the forum... the way it used to be

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
TC
Cooler Carrying Member
  • Total Posts : 73
  • Reward points: 1068
Re: the forum... the way it used to be 2016/11/16 10:58:21 (permalink)
Not that I posted a lot but for myself it is mostly that we have not been able to travel down Riviera Maya lately. Other places to go and not enough time/money. But I love this place, it has been such a great resource and I let people know about it whenever somebody tells me they are planning a trip.
I used to check out the forums everyday but once the URL was removed from the beach cam page and it takes an extra step I just am less likely to go the forums now (yeah, I guess I can be that lazy sometimes ) since not a lot was happening on the forums and am researching less lately.

"Some mornings it just doesn't seem worth it to gnaw through the leather straps."
shape shifter 47
Administrator
  • Total Posts : 10341
  • Reward points: 1852
Re: the forum... the way it used to be 2016/11/16 21:55:08 (permalink)
Hey Frank, congrats....yes time goes by faster than the sands of Akumal beach in your hands....25 and expecting too cool......

We have 7 grandchildren and they are a blessing and a handful....keep us posted.

gary "coolerman" & martha
Banking off of a northeast wind, sailing on a summer breeze
CallMeFrank
LocoGringo Customer
  • Total Posts : 6066
  • Reward points: 1694
Re: the forum... the way it used to be 2016/11/16 23:25:26 (permalink)
shape shifter 47
Hey Frank, congrats....yes time goes by faster than the sands of Akumal beach in your hands....25 and expecting too cool......

We have 7 grandchildren and they are a blessing and a handful....keep us posted.

My mom is busting at the seems.  Besides Kevin and Kaitlyn, my sister's son Russell and his wife are expecting in late January.  These 2 kids will be her first great-grandkids.  She just turned 91.  I just pray they are all healthy.

Do all your kids live in the area?  Myself and all my siblings do.  Matter of fact, we all live in St. Charles County!  This really works out well so we each can keep an eye on my mom.  Her memory is fading and she often needs reminders.  Plus we are not letting her drive anymore.  Believe it or not, she has a 99 year old friend that is still driving plus a couple of years ago, this same lady had a brand new house built.  Made all the decisions by herself.  Picked out all the things she wanted, appliances, wall colors, faucets, etc.  I commend the lady.  There are a ton of decisions that have to be made when building. Wasn't a small house either.  2,200 sq.ft. ranch.

P.S.---Mike says Hi and tell your lovely wife Martha Hi from Craig and I.
post edited by CallMeFrank - 2016/11/16 23:30:50
shape shifter 47
Administrator
Re: the forum... the way it used to be 2016/11/18 19:49:01 (permalink)
They are all in the area.....and they can be a blast...you and Craig will enjoy being grandparent's.

Tell Mike we said hello.....one of these days we will get together......I know we keep talking about it.....Your Mom sounds like a real trip......we should be so lucky if we live that long....and on our own...

CallMeFrank
LocoGringo Customer
Re: the forum... the way it used to be 2016/11/19 12:27:59 (permalink)
+1 (1)
Shifty--Remember these?  Could have shot you when the upteen boxes arrived.  Twenty dollar donation got you one.  That was the time when everyone wanted each others autograph.  Told Craig to post that an additional $5 would get your beach bag autographed by her.  Couldn't believe the amount of people that requested that!  Do you remember how much was collected for the people affected by Hurricane Dean?  I know Craig worked her butt off getting them all out.  Besides checking the computer, she than wrote them out and took them to the post office.  Went on daily for weeks.  The Canadian ones were the worse due to postage.  But it was for a great cause which made it worthwhile.  Still have a bunch around the house.

post edited by CallMeFrank - 2016/11/19 13:18:04
nipper
Ultimate Member
  • Total Posts : 13725
  • Reward points: 1859
Re: the forum... the way it used to be 2016/11/19 12:30:48 (permalink)
I still have mine, Frank.

AASB 2018 created good memories. Getting ready for 2019!!
Jamie
LocoGringo Customer
  • Total Posts : 3796
  • Reward points: 1711
Re: the forum... the way it used to be 2016/11/19 15:16:25 (permalink)
+1 (1)
Me too, take my Hurricane Dean beach bag with me every trip, makes a great tote.
Never used it for signatures though, have my LG cooler for that.
shape shifter 47
Administrator
Re: the forum... the way it used to be 2016/11/19 21:12:10 (permalink)
Oh yest I remember those bag....two of the bags were auctioned off with painted turtles I did...not sure who has them.....

shape shifter 47
Administrator
Re: the forum... the way it used to be 2016/11/19 21:12:56 (permalink)
+1 (1)
Just and FYI...I have the last white LG cooler....still in the box and plastic bag.....

