Did You Know?? (some trivia for you...)

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 11
Author
movie fan
Ultimate Member
  • Total Posts : 9075
Re: Did You Know?? (some trivia for you...) 2014/10/15 15:13:49 (permalink)

DID YOU KNOW...

Paul McCartney’s “Scrambled Eggs,” which Evolved Into One of the Most Recorded Songs of All Time

“I reckon ‘Yesterday’ is probably my best song. I like it not only because it was a big success, but because it was one of the most instinctive songs I’ve ever written. I was so proud of it. I felt it was an original tune- the most complete thing I’ve ever written. It’s very catchy without being sickly”- Paul McCartney.
“Yesterday”, written entirely (or almost entirely– read on) by Paul McCartney, is either the most, or second most, recorded song of all-time. (Guinness World Records claimed it was the most, but this has been contested with others claiming George Gershwin’s 1935 “Summertime” is the true owner of that mantle.) Whatever the case, to date, at least 4,000 different versions of the classic “Beatles” tune have been recorded by artists as diverse as Frank Sinatra, Elvis Presley, Liberace, Tammy Wynette, Daffy Duck (!), The Mamas and the Papas, Marvin Gaye, Ray Charles and Placido Domingo.
In the mid-sixties, long before “Yesterday” was known to the general public, singer Billy J. Kramer said he was looking for a new song to record and Paul played him “Yesterday.” Poor Billy turned it down because he said it wasn’t right for him. Chris Farlowe also turned down the number, telling Paul, “It’s not for me. It’s too soft. I need a good rocker, a shuffle or something.”
So how did Paul come up with it? “It was the only song I ever dreamed,” said McCartney. Yep, the tune for “Yesterday” came to Paul McCartney in a dream. Paul woke up one morning, late in 1963 in the attic bedroom of Jane Asher’s house (Jane was his then-girlfriend) with a complete melody in his head and set some nonsense lyrics to it.
The original title was actually “Scrambled Eggs.” Paul’s original lyrics were, “Scrambled eggs, Oh you’ve got such lovely legs, Scrambled eggs. Oh, my baby, how I love your legs.”
As for the tune, Paul was initially unsure whether he had actually thought it up himself or if he had unintentionally stolen it from another composer. He played the tune to the other Beatles and recalled, “It was like handing in something you’d found at the police station and waiting to see if anyone claimed it.”
Still unsure, Paul played the melody to several other musicians and composers, but each one assured him they didn’t recognize it and he hadn’t unintentionally stolen it from another source.
After its ultimate release and widespread popularity with no one claiming the tune, in every McCartney interview since 1980, Paul has claimed complete 100% authorship and ownership of the song.
But, as with so many “facts” in the history of the Beatles, this now-gospel is disputed. According to John C. Winn, author of the excellent Beatles book “That Magic Feeling: The Beatles Recorded Legacy,” when Paul first played the song to his fellow Beatles, it was John who suggested the three-syllable title “Yesterday.” In a pre-1980 interview, John also stated: “The song was around for months and months before we completed it.” (Note the “we”.) Lennon continued, in the same interview: “Paul wrote nearly all of it. We just couldn’t find the right title.”
In an interview in March of 1967, Paul also stated John came up with the title when asked by Brian Matthew about the backstory of “Yesterday.” John stated, “Ah well, this is John saying I don’t know anything about that one. I’ll hand you over to Paul.”  Paul then stated, “This is Paul, taking up the story in a holiday villa in Corsica. Strumming away on a medieval guitar, I thought [sings] ‘Scrambled Egg.’ But I never could finish it, and eventually I took it back in. With the ancient wisdom of the east, John came out with [sings] ‘Yesterday’.”
This is in direct contradiction to a May of 1965 interview in which Paul stated, “I remember mulling over the tune ‘Yesterday’, and suddenly getting these little one-word openings to the verse. I started to develop the idea … da-da da, yes-ter-day, sud-den-ly, fun-il-ly, mer-il-ly and Yes-ter-day, that’s good. All my troubles seemed so far away. It’s easy to rhyme those a’s: say, nay, today, away, play, stay, there’s a lot of rhymes and those fall in quite easily, so I gradually pieced it together from that journey. Sud-den-ly, and ‘b’ again, another easy rhyme: e, me, tree, flea, we, and I had the basis of it.”
By 1980, John had also changed his tune, saying in his Playboy interview that “Yesterday” was entirely Paul’s and that he had nothing whatsoever to do with it. “I never wished I’d written it and I don’t believe in Yesterday.”
