Welcome, New Akumal Visitors! READ THIS BEFORE ENTERING THE BAY!

Author
PC5
Cooler Carrying Member
  • Total Posts : 1170
  • Reward points: 1358
2014/07/17 18:59:24 (permalink)
3 (3)

Welcome, New Akumal Visitors! READ THIS BEFORE ENTERING THE BAY!

Welcome to all of you who are getting ready to experience beautiful Akumal Bay and Half Moon Bay for the first time.  For some of you, snorkeling will be a new experience.  Some of you will just want to cool off in the bays and some just want to wade around.  Even though you may be very experienced, you may not know the best ways to enjoy our beautiful bays without causing unintentional harm to the coral and sea life.

Of course, you know the obvious about not touching turtles, but did you know you should not feed them or the fish?  It's like those people who feed bears when they are on a camping trip.  They think it is fun and then they go home after their vacation.  The bears, however, are no longer wild and become a huge nuisance.  Same thing with sea life.  Have you ever wondered why some fish are following you and nipping at your legs?

Have you walked through the sea grass on the sandy bottom?  I've seen people dragging their feet through the area and causing lots of damage.  If only they knew how important the sea grass is for green turtles.  Those folks who are feeding the turtles bread and smooshing their way through the sea grass don't have a clue that green turtles eat the sea grass.  

Those little piles of bleached white coral rubble that some of those waders stand on or kick aside?  They are wonderful little ecosystems that are the home of some precious tiny fish and critters.  I often see tiny baby queen angel fish darting in and out of these nurseries so near the shore.

If any of this interests you, I highly recommend reading this site http://www.reefresilience.org/coral-reefs/stressors/local-stressors/coral-reefs-tourism-and-recreational-impacts/ .  I like to send it to our guests before they arrive for their stay.  It is a real eye-opener for anyone who reads it and the pictures of people damaging the coral are appalling.  

Thank you so much for reading this and becoming more educated about enjoying the bay without damaging it.  Have a wonderful visit and please share your knowledge.
post edited by PC5 - 2014/07/19 13:47:02

Annie
Playa Caribe #5

Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.Dr. SeussThe Lorax
US author & illustrator (1904 - 1991)
nipper
Ultimate Member
  • Total Posts : 13725
  • Reward points: 1859
Re: Welcome, New Akumal Visitors! READ THIS BEFORE ENTERING THE BAY! 2014/07/17 20:48:58 (permalink)
Well said/written.

AASB 2018 created good memories. Getting ready for 2019!!
crunch
Ultimate Member
  • Total Posts : 29470
  • Reward points: 1971
Re: Welcome, New Akumal Visitors! READ THIS BEFORE ENTERING THE BAY! 2014/07/18 06:46:33 (permalink)
+1 (1)
2 thumbs up.

You should ask LocoGringo to include that with all condo reservation confirmations.................
nipper
Ultimate Member
  • Total Posts : 13725
  • Reward points: 1859
Re: Welcome, New Akumal Visitors! READ THIS BEFORE ENTERING THE BAY! 2014/07/18 08:14:08 (permalink)
crunch
You should ask LocoGringo to include that with all condo reservation confirmations.................

Good idea crunch!

AASB 2018 created good memories. Getting ready for 2019!!
TeriA
LocoGringo Customer
  • Total Posts : 1622
  • Reward points: 1977
Re: Welcome, New Akumal Visitors! READ THIS BEFORE ENTERING THE BAY! 2014/07/19 08:34:19 (permalink)
Should also be included as an insert in the hotel rooms. 

" title=" ">

Pablito
LocoGringo Customer
  • Total Posts : 318
  • Reward points: 435
Re: Welcome, New Akumal Visitors! READ THIS BEFORE ENTERING THE BAY! 2014/07/19 12:17:39 (permalink)
I have suggested all of the above but no one seems to listen and nothing has changed. It should be part of every rental agreement and should be in every room.  CEA should fight to make this mandatory in the Akumal / HMB area. Actually the government should make it mandatory for the entire coast.  CEA has the ability to get this done so what are they waiting for? Part of their job is educating the locals, maybe it should also include property owners and tourists. I applaud those property owners that do their part voluntarily.

Bax Ka Walik

Xelly
LocoGringo Customer
  • Total Posts : 13244
  • Reward points: 1954
Re: Welcome, New Akumal Visitors! READ THIS BEFORE ENTERING THE BAY! 2014/07/19 16:40:42 (permalink)
This is excellent information, but it should also include contact information for reporting abusers, as I have confronted abusers myself, but my words seemed to upset them and they wouldn't listen, besides so many different nationalities visit annually, perhaps the meaning is lost in translation. YAL Ku. Another good place to post this information if it isn't already.

To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift.
Steve Prefontaine

Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5