AnsweredHot!Eighth trip to ABBWR Sept 5th thru Sept 14th

Author
TeriA
LocoGringo Customer
  • Total Posts : 1553
  • Reward points: 1316
2017/08/28 22:43:26 (permalink)

Eighth trip to ABBWR Sept 5th thru Sept 14th

Getting my trip report ready for our trip next week.  I'll be posting daily, hopefully, and updating pictures as I am able. 

Right now, I am in the packing process.  I am a chronic overpacker, but, for me, it's all about having it and not needing it as opposed to needing it and not having it.  We have used many of the extras we brought over the years, especially the medical kit, fully stocked with things including Benadry, bandaids, sunburn gel and aloe vera.  The one med I don't bring is vanilla.  Yes, vanilla as a medicine.  It is amazing for burns, but, I know I'm going to buy it there anyway so I don't bother packing it.  I also bring some essential oils, like lavender to mix with the aloe vera gel also for burns. 

I found that on Frontier, if you elect to purchase their advance upgrade it ends up being cheaper than if you buy your luggage separately on the day of.  So, for less than the price of just our checked bags and our seats (because you have to buy your seats as well), using the upgrade bundle we get our upgraded seats, our checked bags, and our carryon bags (they charge for carryons, too).  It just made so much more sense when I broke it down. 

Our transport from the airport with USA Transfers is all booked and paid for in advance so we don't have to worry about that.  We also pre purchased Pesos so we get the best exchange rate.  I printed up thank you notes (In Spanish) for the housekeeping staff to paperclip to the tips we leave them.  I always worry they won't be sure it's meant for them, so, this will remove any doubt.

We've let Lele know we're arriving on the 5th, so, he knows what day to hide out.  jk

So, Ready or not, here we come precious little Akumal.

to be continued.................................

crunch
Ultimate Member
  • Total Posts : 14411
  • Reward points: 1143
Re: Eighth trip to ABBWR Sept 5th thru Sept 14th 2017/08/29 06:58:57 (permalink)
+1 (1)
I will really be looking forward to your reports.  Try to snorkel from Lol Ha so we can get the real idea of how things are now.

I admire your organized approach.  Reminds me of Tomas who also does the things like pre-printed maid notes to go with the tips.  He has an excel spreadsheet........................

Nothing wrong with me that a margarita on the beach wouldn't fix.......................
9KrazyCats
LocoGringo Customer
  • Total Posts : 856
  • Reward points: 537
Re: Eighth trip to ABBWR Sept 5th thru Sept 14th 2017/08/29 21:47:38 (permalink)
+1 (1)
YAY....a new report!  Can't wait to read it.  Have a great time!
water baby
Cooler Carrying Member
  • Total Posts : 683
  • Reward points: 1476
Re: Eighth trip to ABBWR Sept 5th thru Sept 14th 2017/08/30 08:56:18 (permalink) ☼ Best Answerby TeriA 2017/08/30 23:36:58
+2 (2)
Teri, we will be there from the 10th to the 20th. If it works out, I'd like to meet you, as I've followed your posts here on LG. We usually find our place on the quiet side of ABBWR, just me and mi esposo - Have a Great trip!
TeriA
LocoGringo Customer
Re: Eighth trip to ABBWR Sept 5th thru Sept 14th 2017/08/30 23:39:15 (permalink)
+2 (2)
water baby
Teri, we will be there from the 10th to the 20th. If it works out, I'd like to meet you, as I've followed your posts here on LG. We usually find our place on the quiet side of ABBWR, just me and mi esposo - Have a Great trip!

I think that would be great.  We are thinking we'll be in building 3, so, will likely be camping out in front of 3 and 4 as much as possible.  Trying to avoid the noise and crowds in front of 1 and 2. We also usually put a blanket underneath the palapa so we should be fairly easy to identify.  It will also be just Tim and I this trip.  

barleypopgirl
Cooler Carrying Member
  • Total Posts : 240
  • Reward points: 1344
Re: Eighth trip to ABBWR Sept 5th thru Sept 14th 2017/09/01 11:09:41 (permalink)
+1 (1)
Yes!  It will be great to have a new report to watch and read!   I miss the old days of many reports, some hilarious!

headin' south again soon!
TeriA
LocoGringo Customer
Re: Eighth trip to ABBWR Sept 5th thru Sept 14th 2017/09/06 09:35:22 (permalink)
+3 (3)
Well. We made it.  Lele upgraded our room to a penthouse suite in building 3.  It's fantastic.  The view, the sound of the ocean, very quiet during the day and evenings compared to building 2.  We are loving it.  The seaweed is here, but, not bad at all.  I can remember in 2015 you could barely be on the beach in front of buildings 3 and 4 because that was where the mountain of seaweed was piled while they worked to move it off the beach, and the smell of rotting fish filled the air.  This year, with all the storms, it's surprisingly clear. 