Whether or not “Yesterday” is indeed 100% Paul’s song or whether John helped in any way with it joins the scores of other “Mysteries of the Beatles” that will undoubtedly remain a bit baffling and will be “unsolved completely” for the ages. But if we’re not nitpicking, it seems clear it was a “Paul work,” with a possible extremely minor contribution from John.
In the end, it took almost two full years for “Yesterday” to be recorded after the original “Scrambled Eggs” version. According to Beatles producer George Martin, Paul first played the song for him in Paris in January of 1964 and told him he thought the title “Yesterday” might be “too corny,” but Martin assured him it was not.
It was finally recorded officially in June of 1965. At first, they tried different ideas, including with John playing the organ, but eventually everyone decided it should be a Paul solo. Thus, “Yesterday” became the first-ever “Beatle” song recorded with only one Beatle and one Beatle alone.
The other “evolutionary” factor in the recording was the bringing in of a string quartet to back up Paul on the song. This was quite a huge breakthrough at the time for a mere “pop record.” These two factors were not without minor repercussions- jealousy from the other Beatles. (“Yesterday” was to be an early indicator of the chinks in the armor of early Beatle unity.)
“Yesterday” was released on the Beatles “Help!” album in 1965. The song wasn’t released as a single in Britain until after the band had officially split up (the “Yesterday as a single” idea was vetoed by John, George and Ringo.)
George Martin knew it was a “Paul song” and thought it should be released as such. But Beatles’ manager Brian Epstein quickly put the kibosh on this idea: “No. It is the Beatles.” According to Martin: “He did not want to divide his holy quartet. Though it wasn’t the Beatles at all, it had to remain so, as part of their recordings. I don’t think it irritated Paul at the time because he considered himself a Beatle above all other things.”
True, John did reap one-half of the composing royalties from “Yesterday” although it was “Paul’s baby,” but very shortly thereafter, Paul would reap the same one-half from songs completely written by John (“Strawberry Fields Forever,” “Come Together,” “I Am The Walrus,” “Revolution,” and many others.)
When the Beatles began touring in June of 1965, Paul initially didn’t play “Yesterday” because he thought it might upset John. This changed when the Beatles appeared on “Blackpool Night Out” in August of 1965. Apparently Paul was right and John didn’t like this “solo spot” idea and made sarcastic remarks all through Paul’s rehearsals of the song. (As an interesting sidebar, at the “Blackpool Night Out” performance, Paul reportedly dedicated the song to his ex-girlfriend, Iris Caldwell. Other sources claim Iris had once called Paul “unemotional” and he called Iris up and played “Yesterday” to her over the phone to prove otherwise.)
On August 14, 1965, Paul performed the song on “The Ed Sullivan Show”- when he finished the number, John Cuttingly said, “Thank you Paul, that was just like him.” George was later to complain, “Blimey! He’s always talking about that song. You’d think he was Beethoven or somebody.”
Despite the other Beatles’s derision, Paul was to perform the song solo at many of their live concerts during their 1965-66 tours. Of course, the Beatles all sang a drunk-like, sarcastic version of the song on their 1965 Christmas record. Even the great Bob Dylan joined the anti- “Yesterday” chorus, saying, “If you go to the library of congress you can find a lot better songs than that… there are millions of songs like ‘Michelle’ and ‘Yesterday’ written in tin pan alley.” (Ironically, Dylan was to record his own version of the song four years later. It was never released.)
Despite the puerile jealousies of his friends and colleagues, “Yesterday” remains a classic, easily the best-known and most beloved of Paul McCartney’s legions of compositions- his “signature song,” which has been heaped with numerous accolades.  For instance, in 1997, “Yesterday” was inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame. It was also voted the best song of the 20th century in a BBC 2 poll of music experts and listeners. MTV and Rolling Stone Magazine also named it the #1 pop song of all-time. Broadcast Music Incorporated (BMI) asserts that “Yesterday” was performed over 7 million times in the 20th century alone.
Not bad for a song whose tune came to the composer in a dream and that started out with the lyrics, “Scrambled eggs, Oh you’ve got such lovely legs, Scrambled eggs. Oh, my baby, how I love your legs.”

