Rental Cars

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
el gran chico
Cooler Carrying Member
  • Total Posts : 792
  • Reward points: 2004
Re: Rental Cars 2014/10/07 14:25:59 (permalink)
0 (2)
^^^    Everyone should read Snorkelphile's post again if they still have any questions.   Well written and accurate!   A huge percentage of people have no idea how even their car insurance at home (or even their home owner's insurance) works until they find out the hard way.   Companies know this and play the fear card.

Bottom line - don't be under insured, but don't get scammed either.  

Last in Mexico Mar 12 to 19, 2019 [19th trip to MEX, 15x to RM (1998 to 2019), 9x to HMB (2006 to 2016)]
katzgar
One Strike
  • Total Posts : 361
  • Reward points: 1414
Re: Rental Cars 2014/10/08 06:55:49 (permalink)
0 (4)
 "HOWEVER, if the worst happens you will have to pay in full for those damages in cash or by CC and then get reimbursed sometime after you get home from your trip. "  This comment is were the rubber meets the road.  We were T-boned in Tulum a few years back by a local stop sign runner. The local came and met with a guy from the rental and gave him 10 grand USD cash in hand.  My suggestion is only have an accident with a Mexican that has an extra 10 grand laying around...or get the insurance.  Having high CC limits certainly is a good thing but not everyone has them. Risk assessment is an individual thing, everyone makes their own choice but keep in mind Mexican jails are just not fun.

Katzgar
DonEnrique
LocoGringo Customer
  • Total Posts : 13
  • Reward points: 327
Re: Rental Cars 2014/10/13 17:37:09 (permalink)
+1 (1)
We are on a rental now with America Car Rental. Last year, we had a poor experience with EasyWay. Wow, what a difference. America is run as a professional operation much more like US companies. They are very well organized. We also saw their very large fleet of mostly new cars so it appears they can back up what they say about getting you a fairly new car. We waited 10 minutes to check in as there were 6 other clients there. We received the 5% discount for LG, but they said they do not do AAA any more for the discount. We got a VW Vento with 15K miles on it just a shade over $32/day including all insurance and no deductible. Whole check out process was about 40 minutes. We took photos, and did all the things in terms of checking paperwork, etc. They give a little bit of a hard sell on the extra insurance for tires and windows, but that is not worth it in my opinion. If I was going to be in Cancun, I might consider it, but not for Akumal. We also got the timeshare rush but we just waved them off very nicely.  

Like the guy who said, 'I plan to live for ever, so far, so good.' 
TwirleyB
LocoGringo Customer
  • Total Posts : 13885
  • Reward points: 2044
Re: Rental Cars 2014/10/13 22:19:41 (permalink)
+1 (1)
I'm using Easyway again, as always.  I'll let you know my experience in 2 & 1/2 weeks.

powderglut
LocoGringo Customer
  • Total Posts : 236
  • Reward points: 1081
Re: Rental Cars 2014/10/13 23:05:21 (permalink)
+3 (3)
I noticed on Easyway that insurance rates went up to $25 from $18 on many models. A similar car at America is a  over a couple hundred dollars cheaper for 2+ WEEKS..
Definitely a roll of the dice using CC insurance. If you are unlucky and do get into an accident and.. you use your CC for coverage, you best have funds to cover the situation or you may be seriously detained. I have never really been close to any incidents, but I would rather have Mexican insurance than go thru the stress and major hassle if it happens. Below is from a website in Mahahual. I'm sure this is redundant to many of you. Just thought it was to the point. 

The most important part of driving in Mexico is to be properly insured by a Mexican Insurance Company. No matter what your American insurer, or your credit card company might tell you, you will still want Mexican insurance. When an accident occurs in Mexico, the fault is determined at the site by the police, and financial responsibility must be proven before the guilty party can leave. Your US orCC insurance might very well eventually cover the accident but until it is proven to the police, (and remember, you are the foreigner) you are not allowed to leave the site or police custody. Your US or CC insurance coverage card will not be sufficient. The reason the police will let you leave if you have full Mexican coverage, is that Mexican insurance comes with the assurance that an adjuster and attorney will actually come to the site if requested by the police, to act on your behalf. When a tourist shows the full coverage with their car rental agreement, the police are satisfied that the other vehicle is covered and you will not be detained. But if you do not have this coverage, you will be liable, under Mexican law, to cover repair, medical and disability of the other injured party, and you and your vehicle will remain in custody until that is done. Most rental car companies offer the necessary coverages, and depending on the rental company’s standard coverage, will add $15 to $50 a day to your rental costs. A small price to pay to assure your vacation isn’t ruined because you had to stay in a Mexico holding cell while your US or CC agent works things out for you.

post edited by powderglut - 2014/11/07 22:49:22
Vancouver Sundog
LocoGringo Customer
  • Total Posts : 7884
  • Reward points: 2534
Re: Rental Cars 2014/10/14 00:22:07 (permalink)
We rented from America next month

