Car vs. Transfer

Author
CivicDriver
Cooler Carrying Member
  • Total Posts : 84
  • Reward points: 1725
2015/01/04 19:13:56 (permalink)

Car vs. Transfer

We need advice regarding car rental… and this time it’s not about which company to use! This year, we will be staying for two weeks (opposed to the usual one) at a house between Akumal Bay and Half Moon Bay for our honeymoon. We've done both: We rented a car last year for our trip to Akumal without problem and have used transfers to/from all-inclusive resorts in PDC.

The appeal of renting a car is that we will be able to go wherever we want whenever we want, easily restock groceries throughout our stay, and possibly drive to Ek Balam for a day. The appeal of transfers is that it is obviously cheaper (especially so for a two-week period) and we don’t have to deal with the rigmarole of renting a car. It seems appealing to be “stranded” and just being able to relax without feeling the obligation to make use of the expensive rental car, if that makes sense.

During “extended” stays, which do you prefer and why?
Vancouver Sundog
LocoGringo Customer
  • Total Posts : 7884
  • Reward points: 2572
Re: Car vs. Transfer 2015/01/04 19:49:22 (permalink)
I rent a small car for $35-40 a day

I know some that rent golf carts to get around - which usually costs more than a car rental

A taxi in and out of HMB to Akumal  is almost $20 US. Usually 100+  pesos each way.  

You can rent a car part way through as an option

I always tell friends to do this in the middle of their trip for 4-5 days to try it out (baby steps)

A triple PMASB2019  & AASB2019 (Part  I & II) -
Happening now

Wanderlust4Mexico
LocoGringo Customer
  • Total Posts : 714
  • Reward points: 1345
Re: Car vs. Transfer 2015/01/04 20:14:48 (permalink)
Car.......for the freedom and flexibility. It just makes visits to Tulum, PDC, Coba, cenotes,etc....more accessible.

"Not all who wander are lost" - J. R. R. Tolkien
Vancouver Sundog
LocoGringo Customer
Re: Car vs. Transfer 2015/01/04 21:13:09 (permalink)
Yes, most of the cenotes / beach bars (Xpu-Ha, Casa Cenote / Tulum / Solomon Bay) are well worth renting a car 

rigmarole of renting a car. - usually 30 minutes at the beginning of the trip to fill out the paper work / 15 minutes at the end checking in the car

Then 2-3 gas fillups
post edited by Vancouver Sundog - 2015/01/04 21:15:06

Happening now

juan rojo
LocoGringo Customer
  • Total Posts : 931
  • Reward points: 1533
Re: Car vs. Transfer 2015/01/05 13:00:06 (permalink)
I do understand the appeal of being stranded and our car often sits unused or underused but we rent one anyway . I am very frugal but still prefer to have the car . We trade some luxe in the lodgings for the car but it's also been a long time since our honeymoon .

I recall you doing complete and proper car rental research so I know you grasp the nuances and general concepts .
An important but not always obvious consideration is alcohol consumption and any touring and how that can impact your enjoyment and planning days around the boozing .

A possible compromise solution with some benefits for the days involved is to rent right from CUN airport and use the car as a transfer and for grocery buying and getting set up vehicle and then plan a day to return the car in person to Tulum or PDC after a few days or as you see fit . If you can return along the lines of your airport pick up time , even better .

You could reverse this process at the end of the trip or perhaps only at the end of the trip after plenty of chillin at the condo at first .

Remote car drops can be problematic but planning a day to pick up a car in person is easy enough with your airport drop off time considered as with the opposite strategy above . The America Car Rental or Easyway locations in Tulum are very easy and you could book a car online while there and pick it up by colectivo anytime as you see fit , even in the middle .

Please be happy always

PARTLY CLOUDY = MOSTLY SUNNY
CivicDriver
Cooler Carrying Member
Re: Car vs. Transfer 2015/01/05 13:35:36 (permalink)
Thank you all. It sounds like car rental is the popular choice.

Juan - Yes, I did all my research this last time and had a seamless first car rental experience.

You bring up another good point about alcohol consumption. That kind of goes into my mentioning of "rigmarole of renting a car"... I always have to be on my best behavior if I plan on driving! I was considering the possibility of renting a car out of Tulum for the latter part of the trip. Vancouver Sundog helped me locate America Car Rental's location in Tulum on Google Street View so that's certainly an option.