The only easy day was Yesterday
movie fan
Ultimate Member
Re: Did You Know?? (some trivia for you...) 2014/10/16 16:30:35 (permalink)
DID YOU KNOW....

Babe Ruth's famous World Series "called shot", occurred when he ambled up to bat, pointed to a spot in the right field stands, and smashed a home run to that exact spot.

ulle trautvag
Cooler Carrying Member
  • Total Posts : 1107
Re: Did You Know?? (some trivia for you...) 2014/10/18 17:01:50 (permalink)
movie fan
Did you know....

Elvis Presley made the first of three appearances on the Ed Sullivan Toast Of The Town TV show.

Later episodes, of which, nostalgically, sometimes turn up on assorted specialty channels these days.

Ironically, Ed wasn't hosting that first night that Elvis was on.

Actor Charles Laughton was filling in and Elvis and Laughton never actually met.

Elvis's two songs were broadcast from Hollywood, while Laughton was at the CBS studios in New York.

The ratings for Elvis' appearance of the Sullivan show were astronomical --- 83% of the viewing audience, or about 54 million people watched.

The ratings record stops until 1964 when the Beatles appeared on Sullivan's show.

Only showed him from the waist up.
movie fan
Ultimate Member
Re: Did You Know?? (some trivia for you...) 2014/10/19 14:42:51 (permalink)
DID YOU KNOW...

A helicopter pilot named Didier Delsalle of France landed his helicopter on the summit of Mount Everest in 2005, proclaiming to be the first to do so.

His flying machine made contact with the peak for about two minutes.

movie fan
Ultimate Member
Re: Did You Know?? (some trivia for you...) 2014/10/19 14:55:01 (permalink)

Pumpkin Carvings - Full House

The house pictured above is located at Beech Street, Kenova, West Virginia, USA, and over 3,000 pumpkin carvings were placed in front of this house.  Gabriel Harding took this picture.  Interestingly, if you look closely at the front row you can make out that some pumpkins have Christian symbols carved onto them. 
An absolutely amazing feat say Will and Guy.

Most Lit Pumpkins In One Place

However, as with most things, Will and Guy can reveal larger numbers of pumpkins have been gathered together in one place. For years, the inhabitants of Keene, New Hampshire, USA, held and routinely set records.
In 2006, their record stood at 28,952 lit pumpkins. Yes, the pumpkins must all be lit at the same time in the same place. 
But on October 26th , 2007, Boston, Massachusetts shattered this record with 30,128 lit pumpkins. Rumour has it, they are still "glowing" over this feat. The record was part of a fundraiser for Camp Sunshine, raising over $250,000 USD.

movie fan
Ultimate Member
Re: Did You Know?? (some trivia for you...) 2014/10/21 14:01:33 (permalink)
DID YOU KNOW...

The first blender was used to make milkshakes in 1922.

It was invented by Stephen Poplawski, who had the idea of putting a spinning blade at the bottom of a container that could automatically mix up ingredients.

Now, many of us use it to make margaritas. 

THANK YOU STEPHEN!! 

movie fan
Ultimate Member
Re: Did You Know?? (some trivia for you...) 2014/10/23 13:41:57 (permalink)
DID YOU KNOW...

English author, Agatha Christie (1890 - 1976) wrote more than 70 detective novels, as well as short story collections, plays, and poems.

Her work has been translated in 100 different languages.

Her books continue to be popular today. 

movie fan
Ultimate Member
Re: Did You Know?? (some trivia for you...) 2014/10/30 01:58:35 (permalink)
-1 (1)
DID YOU KNOW....

Few Westerners may know that the official name of Japan is Nippon.

This country is a land of islands, having four large ones and over 3900 smaller ones.

movie fan
Ultimate Member
Re: Did You Know?? (some trivia for you...) 2014/10/31 13:33:45 (permalink)
-1 (1)
DID YOU KNOW...

A pair of men's swimming trunks, special because they were worn by actor Daniel Craig when he portrayed James Bond in the movie, "Skyfall", sold for $71,259 US at a charity auction in London.

ulle trautvag
Cooler Carrying Member
Re: Did You Know?? (some trivia for you...) 2014/10/31 15:53:47 (permalink)
movie fan
DID YOU KNOW...

