Kay
Administrator
  • Total Posts : 2528
  • Reward points: 2074
2016/11/07 12:24:53 (permalink)
5 (1)

the forum... the way it used to be

Hi Everyone. 
Well I have been reading lots of posts over the months, and there are comments saying the forum is not how it used to be?  Where are people? Etc. We have had a discussion like this before and of course there are things like Facebook that have changed the way we socialize.  

As a community only we (meaning everyone including you), have potential of changing it to be a community that you want it to be.
What do you want it to be?  
What do you miss about the community from the days of old that you would love to see happen today?  
Do we just start a LG group on facebook, and would you participate there would that be better?

Lets brainstorm it together...  

Stalk me on:
FacebookPinterestInstagram
Susy
LocoGringo Customer
  • Total Posts : 3241
  • Reward points: 2055
Re: the forum... the way it used to be 2016/11/07 20:48:06 (permalink)
+2 (2)
Oh Kay, I love the way that you guys are always trying to improve Loco Gringo!  For me, there will never be anything that tops it!!!

My problem is, I always mean to post but I am so long winded that I put it off till I have time to write a long post and then I never get around to it!  I do find that I frequently post about Akumal on Facebook but it's always just a short comment or two. 

It seems that there are people on here that do not post on Facebook so I don't know that LG on Facebook would appeal to them.

Whatever you decide, I will always follow you ~ been here long before LG was LG!!!

grcarver1
LocoGringo Customer
  • Total Posts : 48
  • Reward points: 910
Re: the forum... the way it used to be 2016/11/07 21:03:42 (permalink)
+2 (2)
I have been using LG for ten years. I used to be very active on the forums and it was invaluable to trip planning the first few times. I don't think I would necessarily use a FB group over this. The group is very different now than when I started. However, as a veteran visitor(I had a different screen name then)
I don't have near as many questions as I did ten years ago. I would love to see it grow active again. Not sure how to help, but willing to try.

“When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence.” 
― Ansel Adams
Wanderlust4Mexico
LocoGringo Customer
  • Total Posts : 714
  • Reward points: 1345
Re: the forum... the way it used to be 2016/11/09 07:01:46 (permalink)
+2 (2)
I've been on for about 10 years....and I do miss the old days.

"Not all who wander are lost" - J. R. R. Tolkien
grcarver1
LocoGringo Customer
Re: the forum... the way it used to be 2016/11/09 08:27:03 (permalink)
I have thought on his question a lot after responding the first time. I think I miss sharing the excitement of an upcoming trip with people that understand that excitement. I live in the middle of no where WY, and most of my friends either don't know the RM or don't know it outside of the AI scene. LG was a place to share with likeminded travelers, who love a little bit deeper, more authentic vacation experience.

“When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence.” 
― Ansel Adams
shape shifter 47
Administrator
  • Total Posts : 10341
  • Reward points: 1852
Re: the forum... the way it used to be 2016/11/10 20:27:33 (permalink)
+6 (6)
At one time....a long time ago many of us on this site would plan trips and parties where we would meet each other while down south, get to know other folks from the site, plan parties or just hang out.  This got to be an on going thing for many of us.  As time past and some of us ole salts drifted about the site became less fun......we have seen friends come and go and in many ways it is sad, times change and interests change....

We knew many folks, we laughed, we cried when friends were no longer with us and when together we partied like there was no tomorrow....I cannot count the number of folks I personally met and got to know while helping on LG....but I do remember when we had the largest LG party fundraiser....I believe there was around 125 of us crazies in Akumal at one time.....remember that Kay....

This site is what you make it....get to know each other....tells about your trips...good or bad.
Let others know who you are or when you will be down south and hookup with other from LG.
You will be surprised  how long term friendships can develop....

For those friends who are no longer with us....we miss you and our times together were special....for you new folks...hello and who knows maybe I will see you sometimes and do I have lots of stories about the many great parties, fundraiser and other times I don't think I will post here........the site is what you make it....so make it fun....party hard and dance until you drop....don't worry someone will pick you up and help you back to your room.....