If we were to colectivo down to Tulum, where would I request the driver to stop? Or would I just holler "stop" as we get close to that main intersection?
SchnauzerDog
LocoGringo Customer
  • Total Posts : 3686
  • Reward points: 2125
Re: Car vs. Transfer 2015/01/05 13:53:14 (permalink)
My big concern is, thus far, I've not been able to find a car rental company in MX that offers decent liability insurance- even though they charge huge fees for their mandatory daily 3rd person liability- their maximum coverage doesn't come slightly close to the coverage you'd need in the event of a law suit.    Not to mention the reviews- horror stories- I've read on TA about car rental agencies and vehicles rented out down there.
It really pays to research the insurance.

juan rojo
LocoGringo Customer
Re: Car vs. Transfer 2015/01/05 15:00:23 (permalink)
I saw your comment on the other thread Shnauzer . The reviews , I would discount almost totally having rented from America Car Rental five times during the life of one of those threads . Your main point about sufficient liability insurance is also I thought you would find out , that none are sufficient . We have lived with that risk but I believe that there are international insurers , maybe Lloyds , that do provide only the excess coverage you wish . We spoke to full time residents who had this bundled with their health care excess coverage if I remember correctly . My correct memory of the conversation is also questionable as it occurred at happy hour at Lol Ha . HA!

Please be happy always

SchnauzerDog
LocoGringo Customer
Re: Car vs. Transfer 2015/01/05 17:09:34 (permalink)
Red John...  

Yeah.. not happy about the insufficient insurance. $14 a day liability.. for what?  Then $40 day collison on top of that.   

Interestingly.. in my research I found out that  my Canada Direct personal car insurance will cover all my collision and 3 mil liability for 15 days on my rentals in the USA or Canada---  at no charge.  Sadly, they won't touch rentals in Mexico. 

I"m not willing to take the risk of low liablility insurance in Mexico.   Then again.. renting bicycles is a good way to go.  :)

juan rojo
LocoGringo Customer
Re: Car vs. Transfer 2015/01/05 19:38:53 (permalink)
Civic Driver , sorry I missed your question . Yes , the driver will yell San Francisco at that major intersection .
However , all across Mexico , Francisco is commonly substituted with Pancho , in honour of Francisco , Pancho , Villa . The one time we rode the colectivo the driver did use the nickname San Pancho but you know what corner you want anyway .

Please be happy always

Vancouver Sundog
LocoGringo Customer
Re: Car vs. Transfer 2015/01/05 21:07:27 (permalink)
You have me researching now

SLI (Supplementary Liability Insurance) or SAI is available from some rentals companies as an add on (possibly about $15  a day) 

All the limits are different so understand what the basic PLI is

Happening now

CivicDriver
Cooler Carrying Member
Re: Car vs. Transfer 2015/01/05 22:34:47 (permalink)
I've been periodically checking rental prices and noticed tonight that prices on America Car Rental have increased from a couple days ago by about $200-250 for a two-week period! If we choose to rent, hopefully those prices don't stick around.
SchnauzerDog
LocoGringo Customer
Re: Car vs. Transfer 2015/01/06 00:12:03 (permalink)
SD- let me know if you find any that will insure for 2 mill- ( which is standard in Canada and the US for a very small annual rate).   I've run into a brick wall as the additional $15 a day these companies in Mexico charge leave you,IMO, liable with their minimal coverage.  I have to question what you're really getting for that fee.  Except perhaps taken to the cleaners.  :)

post edited by SchnauzerDog - 2015/01/06 00:19:15

Vancouver Sundog
LocoGringo Customer
Re: Car vs. Transfer 2015/01/06 01:50:43 (permalink)
Interesting

My America rates/quote for late April haven't changed

Happening now

uphillklimber
Ultimate Member
  • Total Posts : 6936
  • Reward points: 2329
Re: Car vs. Transfer 2015/01/06 06:50:47 (permalink)
+2 (2)
Here is my take on it. First, let's set the stage. I've already invested thousands into this trip, and with all that goes into the prep, boarding the dog, getting to the airport, etc..... I'm going to worry about a rental vs transfer vs cab, etc. Personally, I find the whole rental thing to be above my stress tolerance level. Insurance, gassing, parking it, taking care of it. I don't travel all that much off resort (perhaps 3 to 4 times in a week), and would probably get lost. Then there is the Pemex switch a roo to deal with, propina when pulled over for a violation, etc....

When I look at rental costs, verses hiring a cab, to me, it's a no brainer. The cabbie knows how to get us to our destination. I pay him, chat him up for local info, give him a tip, we are both happy. Or, I'll book an excursion, which includes an AC bus, food and stops at good places to see and eat. I just relax and am along for the ride.

Now sometimes, you need a car for some things. Typically, there are other people you group up with, who have no anxiety about renting a car. Well, for this trip, let me buy the gas, or pick up the dinner check. You got the car, I'll pitch in somehow. And thank you for driving.

