Giving this another shot- Puerto Morelos or Playa del Carmen?

Author
Edamama
Cooler Carrying Member
  • Total Posts : 82
  • Reward points: 1634
2015/11/02 10:19:55 (permalink)

Giving this another shot- Puerto Morelos or Playa del Carmen?

I left here for many months, but am going to give this another shot. I went to make a ticker today and realized that it is only 3 months until our trip! I am beyond excited and have one big decision and a few minor ones left to iron out. I really need some help from here on out and I hope I will find it with you all here.

We are taking a 3 week trip up and down the RM. The last leg of our trip was a 4 day stay in Puerto Morelos. However, our lodging fell through so I am reconsidering our options. This seems like so much talking but there are many factors and wheels in motion with this trip.
Here are the considerations:
Itinerary prior to this last leg: Isla Mujeres (house on beach)-Tulum(cabana on beach)-Akumal (apartment blocks off beach)-Valladolid (hotel in town/no beach)-???
This last leg of trip is 4 days, flying out the afternoon of day 4.
We want to be able to hang out on the beach.
We would like to go to PM.
We would like to go to PDC to eat/shop one day.
We will be taking a ferry one day to Cozumel to SCUBA in the morning.
We are not big partiers.
We love great authentic food.

The dilemma is this:
  • Do we stay 1 block off the beach in PM and travel to PDC, ferry to Cozumel to dive one morning, then spend the afternoon/evening in PDC? I must have El Fagon tacos. Pro's- PM offers quaint quiet experience, great food, great beach right? And housing close to beach. Clower to airport. 
  • OR
  • Do we stay at a cute bungalow about 5 km south of PCD. Its in the jungle about 1km from the beach. They cook authentic breakfasts. This is closer to ferry. Unique family run experience. Cons are distance from beach and distance from PDC and PM. Also, I hear the beaches arent very nice/smelly?
I have no desire to pay to go to Xcaret. 

What do you suggest we do, where and why? What is the last best stay before flying out?

crunch
Ultimate Member
  • Total Posts : 29470
  • Reward points: 1971
Re: Giving this another shot- Puerto Morelos or Playa del Carmen? 2015/11/02 12:07:46 (permalink)
+1 (1)
PM is a great place to stay before flying out.  And it has all the charm of a Mexican town plus a wonderful beach and tons of restaurants that are great and you can just walk to.  It is much more chill then PDC in my opinion.
Susy
LocoGringo Customer
  • Total Posts : 3241
  • Reward points: 2055
Re: Giving this another shot- Puerto Morelos or Playa del Carmen? 2015/11/02 13:15:41 (permalink)
I agree with Crunch although I've never been to PM.  Several people here on LG have stayed in PM and loved it.  If you're only going to Cozumel for one day, staying close to PDC wouldn't really be necessary ~ I think you would also miss being on the beach.

Jamie
LocoGringo Customer
  • Total Posts : 3798
  • Reward points: 1711
Re: Giving this another shot- Puerto Morelos or Playa del Carmen? 2015/11/02 14:58:15 (permalink)
I've stayed in Puerto Morelos several times but not Playa del Carmen. PM is a nice place, very laid back - my one regret is that the Jungle Spa was closed for the day the last time I was there. They do have diving there, Wet Set gets good reviews. Hopefully someone who is a diver can provide better advice.
tot
Cooler Carrying Member
  • Total Posts : 87
  • Reward points: 1252
Re: Giving this another shot- Puerto Morelos or Playa del Carmen? 2015/11/03 17:05:53 (permalink)
Maybe it depends on how early you are willing to get out of bed to get to Cozumel? You might check the dive times available with your preferred dive shop.
bouldergal
LocoGringo Customer
  • Total Posts : 38
  • Reward points: 2098
Re: Giving this another shot- Puerto Morelos or Playa del Carmen? 2015/11/04 12:36:18 (permalink)
Depending on your dive schedule, I'd stay in PM for all of the above noted reasons.  I stay at Cabanas Puerto Morelos and love the location.
Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5