Author
crunch
Ultimate Member
  • Total Posts : 14447
  • Reward points: 1351
2017/11/16 17:16:37 (permalink)
5 (1)

A warning for people going to Akumal bay

It was still a great trip and I still love the area.
post edited by crunch - 2017/11/23 18:09:03

Nothing wrong with me that a margarita on the beach wouldn't fix.......................

23 Replies Related Threads

Gem
    Cooler Carrying Member
    • Total Posts : 1876
    • Reward points: 1422
    Re: A warning for people going to Akumal bay 2017/11/16 18:14:49 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    Crunch, this is just so sad...sad that the place we all have loved has come to this.  So sorry that your day ended like this.  How can they get away with this?  We were in Akumal in August and weren't really bothered by anyone~is it just hit and miss?

[url=https://www.TickerFactory.com/]

TeriA
    LocoGringo Customer
    • Total Posts : 1573
    • Reward points: 1316
    Re: A warning for people going to Akumal bay 2017/11/16 19:31:36 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    I'm so sorry this happened.  What a horrible memory to take with you, and knowing what we all know about Mexican jails, this could have ended so much worse.  I'm glad you were able to avoid that.  When is this going to get fixed?  Is it ever going to be the same?  It's so sad what's happened.  It's all about money, plain and simple.  As long as this little bay is a cash cow things are going to continue to deteriorate until the money dries up.  I know we were warned not to use fins north of any of the buoy lines, but, we were hassled once even though we were out in front of building 3 at ABBWR.  We were following what we were told by Alex and by the ABR lifeguard, but, this guy in a kayak, who appeared to be another ABR lifeguard, tapped us while we were snorkeling telling us we had to get out of the water.  We sort of listened, just cut the snorkel short, but, we were doing what we were told we could do.  Yes we had fins on, but, we were told that was okay south of the buoys.  This only happened once in 10 days of nearly daily snorkeling, but, it was enough to make us question if we will look for another place to go from now on.  We are very careful snorkelers, and respect the rules as we understand them.  We have no problem with the bay being protected even at our sacrificing snorkeling if that is what it takes.  What we have a problem with is the insanity.  No one really knows what the rules are, and there are no clear postings that explain it to the average tourist.  Even the locals and the resort employees give you different explanations.  Then there is the "requirement" to have a paid guide.  That's just bogus.  It's a scam.  If you have the guidelines clearly posted and easily understood, then the vast number of these incidents would never happen because the ones we seem to be hearing about are from people who really do know how to snorkel without disturbing the turtles or the coral, and would follow the rules.  I'm just not sure anymore if I ever want to go back.  I love ABBWR, I love the bay, but, it's starting to feel like you need to be on your guard and ready for a fight the whole time.  

bouldergal
    LocoGringo Customer
    • Total Posts : 30
    • Reward points: 1888
    Re: A warning for people going to Akumal bay 2017/11/17 10:25:31 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    What a bummer.  I was at ABBWR in May, September and November and each time the snorkeling restrictions were either not clear or not being enforced consistently.  September was the best as tours were suspended for the month and the bay was quiet and you could snorkel without much interference.  I was there the first week of November and the Profepa agents accompanied by 2 police officers did patrol the beach almost daily from Lol-Ha to ABBWR and would whistle in snorkelers who had strayed into the restricted sections and tell them where to snorkel and also advised snorkelers that only short fins were allowed.  Occasionally they took a photo of the offenders but never threatened them with jail.  I snorkeled every morning at 7:30 am with vest and short fins with no interference but did stay in the circuit snorkel lanes or in front of ABBWR.  I was told they have two restricted areas for tours only in front of Lol-Ha and Secrets so I wonder if you may have strayed into those areas unknowingly.  The level of confrontation and aggression between the guides and the public has made me increasingly uncomfortable.  Like many of you, I have visited Akumal Bay for years and am saddened by the greed and corruption.  When I departed ABBWR this November Lele asked when I'd return in May and, sadly, I told him I had booked Roatan for my May vacation (first time in 12 years I won't visit Akumal in May) - very bittersweet but I don't want to spend my vacation anxious about encounters with piratas and federales. Crunch I hope you post an account of your experience on TripAdvisor so that travelers considering a stay in Akumal will be aware of the current situation.   
    OmahaBruce
    Cooler Carrying Member
    • Total Posts : 462
    • Reward points: 1385
    Re: A warning for people going to Akumal bay 2017/11/17 12:06:00 (permalink)
    +1 (3)
    Sorry you had to deal with this.  You aren't alone.  Many stalwart Akumal supporters are dropping as the corruption strengthens its stranglehold.  This bay is beautiful - though it certainly is not now what it once was.  That said, there are many other places that are equally attractive and that do not come with the accompanying drama.  My dollars go elsewhere.

