Looking for some advice on staying in Akumal or Tulum

Author
Bulldog_01
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points: 10
2014/10/05 15:44:25 (permalink)

Looking for some advice on staying in Akumal or Tulum

Hello,

We are seeking some advice on the pros and cos of a couple resorts we are looking at.

There are two couples traveling for the first time to the area and we have it narrowed down to either a Villa managed by Hotel Akumal Caribe in Akumal or Piedra Escondida in Tulum.

We are fairly new to traveling in these areas, of concern, safety, ease of traveling around the area (we will not have a car) as well as whats within walking distance of both places.

Any advice anyone can provide on either would be much appreciated.
katzgar
One Strike
  • Total Posts : 361
  • Reward points: 1414
Re: Looking for some advice on staying in Akumal or Tulum 2014/10/05 16:23:58 (permalink)
-1 (1)
ADO buses and taxis get you around fine.  not sure where the concern about safety comes from, there needn't be a concern at all. You will find restaurants up and down the beach at Tulum.  Have someone show you how to look both over on gmaps streetview.
post edited by katzgar - 2014/10/05 16:28:11

Katzgar
carolslc
LocoGringo Customer
  • Total Posts : 323
  • Reward points: 2094
Re: Looking for some advice on staying in Akumal or Tulum 2014/10/05 16:54:46 (permalink)
I've stayed on both Akumal Bay and on the beach in Tulum. Akumal has great off-beach snorkeling and calmer water. I think there are more restaurants and more evening activities too. Tulum is gorgeous but there are waves - so you'll see some boogie boarding, wading, kite-surfing, etc- not snorkeling. There are restaurants and bars spread along the beach during the day, but we found it pretty dead at night on the beach - at least during the week when we were there. I haven't stayed in Piedro Escondido, but the place we stayed was so eco-friendly that they don't spray for insects. We got eaten up while we slept and had bugs in everything. Too bad because it was gorgeous. We were told by mgmt that's just the way it is in Tulum and our expectations were too high. Perhaps. But we've stayed in quite a few places in the Riviera Maya and Tulum was the only place we've had this problem. We really enjoyed both, but I prefer staying in Akumal. I recommend doing a day trip to Tulum though. And I feel safe in both places.

Bulldog_01
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points: 10
Re: Looking for some advice on staying in Akumal or Tulum 2014/10/05 18:29:39 (permalink)
Thank you both for the advice...

I'm not personally concerned about saftey, but the couple e are traveling with had  bad experience with being toured around a town for hours by the police that left a lasting impression..lol

As for the bugs, yep...thats one of the concerns I do have. I have a vision of wanting to sit at night on a beach bar/restraunt and listen to someone strumming a tune.
TeriA
LocoGringo Customer
  • Total Posts : 1622
  • Reward points: 1977
Re: Looking for some advice on staying in Akumal or Tulum 2014/10/05 19:06:52 (permalink)
My vote would be for Akumal.  Hotel Akumal Caribe is such a nice place.  Very clean.  Right on the beach.  Close to lots of restaurants, steps from shops and taxis. You can rent a golf cart just outside the hotel property. A condo that is managed by them is also a perfect choice.  You can't beat the location, and they take good care of you.  As far as safety, you can relax there.  We feel safer walking around Akumal then we ever do anywhere else.

Bugs aren't a huge problem, but, you are in the jungle, so, bringing mosquito repellant that is environmentally friendly would be a good idea.

" title=" ">

katzgar
One Strike
  • Total Posts : 361
  • Reward points: 1414
Re: Looking for some advice on staying in Akumal or Tulum 2014/10/05 19:12:50 (permalink)
-1 (1)
you can tell your friends that nearly 6 million americans go to mexico as tourists last year.  you may expect squitos so bring repellant.  Tulum is eco chic with limited electricity so a room right on the beach to catch any breeze is important.

Katzgar
shape shifter 47
Administrator
  • Total Posts : 10341
  • Reward points: 1852
Re: Looking for some advice on staying in Akumal or Tulum 2014/10/05 19:51:26 (permalink)
Hotel Akumal Carbe would be my choice....we stay in the bungalows and have for a few years now..beach right in front of you...Lol Ha, Turtle Bay, Pescadors, just to name a few restaurants you can go to...all very fine.....plus there are shops in Akumal that will have anything you have forgotten or need.....

gary "coolerman" & martha
Banking off of a northeast wind, sailing on a summer breeze
carolslc
LocoGringo Customer
  • Total Posts : 323
  • Reward points: 2094
Re: Looking for some advice on staying in Akumal or Tulum 2014/10/05 20:47:23 (permalink)
Yes, mosquitoes at dusk and/or away from the ocean breeze is pretty typical - I always bring repellent for sitting outside in the evening. The "eco chic" place we stayed in had no A/C or fan, no cross breeze in the room (great reminder katzgar), bed bugs (lots of bites where our bodies touched the mattress), and swarms of ants everywhere (we had no food in the room at all).

We've stayed at the Hotel Akumal Caribe twice and loved it.

TwirleyB
LocoGringo Customer
  • Total Posts : 13885
  • Reward points: 2101
Re: Looking for some advice on staying in Akumal or Tulum 2014/10/05 21:02:50 (permalink)
Done both many times.  My choice on the Tulum beach stretch is Cabanas Tulum.  #1.  It has A/C at night!.  For security reasons, I prefer to shut and lock Windows and doors everywhere.  Cabanas Tulum is the last place south to offer air conditioning at all, I believe.  Plus has electric but I don't know if it's all day or just at night.  #2.  It's next door to Ziggys beach club/ restaurant/bar.  Great food.  Breakfast too.  They have older motel room units and newer swanky places.  I've only stayed in the cheap motel rooms.  They also have a great lagoon like swim pool in the back.  Very private and kewl.  It's between the older part and Ziggys.  Behind the swanky rooms.  Only the swanky rooms are supposed to have access to the pool but I've been there many times with no one around.

A villa?  Must be on Half Moon bay or elsewhere in Akumal area.  Don't know of any villas directly on Akumal bay.  A villa, condo, bungalow or rooms at Hotel Akumal Caribe would be do able without a car and a good choice if you want to snorkel.  And close proximity to everything you need.

Both areas have great restaurants, easy access for transportation, and offer some entertainments of various kind.  Stay at one but plan a day trip to the other.   Or if you want, do both for a few days.  Done that a few times because I love both places.  But they offer different things...the rolling waves and amazingly long stretch of powder fine white sand and laid back eclectic vibe of Tulum or calm serene waters of Akumal but lots of people.

Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5