Oh, I am the guy with the cap on....the other guy Dave....Met him many years ago and his lovely wife Teri who is no longer with us...Dave lives way up north..but we are still as close as brothers....you can have a friendship like this.....

post edited by shape shifter 47 - 2016/11/10 20:59:08

gary "coolerman" & martha
Banking off of a northeast wind, sailing on a summer breeze
Susy
LocoGringo Customer
  • Total Posts : 3241
  • Reward points: 2055
Re: the forum... the way it used to be 2016/11/10 20:51:08 (permalink)
+2 (2)
Oh SS, what a wonderful response!  I wish there was some magical way for all of us to be able to be there at the same time someday!!!  Wouldn't that be the best ever???  I have met very few of my dear LG friends in person but I love each and every one of them nonetheless.  Some people may think that we're silly for still being here but I don't care ~ I've always felt that LG was a place that I could turn to in times of sadness and times of joy and always find people who cared!!!

shape shifter 47
Administrator
Re: the forum... the way it used to be 2016/11/10 20:56:21 (permalink)
+2 (2)
Susy:  You are right one, we did find LG to be our little connection to our friends and our favorite place we want to be at even when we couldn't make it south....we shared many laughs and tears..we got to know many who we never met but we knew them and their families....we watched kids grow up....friends get married on the beach and during sad times said good bye to those who were taken from us much to soon.

Oh, Susy and I have never met but we have been friends for, I am not sure, how many years.....and have spent many hours on LG together....

post edited by shape shifter 47 - 2016/11/10 21:23:52

9KrazyCats
LocoGringo Customer
  • Total Posts : 1397
  • Reward points: 1711
Re: the forum... the way it used to be 2016/11/10 22:12:23 (permalink)
+1 (1)
I think things started to change in a different direction about 3 or 4 years ago.  I started noticing people not being so nice to each other and arguing about things.  Then came the switch with the forums boards changing and it was getting difficult to post and use this forum. I also stopped for a bit when my son was diagnosed with cancer in 2014.  It seems to be very quick to post now, but I found I am not on my desktop computer much since I use my phone for just about everything now a days.  I find it's not easy to use LocoGringo on my phone though so I get on my desktop and check in about once a week or so to see if anything new has popped up.  I still think it's the best website for checking out properties and prices.  I am kind of keeping an eye on the road closures/snorkling groups situations too for updates.  I personally am not on Facebook, but I am on Instagram constantly.  I love to see your posts and videos there!  My son's leukemia just came back this August so we can't book another trip just yet, but this will be the first place we come to when we are ready!  Love you guys and hope more people will come back to LG. 
grcarver1
LocoGringo Customer
Re: the forum... the way it used to be 2016/11/10 22:52:52 (permalink)
Oh SS, you gave me sage advice many times and even shared a ghost story or two! Back then my screen name was absfam, but that went away with the new forums. Good to "see" you are still here!

― Ansel Adams
shape shifter 47
Administrator
Re: the forum... the way it used to be 2016/11/12 21:06:13 (permalink)
absfam...those were some good times weren't they.....how have you been.

grcarver1
LocoGringo Customer
Re: the forum... the way it used to be 2016/11/12 21:13:24 (permalink)
Yes, they were good times! You, IggyMama, Mags, GBG, Rose and many others were so wonderful to share your wisdom, and love of the area with all of us. Life is good. Kids are growing up. I first came to LG to plan our 10 year anniversary trip to ABR. Now, we are heading down for our 20th. . . Time flies. How are you doing sir?

― Ansel Adams
shape shifter 47
Administrator
Re: the forum... the way it used to be 2016/11/12 21:47:15 (permalink)
+2 (2)
Well we are up to 7 grand kids....LOL....Trying to decide when we should head south again and not looking forward to winter.  Saw Mags the last time we were in Akumal....other than that I haven't seen the rest of the old gang in a while.....

Have a blast on your trip....we renewed our vows two years ago in Akumal....Gary, Kay, Jim and Gayle were there.....Jim is Whale and Gayle is his wife.....it was great....

nipper
Ultimate Member
  • Total Posts : 13725
  • Reward points: 1859
Re: the forum... the way it used to be 2016/11/13 08:59:10 (permalink)
+2 (4)
shape shifter 47

We knew many folks, we laughed, we cried when friends were no longer with us and when together we partied like there was no tomorrow....I cannot count the number of folks I personally met and got to know while helping on LG....but I do remember when we had the largest LG party fundraiser....I believe there was around 125 of us crazies in Akumal at one time.....remember that Kay....

