Helpful ReplyHot!Morning Breakfast Club

Page: << < ..846847848849850.. > >> Showing page 850 of 859
Author
janjon
Ultimate Member
  • Total Posts : 7674
Re: Morning Breakfast Club 2018/11/03 07:50:12 (permalink)
+1 (1)
Hey.. I forgot to ask. 
Badger or Uphill... or anyone else that has 2 cents to put in... 
We have a leak around our chimney.  We don't use the fireplace because it needs a new liner, so it's for show and maybe later a ventless gas logs.  So, we've had 2 roofing companies come out to give us an estimate for a new roof.  They do not touch chimneys, but did say it needs something done with it.  Our neighbor is a masoner and said he could fix it for $3000... first of all, that seems expensive, secondly, if I'm spending that amount of money, I'm going with a company that offers a warranty. 

My question is what are our options?  Mr. JJ has mentioned stucco, or completely removing the chimney.  We've also learned the color of our brick will be difficult to match as it is like a blonde brick.   The stuff the neighbor brought over is pretty... kind of looks like rock.  But again.  not spending $3000... With a new roof, that's over $10000. 

Would you just remove the chimney? Is that the best option?

Thanks
post edited by janjon - 2018/11/03 08:04:12

When my nights start with margaritas, they end with happiness!
uphillklimber
Ultimate Member
  • Total Posts : 6654
Re: Morning Breakfast Club 2018/11/03 08:42:16 (permalink)
+1 (1)
JJ, wow. Some people can be petty. I mean, how many years has Mr JJ worked for him and made him how much money??? Again, reinforcing the 2 week notice and no more. That job coming up in spring that his employer was talking about? I'd get a little devious (maybe) at this point. Oh, you'd like to hire me, per diem, for that job in spring? Well.... you know, I think I may be able to do that for you. And just string him along without actually committing. Then have something come up about 3 days before any work actually happens. He's already burnt that bridge. Actually, I don't think I could do that, but I'd want to!!!!

Bernie, that is so nice to be living near the beach. I live in the mountains and for the month of November, I don't hike them, too much big buck fever. The worst you have to look out for is the occasional fishing line from a pole set in the sand. 

To ALL in Mexico, have a nice cold one, enjoy the sound of the waves, and send us pictures!!!!

MB, what a nice looking yard!!!

Up here in Maine, hunting season, and everyone and everything is saying to wear orange outside for the month of November, you'd think I could walk into a store and buy an orange sweatshirt? Nope, nowhere in town. I could order one from LL Bean for $70.00. But for a sweat shirt that I'll only wear one month a year while I work in my yard and put holes in it? I was thinking a $20 sweatshirt from Walmart or Tractor Supply. (FYI, I still wouldn't walk in the woods except on Sunday, where there is no hunting). Up here in Maine, good luck with anything not from an outfitter($$$).  Last year, a woman was killed in her own yard pulling some flowers or something. I am talking about the maintained part of her yard, not the back 40 acres of woods, her yard, by a hunter. Sigh.... the cost of living in such a nice area....

Be well all, gonna tackle a few other things.

Lovin life,
Bob

ChrisandCindy
Ultimate Member
  • Total Posts : 9839
Re: Morning Breakfast Club 2018/11/03 08:44:25 (permalink)
0 (2)

Video
Pix
YouTube

A smile is the same in every language
uphillklimber
Ultimate Member
Re: Morning Breakfast Club 2018/11/03 09:02:07 (permalink)
JJ, how handy is hubby? I've learned that when we did a roof, I always included rehabbing the chimney. A leaky chimney can give a good roofer a bad name real fast.

Several suggestions:

Re mortar the top of the chimney, maintaining the slope so water runs off the top and down the side. You'll probably find the mortar on the edges has worn back a little bit or cracked. 

Caulk around the clay tile where the mortar contacts it with silicone caulking. You can use regular clear, though some like the high temp caulk. You do gain some extra temperature range, but I doubt you would need the extra up there. 

