Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
mike jeannie
Cooler Carrying Member
  • Total Posts : 126
  • Reward points: 147
2013/07/09 09:44:52 (permalink)

Grand Palladium Riviera

Just booked a 2 week holiday for Hubby and I at the Grand Palladium Riviera. Boy oh boy, are we excited!! Its our first time at the Palladium but our 7th year coming the the Mayan.

Now here comes the questions.

Do the rooms in the Riviera side have sliding screen doors? Hubby and I like to sleep with the sound of the tropics and the air conditioner off.

How about the beds? Comfortable or hard?

Food? Which is the best restaurant / buffet to eat at?

Showers? Water pressure good?

Looking forward to all responses.

Thanks

Jeannie of Mike and Jeannie

BeachBilly
Ultimate Member
  • Total Posts : 6877
  • Reward points: 2464
RE: Grand Palladium Riviera 2013/07/09 09:50:35 (permalink)
We have been to the Palladium RM 7x but have never stayed in the Riveria section so I can't help
with your questions. But you will love all that this resort has to offer![:)]

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment
of animals" ~Immanuel Kant

mike jeannie
Cooler Carrying Member
RE: Grand Palladium Riviera 2013/07/09 10:29:56 (permalink)
Thanks BeachBilly! Trust me, hubby and I make our own fun (wink, wink).

Another question. Coffee makers? All rooms have?
FresnoJoe
Starting Member
  • Total Posts : 21
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Grand Palladium Riviera 2013/07/09 11:17:58 (permalink)
All i can think of when you say sleep with the windows open is mosquito bites. My understanding is that there are coffee makers in all the rooms and have heard that the coffee is actually pretty good. We will be there end of July.
post edited by FresnoJoe - 2013/07/09 11:18:24
The Vermexican
LocoGringo Customer
  • Total Posts : 61
  • Reward points: 10
RE: Grand Palladium Riviera 2013/07/09 11:19:53 (permalink)
I stayed there in 2010

Showers were awesome
bungalows are close to the beach but not right on the beach....they do have a veranda and sliding doors
all the buffet style dining halls are good
If you want to eat aT AN aL lA cARTE BOOK AS EARLY AS YOU CAN...THEY FILL UP FAST AND THE LATER IT GETS THE LONGER THE WAIT TIME IS...WE ENDED UP BOOKING FOR THE EARLIEST RESERVATION....HMMM i THINK IT WAS AROUND 6:30PM
The Place is beautiful but VERY LARGE

Have fun

The VerMexican

makita579
Cooler Carrying Member
  • Total Posts : 395
RE: Grand Palladium Riviera 2013/07/09 11:36:59 (permalink)
Have fun at the Palladium! Not all restaurants will accept reservations. We only ate buffets for breakfast, and ate at a different restaurant for dinner most every night. Beds are a bit hard, water pressure was always fine for a shower. We've stayed at Colonial and White sands. Keep in mind the place is HUGE. Next time we'll stay at Kantenah cause that's our favorite part of the beach.
mike jeannie
Cooler Carrying Member
RE: Grand Palladium Riviera 2013/07/09 13:00:42 (permalink)
But see if there is a screen, no mosquitoes. [:)]

And now that i think back to all the times we've been to the Mayan, not once have any of us been bitten by those pesky critters.

mike jeannie
Cooler Carrying Member
RE: Grand Palladium Riviera 2013/07/09 13:02:30 (permalink)
Hubby and I thought for 2 weeks we should book a bigger resort. We were at the Barcelo in February and thought that was big. Never did get a chance to see it all. Is the Palladium is bigger?
Kwing
Ultimate Member
  • Total Posts : 8221
  • Reward points: 1990
RE: Grand Palladium Riviera 2013/07/09 13:12:13 (permalink)
We love the GP

Beds are comfy - to me - but some of those nites may have been tequila infused[:D]

When you open the sliding door - the a/c will shut off - yes there is a screen and yes there are coffee makers

The only ala carte restaurants you need to make reservations for are the Punta Emilia - it's a beach bar by day and at night turns into a seafood restaurant - very romantic on the beach! And the other is the Japanese hibachi table. The others you just show up and you'll be given a beeper.

Be sure to check out the Spa - it's free to use the water features, sauna etc.

The buffets have different themed nights, so you don't always have to "dress up" for an ala carte.

The big pool on the colonial side is over 5' deep in some areas. The big pool on the White Sands sides is shallower. Bring a "float thingy" of some sort if you're 5'3" or under for the colonial pool[:D] The "secret adults only" pool on the colonial side is also deep like that - watch your step on the last step - it's a doosy[:D]. The "adults only" on the white sand side is not as deep.

