Reasonable boat charter for fishing and snorkeling

Author
Nichole
  • Total Posts : 40
  • Reward points: 1812
2018/02/05 06:56:17 (permalink)

Reasonable boat charter for fishing and snorkeling

Hi there, 
Been forever since I posted but I'm forever thankful to see everyone still keeping everyone posted about the happenings down there.  We come down once a year for vacation and we are bringing some friends with this year.  We usually drive down to Punta Allen for a day and snorkel all over the Riviera Maya area as much as we can.  The family we are bringing would like to fish and I know we want to take them down to Punta Allen to snorkel.  Once upon a time you could pay a fisherman to take you out on a small boat to snorkel and see starfish and turtles etc. for like $100.  I know those days are long gone but the experience was something we treasured.  I'm hoping to combine that type of experience with someone that knows the Punta Allen area well that can take us down by boat from Akumal or Tulum and also do some fishing.  Nothing extravagant but the boat would need to be a decent size as there would be 6 of us.  I haven't googled anything yet as I would prefer to find something less commercialized and more of "we know a guy" that would be interested in making some money that day.   I'd like it to be simple but special.  May be better to try to find a guy from Punta Allen to come up and get us (we would prefer to maximize the day and avoid the drive down- although beautiful, we would just rather be on the water.)  Thanks in advance for any insight.

~Sol in hand with my toes in the sand is where you'll find me~

4 Replies Related Threads

jfg7771
    • Total Posts : 3
    • Reward points: 2760
    Re: Reasonable boat charter for fishing and snorkeling 2018/02/07 13:45:37 (permalink)
    Hello Nichole, Can't help you out on a boat, but we have driven to Punta Allen two times and were looking for places to snorkel. We didn't find any decent places to snorkel. If there is some good snorkeling places we would like to go again, especially since Akumal Bay has all their snorkeling restrictions. Where did you go down there?

Nichole
    • Total Posts : 40
    • Reward points: 1812
    Re: Reasonable boat charter for fishing and snorkeling 2018/03/09 13:21:04 (permalink)
    You have to get to the reef by boat down there.  When you drive into town there are signs for snorkeling and they used to just be a fisherman that had equipment and would charge a flat fee, it's bit pricier now.  We always had our own equipment and would just pay him to take us out.  It was totally worth it, we would be at the reef for a while and then he would take us to see starfish, turtles and dolphins ...he just knew the area like the back of his hand. 

~Sol in hand with my toes in the sand is where you'll find me~

Bob n Nancy
    LocoGringo Customer
    • Total Posts : 437
    • Reward points: 1715
    Re: Reasonable boat charter for fishing and snorkeling 2018/03/13 14:27:28 (permalink)
    We also snorkeled in Punta Allen by way of one of the local outfits. Snorkel at a reef, starfish, dolphins, etc. The reef was actually in really good condition. It was a few years ago. I have a feeling Punta Allen is now experiencing some level of "expansion" like the rest of the RM.

Rick S.
    LocoGringo Customer
    • Total Posts : 16
    • Reward points: 2048
    Re: Reasonable boat charter for fishing and snorkeling 2018/03/20 07:03:25 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    For a fishing trip go to Akumal Bay behind Lol Ha and ask for Wilbur. His boat is the Okey Dokey and will be parked there when not fishing. 3 of us went on a fishing-sightseeing-snorkel trip last Dec....6 hours cost us 200.  He's good....caught a Sailfish, and several Sierra-Barracuda.  I have been going out with him for over 20 yrs.  Best of luck!!!
    Jump to:
    © 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5