Part of my vacation is no driving. During the year, I drive (commute) just too much. I truly consider no driving to be part of my vacation. And I relax and chill and go with the flow.

Lovin life,
Bob

Seagoat
Ultimate Member
  • Total Posts : 5016
  • Reward points: 1907
Re: Car vs. Transfer 2015/01/06 09:46:54 (permalink)
uphillklimber
Here is my take on it. First, let's set the stage. I've already invested thousands into this trip, and with all that goes into the prep, boarding the dog, getting to the airport, etc..... I'm going to worry about a rental vs transfer vs cab, etc. Personally, I find the whole rental thing to be above my stress tolerance level. Insurance, gassing, parking it, taking care of it. I don't travel all that much off resort (perhaps 3 to 4 times in a week), and would probably get lost. Then there is the Pemex switch a roo to deal with, propina when pulled over for a violation, etc....

When I look at rental costs, verses hiring a cab, to me, it's a no brainer. The cabbie knows how to get us to our destination. I pay him, chat him up for local info, give him a tip, we are both happy. Or, I'll book an excursion, which includes an AC bus, food and stops at good places to see and eat. I just relax and am along for the ride.

Now sometimes, you need a car for some things. Typically, there are other people you group up with, who have no anxiety about renting a car. Well, for this trip, let me buy the gas, or pick up the dinner check. You got the car, I'll pitch in somehow. And thank you for driving.

Part of my vacation is no driving. During the year, I drive (commute) just too much. I truly consider no driving to be part of my vacation. And I relax and chill and go with the flow.

Totally agree Bob.  Some people will do anything to save a few dollars.  
I like the hassle-free cab option.  Even if you end up spending a wee bit more of your money, it's worth it to me.  

Cheers,
Seagoat

Ellelive
Cooler Carrying Member
  • Total Posts : 327
  • Reward points: 515
Re: Car vs. Transfer 2015/01/06 10:54:00 (permalink)
I always go threw Hertz, book online use AAA or AARP, don't laugh.
I asked for the manager years ago and have gotten friendly since. I'm in and out of there in 20-30 minutes.
I love the freedom of going where I want when I want.
Can't even begin to tell you the places I've been because of having the car at my disposal.
Go for it.

Scuba is my passion :)

Seagoat
Ultimate Member
  • Total Posts : 5016
  • Reward points: 1907
Re: Car vs. Transfer 2015/01/06 11:09:40 (permalink)
Ellelive
Can't even begin to tell you the places I've been because of having the car at my disposal.
Go for it.

I've been all over the Roo as well and have never rented a car! .  It's always a bonus to have friends that do though!  :)

Seagoat

CivicDriver
Cooler Carrying Member
Re: Car vs. Transfer 2015/01/06 11:23:02 (permalink)
Ellelive

I just looked up Hertz through the AAA website and found a rate of $468 for two weeks. I don't see any mention of insurance so I'm assuming that's added on later upon pickup?
Vancouver Sundog
LocoGringo Customer
Re: Car vs. Transfer 2015/01/06 20:58:01 (permalink)
quote: I like the hassle-free cab option.  Even if you end up spending a wee bit more of your money, it's worth it to me.  

Smile: No free rides in my rental car. But my rates are reasonable

Happening now

uphillklimber
Ultimate Member
  • Total Posts : 6936
  • Reward points: 2329
Re: Car vs. Transfer 2015/01/07 06:37:03 (permalink)
CivicDriver
Ellelive

I just looked up Hertz through the AAA website and found a rate of $468 for two weeks. I don't see any mention of insurance so I'm assuming that's added on later upon pickup?

Last year, just as a for instance, I booked transfers with my trip up front, but I think they $57.00 PP. We hired a cab for 6 hours for $90, plus $10 tip, ( Around the island sight seeing, and drop off in town) one day and another cab for $20.00 (back to the resort). Total Transportation costs on island was $234 for the 10 day vacation, no driving for me, no worries. Mostly, we were diving and snorkeling.

Lovin life,
Bob

LB 4
  • Total Posts : 13
  • Reward points: 761
Re: Car vs. Transfer 2015/01/07 09:26:44 (permalink)
This year will be our 15th year of renting a car in Mexico. Having a car will give you much more freedom. We really have never had a problem. Yes got taken a few times at Pemex life goes on. However Pemex has gotten much better in the last 3 years. America they are the best out of all the rental companys we have used.
4chi
Starting Member
  • Total Posts : 22
  • Reward points: 1417
Re: Car vs. Transfer 2015/01/07 15:23:52 (permalink)
I'm thinking of using Cancun Valet:  $165 roundtrip for the four of us to Akumal.  Then we could rent a car by day if we had the need.
Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5