Enjoy!!!
TomKatWpg
Cooler Carrying Member
  • Total Posts : 682
  • Reward points: 1678
RE: Grand Palladium Riviera 2013/07/09 13:15:09 (permalink)
Hi M J,
We stayed in the Colonial section in Oct 2011.
Screens & Coffee Makers, yes.
Good water pressure, and comfortable beds.
Watch out when stepping into tub as some have a fairly steep slope at the back.
I went in after my wife and I twisted my knee when I slipped and fell getting in, on our first day.
It made for a week of limping about the huge resort.
My favorite restaurant was Ribs & More and Kathy really like the Japanese. They were all quite good, except the beach BBQ which was not great.
When are you going? We are looking at October but haven't found a price we like yet.

mike jeannie
Cooler Carrying Member
RE: Grand Palladium Riviera 2013/07/09 13:17:14 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: TomKatWpg

Hi M J,
We stayed in the Colonial section in Oct 2011.
Screens & Coffee Makers, yes.
Good water pressure, and comfortable beds.
Watch out when stepping into tub as some have a fairly steep slope at the back.
I went in after my wife and I twisted my knee when I slipped and fell getting in, on our first day.
It made for a week of limping about the huge resort.
My favorite restaurant was Ribs & More and Kathy really like the Japanese. They were all quite good, except the beach BBQ which was not great.
When are you going? We are looking at October but haven't found a price we like yet.

hey fellow winterpegger!! we depart january 29th. hubby won't tell me how much he paid, since its a birthday present for me. but he did mentioned he got a great deal.
mike jeannie
Cooler Carrying Member
RE: Grand Palladium Riviera 2013/07/09 13:19:33 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Kwing

We love the GP

Beds are comfy - to me - but some of those nites may have been tequila infused[:D]

When you open the sliding door - the a/c will shut off - yes there is a screen and yes there are coffee makers

The only ala carte restaurants you need to make reservations for are the Punta Emilia - it's a beach bar by day and at night turns into a seafood restaurant - very romantic on the beach! And the other is the Japanese hibachi table. The others you just show up and you'll be given a beeper.

Be sure to check out the Spa - it's free to use the water features, sauna etc.

The buffets have different themed nights, so you don't always have to "dress up" for an ala carte.

The big pool on the colonial side is over 5' deep in some areas. The big pool on the White Sands sides is shallower. Bring a "float thingy" of some sort if you're 5'3" or under for the colonial pool[:D] The "secret adults only" pool on the colonial side is also deep like that - watch your step on the last step - it's a doosy[:D]. The "adults only" on the white sand side is not as deep.

Enjoy!!!

check out spa
bring floaty thingy
watch last step
check check and check
Kwing
Ultimate Member
RE: Grand Palladium Riviera 2013/07/09 13:22:44 (permalink)
Ooops - I forgot about the Beach BBQ - you need reservations for that, but the last 3 times we went - we never even tried it.

Also - just saw that you're going in Jan.............I "think" not sure that they may be charging for the spa by then..........Cape Cod Ann - can you confirm this?

Now that's a great Birthday gift![sm=kopete008.png]
TomKatWpg
Cooler Carrying Member
  • Total Posts : 682
  • Reward points: 1678
RE: Grand Palladium Riviera 2013/07/09 13:23:36 (permalink)
Hey Neighbor,
Jeannie, You will love the resort. If you have any other questions, just ask, or send me an email or PM.
Tom

mike jeannie
Cooler Carrying Member
RE: Grand Palladium Riviera 2013/07/09 13:26:05 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Kwing

Ooops - I forgot about the Beach BBQ - you need reservations for that, but the last 3 times we went - we never even tried it.

Also - just saw that you're going in Jan.............I "think" not sure that they may be charging for the spa by then..........Cape Cod Ann - can you confirm this?

Now that's a great Birthday gift![sm=kopete008.png]

Well that's a bummer. I don't mind paying though. Hubby and I do enjoy the couples massage.

It is a great gift!! And it's gonna be a wonderful holiday!
FresnoJoe
Starting Member
RE: Grand Palladium Riviera 2013/07/09 13:46:51 (permalink)
The $10 per day charge will begin November 1st of this year according to management.
mike jeannie
Cooler Carrying Member
RE: Grand Palladium Riviera 2013/07/09 15:33:13 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: FresnoJoe

The $10 per day charge will begin November 1st of this year according to management.

