Fourteen murdered in just 36 hours in Cancun

Author
Tricky
Cooler Carrying Member
  • Total Posts : 262
  • Reward points: 1792
2018/04/11 19:19:14 (permalink)

Fourteen murdered in just 36 hours in Cancun

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5604855/Fourteen-murdered-just-36-hours-Cancun.html

13 Replies Related Threads

Tricky
    Cooler Carrying Member
    Re: Fourteen murdered in just 36 hours in Cancun 2018/04/26 20:39:12 (permalink)
    Sweet, five bodies stuffed in a Mazda.

Mrs. Tricky is full on cancel.
    crunch
    Ultimate Member
    • Total Posts : 28995
    • Reward points: 1582
    Re: Fourteen murdered in just 36 hours in Cancun 2018/04/27 06:41:12 (permalink)
    That is too bad.  Hate to see this happening in the area.  I still feel comfortable going since I am not around the areas where all this narco stuff is going on.  In fact will be in Cozumel in 2 weeks.

We went to Acapulco 15 years ago and were very careful where we went. That place was scary.  Although fine in the tourist and hotel area.  
    post edited by crunch - 2018/04/27 06:43:08
    pato
    Cooler Carrying Member
    • Total Posts : 346
    • Reward points: 1478
    Re: Fourteen murdered in just 36 hours in Cancun 2018/04/27 07:53:13 (permalink)
    This can happen anywhere...even the US of A.

http://www.latimes.com/na...ce-20140707-story.html
    kingofsea
    Cooler Carrying Member
    • Total Posts : 445
    • Reward points: 1504
    Re: Fourteen murdered in just 36 hours in Cancun 2018/04/27 08:47:29 (permalink)
    Chicago
    TeriA
    LocoGringo Customer
    • Total Posts : 1602
    • Reward points: 1615
    Re: Fourteen murdered in just 36 hours in Cancun 2018/04/27 22:35:56 (permalink)
    I have to be honest, I am watching this as it all develops.  I have always told people how safe I feel in Akumal, and in the Yucatan Peninsula in general, but, things are scary dangerous in other parts of Mexico, mostly the west coast and big cities, so, I pray this is brought under control and doesn't become a trend.  We still plan to come down in October.  I wonder though, are the tourism numbers dropping?  Is this having an impact?  Is it being over blown by the media, cuz we know that never happens.  I would love to hear those who live there weigh in on what's actually going on.

Also, I avoid the areas in the US where it's known to be dangerous, like Chicago, Detroit, etc. 

post edited by TeriA - 2018/04/27 22:37:02

" title=" ">

bassguy66
    Cooler Carrying Member
    • Total Posts : 323
    • Reward points: 781
    Re: Fourteen murdered in just 36 hours in Cancun 2018/05/02 09:29:33 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    The cartels have found an area to make lots of $$ selling drugs. Anyone who thinks this is going away isn't being very realistic. The cartels do what they want, when they want. They own the police. I'm not trying to scare anyone, because these drug lords aren't after tourists, but they don't care who is in the way when the bullets start flying. Do I think this area is dangerous? Nope, no worse than any other large American city if you avoid the problem areas.

For me it's not the cartels and murders that have me wanting to go somewhere else, it's all the regulations and rules that have now plagued the Akumal Bay area. Between the crowds, the gates, the fees, the roped off areas, tours, hassles, no fins, vests, etc. What used to be hassle free is now a complete cluster-(you-know what). Vacations are to get away from stress....and all the rules and regs and crowds no longer make that aera enjoyable (for me). Sad.

Tricky
    Cooler Carrying Member
    Re: Fourteen murdered in just 36 hours in Cancun 2018/05/03 07:26:38 (permalink)
    bassguy66
    The cartels have found an area to make lots of $$ selling drugs. Anyone who thinks this is going away isn't being very realistic. The cartels do what they want, when they want. They own the police. I'm not trying to scare anyone, because these drug lords aren't after tourists, but they don't care who is in the way when the bullets start flying. Do I think this area is dangerous? Nope, no worse than any other large American city if you avoid the problem areas.

For me it's not the cartels and murders that have me wanting to go somewhere else, it's all the regulations and rules that have now plagued the Akumal Bay area. Between the crowds, the gates, the fees, the roped off areas, tours, hassles, no fins, vests, etc. What used to be hassle free is now a complete cluster-(you-know what). Vacations are to get away from stress....and all the rules and regs and crowds no longer make that aera enjoyable (for me). Sad.

