DIY Fly Fishing - Tulum/Punta Allen

Author
dnance
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points: 49
2017/12/15 10:01:06 (permalink)

DIY Fly Fishing - Tulum/Punta Allen

Im new here...I have been to Tulum on a previous trip and fished the biosphere and bridge with a guide.  My wife and I are going back to the area in January and we are considering staying in Punta Allen or somewhere south of Tulum.  Any advice for DIY fishing with fly outfit? I was hoping to possibly get a guide for one day and have some other options I could do on my own on other days.  
Are rates negotiable for more than one day?
Any spots worth pursuing via kayak?
Can I rent just a boat in Punta Allen to take me to some flats and let me fish on my own?
Any direction or advice would be appreciated. 
Thanks in advance,
Daniel

4 Replies Related Threads

Kay
    Administrator
    • Total Posts : 2503
    • Reward points: 1644
    Re: DIY Fly Fishing - Tulum/Punta Allen 2017/12/18 11:35:41 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    Daniel, hi.  You certainly can hire a fly guide from Punta Allen. I am not sure what the price would be.   I have not heard of places to do via kayak.  I understand that you can fly fish from the shore around Boca Pailla and some of the shorelines along the road in Sian Kaan

Stalk me on:
    FacebookPinterestInstagram
    Badger
    LocoGringo Customer
    • Total Posts : 8126
    • Reward points: 3072
    Re: DIY Fly Fishing - Tulum/Punta Allen 2017/12/19 06:04:35 (permalink)
    Hi Daniel, welcome to Locogringo.

It's been a few years, but I have visited Punta Allen several times. There are many fishing guides that you can find by doing a Google search, but if you are looking for the cheapest way to do it I would just find a place to stay in PA and then start asking around. Walk the beach and ask the fishermen hanging around their boats, ask at restaurants and also the people you are renting from. I've learned over the years that just about everything is negotiable down there and that if you are planning on going out more than once you'll probably get a better rate. 
    As far as fishing from a kayak, my memory is that the best fishing is quite a ways from PA and a motor boat is required.
    One other thing, I have done a bit of fishing with a spinning rod wading out from shore in the biosphere, and especially during the winter it can be difficult to cast against the almost constant wind, another good reason to hire a boat.
    Good luck!

Wag more....bark less.
    bill/pam
    Cooler Carrying Member
    • Total Posts : 93
    • Reward points: 1802
    Re: DIY Fly Fishing - Tulum/Punta Allen 2017/12/20 10:23:47 (permalink)
    Have traveled that road many times. It can be in very bad condition. However, always worth the drive. I am not a fisherman,but the road hugs the coastline for much of the way to Punta Allen with the lagoon on one side of the road and the sea on the other. You may want to consider a stay at Xamach Dos,which is about half way from the arch to PA. I'm sure they can diret you to good fishing spots.
    dnance
    • Total Posts : 3
    • Reward points: 49
    Re: DIY Fly Fishing - Tulum/Punta Allen 2018/01/22 14:29:53 (permalink)
    Punta Allen was incredible, as was Tulum!
    Jump to:
    © 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5