Last Minute Tips / Info for ABR / ABWR

Author
georocheleau
  • Total Posts : 37
  • Reward points: 742
2015/03/04 11:15:33 (permalink)

Last Minute Tips / Info for ABR / ABWR

Very excited to be returning ON FRIDAY, MARCH 6TH, to the newly remodeled Akumal Bay Resort (ABR), now called Akumal Beach & Wellness Resort, or at least I think that's the new name.  If they have a new website, I'm not finding it....

Any insider info from recent guests would be most appreciated!  I've read on Locogringo about 4 restaurants but am not seeing any details on their website.  Where can I see the new offerings?

I understand the big jugs of water in the hallways are gone.  Was there plenty of water available?  Easy to come by?  Any coconut water to be had?  How was the entertainment?  Food the same or improved?  Beds comfy?  Can we sleep with fresh air flowing into the room while we listen to the surf?  Is signing up for the gourmet restaurants easy and straightforward?  

Any**** with Apple Vacations?  If so, how's the rep?  Thank you in advance for any tips!

Georgette
bassguy66
Cooler Carrying Member
  • Total Posts : 323
  • Reward points: 781
Re: Last Minute Tips / Info for ABR / ABWR 2015/03/04 11:37:24 (permalink)
-1 (1)
There seems to be at least 3 or 4 ABR threads going already, and the answers to most of your questions are there.

SnorkelNfools
LocoGringo Customer
  • Total Posts : 3242
  • Reward points: 2172
Re: Last Minute Tips / Info for ABR / ABWR 2015/03/04 16:35:09 (permalink)
+1 (1)
We just returned from a week at the new ABR.  Many improvements!

There are now stocked mini fridges in the rooms.  They are checked and refreshed daily.  Small bottles of water are left in the room on a daily basis.  The big coolers in the walkways are gone.

I did not see coconut water.

The entertainment program is listed on a pamphlet in the room.  There are activities all day long.  Some of them are annoying. There is nightly entertainment in the bar.  There are three live bands that alternate.  A small group of entertainment staff are also present to get people dancing.  They are not as involved as the old animacion staff used to be.

Food is good - and there is much more of it - everywhere!  Snack bar is open 24 hours.  Buffet food is improved, but can still get boring after several days.  There is no reservation for the specialty restaurants - just show up.  Dressed for the occasion of course!

Beds and bedding are much improver and super comfy.  Depending on your room you can sleep with the doors open.  Just be careful as the main room door will slam shut forcefully if both it and the patio slider are both open.

Grounds are beautiful, but it was a bit crowded for us.  Towel game in full swing and large groups of foreign tourists who do not always play by the rules.

We booked through LG so do not have the Apple answers.

Enjoy your vacation and let us all know what you think of the improvements!

Keav & Pam

georocheleau
Re: Last Minute Tips / Info for ABR / ABWR 2015/03/04 16:44:10 (permalink)
Thank you so much for the detailed response, SnorkelINfools. We loved the place before, though it will be nice to feel a bit more pampered in more upscale room.  So pleased to see plenty of sea life in the long video one of the other Locogringos put on YouTube!  

I'm trying mightily not to overpack, but I'm pretty hopeless in that department.  
water baby
Cooler Carrying Member
  • Total Posts : 763
  • Reward points: 2219
Re: Last Minute Tips / Info for ABR / ABWR 2015/03/04 17:23:03 (permalink)
+1 (1)
We always kept the slider door open a little for the fresh air and to hear the waves at night. There was a fresh couple of bottles of water in the room each day. I take an extra insulated bottle from home and just made sure it got filled at supper with water for a back up. The apple rep was there daily and easy to work with. There is one day a week when she was not there, but I don't remember which day. No coconut water that I saw. No need to sign up for the restaurants and only the Gourmet has a long pants rule for men.
georocheleau
Re: Last Minute Tips / Info for ABR / ABWR 2015/03/04 18:00:59 (permalink)
Thank you, Water Baby.  Were the gourmet restaurants very busy?  kid-friendly?  

Georgette
water baby
Cooler Carrying Member
  • Total Posts : 763
  • Reward points: 2219
Re: Last Minute Tips / Info for ABR / ABWR 2015/03/05 16:47:32 (permalink)
We usually ate right when they opened and had no wait. After around 7 p.m. there was a wait line especially for the Gourmet and oriental. As far as we could tell, they were kid friendly.
Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5