I'd much rather have sand in my shorts than snow in my shoes.
    Jamie
    LocoGringo Customer
    • Total Posts : 2930
    • Reward points: 1110
    Re: A warning for people going to Akumal bay 2017/11/17 14:55:12 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    That is such a shame, sorry this happened to you crunch and Tomas
    I sure do not blame you for looking elsewhere, I have only been there for lunch twice but hear Paamul has pretty good snorkeling although some areas are rocky. Only problem is limited lodging and dining.
    bassguy66
    Cooler Carrying Member
    • Total Posts : 299
    • Reward points: 781
    Re: A warning for people going to Akumal bay 2017/11/17 16:00:43 (permalink)
    +2 (2)
    I'm with others that have decided to spend my hard earned vacation $$ elsewhere. It will be a cold day in hell when I agree to go snorkeling without part of the safety equipment (fins). Only a matter of time before someone pays with their life when they get tired, they are a weak swimmer, and they have no fins to help them.

Lots of places to snorkel with ZERO hassles. After all, isn't vacation about getting (away) from hassles?

crunch
    Ultimate Member
    Re: A warning for people going to Akumal bay 2017/11/17 16:38:20 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    I have to say that only this single incident was awful.  The rest of the area and people are great.  Just the bay in front of Lol Ha is being ruined. Lol ha is where we will have dinner tonight and everyone in town is fine.  However, I do have mixed feelings about returning.  Half moon bay is still wonderful.  I am probably going to just think long and hard about the situation and hopefully not let one bad area or incident rule the day.  

Nothing wrong with me that a margarita on the beach wouldn't fix.......................
    Kay
    Administrator
    • Total Posts : 1950
    • Reward points: 1133
    Re: A warning for people going to Akumal bay 2017/11/18 12:33:24 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    I am speechless.  Crunch I am so sorry.  I am going to try to dig in for more info on this type of behavior. 

Stalk me on:
    FacebookPinterestInstagram
    crunch
    Ultimate Member
    Re: A warning for people going to Akumal bay 2017/11/18 16:34:18 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    Hi Kay - it was just one bad incident.  We are still loving it here.  I can delete this thread if you want.  After spending more time here we still love it and would recommend it.  Just the main bay thing is messed up.

Mellow52
    LocoGringo Customer
    • Total Posts : 323
    • Reward points: 1392
    Re: A warning for people going to Akumal bay 2017/11/18 17:40:37 (permalink)
    0 (2)
    Sorry to hear this.I read about it on FB. The last 2 stays i have just stayed and snorkeled in HMB just for this reason. My better half is coming for the first time and im afraid to take her to the bay just because of the craziness that the bay has become. I will be there in a couple of weeks and am wondering if this will be my last trip also. We will have to see what transpires in the coming year.
    water baby
    Cooler Carrying Member
    • Total Posts : 688
    • Reward points: 1544
    Re: A warning for people going to Akumal bay 2017/11/19 09:38:50 (permalink)
    +2 (2)
    I hate hearing that this happened as well. Pretty scary to say the least. At the same time, we snorkeled 9 days in a row in September and was never hassled once. And maybe that is because we go out early or maybe because we enter and exit the water down at ABBWR, I can't say. In any case, nobody should have to experience that!
    crunch
    Ultimate Member
    Re: A warning for people going to Akumal bay 2017/11/19 16:34:58 (permalink)
    +2 (2)
    You just can't go past the white bouy's at the 25 meter mark from shore unless you pay a guide.  This applies for tne area in front of Lol Ha.We will test the area in front of ABR on Tuesday and see how that goes.

SolMan
    LocoGringo Customer
    • Total Posts : 2014
    • Reward points: 1396
    Re: A warning for people going to Akumal bay 2017/11/20 01:25:00 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    Let us know how it goes on Tuesday, Crunch.  Having snorkeled with both you and Tomas, I can say I was impressed. Glided over the reef with ease. Flawless, smooth, unobtrusive.

You two are the last people who would need a "guide".  Cheers!
    post edited by SolMan - 2017/11/20 01:30:04

bmac
    Cooler Carrying Member
    • Total Posts : 213
    • Reward points: 1388
    Re: A warning for people going to Akumal bay 2017/11/20 11:36:23 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    Well this is so disappointing to hear.  We were hassled last February as well.  Not threatened to take to jail however.  The most frustrating thing is that everyone tells you something different.  Then you don't know who to believe.  We decided for our next trip in February to spend a week in Costa Maya and one in Akumal.  If we have the same experience in Akumal, I am sure it will be our last as well because we go to snorkel.  Maybe we will find a new place to fall in love with but hate leaving the friends we have made in Akumal.  I hate the thought we need to bring two sets of fins each, one for Akumal and one for Costa Maya.  I just feel I can maneuver away from things with good fins.  I am very aware of things around me and do not want to disturb anything.  I am just there to look.
    If anyone has any suggestions on somewhere else that has good snorkeling from the beach, I would love to hear it.
    We like to stay where we snorkel and have never rented a car.

