Beach access, again.

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
Nichole
  • Total Posts : 40
  • Reward points: 1812
Re: Beach access, again. 2018/04/09 14:01:16 (permalink)
+2 (2)
Gatos Padres
We are headed to Akumal in early May and wanted to ask very recent visitors about their experiences visiting the bay and access issues from 307.  I've also read that regular size fins are not allowed in the bay, can anyone verify this?  Also, has anyone figured out a good day of week and time of day to snorkel Yalku Lagoon to avoid the masses that are bused in from all over?  Is the lagoon still suffering from the algea and brown "muck" issues that stem from overuse/overcrowding and the effects of NON biodegradable sunscreen?  Thanks.

We were there last week and we did not bring fins.  We brought another couple and their son to see the turtles and it is nearly impossible without a guide.  Don't even try to leave the swimming area without a life jacket, you will get scolded.  Talk to the people at the dive shop about where you can and cannot go- it's basically everywhere that there are turtles.  We snorkeled in the "designated amateur area" and saw nothing on and off over a few hours.  It's a complete monopoly now. Don't get me wrong- I get it.  I've seen too many idiots swim down and harass the turtles and I'm of the mindset that the mobs and tours need to be tightly controlled but to give only the tour guides the upper hand doesn't feel right. 

~Sol in hand with my toes in the sand is where you'll find me~

Gatos Padres
Starting Member
  • Total Posts : 18
  • Reward points: 1621
Re: Beach access, again. 2018/04/09 16:59:41 (permalink)
Nichole
Gatos Padres
We are headed to Akumal in early May and wanted to ask very recent visitors about their experiences visiting the bay and access issues from 307.  I've also read that regular size fins are not allowed in the bay, can anyone verify this?  Also, has anyone figured out a good day of week and time of day to snorkel Yalku Lagoon to avoid the masses that are bused in from all over?  Is the lagoon still suffering from the algea and brown "muck" issues that stem from overuse/overcrowding and the effects of NON biodegradable sunscreen?  Thanks.

We were there last week and we did not bring fins.  We brought another couple and their son to see the turtles and it is nearly impossible without a guide.  Don't even try to leave the swimming area without a life jacket, you will get scolded.  Talk to the people at the dive shop about where you can and cannot go- it's basically everywhere that there are turtles.  We snorkeled in the "designated amateur area" and saw nothing on and off over a few hours.  It's a complete monopoly now. Don't get me wrong- I get it.  I've seen too many idiots swim down and harass the turtles and I'm of the mindset that the mobs and tours need to be tightly controlled but to give only the tour guides the upper hand doesn't feel right. 

Thanks for those details, Nichole.  It seems that while the government is cracking down in Akumal Bay, they are turning a blind eye to what's happening at Yalku Lagoon.  It's really a shame and Akumal will never be the same. 
el gran chico
Cooler Carrying Member
  • Total Posts : 740
  • Reward points: 1608
Re: Beach access, again. 2018/04/09 17:31:24 (permalink)
+1 (1)
Re:  " .. and it is nearly impossible without a guide. ... "

That is true in the area around the Lol-Ha snack bar.   Different story in the area past the rocky point in front of Secrets -  it is ok to do self serve snorkeling there as long as you stay out of the buoyed off areas (those are for the guided snorkel tours).

Re:  " ... Talk to the people at the dive shop about where you can and cannot go ..."

This is now well signed in both English and Spanish by the bay where you would enter for the guided tour circuits.   No need to rely on word of mouth (which often gave conflicting accounts) any longer.

At least this was the case when I was there 3 weeks ago.

Last in Mexico Mar 13 to 20, 2018 [18th trip to MEX, 14x to RM (1998 to 2018), 9x to HMB (2006 to 2016)]
Tricky
Cooler Carrying Member
  • Total Posts : 266
  • Reward points: 1792
Re: Beach access, again. 2018/04/09 17:39:02 (permalink)
Nichole
Gatos Padres

I agree but don't know what the alternative would be.  Maybe if you have an LG cooler then you're cool... locals might not be down with that but I know I would.

This is why we booked Puerto Morelos this year.
islasisterchick
  • Total Posts : 44
  • Reward points: 2403
Re: Beach access, again. 2018/04/14 13:48:41 (permalink)
OK, I’m confused. I haven’t been to Akumal since 2010. I will be there next month and am staying in one of the villas on the point between Akumal Bay and HMB (really on the outside edge of HMB). I am renting a car. Will I be able to drive my car to my villa and will I be able to go eat at Lol Ha etc?? I just booked and paid yesterday and nothing was said about any of this. I haven’t been on this forum in a few years either so guess i should have logged in before I booked.

el gran chico
Cooler Carrying Member
  • Total Posts : 740
  • Reward points: 1608
Re: Beach access, again. 2018/04/14 15:32:35 (permalink)
"Will I be able to drive my car to my villa"
Yes with about 99.9% (or even 99.99%) confidence.  The road blockages have been a) rare and b) short in duration but there's always a chance something could happen when you are there (just bad luck).

"able to go eat at Lol Ha etc??"
Yes, unless the rules have changed again, you can enter through the Hotel Akumal Caribe lobby.

Last in Mexico Mar 13 to 20, 2018 [18th trip to MEX, 14x to RM (1998 to 2018), 9x to HMB (2006 to 2016)]
Bret and Yvonne
LocoGringo Customer
  • Total Posts : 99
  • Reward points: 1516
Re: Beach access, again. 2018/04/15 14:57:19 (permalink)
+1 (1)
If there is a property manager on site it would be a good idea to have his phone number if it is blocked when you get there. Ours was able to get us past the blockade on the first one. Kay was great too!!!
post edited by Bret and Yvonne - 2018/04/15 14:58:36

Bret
Trip #18 - Half Moon Bay (10 days)

Trip #19

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
© 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5