Remove any loose mortar in the brick joints and re-point them with mortar. A cheap 4 or 5 inch grinder with a crack chaser diamond blade works well for removing the old mortar. 

Make sure the lead flashing at the roof line is solidly into the bricks and laying under the shingles properly. A little tapping with a hammer to flatten the lead, particularly against the bricks will help keep wind driven rain out. Do not caulk the flashing as that flashing is intended to shuttle water out, and you may lock any in that may have found it's way in. 

Finally, I used to have a 5 gallon can of Thompson's water seal handy all the time. After a few days, to give the mortar a chance to dry and cure, I'd coat the entire chimney with it. You can use masonry sealer if you like, but Thompson's worked very well for me and was readily available. There is a proper way to do this. You seal from the bottom up, not the top down. Very important. The liquid you see in the can is basically the matrix to get all the water sealing particles to the surface. The particles get absorbed into the brick, and the liquid matrix becomes just the liquid. If you start from the top, everything gets wet, but not necessarily the water proofing particles. Going from the bottom up, you assure yourself that everything that got wet, gets all the waterproofing particles. 

Brick are porous, much like a sponge. They can absorb water during the rain, and when the rain stops and the wind and sun dry them out, all is well. Get a real heavy rain, and the brick can on absorb so much water and can get overwhelmed. If you have an old brick in your basement, that hasn't seem water in forever, put into a bucket of water and it'll bubble from all the air escaping it's pores as the water soaks in. 

I know I've mentioned a bunch of stuff to be done to the chimney. None of it is all that hard to do, just take it one at a time. It's not rocket science. It's something construction guys do without having to think twice about it. Typically, when we did a roof, i'd tackle the mortar first day. Then we'd do the roofing, working our way around the house, and after a couple days, the mortar was dried long enough that we could silicone caulk the clay liner. When we shingled around the chimney, we'd tap the lead back into place. A day after the silicone caulking was done, we'd paint the chimney with Thompson's clear sealer. We always tried to do this as part of the job so we didn't have to drive back a day later just to apply the Thompson's. And it eliminated call backs. Our customers also didn't need to hire a mason, as most minor repairs we could easily do ourselves. And maintain our reputation. 

Wow, that was long! Best wishes. 

Lovin life,
Bob

CallMeFrank
LocoGringo Customer
  • Total Posts : 6216
Re: Morning Breakfast Club 2018/11/03 09:41:14 (permalink)
+1 (1)
JJ--$3000 is a major rip in my mind.  I had one of my rentals that is 936 sq ft tuckpointed including chimney for 
$6K.  Call a mason, he'll fix it.  Keep it, make house look good.  Never heard of ventless gas logs.  Should not need the chimney if it is ventless I would not think
TwirleyB
LocoGringo Customer
  • Total Posts : 13332
Re: Morning Breakfast Club 2018/11/03 10:21:40 (permalink)
0 (2)
Buenos Dias All

It rained off and on most of yesterday afternoon and all night.
I stayed up late.  I had leg cramps twice during the night and had to get up and walk.  Then the security guard woke me at 5 because 1 of the car windows were down.  By then it was done raining but he was insistent that I go close it.  
I dozed for a bit longer but had to get up.  I have an appointment at 10:30 to look at a condo here.  I had made it a few days ago but I cancelled yesterday after being here a few more days.  It's busy now and it low season!  I had decided that PM was better for me.    The realtor called me back saying that the owner was insistent and was HIGHLY MOTIVATED.  SO I'm looking...   I might see how motivated she is.

This morning was NO WIND and not even a breeze.  Now it's dark and threatening something.

Katz, you might occasionally need a light jacket at night or like NOW.
CallMeFrank
LocoGringo Customer
  • Total Posts : 6216
Re: Morning Breakfast Club 2018/11/03 11:12:00 (permalink)
+1 (3)
Twirley--I enjoy the rants, pranks, gossip, etc.  keep it up!
uphillklimber
Ultimate Member
Re: Morning Breakfast Club 2018/11/03 11:49:07 (permalink)
Folks, it appears my g/f's widdle doggie is approaching her expiration date. Last exam a few months back, she had a class 4 heart murmur (out of 5). She is 14 years old, 8 or 9 lbs. Has not always looked good over the past few months, but has some days full of pi$$ and vinegar concerning the squirrels. 