We had a rough trip trying to use Frontier airlines but we expected as much.  The staff are always so hard working, but, the way the company does things is a head scratcher.  More on that later today.  I am currently sitting under a palapa on the beach so, I will update more later when I come in for lunch. Til then, the sun is shining, the water is warm, and the breeze is moving.  Time for my morning nap.

Badger
LocoGringo Customer
  • Total Posts : 2469
  • Reward points: 2339
Re: Eighth trip to ABBWR Sept 5th thru Sept 14th 2017/09/07 04:49:22 (permalink)
Nice score on the upgrade Teri!
Really looking forward to your ongoing report, thanks!

Wag more....bark less.
water baby
Cooler Carrying Member
  • Total Posts : 683
  • Reward points: 1476
Re: Eighth trip to ABBWR Sept 5th thru Sept 14th 2017/09/07 08:37:39 (permalink)
YEA! You made it safe and sound and I'll be jealous for only 3 days-
I never thought I'd like the penthouse, but we were upgraded in Feb. and I loved it! We used the upper deck to watch the stars and the "goings on" in early evening. Plus, the room is larger (not that we're really needing the extra space), but it was nice.
I am looking forward to more of a trip report from you-

TeriA
LocoGringo Customer
Re: Eighth trip to ABBWR Sept 5th thru Sept 14th 2017/09/09 14:56:12 (permalink)
+2 (2)
Well, I fail miserably on the daily update, but, I am succeeding at not stressing about it.

Anywho,we are lovin it here.  So many friends.  Finally got to meet Marianne and Alejandro's precious baby girl.  She's gorgeous, and very happy.  Just like her mama and papa.  Hoping to spend a little more time with them.  Chocolate Alex and Karla both are rocking braces just like me, so, we're a trio.  No dancing for Alex right now, he had surgery on his feet, but, otherwise he's doing great.  My two favorite waiters, Lemuel and Jesus are both still here, but, I haven't seen Wilberth from the buffet yet.  He might be at an ala carte, will have to check on that. 

The weather has been, well, fun.  Most days the sun is shining all day, very hot, sometimes a bit too still, but, now we are in a more normal pattern for this time of year, with the down pours rolling in by afternoon.  The water has been very calm, some days with very little for waves at all, so the snorkeling is amazing.  On that note, the commercial snorkel tours were suspended for the month of September.  The bay feels a bit more like it's old self.  On the other hand, there are roped off areas marked with bouys where no swimming (or snorkeling) is allowed.  They are trying to get the sea grass to really come back strong and to give the sea life a break.  Fins are not allowed at all in the north end of the bay, they might let short fins in, but, possibly not.  Longer fins are permitted south of the buoyed areas, but, it's not widely promoted. In fact, in the room there is information about swimming and snorkeling, and it says no fins allowed anywhere in the bay, but, we got the clarification from Choco Alex and the ABR lifeguard.  Most guests don't ask, and are disappointed they can't use their fins to go further out into the bay.  We snorkeled yesterday more than half way out and then out to the reef, and only saw one or two other people the entire time we were out.

The beach is the same, except for the multitude of turtle nests.  It's amazing seeing so many, and the resort is being very accommodating by keeping beach chairs and loungers picked up at night and moving the palapas to keep them off the nests.  That said, beach volleyball is no more.  Tim was pretty bummed.  It's apparently not due to the turtle nests, even though the nests are in the old vball area.  From what we have been told, people (guests) complained that it made the resort feel much less than a 5 star location.  I am hoping if enough people ask it may come back.  We were thinking of bringing our older kids next year, and they have specifically said how they look forward to playing vball with people from around the world. 

The turnstyles are still at the CEA entrance to the beach, and it just feels so trashy where it was once a quaint little shop area.  You can access the beach using the "public" access alongside Lol Ha, and it is posted as a public beach entrance.

We're in building 3 penthouse level, which I highly recommend.  Its close enough to everything to not feel like a hike to get anywhere, but, far enough from the main pool to be quiet during the day, and if we don't want to listen to the nightly entertainment we can get away.  The resort added many more palapas, I haven't seen any palapa wars so, I think they have enough to go around.  There are also many more chairs around the main pool. 

The make up of guests is mostly Germans and Brits, quite a few Canucks, and a small number of Yanks. Very few other nationalities.  We have met some French people and some from Luxembourg.  Apparently the Italians basically only come in the summertime, especially in August.  We just missed them.  The Germans don't really do much.  Just sit around and chit chat.  The Brits and Canadians are a ton of fun.  I wonder if people who haven't been here before are thinking the resort is boring.  I could be completely wrong as we don't spend much time around the main pool, so, maybe they do more when we aren't around. 

We've basically stayed close to the resort so far, but, tomorrow we're hitting Yal Ku lagoon and then on Monday (our anniversary) we're going to the Xel Ha ruins.  That is, after we have our picture taken by the very good photographer salesman that works for the resort. 

