Booking air with Cheapoair - Would Only Do It Again If I Had To!

Author
sandinmypants
Cooler Carrying Member
  • Total Posts : 4531
  • Reward points: 1721
2014/08/29 15:44:01 (permalink)

Booking air with Cheapoair - Would Only Do It Again If I Had To!

Earlier today I received an email from Cheapoair that said our flights had been changed. We booked with them for our Thanksgiving trip back in May because we were able to save $200pp.....now I know why! So, the guy today said there was a flight change, and rattled off all four legs of our trip (2 down, 2 return). I told him those were the same flight times, he said the flights numbers had changed....whatever.

They're US Airways flights, but operated by American. So, I logged into American with our locator codes, to make sure the guy knew what he was talking about......and there was no "4h leg". We were stuck in Dallas on our return! Called Cheapo, who said call AA. Called AA, transferred to US Airways, then back to AA, then back to US Air....after an hour and a half, finally a very nice gal at US Airways was able to fix it. A very long morning, but glad it was taken care of before we left! I'll be checking our flights every week between now & Thanksgiving just to make sure it isn't hosed up again.......sheesh!

What scares me is we already booked Spring Break airfare through Cheapoair/US Airways/AA......

I'm sure that 99% of their bookings go off without a hitch, but this one really freaked me out!
post edited by sandinmypants - 2014/08/29 15:45:14
Beachey
Cooler Carrying Member
  • Total Posts : 4796
  • Reward points: 2316
Re: Booking air with Cheapoair - Would Only Do It Again If I Had To! 2014/08/30 19:22:45 (permalink)
Have read some real horror stories about Cheapo. Hope it all turns out okay for you guys.
Kinda unsettling when the outfit you book with tells you to deal witht any problems yourself instead of looking after it for you. They sold you the package, seems to me they should be looking after all the details including any problems that may crop up.

post edited by Beachey - 2014/08/30 19:26:19

You can't drink all day if you don't start early!!

Summerlove
Cooler Carrying Member
  • Total Posts : 164
  • Reward points: 1127
Re: Booking air with Cheapoair - Would Only Do It Again If I Had To! 2014/08/30 21:21:52 (permalink)
If you just booked the flight with them then in the future I would suggest combing the individual airlines sites regularly as an alternative! It's a lot of work but has paid off recently for us! The daily changes in prices are incredible! Acting fast is key. I missed out on a few great deals because of hesitation.

LIVE...LAUGH...LOVE and SNORKEL!!!!

kallileigh
LocoGringo Customer
  • Total Posts : 3164
  • Reward points: 1503
Re: Booking air with Cheapoair - Would Only Do It Again If I Had To! 2014/08/31 01:28:14 (permalink)
The US Air/AA merger has caused a ton of headaches for travelers. Your situation (transferred back and forth, both sides trying to pass on the responsibility) sounds a lot like the one that left my uncle from MN stranded here in PHX for 10 hours and the one that left my friend stuck at DFW for a few too many hours. If anyone has US Air on their travel itineraries my suggestion is to watch your reservation closely and call the moment something doesn't seem right.

We didn't know we were making memories. We just knew we were having fun.

Save
wyosunlvr
Cooler Carrying Member
  • Total Posts : 278
  • Reward points: 814
Re: Booking air with Cheapoair - Would Only Do It Again If I Had To! 2014/08/31 08:01:03 (permalink)
+1 (1)
I use those kind of sites for research, if I find a good fare I go directly to airline which usually has the same fare and book it there. Never again will I call an airline from MX to be told we didn't book your tickets you need to call the site you booked on, then call the site and sit on hold for over an hour....nope nope nope!

sandinmypants
Cooler Carrying Member
Re: Booking air with Cheapoair - Would Only Do It Again If I Had To! 2014/08/31 09:30:04 (permalink)
+2 (2)
The only reason I used them was because the difference in price was HUGE..... The cost already was so much more than we've ever paid to travel (hate having to go at the holidays), we paid over $800pp (x3, yikes!) when it's usually about $550pp to go about a month earlier in Oct., when we normally travel. But to book those flights directly on US Air/AA would have been an additional $100pp MORE. There was no way we could justify paying close to $1,000pp. I'd been watching flights for awhile and the price hadn't gone down, so I read a bit about Cheapo, they had some bad reviews and some people had good luck, figured we would give them a try.

Not sure how they can even be in business, with that kind of service. Can't the airlines choose who gets to sell their seats? Seems some airlines have said certain websites can't sell their tickets.... I'd give Cheapo the boot if I were US Air/AA!
Tomas
Ultimate Member
  • Total Posts : 8680
  • Reward points: 1991
Re: Booking air with Cheapoair - Would Only Do It Again If I Had To! 2014/09/02 08:34:39 (permalink)
SIMP, I check on our American Airlines every day until we leave because of their tendency to alter flights. If you wait for their change notification several weeks later you might lose the seats you want.

Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not after me.

"Turn up the heat,
chill the rose,
stretch out on the beach
and let those metatarsals play"
(Rev. J. Buffett)
sandinmypants
Cooler Carrying Member
Re: Booking air with Cheapoair - Would Only Do It Again If I Had To! 2014/09/02 16:00:17 (permalink)
Tomas
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not after me.

I thought it was just me..... :o)
carloo1
Cooler Carrying Member
  • Total Posts : 147
  • Reward points: 565
Re: Booking air with Cheapoair - Would Only Do It Again If I Had To! 2014/09/03 06:02:52 (permalink)
I had an issue like this with Expedia many years ago.  We were cruising and had to be at the port by a certain time.  They kept changing our flight times and the timeline was getting tighter and tighter.  I called Expedia and got no help and then called the airline who told me to call Expedia.  It all worked out, but caused way too much anxiety for us.  Never again.  Like others I use those sites for research and then book directly with the airline.  I have found that most of the time the difference in price is small.  Just lucky, I guess.

Looking forward to your tip report when you return home.
Have a wonderful trip!

Cindi

Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5