pamela_tejas
Cooler Carrying Member
  • Total Posts : 269
  • Reward points: 1886
Re: the forum... the way it used to be 2016/11/20 12:26:39 (permalink)
+1 (1)
CallMeFrank
Shifty--Remember these?  Could have shot you when the upteen boxes arrived.  Twenty dollar donation got you one.  That was the time when everyone wanted each others autograph.  Told Craig to post that an additional $5 would get your beach bag autographed by her.  Couldn't believe the amount of people that requested that!  Do you remember how much was collected for the people affected by Hurricane Dean?  I know Craig worked her butt off getting them all out.  Besides checking the computer, she than wrote them out and took them to the post office.  Went on daily for weeks.  The Canadian ones were the worse due to postage.  But it was for a great cause which made it worthwhile.  Still have a bunch around the house.

I still have mine and use it every time I go to the grocery store.

CallMeFrank
LocoGringo Customer
Re: the forum... the way it used to be 2016/11/20 12:39:26 (permalink)
pamela_tejas
CallMeFrank

I still have mine and use it every time I go to the grocery store.

They are handy for that!
nipper
Ultimate Member
  • Total Posts : 13725
  • Reward points: 1859
Re: the forum... the way it used to be 2016/11/20 12:54:53 (permalink)
shape shifter 47
Oh yest I remember those bag....two of the bags were auctioned off with painted turtles I did...not sure who has them.....

I have a blue one with a turtle.

AASB 2018 created good memories. Getting ready for 2019!!
Kay
Administrator
  • Total Posts : 2528
  • Reward points: 1830
Re: the forum... the way it used to be 2016/11/21 10:35:09 (permalink)
I have about 4 of the orange hurricane bags. I carry tools and stuff in them.

Stalk me on:
FacebookPinterestInstagram
shape shifter 47
Administrator
Re: the forum... the way it used to be 2016/11/21 21:48:14 (permalink)
I have the last white LG cooler still in plastic....never been opened......

Gem
Cooler Carrying Member
  • Total Posts : 2447
  • Reward points: 1967
Re: the forum... the way it used to be 2016/11/21 22:32:55 (permalink)
+1 (1)
Kay, that's awesome to know!  I also use mine as a "tool bag"  Makes me smile every time I get something out!

nancyjo
LocoGringo Customer
  • Total Posts : 3449
  • Reward points: 973
Re: the forum... the way it used to be 2016/11/26 07:21:25 (permalink)
+1 (1)
Kay, I have spent many hours with you, Gary and all the Loco's and that will always be precious time to me .. still check in sometimes but rarely post. I do follow lots of locos on face book now ... not the same vibe as here ... still feel it a little bit ... hardest part of fb was learning everybody's real name!! LOL Thanks for everything over the years our trips through LG were the best .... don't know if we will ever make it there again but if we can it will be with you! We have all grown and changed ..
 change can be hard but change is good!!

You only live life once but if you do it right, once is enough
NANCYJO
Whale
Administrator
  • Total Posts : 6100
  • Reward points: 1936
Re: the forum... the way it used to be 2016/11/29 03:08:25 (permalink)
+1 (1)
shape shifter 47
....one of these days we will get together......I know we keep talking about it.....

Don't leave me out of this loop if you actually plan something instead of just talking

I've been doing a lot of traveling and haven't had time to post much recently but I still try to keep an eye on the forums in case things get out of hand. Not too much maintenance to do anymore since the software does a pretty decent job with the spam.

Just got back from three weeks in Indiana waiting to finally become a grandpaw. Man do I feel old now.

Absfam, if you want I can hook you back up with your old absfam name however I can't combine anything you posted under your new name with the old posts. Just let me know.

"Don't listen to what they say. Go see." ~ Chinese proverb
"When you see, you will know" ~ Old Thurman proverb

Jamie
LocoGringo Customer
  • Total Posts : 3796
  • Reward points: 1711
Re: the forum... the way it used to be 2016/11/29 14:33:57 (permalink)
Congratulations Whale, boy or girl?
SolMan
LocoGringo Customer
  • Total Posts : 2038
  • Reward points: 1824
Re: the forum... the way it used to be 2016/11/29 18:36:07 (permalink)
+1 (1)

At some point we will have to look at moving to new software again, or moving to Facebook.   
I appreciate your input, it helps us alot. 

Kay, have you ever considered using the WordPress platform? It's what I've moved to for my web design, and extremely user friendly for designing very clean, beautiful sites with bug-free behavior, and very easy to incorporate forum venues, with connectivity to all of the social media sites.

I know the idea of re-building from the ground up is easier said than done. Just food for thought.

