Looking for trip / resort suggestions

Author
jabostick
  • Total Posts : 49
  • Reward points: 768
2014/12/29 11:26:47 (permalink)

Looking for trip / resort suggestions

It’s been quite a while since I’ve been on here but we’re getting the urge to plan a trip again and wanted to get some feedback/recommendations. For comparison, we’ve been to ABR once (Feb 2013) and to Cozumel (El Cozumeleno in 2007) once. This will be the first time going with kids.
Also, I’m starting the search in Mexico but would be open to other countries as well, if someone has a specific suggestion.

Here are some things we’d be looking for:

Probably all-inclusive – not opposed to renting a condo but I think AI would be easier for us.
Easy access snorkeling – both places we stayed at had snorkeling right off their beach
Good kids club – our girls will be 4 and 7 by the time we travel. They’re easy-going and would enjoy just playing on the beach/in the pool but I think they’d get a kick out of some structured activities and meeting other kids.
We’re pretty low maintenance when it comes to food and accommodations. We certainly appreciate good food and a nice room but we’d rather sacrifice room amenities vs snorkel access, for example.
We’d probably travel in November 2015 or Jan 2016 (2016 sounds way too far away), if that helps.

Thanks in advance!

Kwing
Ultimate Member
  • Total Posts : 8221
  • Reward points: 1990
Re: Looking for trip / resort suggestions 2014/12/29 16:49:42 (permalink)
+1 (1)
Grand Palladium has good snorkeling, kids club, new kids water park, has recently refurbished rooms in the Kantenah and Colonial section.  A ton of variety in the food area.  It does get a lot of repeat visitors as well. 
Vancouver Sundog
LocoGringo Customer
  • Total Posts : 7884
  • Reward points: 2572
Re: Looking for trip / resort suggestions 2014/12/29 20:51:00 (permalink)
+1 (1)
Barcelo is also another resort with very good beach snorkeling (as my son tells me)

They are also upgrading the lower class rooms so all of them can be accessed (no 2 class system) other than the AO section  

A triple PMASB2019  & AASB2019 (Part  I & II) -
Happening now

carolslc
LocoGringo Customer
  • Total Posts : 323
  • Reward points: 2094
Re: Looking for trip / resort suggestions 2014/12/30 08:08:34 (permalink)
+1 (1)
When I did research early this year to bring my kids to an AI in the Riviera Maya, Barcelo Maya came out on top. Because my oldest is 14 (over 12), a condo actually came out to be cheaper. But if both my kids were under 12, I would totally do it. They have a water park and activities for kids, and also good snorkeling off the beach (from the reports).

Good luck and enjoy!

jabostick
  • Total Posts : 49
  • Reward points: 768
Re: Looking for trip / resort suggestions 2014/12/30 14:14:08 (permalink)
Thanks for the suggestions!

MikeandLes
LocoGringo Customer
  • Total Posts : 63
  • Reward points: 1389
Re: Looking for trip / resort suggestions 2015/01/01 08:48:33 (permalink)
+1 (1)
You could always go back and check out the "new" ABR.  Our daughter has always liked the kids club.  It's pretty mellow compared to the big resorts (the most I've ever seen is maybe 12 kids) but sounds like it might suit yours well.
papacutoffs
  • Total Posts : 59
  • Reward points: 1180
Re: Looking for trip / resort suggestions 2015/01/04 12:17:45 (permalink)
+1 (1)
ABR can't be beat for snorkeling and beach, Iberostar Tucan great beach, smaller resort on the so. end of playa del Carmen. Taxi or colectivo to akumal to visit the turtles. It was our favorite before Abr. Close enuf to walk to Playa, but feels like your in the jungle. Even has resident monkeys. Iberostar Cozumel Fair snorkeling, not much sand need water shoes for the beach area. Has a dock with ladder for snorkel access. In a Marine Preserve, another smaller resort. All 3 have kids clubs. For us coming from Minnesota, Aug and sept are about 20% cheaper than Nov. Some resorts relax there Kids stay free rules then too !

nipper
Ultimate Member
  • Total Posts : 13725
  • Reward points: 1859
Re: Looking for trip / resort suggestions 2015/01/06 14:43:56 (permalink)
An aquaintance is going to the Palladium in April or May and wonders if the snorkeling there is best in any particular place. Any help from the regulars? Thanks.