I remember that well! It was a lot of fun meeting folks we had only talked with online. We are having the 10th anniversary meet in 2017.

post edited by nipper - 2016/11/13 09:08:02

AASB 2018 created good memories. Getting ready for 2019!!
1runjuan
LocoGringo Customer
  • Total Posts : 6992
  • Reward points: 1935
Re: the forum... the way it used to be 2016/11/13 09:25:27 (permalink)
+1 (3)
hola all,
i am forever thankful for the LGs that i've met thru my very short
time here on LG and on the sand.......in Akumal
i haven't posted in awhile as when i do i lose the post , its very frustrating
for  they can be pretty long , and no , i will not do some magic to save it ,
so for one fix the site........make it easier in that regard , maybe i'll be inclined
to join mi amigos and amigas in the BC and of course the jokes forum , love me
some good jokes .................much love to all .......now to get thru winter......ick...
1RJ
shape shifter 47
Administrator
Re: the forum... the way it used to be 2016/11/13 20:27:16 (permalink)
Nipper, great photos,  have several stashed away and will try to post a few.....may have to call Jim/Whale to help me.....I have some that maybe I shouldn't post as well..........Like the shot of me with my Irish Whiskey and Newsy standing next to me....

CallMeFrank
LocoGringo Customer
  • Total Posts : 6066
  • Reward points: 2150
Re: the forum... the way it used to be 2016/11/14 16:28:05 (permalink)
1runjuan
hola all,
i am forever thankful for the LGs that i've met thru my very short
time here on LG and on the sand.......in Akumal
i haven't posted in awhile as when i do i lose the post , its very frustrating
for  they can be pretty long , and no , i will not do some magic to save it ,
so for one fix the site........make it easier in that regard , maybe i'll be inclined
to join mi amigos and amigas in the BC and of course the jokes forum , love me
some good jokes .................much love to all .......now to get thru winter......ick...
1RJ

Got some new jokes in the jokes forum.  More to come.  Hope your not blond!
post edited by CallMeFrank - 2016/11/14 16:35:53
CallMeFrank
LocoGringo Customer
Re: the forum... the way it used to be 2016/11/14 16:39:48 (permalink)
Not to pat my wife on the back but I think you need to get someone like her to participate in the forums on a daily basis.  Not the Other Topics-the edge, but the Akumal forum.  Seems to me the forums went downhill after she quit posting.  Thanks for all you did for us.  Much appreciated.  Wish we had the pesos to come down and see you and Gary but they are a little tight with me not working due to medical problems.  FYi for those using Obamacare.  Watch out, it can come back to bite you if you figures are not spot one.  I was surprised with a 5 figure bill, all 5 figures on the left side of the decimal point.  Should sue my insurance agent but the agent asked what our salaries from work were.  Didn't know we had to include investments like my rental property and  financial investments. 
post edited by CallMeFrank - 2016/11/15 00:08:30
CallMeFrank
LocoGringo Customer
Re: the forum... the way it used to be 2016/11/15 00:05:02 (permalink)
+1 (1)
SS---Did you read on The Edge that Kevin and Kaitlyn are expecting in Feb.?  Can you believe that kid is 25 already?  How time flies.  Will be our first grandchild (that we know of ).  I'm excited but Craig is over the top evidenced by all the stuff around the house and the credit card bill.

Kay---I would not be interested in a Facebook site.  As far as social media goes, LG is it for me.
post edited by CallMeFrank - 2016/11/15 00:06:36
Bob in Milw
Cooler Carrying Member
  • Total Posts : 3909
  • Reward points: 1997
Re: the forum... the way it used to be 2016/11/15 09:43:46 (permalink)
Gary, you nailed it !
Man did we have fun back then or what. I loved going on LG every morning to check out everything that was going on.
Now I only go on once a week or so just to lurk on BC because it's the only active thread left. I still post on our AASB thread in parties forum because I hook with that gang every year for our annual spring bash. 10 year anniversary this May. (I made 8 of them) Please join us one of these years. 
I talk to a lot of the "old timers" on FB and see some in person down in Mexico but for some reason can't convince them to come back and play on LG. There are several Akumal groups and even a couple AASB groups on FB where we all chat that kind of replaced LG but I still miss the old days here and would love to see them return.
Susy, I'm glad we talk on FB but miss seeing you post over here.
Peace, Bimmy

Jamie
LocoGringo Customer
  • Total Posts : 3798
  • Reward points: 1711
Re: the forum... the way it used to be 2016/11/15 15:57:11 (permalink)
I still check LG daily and post once in awhile and hope to get back next spring. My take is less of the regulars are going as often to Akumal, partly due to the daytrippers but also IMO due to the harassment of people telling you lies like you have to hire a guide, etc. Others are splitting their trips, Puerto Morelos seems popular with many.