I agree and wish that tourists would stop buying drugs in Mexico.  That would solve the problem.  Mexicans don't do drug (in any amount that would move the black market), it is a foreign demand that these violent criminals subside on.  And I also agree that QR is safer than Chicago or Baltimore (where I work) if you avoid the problem areas.  Convincing my wife to see that logic has been a challenge, but understandably so.  23 homicides in sleepy PM last year?  The ferries getting bombed?  The growing drug violence in Cancun?  We like IM.  We think we'd like the downtown Cancun market, but we're not going to find out this trip.  If there were better transparency then we could be more comfortable making an assessment on the security situation.
    bassguy66
    Cooler Carrying Member
    Re: Fourteen murdered in just 36 hours in Cancun 2018/05/03 08:19:04 (permalink)
    Tricky
    bassguy66

I agree and wish that tourists would stop buying drugs in Mexico.  That would solve the problem.  Mexicans don't do drug (in any amount that would move the black market), it is a foreign demand that these violent criminals subside on.  And I also agree that QR is safer than Chicago or Baltimore (where I work) if you avoid the problem areas.  Convincing my wife to see that logic has been a challenge, but understandably so.  23 homicides in sleepy PM last year?  The ferries getting bombed?  The growing drug violence in Cancun?  We like IM.  We think we'd like the downtown Cancun market, but we're not going to find out this trip.  If there were better transparency then we could be more comfortable making an assessment on the security situation.

Amen to that, but good luck. The police and the Mexican govt are owned by the cartels. Not sure that is going to stop anytime soon.

crunch
    Ultimate Member
    • Total Posts : 28995
    • Reward points: 1582
    Re: Fourteen murdered in just 36 hours in Cancun 2018/05/03 12:16:09 (permalink)
    I agree Bassguy66. It still seems like a lot of people are going though (like me in 9 days), but I would be very curious to know what the tourism numbers are compared to a year ago.
    bassguy66
    Cooler Carrying Member
    Re: Fourteen murdered in just 36 hours in Cancun 2018/05/03 13:00:02 (permalink)
    Just like I was lucky enough to discover Akumal years ago when it was still uncrowded and RULE FREE, I will find other places that have the same charm as Akumal used to have. Using google maps alone shows plenty of areas that look to be prime snorkeling without all the hassles.
    I still believe these areas are safe. There are shootings and murders pretty much daily in the Boston area, but it doesn't keep me from visiting the city once and a while for a nice restaurant or a Bruins/Red Sox/Celtics game. I also don't wander into the neighborhoods where these shootings happen. Same in Mexico. From what I've read, those multi-murders were several miles away from the hotel strip. Bottom line....use common sense.

Kay
    Administrator
    • Total Posts : 2502
    • Reward points: 1555
    Re: Fourteen murdered in just 36 hours in Cancun 2018/05/04 11:04:14 (permalink)
    Numbers put things into perspective.  A great research tool. People, of course, ask us about crime because of things they read in the news. This tool puts everything in black and white. 
    Compare places by population. I spend time in Texas so I compared Conroe TX to Playa. I was surprised by the results. 
    Visit the website and see for yourself.

https://www.numbeo.com/crime/comparison.jsp

Stalk me on:
    FacebookPinterestInstagram
    bassguy66
    Cooler Carrying Member
    Re: Fourteen murdered in just 36 hours in Cancun 2018/05/04 13:43:49 (permalink)
    Kay
    Numbers put things into perspective.  A great research tool. People, of course, ask us about crime because of things they read in the news. This tool puts everything in black and white. 
    Compare places by population. I spend time in Texas so I compared Conroe TX to Playa. I was surprised by the results. 

Interesting chart. I used Boston against both Cancun and Playa del Carmen and was very surprised to see Boston as considerably safer than both. I would have bet the house it was the other way around. I looked at the stats for Conroe, TX out of curiosity.....yikes those are scary numbers Kay!!

Kay
    Administrator
    • Total Posts : 2502
    • Reward points: 1555
    Re: Fourteen murdered in just 36 hours in Cancun 2018/05/07 15:44:20 (permalink)
    bassguy66
    Kay

Interesting chart. I used Boston against both Cancun and Playa del Carmen and was very surprised to see Boston as considerably safer than both. I would have bet the house it was the other way around. I looked at the stats for Conroe, TX out of curiosity.....yikes those are scary numbers Kay!!

and you know when I am in Texas I don't feel in danger.   So you can be assured in the Riviera Maya, I feel very safe. 

Stalk me on:
    FacebookPinterestInstagram
    Jump to:
    © 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5