Being September, the mosquitoes are out in force, so, Im glad I brought my Sawyers spray.  It's the only stuff I find that really, really works. 

We've eaten in two ala cartes so far, the Asian Fusion and the "steakhouse".  The food is always so good, but, Id like to see more variety, especially at a restaurant that claims to be a steakhouse.  Tim tried to order just a plan ole steak at the steakhouse, but they only had either the passed skewers or a lamb burger.  No entrée steaks  And the salad bar (while missing the bat from last time, there's a story that goes with that) was not very big.  The Asian fusion was so far our favorite. 

Right now we are watching the rain pass as our lunch settles, and then, on to the gym. 
post edited by TeriA - 2017/09/09 15:08:25

9KrazyCats
LocoGringo Customer
  • Total Posts : 856
  • Reward points: 537
Re: Eighth trip to ABBWR Sept 5th thru Sept 14th 2017/09/09 22:53:58 (permalink)
Loving your report.  Glad you are enjoying your stay. 
Badger
LocoGringo Customer
  • Total Posts : 2469
  • Reward points: 2339
Re: Eighth trip to ABBWR Sept 5th thru Sept 14th 2017/09/10 05:16:49 (permalink)
Thanks for the update, really enjoy "live" reports, please post more when you can.

Wag more....bark less.
tooter
LocoGringo Customer
  • Total Posts : 217
  • Reward points: 1191
Re: Eighth trip to ABBWR Sept 5th thru Sept 14th 2017/09/10 10:30:00 (permalink)
Such a pleasure to read with my morning coffee...thank you!
Mayan Boar
LocoGringo Customer
  • Total Posts : 506
  • Reward points: 2137
Re: Eighth trip to ABBWR Sept 5th thru Sept 14th 2017/09/10 18:38:18 (permalink)
TeriA, thanks for taking time to update.  I just left yesterday.  Enjoy your stay.

WaterBaby, enjoy your time as well.  MB

Vancouver Sundog
LocoGringo Customer
  • Total Posts : 7469
  • Reward points: 1744
Re: Eighth trip to ABBWR Sept 5th thru Sept 14th 2017/09/10 19:39:00 (permalink)
Thanks TeriA - sounds like a wonderful trip

I heard the coastline experienced some strange drawing back and then wave (surges) similar to the islands near Hurricane Irma

How was it?

AASB in a few days

crunch
Ultimate Member
  • Total Posts : 14411
  • Reward points: 1143
Re: Eighth trip to ABBWR Sept 5th thru Sept 14th 2017/09/12 12:28:06 (permalink)
So fun to read this!

Nothing wrong with me that a margarita on the beach wouldn't fix.......................
Gem
Cooler Carrying Member
  • Total Posts : 1867
  • Reward points: 1324
Re: Eighth trip to ABBWR Sept 5th thru Sept 14th 2017/09/12 18:35:32 (permalink)
+1 (1)
Wow Teri A, you definitely hit a better time than Tat and I.  This was our 14th time.  We were at ABBWR from August 21 - Sept 1 and the weather was not nice to us!  We only had maybe 3 days of full sunshine, as the skies were overcast, from what they told us, were the remnants of Harvey.  Also mucho rain and wind. And I've NEVER seen so many kids ever before, but we've always come from Jan - May.  We were told that August is European Vacation time.  I still love this place, as there are many of our favorites still there...Wilbert, Felipe, Tihmy, Carlos, Clemente, Wilberth, Tiger, Alex and Marianne, Karla, (Chocolate was on vaca) and of course Lele!
We asked for building 1 (first time ever, we always have been in 3)and got it...NEVER again would I ask for this building.  I have nothing against children, but this end of the beach is definitely where the families stay.
My biggest suggestion would be for the "serenity pools" (small infinity pools in front of each building) to be made "adult only"  these pools are taken over by kids all day long, even leaving their blow up toys the entire time they are staying...like it's their own personal kids pool.  The main pool is plenty big for families.  There definitely was no tranquility at all around these areas.  Not a big deal, as Tat and I have yet to ever get in a pool in Mexico.
Tat was able to get a great alacarte steak at the steak house, must depend on the day.  Also the Mexican restaurant was the best ever!  I had the sea bass and he had an amazing filet!  Try it next time.
We will continue to go back, as with Apple, we still get the best bang for our buck at ABR. 

Mayan Boar
LocoGringo Customer
  • Total Posts : 506
  • Reward points: 2137
Re: Eighth trip to ABBWR Sept 5th thru Sept 14th 2017/09/12 19:24:33 (permalink)
Hi Gem. thanks for your update.  I had heavy rain for first two days (arrived on 9/2) and things leveled out and it got kinda scary with the earthquake by Oaxaca with the strange earthquake lightening and the ocean calming down considerably.  

God bless those folks in Chiapas and states south that are suffering.  MB

Jump to:
© 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5