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]
    elgoodbill
    • Total Posts : 1
    • Reward points: 14
    Re: A warning for people going to Akumal bay 2017/11/23 10:04:13 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    I regret to report that this doesn't seem to have been one isolated incident. We are frequent fliers here - many visits over about 25 years. There was an actual arrest here on Tuesday, and we were threatened with arrest yesterday. One of the vigilantes in the bay told us that we were not permitted to snorkel without a guide, and when we politely declined (we were inside the reef and outside any buoy-marked protected/restricted areas -- we've heard this one many times before), he told us that he was headed back to the beach to swear out a warrant for our arrest. That's the new wrinkle here. If there were one set of rules that everyone was clear on and consistent with, that'd be okay. But the arrest threats have the new wrinkle this year. Sad to us because we love it here.
    verano
    LocoGringo Customer
    • Total Posts : 50
    • Reward points: 1470
    Re: A warning for people going to Akumal bay 2017/11/23 17:10:05 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    Ok. forget my question on the other thread. it sounds like we will be sticking to HMB and some other areas along the coast for snorkeling. 

what i like about akumal bay is that it's flat water. i wonder if there would be a problem if i just put on a cap and goggles and went for a nice long swim without a snorkel?

Kay
    Administrator
    • Total Posts : 1950
    • Reward points: 1133
    Re: A warning for people going to Akumal bay 2017/11/24 15:52:28 (permalink)

Stalk me on:
    FacebookPinterestInstagram
    crunch
    Ultimate Member
    Re: A warning for people going to Akumal bay 2017/11/24 17:06:28 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    Verano, both are fine if you avoid the bay in front of lol ha, and if you go in at secrets and go down to abr

Badger
    LocoGringo Customer
    • Total Posts : 2495
    • Reward points: 2497
    Re: A warning for people going to Akumal bay 2017/11/26 05:35:19 (permalink)
    +2 (2)
    Thanks for your post Kay, email has been sent to the Secretary of Tourism.

Wag more....bark less.
    Tomas
    Cooler Carrying Member
    • Total Posts : 4187
    • Reward points: 1085
    Re: A warning for people going to Akumal bay 2017/11/27 09:03:47 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    Great post, Kay. Gracias! It was so awesome to visit with you last week!

"Turn up the heat,
    chill the rose,
    stretch out on the beach
    and let those metatarsals play"
    (Rev. J. Buffett)
    bmac
    Cooler Carrying Member
    • Total Posts : 213
    • Reward points: 1388
    Re: A warning for people going to Akumal bay 2017/12/03 09:31:53 (permalink)
    -1 (1)
    Response from the secretary of tourism:
    We, as a tourism office representing the State of Quintana Roo, are currently participating  on a special committee, among other authorities, to set rules and regulations for Akumal.   The challenge is big, the project will be launched next year, but the authority that is currently leading the training part for the snorkeling guides is SEMARNAT.

If you want to know everything about the official rules to snorkel with the turtles , please contact: ÁNGEL OMAR ORTIZ MORENOomortiz@conanp.gob.mx   tel (983) 8340265, [link=tel:(984)%20871-2479]9848712479[/link], 998 8871997   Ext. 18910

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]
    verano
    LocoGringo Customer
    • Total Posts : 50
    • Reward points: 1470
    Re: A warning for people going to Akumal bay 2017/12/06 16:39:29 (permalink)
    thanks. that is an easy fix.
    txgal
    Cooler Carrying Member
    • Total Posts : 399
    • Reward points: 1392
    Re: A warning for people going to Akumal bay 2017/12/11 16:18:57 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    We were harassed in Nov 2016 when I brought 2 newbies with us to enjoy a place we had been going to for 16 years. Sadly, we were made to rent a vest (which I hate - it's never tight enough and goes around my head) and not allowed to wear our fins - we refused to pay for a guide because I told them they couldn't show me anything I didn't already know about. After 20 minutes of crowds and kayak mafia guys all over us - we got out - left and vowed not to go back. Last summer we took a trip to St. Croix, St John and St. Thomas. St John being our favorite - several sharks and turtles as well as great fish. We will go back there this next year too in spite of the hurricane damage - the snorkeling there was amazing, but the island vibe was awesome too. I sure wish Akumal would get it back together the way it used to be..... really miss it.

Suzanne

Jump to:
    © 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5