A triple PMASB2019  & AASB2019 (Part  I & II) -
Happening now

Alaskans
Cooler Carrying Member
  • Total Posts : 125
  • Reward points: 1558
Re: Rental Cars 2014/11/04 20:38:42 (permalink)
+1 (1)
Had Blueway quote for 3 weeks at $487. We also got a quote form Alamo for the three weeks with Liability insurance for $468.  It beats Easyway but as with many things in Mexico we have learned over the past 15 years is sticking to what you know usually works out best.  Ten years ago we rented from one of big three but then found Easyway.  Getting a car from big three and others on the airport per se, adds the airport concession fee of 10% plus using the big three are not like it is in US.  They still try to sell you whatever they can and you usually have to listen to a couple of sales pitches to attend a sales meeting to buy a time share while there on vacation.  So for now we are sticking with Easyway since we have known them and how they work.  One thing about Easyway and others that blows us away is they always offer you a water, beer, or shot of tequila while you wait to check in.  Imagine that happening in LA or NY.  We usually take the beer but don't open it so we have a cold one when we get to the condo. In the end go with what makes you comfortable. 
carolslc
LocoGringo Customer
  • Total Posts : 323
  • Reward points: 1931
Re: Rental Cars 2014/11/05 12:02:07 (permalink)
When did you last rent from Easyway? When we did in 2012, we stood in their little waiting area for an hour with no drinks offered - not even water - and no place to sit. And ended up with car literally falling apart. It was much better with them in 2010. Maybe ours was a fluke experience.

ThreeNow
Starting Member
  • Total Posts : 24
  • Reward points: 733
Re: Rental Cars 2014/11/06 08:16:26 (permalink)
Is American / Caribbean the same as Tulum car rental? I believe it is.

Anyone try U-Save? They are newer but the prices are great!
rossd
Cooler Carrying Member
  • Total Posts : 64
  • Reward points: 1944
Re: Rental Cars 2014/11/06 10:35:13 (permalink)
we are using American next week after using Easy way last year. I paid for my car last year with my credit card and shortly afterwards found that someone had charged up  $10,000 of plane tickets to my account.  Not a very nice surprise..ha ha  Mastercard quickly took care of the charges.
Alaskans
Cooler Carrying Member
  • Total Posts : 125
  • Reward points: 1558
Re: Rental Cars 2014/11/10 22:32:39 (permalink)
carolslc
When did you last rent from Easyway? When we did in 2012, we stood in their little waiting area for an hour with no drinks offered - not even water - and no place to sit. And ended up with car literally falling apart. It was much better with them in 2010. Maybe ours was a fluke experience.

We have rented from Easyway for past 8 years.  I certainly understand people new to them being concerned about their location and some of the other concerns.  The office is small and if there are other customers you have to wait your turn.  They have always honored their quotes and like I said before they are a known quantity to us, and in Mexico that is a plus.  If they do not offer drinks just ask for one. 

We will be renting again from them next week so Ill report back how the experience was.  It is really hard to read between the lines in these forum posts since different folks have a different prospective of same thing. 
snorkelphile
Cooler Carrying Member
  • Total Posts : 217
  • Reward points: 1514
Re: Rental Cars 2014/11/11 08:27:50 (permalink)
NEWSFLASH:  Blueway has CLOSED all their mainland offices and are only doing business in Cozumel now. Don't know when exactly, must of been in the last month. Though we had a reservation, they did not even let us know, leaving us high and dry in CUN.
crunch
Ultimate Member
  • Total Posts : 29470
  • Reward points: 1971
Re: Rental Cars 2014/11/11 12:27:25 (permalink)
Thanks for that update snorkelphile.  That must have sucked.
Wanderlust4Mexico
LocoGringo Customer
  • Total Posts : 714
  • Reward points: 1345
Re: Rental Cars 2014/11/24 20:39:17 (permalink)
carolslc

Not a fluke. This was our experience as well. We were loyal Easyway customers for many years and the past two times we had very bad experiences. ........and no beer!!!!

Our last trip we tried american and had a very good experience. Cheaper than Easyway, more professional, and brand new car.

"Not all who wander are lost" - J. R. R. Tolkien
Vancouver Sundog
LocoGringo Customer
  • Total Posts : 7884
  • Reward points: 2534
Re: Rental Cars 2014/11/25 08:03:14 (permalink)
ThreeNow
Is American / Caribbean the same as Tulum car rental? I believe it is.

Anyone try U-Save? They are newer but the prices are great!

Yes and no

They are all owned by the one company but have a different bundle / price (a few more $) than America/Caribbean/Cancun Car rental.

Econo/EZ are also in this umbrella but are alacarte - not bundled. So people get surprized at the extra insurance with Econo. Happened when I rented from America 3 days ago. One fellow looked at me when they told him insurance was extra and was complaining about being duped and I told him nope.

A triple PMASB2019  & AASB2019 (Part  I & II) -
Happening now

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5