Thanks FresnoJoe

So that $10 will allow you use of all the water facilities in the spa?
carloo1
Cooler Carrying Member
  • Total Posts : 147
  • Reward points: 565
RE: Grand Palladium Riviera 2013/07/09 17:57:13 (permalink)
We stayed in the White Sands section in April. Loved the resort. Beds were comfortable, water pressure great, rooms were so spacious....we were shocked at the size.
The bathrooms were huge with Jacuzzi tubs. Our villa was next to a wooden walkway which took us to the beach....about a 45 second walk. The beach was lovely, however the water entry was rocky so we went down to the Colonial and Katenah section and there was a wonderful sandy entry. When we return we will stay in the Katanah side as this is where we spent much of our time.
Check out Hemmingway Bar....great place to relax and drink top shelf liquor. We liked the buffets in the Colonial and Kantenah section better as well. I was not thrilled with the ala cartes, but we loved the beach barbecue. Punta Emilia was great for beach snacks, but we weren't thrilled with the meal in the evening. Lovely atmosphere, though.
We found the staff very friendly and happy.
So much wild life with MANY iguanas around, amazing birds, etc. We had a huge iguana outside our building every morning sunning himself. We named him Grandpa.
We are going back as soon as possible!
You will have a great time!

Cindi

FresnoJoe
Starting Member
RE: Grand Palladium Riviera 2013/07/09 18:49:40 (permalink)
$10 covers all but actual treatments. No charge for gym located at the spa. Not sure if they plan on implementing some type of week pass. Just looking at pictures it looks like a great place to get away from it all.
Kwing
Ultimate Member
RE: Grand Palladium Riviera 2013/07/09 18:56:13 (permalink)
For those of you that haven't been This website is a great way to get a look around the resort.
mike jeannie
Cooler Carrying Member
RE: Grand Palladium Riviera 2013/07/10 09:14:14 (permalink)
that's a pretty awesome website kwing!!!

i read somewhere, trip advisor i think, that if your booked for the Riviera side they sometimes upgrade you to the white sands. that ever happen to anyone? the villas in the white sands sure is beautiful!!
cape cod ann
Cooler Carrying Member
  • Total Posts : 2147
  • Reward points: 697
RE: Grand Palladium Riviera 2013/07/11 18:19:26 (permalink)
Yes, there are screen doors but as was said the AC will go off if the screen doors are open. Be sure and wander down to Punta Emilia beach bar for a sunrise/great coffee/champagne in the morning.

You have use of all buffets and all ala cartes except the Royal area and El Jardin. Menus are posted outside of the restaurants so you can decide what appeal to you. I can also send you a link where I have menus posted.

Be sure and spend some time at the salt water pool. Gorgeous spot at Riviera end.

All ala cartes are non reservations except for Punta Emilia (seafood), BBQ beach party and hibachi table (Japanese.) These must be booked the day before.

As of now there is a $10 pp fee that will be imposed at the spa when you go.If you are staying in the Royal, are VIP or use spa fees there is no charge ($10)
post edited by cape cod ann - 2013/10/03 18:12:30
mike jeannie
Cooler Carrying Member
RE: Grand Palladium Riviera 2013/07/12 08:22:56 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: cape cod ann

Yes, there are screen doors but as was said the AC will go off if the screen doors are open. Be sure and wander down to Punta Emilia beach bar for a sunrise/great coffee/champagne in the morning.

You have use of all buffets and all ala cartes except the Royal area and El Jardin. Menus are posted outside of the restaurants so you can decide what appeal to you. I can also send you a link where I have menus posted.

Be sure and spend some time at the salt water pool. Gorgeous spot at Riviera end.

All ala cartes are non reservations except for Punta Emilia (seafood), BBQ beach party and hibachi table (Japanese.) These must be booked the day before.

As of now there is a $10 pp fee that will be imposed at the spa when you go.

i think all resorts are like that, ac turning off if the sliding door is open. we are both fine with that. we tend not to sleep with air conditioning on. love waking up to the sound of the waves and the birds!

thanks for the pm. very informative.

luvn the ocean
  • Total Posts : 52
  • Reward points: 508
RE: Grand Palladium Riviera 2013/07/16 10:10:06 (permalink)
Stayed in Riviera section, bldg 60, jr. Suite in 2012. Loved the Riviera side and location was the best. Going back this Dec. and booked a suite in Riviera. We went to Barcelo Palace last year and liked the Palladium so much better. The rooms are very comfortable and we always had hot water and full pressure for the shower. I do have a question on the spa also. If you book a service can you use the wet areas for free? The spa is really nice and was a nice touch when you could use it for free. I do understand why they would charge though, it was always so busy. You will not be disappointed in the Palladium.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
mike jeannie
Cooler Carrying Member
RE: Grand Palladium Riviera 2013/08/16 08:17:23 (permalink)
thank you all for the great advice.

its been a few years since we've been alone on vacation. hubby and i are so excited to go.

166 days to go!!! [:D]
Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5