A pair of men's swimming trunks, special because they were worn by actor Daniel Craig when he portrayed James Bond in the movie, "Skyfall", sold for $71,259 US at a charity auction in London.

I would have loved to have bought him.  Gorgeous, sexy man -- almost as good as Sean Connery (my all-time Bond favorite -- handsome and dangerous-looking, a perfect Bond combination.) 
movie fan
Ultimate Member
Re: Did You Know?? (some trivia for you...) 2014/11/02 15:42:41 (permalink)
-1 (1)
DID YOU KNOW....

Wisdom teeth are known as vestigial third molars.

Our human ancestors, who had larger jaws, used them to grind down the plants they ate.

Today, humans have smaller jaws, but we still grow wisdom teeth, which are no longer needed.

movie fan
Ultimate Member
Re: Did You Know?? (some trivia for you...) 2014/11/04 16:13:28 (permalink)
DID YOU KNOW...

Most homeowners plant a hedge to provide a little bit of privacy and they're happy when their living fence grows to be a few feet tall.

But, if a hedge was planted in the early 1700s, it's totally a different story.

Such is the case with a hedge in Cotswolds in England.

Located on the Bathurst Estate, this yew hedge is over 300 years old and is 40 feet high, 33 feet wide, and it extends for 450 feet in a semi-circular formation.

It takes two men 80 hours to trim the gigantic hedge using a cherry-picker and electric trimmers.

The clippings (and there are many!) are used in the production of a cancer-fighting drug.

movie fan
Ultimate Member
Re: Did You Know?? (some trivia for you...) 2014/11/15 17:52:52 (permalink)
DID YOU KNOW...

American actor Brad Pitt of Hollywood fame was first recognized for his role as a hitchhiker in the 1991 movie, "Thelma & Louise."

However, prior to that movie, he starred in several other movies and television shows including the 1987 movie "No Way Out".

movie fan
Ultimate Member
Re: Did You Know?? (some trivia for you...) 2014/11/20 13:06:49 (permalink)
DID YOU KNOW...

THE OKAPI

The Okapi is an elusive herbivore that is found in a small pocket of tropical mountain forest in central Africa.

Despite it’s Deer-like appearance the Okapi is actually one of the last remaining ancestors of the Giraffe, which is the tallest animal on Earth.

Along with having a relatively long neck compared to it’s body size, the most striking feature of Okapi is the horizontal stripes that are particularly visible on their behinds and give this animal an almost Zebra-like appearance. 

Okapi is very shy and secretive, so much so in fact that they were not recognized as a distinct species by western science until the earth 20th century.

Although they are seldom seen by people, the Okapi is not an endangered species as they are thought to be fairly common in their remote habitats.

Like it’s distant and much larger ancestor, Okapi has a long neck which not only helps it to reach leaves that are higher up, but also provides Okapi with a tool to both defend itself and it’s territory.

Okapi has a red-brown coloured coat of fur with horizontal, white striped markings that are found on their hind quarters and at the tops of their legs, and provide the Okapi with excellent camouflage in the dense jungle.

They grow to be about 5' in height.

movie fan
Ultimate Member
Re: Did You Know?? (some trivia for you...) 2014/11/21 12:17:33 (permalink)
DID YOU KNOW...

A ZEBROID is an animal that has a zebra for a father and a donkey, or other equine, for a mother.

However, if a zebra mare is the mother and a donkey  stallion is the father, the offspring is known as a DONKRA.

ulle trautvag
Cooler Carrying Member
Re: Did You Know?? (some trivia for you...) 2014/11/21 13:29:19 (permalink)
OKAPI:  So I have a bungee cord computer chair and need to place a pillow on it.  Otherwise I get what I call is Okapi Ass, very embarrassing when wearing a bathing suit.   It takes a while for the streaks to disappear.
movie fan
Ultimate Member
Re: Did You Know?? (some trivia for you...) 2014/12/31 14:05:04 (permalink)
Did you know...

In the sport of Pigeon Racing, specially bred pigeons, called the Racing Homer, are released.

The time it takes for them to fly home over a specified distance is measured.

Race distances are usually between 100 and 1000 kilometres (60 and 620 miles).

movie fan
Ultimate Member
Re: Did You Know?? (some trivia for you...) 2015/01/15 00:35:52 (permalink)
DID YOU KNOW.....