Yesterday, I let her out to chase a squirrel, on a rope, and I reeled her back in, she just kinda laid over on the floor and breathed. Wouldn't do much more. Couldn't get her to stand up or anything. Hours later, we are walking the yard (dog and I) and there is a squirrel, I let out some leash and she barks and chases it for 4 feet or so. I continue on to the mailbox, and she is lagging. She is now laying on the driveway, so I carry her. In the house, she seems okay, if not extremely tired. 

Today, I try a new tactic. I took her to the door, holding her in my arms, and opened the door. She barks at the squirrel and sends him on his way. I love how a dog's chest seems to explode when they bark. But I notice, even with just this barking, her heart is pounding and racing. So I set her on her big ole bed and she just lays there, doing nothing more than breathing.

I think her days of squirreling are over, which I enjoy as much as she does. I also fear her expiration date is close....

Lovin life,
Bob

TwirleyB
LocoGringo Customer
Re: Morning Breakfast Club 2018/11/03 12:22:07 (permalink)
-1 (1)
BOB, I am so sorry.  It's very hard on you and them.  I think they know too.

Well I have to say that I pretty much liked everything about that condo.  Plenty of space and storage.  Fabulous pool and gardens.  Good beach area but pretty much Rocky water entrance.  Nice patio area and even a grass lawn although I don't think it's a PLUS.  On the north end of the bay where the snorkeling is good, although I don't do much of that.  I have some questions and the realtor is awaiting answers.  Unfortunately there are lots of steps in various areas and a distance from the parking.
PJamigo
Ultimate Member
  • Total Posts : 8276
Re: Morning Breakfast Club 2018/11/03 14:41:17 (permalink)
+1 (1)
From Twirly on FB:

Today is perfecto!

Jamie
LocoGringo Customer
  • Total Posts : 3688
Re: Morning Breakfast Club 2018/11/03 15:02:45 (permalink)
+1 (1)
PJ, thanks for posting the picture, place looks very nice.

Bernie, forgot to tell you how good your deck looks.

jj, you have a lovely house, sorry no advice on chimneys, way out of my area.

Enjoy your time on the beach SoSo and Twirley. Also Chris and Cindy (thanks for the picture of the ray).
Twirls, you planning on spending a lot more time in Mexico? I would be nervous about buying a place if I only went twice a year, was it being maintained properly, stuff like that.

Bob, so VERY sorry to hear about your GF's dog, hope her passing is merciful.

Not much going on here, paid rent and took trash out, had groceries delivered. Weather is still in the 80s, but expected to drop Monday. Did get my car washed and had my cheeseburger couple of days ago. Had to settle for McD's as there was a line to get into the drive-thru at Fantastic's (their Jr. CB is fabulous, nice and juicy - regular CB is way too big for me).
PJamigo
Ultimate Member
Re: Morning Breakfast Club 2018/11/03 16:40:40 (permalink)
0 (2)
From Twirls on FB

Sustenance for the big party tonight. Lime soup and TOP SHELF MARGARITAS.

Feeling pretty good but GEEZE MY WRINKLES!

nipper
Ultimate Member
  • Total Posts : 13680
Re: Morning Breakfast Club 2018/11/03 18:03:57 (permalink)

AASB 2018 created good memories. Tammi is already booking 2019! 
9KrazyCats
LocoGringo Customer
  • Total Posts : 1391
Re: Morning Breakfast Club 2018/11/03 19:01:17 (permalink)
+1 (1)
Still packing.  Our plane leaves LAX at 7:45am tomorrow.  

Badger - We are staying at La Joya this time.  Thought we'd get some pool time if the sargassum is bad.  Judging by Twirley's picture that PJ posted, looks like we may be neighbors. That pool looks familiar. 

Bernie - all is well.  We have 11 cats now. My son is doing well (remember he had leukemia twice) and it has been 1-1/2 yrs since his stem cell transplant.  He went back to work in March.  He's cat sitting while we are away.