AASB 2018 created good memories. Getting ready for 2019!!
Jamie
LocoGringo Customer
  • Total Posts : 3798
  • Reward points: 1711
Re: Looking for trip / resort suggestions 2015/01/06 15:56:08 (permalink)
nipper, haven't seen her post on here in awhile (she mostly posts on TA) but Cape Cod Ann is a regular and just got back from another trip to Palladium. Maybe send her a PM?
katzgar
One Strike
  • Total Posts : 361
  • Reward points: 1414
Re: Looking for trip / resort suggestions 2015/01/10 16:33:46 (permalink)
-1 (1)
easiest access snorkeling will be either roatan or belize atolls but no AI in belize and 1 maybe 2 on roatan.

Katzgar
Vancouver Sundog
LocoGringo Customer
  • Total Posts : 7884
  • Reward points: 2572
Re: Looking for trip / resort suggestions 2015/01/10 17:39:57 (permalink)
+1 (1)
Try a different location rather than just up the road from ABR

How about Isla Mujeres (has some s AIs, B&Bs, condos, villas,  fantastic beaches, golf carts go everywhere on the small island)

A triple PMASB2019  & AASB2019 (Part  I & II) -
Happening now

threesons
Cooler Carrying Member
  • Total Posts : 381
  • Reward points: 308
Re: Looking for trip / resort suggestions 2015/01/12 12:59:41 (permalink)
+1 (1)
I can only say the Palladium resort is awesome and we have loved going there the past 5 vacations.  When I read your post I also thought about the beautiful kids water park area that is fairly new and have heard many great reviews on the kids programs at the resort. W
We have not traveled with young ones but as a Mom I generally take these things in so when I am giving advise to anyone who asks I can give a good answer.  I have noted that the staff are wonderful with the children, watching them in the evening shows and also at meals.  We have had the pleasure of sitting at tables near the team with the children at lunch time and have been very impressed with how they handle all the kids and are sure they are all eating etc.  They are always so well behaved too!
My husband and I both enjoy snorkeling and have enjoyed snorkeling both around the reefs in front of the white sands section and also at the Kantaneh sections where it is a bit deeper.  For the kids there is also the salt water pool where little fish etc do get into the pool and it is a great place to teach how to snorkel. The reef areas at white sands are quite shallow so also awesome for beginners or kids or families going out together.
As you have been to ABR you know about Akumal and this is a short collectivo trip away from the Palladium if you want. 
Other great things for families at the Palladium...water is filtered on site so all safe for drinking which can be a concern for kids. The beach has lots of shade and sun areas and I have read this is a concern at the Barcelo resort where there is little shade on the beach, with children you like both!
Food, lots of options at the Palladium and if you have any food allergies or concerns they have a great program there to help with this. There are children's menus available in all al la cartes so if you want something and have a picky eater or a kid who just eats pasta every night you can have what you want and your child can also.  No reservations needed and if you go early there are generally no waits for getting in either and there is the buffet if you would rather not do a restaurant. 
Rooms, there rooms are a good size and you can have two double beds set up plus the sofa which makes into a bed. It is also a low sofa bed so great for younger kids.  If the room is not a big concern then this should be more than ample space for your family.  Rooms are comfortable and beds are not soft but for us just right. There is a tub/shower combo in the rooms so again for kids a tub is often the best.
Lots of things to do at the resort, programs all day and evening for all ages and many pools to visit, on site sports area and spa and mini golf etc and you can see lots of wild life too.  Bird watching and butterfly watchers can see many types. 
Overall this is a wonderful place for families, couples and large groups with lots to do or you can simply enjoy the spectacular beach.  If you have further questions I can help with feel free to PM me.  Hope you find just the right place for your family vacation!

friecs
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points: 10
Re: Looking for trip / resort suggestions 2015/01/16 15:02:29 (permalink)
I'm a newbie; I've noticed several acronyms and don't have a clue as to what they are - so, now what is ABR?
water baby
Cooler Carrying Member
  • Total Posts : 763
  • Reward points: 2219
Re: Looking for trip / resort suggestions 2015/01/16 15:17:08 (permalink)
friecs
I'm a newbie; I've noticed several acronyms and don't have a clue as to what they are - so, now what is ABR?

ABR is Akumal Beach Resort-newly renovated and renamed to Akumal Bay Beach & Wellness Resort. Quite the mouthful, I see people (including myself) calling it ABR.
Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5