A warning for people going to Akumal bay

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
crunch
Ultimate Member
  • Total Posts : 28989
  • Reward points: 1556
Re: A warning for people going to Akumal bay 2017/12/14 06:47:55 (permalink)
Sometimes you can.  We did not see them in HMB in November, but others did.  HMB was really good snorkeling though even when we didn't see them.
wedge77
LocoGringo Customer
  • Total Posts : 194
  • Reward points: 1449
Re: A warning for people going to Akumal bay 2017/12/22 00:48:01 (permalink)
Sadly, we were hassled last Feb/March as well. It was most likely the end of our trips to Akumal Bay. We enjoyed snorkeling in HMB, but noticed many tour groups there now as well. This is a bummer. I am happy that someone is trying to protect Akumal bay and the tortugas, but the way it is being done, and the fact that local "business" people are still able to peddle their nonsense in that area is quite disheartening. We have loved going to Akumal for well over a decade. And we have brought lots of friends over the years. But what the area is turning into is a genuine bummer. We still stay in touch with friends of ours that live and work in the area, but I doubt that we will vacation there again. Very sad.

Gatos Padres
Starting Member
  • Total Posts : 18
  • Reward points: 1483
Re: A warning for people going to Akumal bay 2017/12/27 13:49:25 (permalink)
Anticipating our next to visit to Akumal in early May with much trepidation.  Haven't been in almost two years, but past few visits had us starting to rethink staying in the area.  Parking is hard to find.  Tour busses everywhere.  Beaches crowded with tour groups, snorkeling tours, and we were hearing about the snorkeling "Nazi's" and mandatory donations to the CEA.  Many of the hidden beaches off Route 307 are now roped off and require fees be paid in amounts from $5 p/p to $18.  Snorkeling gets awfully tiring without the use of fins and my husband and I aren't getting any younger!  I think our impending May trip will be the litmus test for whether or not we return to Akumal or look elsewhere.  We usually visit once and hoped to continue doing so until we physically weren't up to it any more (20+ more years), however, we would love to hear what other areas are being tried out by other disenchanted Akumal lovers. 
crunch
Ultimate Member
  • Total Posts : 28989
  • Reward points: 1556
Re: A warning for people going to Akumal bay 2017/12/27 17:34:24 (permalink)
We almost got arrested in November. We did use shirt find though and that was fine. After almost getting arrested we figured it out the work around and snorkel daily and had a great time. It's a mixed bag for sure, but I would still go back.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5