The SLINKY is a toy that has fascinated children for decades.

Based on a metal coil or spring that moves on its own (especially down a flight of stairs), The SLINKY was invented by an American named Richard James in 1943

movie fan
Ultimate Member
Re: Did You Know?? (some trivia for you...) 2015/01/24 02:18:19 (permalink)
DID YOU KNOW....

Famous American actor Robert De Niro got his acting start when he was still in grade school in New York City.

His school put on a production of "The Wizard of Oz" and he played the role of the cowardly lion.

movie fan
Ultimate Member
Re: Did You Know?? (some trivia for you...) 2015/01/26 01:34:39 (permalink)
DID YOU KNOW...

There are six types of tigers:
  • Bengal
  • Sumatran 
  • Siberian
  • South China
  • Malaysian
  • Indochinese

These ferocious felines are only found in Asia.

Most people are aware of Bengal and Siberian tigers because they are the ones most commonly found in zoos.

movie fan
Ultimate Member
Re: Did You Know?? (some trivia for you...) 2015/01/27 02:28:38 (permalink)
DID YOU KNOW...

Those who love listening to Classical guitar music probably are familiar with the music of Andres Segovia.

This classical guitar virtuoso was born in Spain and was known around the world for his musical skill.

He died in 1987 at the age of 94.

movie fan
Ultimate Member
Re: Did You Know?? (some trivia for you...) 2015/02/04 01:02:26 (permalink)
DID YOU KNOW...

Time, The American news magazine that is published weekly, has a circulation of 3.3 million readers.

Its founders were Briton Hadden and Henry Luce, who published the first edition in New York City in 1923.

movie fan
Ultimate Member
Re: Did You Know?? (some trivia for you...) 2015/02/09 15:20:25 (permalink)
+1 (1)
DID YOU KNOW....

Vultures: One of the environment’s most necessary — but often overlooked — creatures. 

These intelligent birds are uniquely equipped to keep the environment clean and help prevent the spread of disease.

A world without vultures? 

A world without vultures would be a foul-smelling place filled with disease and rotting carcasses — let’s hear it for these unsung environmental heroes!

-Vultures do not have a good sense of smell – they rely exclusively on incredible eyesight to locate food – a soaring vulture can spot a 3-foot animal carcass from 4 miles away.

- The Rueppell’s griffon vulture is the world’s highest flying bird. In 1973, one collided with an airplane off the Ivory Coast; at the time, the plane was flying at 37,000 feet.

-Vultures can eat up to 20 percent of their own body weight in one sitting.

-Vultures are equipped with a digestive system that contains special acids that will dissolve anthrax, botulism, and cholera bacteria.

-Vultures do not go after healthy prey, but will attack wounded and dying animals.

- Vultures have the unusual habit of urohydrosis — defecating on their legs to cool them by evaporation.

-A group of vultures is called a venue, and when circling the air, a group of vultures is called a kettle.

-By consuming the carcasses of diseased animals, vultures prevent the spread of life-threatening diseases such as rabies and anthrax among animals and humans.

-Most vulture species mate for life.

-The vomit of a vulture, followed by the action of flying away, is the most common defensive tactic against an adversary. If the food is relatively undigested, the predator is rewarded with a free meal. If the food is mostly digested, the foul-smelling substance acts as a deterrent and will sting the eyes of a predator if it lands in their face.

-Most vultures are social and several species can often be seen feeding together on the same carcass. 

ulle trautvag
Cooler Carrying Member
Re: Did You Know?? (some trivia for you...) 2015/02/09 18:02:52 (permalink)
WOW!  What a fine kettle of non-fish; as they circle they stir the pot, or kettle.  Loved the info -- a flight at 37,000 feet!
post edited by ulle trautvag - 2015/02/09 18:15:22
ulle trautvag
Cooler Carrying Member
Re: Did You Know?? (some trivia for you...) 2015/02/09 22:36:28 (permalink)
movie fan
DID YOU KNOW...

Those who love listening to Classical guitar music probably are familiar with the music of Andres Segovia.

This classical guitar virtuoso was born in Spain and was known around the world for his musical skill.

He died in 1987 at the age of 94.

Saw him perform at Carnegie Hall when I was 27.  He wore a magnificent diamond ring which shot fire when he played; oh, so beautiful.
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 11
Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5