Twirley - I am packing a light jacket and sweater just in case.  Thanks! You at La Joya?

PJ - thanks for posting Twirleys pictures.

Nipper - Awesome links to new webcams! 
PJamigo
Ultimate Member
Re: Morning Breakfast Club 2018/11/03 19:50:27 (permalink)
0 (2)
Twirls FB posting from LBV party.

Party is getting started.

Beachy and Lori

Soso and SunDog

ChrisandCindy
Ultimate Member
  • Total Posts : 9839
Re: Morning Breakfast Club 2018/11/03 20:09:01 (permalink)
+1 (3)
much better day for snorkeling calm and 25 foot visibility

Video
Pix
YouTube

A smile is the same in every language
PJamigo
Ultimate Member
Re: Morning Breakfast Club 2018/11/03 21:47:55 (permalink)
+1 (1)
More Twirls pic from party:

PJamigo
Ultimate Member
Re: Morning Breakfast Club 2018/11/03 21:50:54 (permalink)
+1 (1)
Twirls LBV party pics

TwirleyB
LocoGringo Customer
Re: Morning Breakfast Club 2018/11/04 00:19:42 (permalink)
0 (2)
Good morning LOL

I didn't think I'd make it past 9!

There's more pics but I don't think they uploaded...or I might have been up loaded!
Actually not.  I'm fine.  I never danced, therefore I never fell down.
I only had a couple of drinks, partly because I kept losing them. LOL.  Again, actually not, but I seriously only had a few and I didn't even sway!  
I did see, and try to get pics of everyone WE KNOW.  Which is a lot of people!  More pics coming if anyone is interested.  Donny and Cheryl to name the most likely to be recognized.

I'm thinking bedtime is nigh.  
TwirleyB
LocoGringo Customer
Re: Morning Breakfast Club 2018/11/04 00:22:01 (permalink)
+1 (1)
Krazy cats, Yep.  We're neighbors.  Unfortunately for you.

Badger
LocoGringo Customer
  • Total Posts : 8128
Re: Morning Breakfast Club 2018/11/04 05:01:01 (permalink)
-1 (1)
Good Morning Clubbers, it's Sunday.

PJ, thanks for posting the pix, lots of familiar faces.

Twirls, you need to gain some weight, you look even thinner then the last time I saw you.

Someone voted down Chris's pic of a ray? I wish those trolls would stick to Facebook.

KrazyCats, have a great time!

JJ, I sure wish I lived closer. Since you will never use it I would just tear down the old chimney to below the roof line, actually a pretty simple job and I'm sure I could talk Mr. JJ thru it if needed. I do lots of roofs and frequently remove chimneys and patch the hole for $100. I'll send you a PM.

Weather is definitely taking a turn for the worse up here, weather guessers are saying 100% chance of rain/snow mix and strong windstoday, then cooling off later this week with lows in the teens.
post edited by Badger - 2018/11/04 05:11:27

Wag more....bark less.
janjon
Ultimate Member
  • Total Posts : 7674
Re: Morning Breakfast Club 2018/11/04 05:30:56 (permalink)
+1 (1)
Good Morning time changers!

Badger..I wish you lived closer too!  Is it common to remove chimneys below the roof line?  How does that effect resale?  I guess it really wouldn't matter if we changed the fireplace to ventless gass logs.  When you take it down below the roofline, do you have to reinforce the roof?

Frank... i looked at the neighbors estimate last night.  That estiimate removes the roof below the roofline, then rebuilds it.  I guess that would be labor intensive.  
We go back and forth on removing the chimney.  I think we are going to call a chimney place to get an estimate and ideas.  If he decides to remove it, I will have him reach out to you Badger, if he needs help. 

Twirls looks like you are having fun... I hope you remembered SoSo's hat! and I agree with Badger, you need to start eating more. 
Jamie.. thank you!
Uphill.. Thanks for your long post!  I am not sure if I mentioned it, but Mr JJ says the bricks are starting to crumble. Also, both roofers that wrote estimates said they do not touch fireplaces.  We are going to call one more roofing company. 