CallMeFrank
LocoGringo Customer
Re: the forum... the way it used to be 2016/11/15 16:42:34 (permalink)
Jamie
I still check LG daily and post once in awhile and hope to get back next spring. My take is less of the regulars are going as often to Akumal, partly due to the daytrippers but also IMO due to the harassment of people telling you lies like you have to hire a guide, etc. Others are splitting their trips, Puerto Morelos seems popular with many.

Jamie--You nailed it.  From what I've read, it is not the same as 5 years ago.  When we go again I think Akumal will just be a day trip.  Probably would go to Coz or Puerto Moreles.  Only problem with PM from what I've read, is you got to pay to snorkel which would be a real bummer.  I usually go out 4 times a day.  Would get awfully expensive.
Steve O
Cooler Carrying Member
  • Total Posts : 824
  • Reward points: 1428
Re: the forum... the way it used to be 2016/11/15 19:07:33 (permalink)
+1 (1)
I think I stopped going to Akumal around 2002 when I couldn't rent a condo for $50 a night anymore. It got to be to expensive. The only time I could drink at Lol Ha bar was at happy hour. The same thing happened in Tulum around 6 years ago. The cabanas on the beach were no longer available for $35 to $50 a night and eating on the beach was costing $12 to $15 for just a snack. I will stop by the town of Tulum maybe once a year as there are some decent restaurants there and I visit friends. I'll drive down the beach road on my way to Punta Allen but never stop for a drink or to eat because it has become to high class for me. It's not fun any more. Both places have some of the best beaches in Mexico but there are still other places to visit that aren't that crowded or expensive. I think Punta Allen and Holbox will be the next to go but there are still nice places to visit that are not as expensive and still have the older Mexican vibe. I still recommend visiting Punta Allen before the road gets a permanent fix along with Rio Largotas, Celestun, and Campeche.
Bosco
Ultimate Member
  • Total Posts : 7518
  • Reward points: 2402
Re: the forum... the way it used to be 2016/11/16 08:12:44 (permalink)
0 (2)
Thanks for asking Kay.

I understand thing change. LG was FB before FB was FB. You guys filled a void. I have met some wonderful people I never would have, and I thank you for that. I would hope that the forums helped you become successful. I think of the other web sites sort of like yours, Bill in Tulsa, Texas Pepper, and others, that started back then too. Look where they are, and look where you are.
You created a successful business. Being at the right place at the right time was a factor, but other players were in the same place and did not become so successful. YOU made it happen. Congrats for that.

Now for the constructive criticism.

The forums are no longer use friendly.
1 - the forums are buggy. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt.
2 - If you start writing a post and don't submit it, and you go back a page to see what someone else said, you lose your post.
3- It is very difficult to post pictures VS other places, like FB, where you can post it directly from your phone, rather than upload it first to a third party site, and then try to figure out how to link the picture, like you have to do on LG.

That said...I would move this to FB. It's time. Why invest in reinventing the wheel?

A world of my own
I'll make it my home sweet home...
Kay
Administrator
  • Total Posts : 2528
  • Reward points: 2074
Re: the forum... the way it used to be 2016/11/16 09:23:54 (permalink)
+1 (1)
Bosco
Thanks for asking Kay.

I understand thing change. LG was FB before FB was FB. You guys filled a void. I have met some wonderful people I never would have, and I thank you for that. I would hope that the forums helped you become successful. I think of the other web sites sort of like yours, Bill in Tulsa, Texas Pepper, and others, that started back then too. Look where they are, and look where you are.
You created a successful business. Being at the right place at the right time was a factor, but other players were in the same place and did not become so successful. YOU made it happen. Congrats for that.

Now for the constructive criticism.

The forums are no longer use friendly.
1 - the forums are buggy. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt.
2 - If you start writing a post and don't submit it, and you go back a page to see what someone else said, you lose your post.
3- It is very difficult to post pictures VS other places, like FB, where you can post it directly from your phone, rather than upload it first to a third party site, and then try to figure out how to link the picture, like you have to do on LG.

That said...I would move this to FB. It's time. Why invest in reinventing the wheel?

Bosco, aww thank you for all the kind words. It literally brought tears to my eyes. 

The forums are buggy, and the software is no longer supported by the developers.  The software we tried to move to a few years ago would have allowed much of a Facebook-type of ease for photos and videos.  But everyone gave us so much resistance to a new style, and wanted to have something similar to what we had is how we got to where we are today.  

At some point we will have to look at moving to new software again, or moving to Facebook.   

I appreciate your input, it helps us alot. 

Stalk me on:
FacebookPinterestInstagram
Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5