotter than we expected for October, and when we get home on Wed night we will be stepping into freezing temps, so, we are definitely not complaining about the heat here.  Days are in the upper 80's and nights are mid 70's Farenheit.  Very little for rain, even though the weather sites are all saying rain every day.  

Tropical storm Michael was an off shore event, just causing some waves and churnned up sand 

" title=" ">

water baby
    Cooler Carrying Member
    • Total Posts : 755
    • Reward points: 1902
    Re: 9th trip to ABBWR Oct 8th thru the 17th 2018 (update 10/12/18) 2018/10/13 15:44:11 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    Thanks for the T.R. update! I just looked at the webcam and it's a pretty calm and sunny day with little sargassum.  It seems like for the last week it hasn't been too bad. Isn't it so nice to see our friends there at the resort?! I can hardly wait until we arrive in November to see everyone  I'm very happy that the hurricane missed the area including Cozumel. Quite the disaster for the U.S. though Have a super time and I look forward to hearing more!
    TeriA
    LocoGringo Customer
    Re: 9th trip to ABBWR Oct 8th thru the 17th 2018 (update 10/14/18) 2018/10/14 16:05:12 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    Update 10/14/18

Just three left in our trip, time , as usual has flown by.  The water the past
    two days has been calm and clear, great snorkeling.  Winds are starting to pick up this afternoon.  This morning the sargassum was piled up a bit, but, nothing bad at all.

Beach volleyball is in full swing and its in front of the Sushi bar.  The nightly entertainment has been really good this trip.  Last night was the rock band the Bean Heads.  They played a pretty good variety of rock favorites, and did a respectable rendition of Chuck Barry's guitar solo in Johnny B Good.

Tonight the other rock band plays, they are fantastic.

Choco Alex is the manager of the animacion team, just started two months ago, which means Vanilla Alex has more Marianne and the wee one.

Had dinner at the Gourmet on Jesus' last night.  He now works day shift at the snack bar.

So far the trip couldnt be better

This mornings sunrise was spectacular.

" title=" ">

crunch
    Ultimate Member
    • Total Posts : 29009
    • Reward points: 1700
    Re: 9th trip to ABBWR Oct 8th thru the 17th 2018 (update 10/14/18) 2018/10/15 06:43:52 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    Great report.  I am really glad the weather and everything else has been all you hoped for and needed.
    Mayan Boar
    LocoGringo Customer
    Re: 9th trip to ABBWR Oct 8th thru the 17th 2018 (update 10/14/18) 2018/10/16 17:49:31 (permalink)
    TeriA, thanks for your trip report and sorry we didn't connect while there.  I did not do a TR like you, but did give mini daily updates and pics on the Breakfast Club thread.  Glad you guys enjoyed yourselves.  MB

9KrazyCats
    LocoGringo Customer
    Re: 9th trip to ABBWR Oct 8th thru the 17th 2018 (update 10/14/18) 2018/10/16 23:29:34 (permalink)
    Nice report!  (I've also been watching your posts MB on the breakfast club). 
    TeriA
    LocoGringo Customer
    Re: 9th trip to ABBWR Oct 8th thru the 17th 2018 (update 10/14/18) 2018/11/01 04:34:01 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    Mayan Boar
    TeriA, thanks for your trip report and sorry we didn't connect while there.  I did not do a TR like you, but did give mini daily updates and pics on the Breakfast Club thread.  Glad you guys enjoyed yourselves.  MB

Thanks, ya I ran into a couple of LGrs but, mostly just hung out in front of building 3, a lot quieter and that was what we wanted most.  I've got more I am posting this week.  

" title=" ">

Jump to:
    © 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5