Mr JJ and his sister has taken their Mom's car keys. She's been getting lost going to and from church, so we took MIL to church yesterday.  Which is not a big deal, but, we left at 2:00 and got home at 6:30, and all we did was pick her up, go to church and dropped her off.  

My nephew is getting married in 2 weeks.  He was waiting on his fiance to pick him up after work and decided to pass the time riding one of those scooters.  I don't know what happened, but he ended up with a twisted and broken fibula- had surgery yesterday morning with pins/plates and he will be non weight bearing for 12 weeks.  I told him his wedding photos are going to be all messed up now. (with a winky face, of course)

I have to run to my Mom's this morning, then I'll head back to watch the Chiefs.  Thinking about making a ham dinner today.

enjoy your Sunday funday Clubbers!

When my nights start with margaritas, they end with happiness!
uphillklimber
Ultimate Member
Re: Morning Breakfast Club 2018/11/04 06:12:10 (permalink)
JJ, I want to issue a caution about ventless gas logs. At the condos I took care of, all the ventless fireplaces were disconnected, or converted to vented. I know it seems like it shouldn't be an issue since people use gas cooking ranges and don't always turn of the exhaust hood (or even have an exhaust hood). We had one person try to clean her vented gas fireplace and didn't install the glass panel correctly when done. It kept setting off the CO 2 detector. 

New technology may make them burn better, or not, I simply do not know. All I can say is that we had to, by code, disconnect or replace the ventless gas fireplaces, and a leaking vented one caused the CO2 detector to go off repeatedly until we learned the source. To be fair, the ones we disconnected were original vintage at the condos. 

I do like Badgers idea of just doing away with the chimney, it is real easy, we've done that as well. And if the brick are crumbling....

Lovin life,
Bob

Beach Bernie
LocoGringo Customer
  • Total Posts : 2384
Re: Morning Breakfast Club 2018/11/04 07:13:42 (permalink)
+1 (1)
Howdy and good morning everyone.

Wow, I woke up at 6:30 and it was daylight ! Sun is shining bright and it will remain that way for most of the day. Current temp is 51F at 7:10 with a high of 71 degrees, although it will be quite windy.

Yesterday I stuck to my plan and didn't do anything other than a beach walk. Got out there before high tide so the wet sand made for an easier pace.  Being a weekend, there were more folks enjoying their beach time. There was a group of about 8 young gals all wearing long pants and jackets. I asked a few of them why they weren't enjoying the sun ? They replied "it's too cold". I was in shorts and a t-shirt so I asked where they were from ? Almost in unison : "Florida" ! Funny.  Got in a little longer walk : one hour & 30 minutes. Feeling it this morning though. Ha.

No big plans for the day. Was thinking about one last boat ride but the high winds would make it not that much fun. 

jj, nice color on your front yard trees. Won't be much longer before the rest lose their leaves. I don't know much about your chimney issues but if you are are going with a gas burning insert, Badger's advise seems logical. Probably best to do it now before the snow starts to fly.  Go Chiefs !

Hi Jamie. Thanks on the deck. I was going to pay someone to do that job for me but had trouble finding someone that would do it at a reasonable price. So I just took my time and did it myself. Enjoy your 80's temperatures

Hey Bob. Sorry about your girlfriend's little doggie. Maybe Ebay for finding a bright red hoddie ?

Holly, thanks for the pictures. LBV party didn't look very crowded like in past years.
PJ, thank you for posting Holly's pics.

Chris, thank you for the fishy pictures. You two finally some decent snorkeling time.

Time to scoot.
See y'all,
Bernie

Weekend at Bernie's
Beach Bernie
LocoGringo Customer
  • Total Posts : 2384
Re: Morning Breakfast Club 2018/11/04 07:20:33 (permalink)
+1 (1)
fun in the sun to the South

Weekend at Bernie's
Page: << < ..846847848849850.. > >> Showing page 850 of 859
Jump to:
© 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5