That said, great thread. Glad to see that you're open to re-imagining this great site you've created. 

My two cents:

1) Social media has overwhelmed us all.  Someone above alluded to this, that these forums were cutting edge back in the day. One literally could not find information on the RM hardly anywhere on the net in the mid to late 90s.  I remember like it was yesterday stumbling onto LG and freaking out that suddenly we had up-to-date information on this place we loved, rather than having to rely on the latest travel handbook, which is how I discovered Akumal in '92 and first began planning to travel there.

I don't know whether or not you knew at the time what it would be today, but know your work has resulted in quite the resource for the region, especially for those just getting their feet wet (pun intended).

Equally as important are the friendships that have been built here over the years. I've met many down there that I first met here, before the days of "friending" and "liking" on Facebook.  This forum used to be a means of communication between us all, whereas now we simply direct message one another on FB to catch up.

And now there is a wealth of info out there on the area at just a few clicks of the keyboard. Many on this board began with baby steps, asking questions. Over time, these members assimilated into a group of friends.

If you'd have told me 23 years ago I'd be partying with a dude from Colorado who calls himself OneRunJaun, I'd have looked at you funny. BTW, Juan turns the party up to 11, lol.  

2) My advice: Redesign the site with travel booking as the core purpose. Maybe give it a blog feature where you can share updates, thoughts, podcasts, etc.  Take to Facebook for the discussions that used to be had on the forum.  Social media has very much moved to more of a "stream of consciousness" construct. Link everything from your LG domain to Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram accounts, where people can see what you have to say, join in the discussion, or start totally new discussions.

Just my little opine. Cheers, Kay, and whatever you decide to do, thanks for bringing us all together!

Andy 

Whale
Administrator
  • Total Posts : 6100
  • Reward points: 1936
Re: the forum... the way it used to be 2016/11/29 20:19:22 (permalink)
+1 (1)
Jamie
Congratulations Whale, boy or girl?

A boy, he will be two weeks old tomorrow. Now, if I can just get him to join the forum!!

"Don't listen to what they say. Go see." ~ Chinese proverb
"When you see, you will know" ~ Old Thurman proverb

grcarver1
LocoGringo Customer
  • Total Posts : 48
  • Reward points: 910
Re: the forum... the way it used to be 2016/11/29 20:44:17 (permalink)
Congrats Whale!!! Just start planning your first RM vacation with him. Took our youngest when he was four. At 13 he still remembers a few highlights.

“When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence.” 
― Ansel Adams
Tomas
Ultimate Member
  • Total Posts : 8680
  • Reward points: 1991
Re: the forum... the way it used to be 2016/11/30 07:44:24 (permalink)
+2 (2)
Nice post, Andy. For once I agree with you, because it's not politics .

I could never have imagined meeting so many awesome people and it's all because of LocoGringo.

Our first LG get together was in 2006 at ABR. It was life-changing. Well, you know, we met da Kat!

"Turn up the heat,
chill the rose,
stretch out on the beach
and let those metatarsals play"
(Rev. J. Buffett)
durangotom
LocoGringo Customer
  • Total Posts : 308
  • Reward points: 1452
Re: the forum... the way it used to be 2016/11/30 16:49:57 (permalink)
+1 (1)
I agree with Andy, well put and good suggestions.

SolMan
LocoGringo Customer
  • Total Posts : 2038
  • Reward points: 1824
Re: the forum... the way it used to be 2016/11/30 20:28:10 (permalink)
+2 (2)
Tomas
Nice post, Andy. For once I agree with you, because it's not politics .

I could never have imagined meeting so many awesome people and it's all because of LocoGringo.

Our first LG get together was in 2006 at ABR. It was life-changing. Well, you know, we met da Kat!

Thanks Tomas! Lol, yeah, Kat has very fond memories of meeting you and Crunch that year, one of which you'll get a kick out of when I tell you over beers on the beach. As for American politics, bleh. Hopefully within a year's time, they won't be an issue for me. Cheers!

Kay
Administrator
  • Total Posts : 2528
  • Reward points: 1830
Re: the forum... the way it used to be 2016/12/12 08:33:23 (permalink)
Sol Man Thanks so much.  
I love the feedback. 

Locogringo.com is wordpress, it has a blog feature we post 4-5 times a week and it is reservation based.   A few years ago we did launch the forum in word press and everyone freaked out.  It was disheartening because so many great social media features and functionality was built into what was to be the new forums. 

Other fun facts about LG
We have books for sale on Amazon and google Play.
We have our new podcast that has been very well received

I think sometimes people on the forum just think we are just a forum.... no we are a whole lot more. ;-)

Stalk me on:
FacebookPinterestInstagram
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5