Privatizing Akumal Bay?

Page: << < ..67 > Showing page 6 of 7
Author
water baby
Cooler Carrying Member
  • Total Posts : 763
  • Reward points: 2219
RE: Privatizing Akumal Bay? 2013/07/14 17:28:51 (permalink)
Traciedee-I agree! that's the way it was in June. All the tours coming in by land- I just thought the less boat traffic was a really good thing. Especially for those of us snorkeling!!![:-]
ORIGINAL: traciedee

Ya but now all the tours come from the shore. When we were there last year in the off season and we sat at Moonrise and watched tons of tour groups--- one after another hit the beach and then hit the water. It literally was wall to wall people in the water for most of the afternoon. We talked to a few of the folks and a lot of them had come from cruise ships. As I mentioned in another post it was great entertainment, but it made us decide we really had no desire to rush back to Akumal on our next visit. Which is sad because we usually stop there three or four times each visit. I like to buy coffee in the grocery stores there to take home-they usually have the best prices on Mexican coffee.

Whitney
Cooler Carrying Member
  • Total Posts : 2712
  • Reward points: 669
RE: Privatizing Akumal Bay? 2013/07/15 04:09:42 (permalink)
What beachmutt says is tru..all beaches are free, but you cannot enter Thru private property without permission. If this money..if there IS EVER money collected.my 2 cents is that I would love this to go to a sewage treatment plant which I believe would benefit all,,,most of which, the reef.

I think better later than never is much worse that just throwing up your hands, if I had done that,my own house, before I bought it, would have been ripped down years ago. I grabbed it before it was too late and now we all thrive in it. I wish nothing but the same for akumal..which we have loved to pieces....literally.

Applied in other fields, animals would be extinct, historical building would be gone...hell the ruins mp would never have been preserved!

As far as akumals reefs it not being the nicest in the world anymore...who's a are?

Look at the .great Barrier reef. The comparison photos for 30 years ago are heartbreaking. This is world wide. You want to get to an almost untouched reef? Hire a boat, spend a couple of days at sea...and travel miles...far away from the shore and it's human pollutants, it will cost more, but who can afford that.

As your might know I own a little casita in Mahahual. Is the reef nicer there? Yes...there is less of a human impact. However it's not as easy to get to as Akumal, you can paddle out. It takes about 10 15 minuts .and have it all to yourself which can be scary, to be that alone. Yu can hire a boat, which is fantastic but that much more expensive, Akumals reefs, have a beautiful place both in our hearts and in its location. it is never to late to try to preserve it. I tend to lean on the optimistic side of this story.

It's not what you know, it's who you are.

crunch
Ultimate Member
  • Total Posts : 29470
  • Reward points: 1971
RE: Privatizing Akumal Bay? 2013/07/15 06:48:35 (permalink)
it is never to late to try to preserve it.

Yes. Anything is better than not trying at all.
SnorkelQueen
Cooler Carrying Member
  • Total Posts : 268
  • Reward points: 1103
RE: Privatizing Akumal Bay? 2013/07/15 15:17:28 (permalink)
I've been reading this with great interest, since we are returning to Mexico this summer for the 1st time since 2010. We made 8 straight trips there, and then decided Akumal was getting loved to death and we would try somewhere less crowded. We went to St. John in the off season, and the coral in areas other than Trunk Bay is definitely in much better shape than Akumal, but our vacation cost was more than double what we spend in Mexico and we can't afford to do that every year. The fact that Akumal is so accessible and inexpensive is precisely the reason it is loved to death. So, this year we'll be back in the Akumal area in 2 weeks and I only hope there is at least one path without boulders so that we can get to Akumal Bay. We wear vests to prevent damaging the coral, and would never dream of touching a turtle, so I hope it doesn't get to the point that everyone has to pay for a guide, but I would be glad to pay an admission price if they could find a way to funnel the access through a central point. It doesn't bother me to pay for access to Yalku Lagoon, and I think that probably helps preserve the area as much as you can when you've got development without adequate sewage disposal systems for everyone.
KansasKid
Cooler Carrying Member
  • Total Posts : 321
  • Reward points: 748
RE: Privatizing Akumal Bay? 2013/07/16 10:21:49 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Whitney

As far as akumals reefs it not being the nicest in the world anymore...who's a are?

Last year we stayed a week on Grace bay in Turks and Caicos and the reef around Smiths Reef makes Akumal's look like a desert, some of it was deeper so maybe that is why. here is a link to some of the pictures I took.  https://picasaweb.google.com/107720452746555166024/Oct2012TurksCaicosProvidencialesBritishWestIndies?authkey=Gv1sRgCPaszd67rYShygE#
post edited by KansasKid - 2013/07/17 06:32:57
tropikey
  • Total Posts : 41
  • Reward points: 713
RE: Privatizing Akumal Bay? 2013/07/16 10:59:26 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: KansasKid

Last year we stayed a week on Grace bay in Turks and Caicos and the reef around Smiths Reef makes Akumal's look like a desert, Alot of it was deeper so maybe that is why. here is a link to some of the pictures I took.  https://picasaweb.google.com/107720452746555166024/Oct2012TurksCaicosProvidencialesBritishWestIndies?authkey=Gv1sRgCPaszd67rYShygE#

Your pictures are sooo beautiful! At what time of the year did you go to Turks & Caicos?

Best regards, Bartek
tropikey.com
KansasKid
Cooler Carrying Member
  • Total Posts : 321
  • Reward points: 748
RE: Privatizing Akumal Bay? 2013/07/16 12:29:21 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: tropikey

ORIGINAL: KansasKid

Last year we stayed a week on Grace bay in Turks and Caicos and the reef around Smiths Reef makes Akumal's look like a desert, Alot of it was deeper so maybe that is why. here is a link to some of the pictures I took.  https://picasaweb.google.com/107720452746555166024/Oct2012TurksCaicosProvidencialesBritishWestIndies?authkey=Gv1sRgCPaszd67rYShygE#

Your pictures are sooo beautiful! At what time of the year did you go to Turks & Caicos?

Well thank you, we went the 1st week of OCT , perfect weather and not crowded, but very expensive, we stayed ina $99 a night bungalow in low season with private pool and private beach, beer is $65 a case of cans, we flew there on frequent flier miles so it wasnt to bad, we used the grill on the property to eat nightly, we are returning next Sept for a week,
txgal
Cooler Carrying Member
  • Total Posts : 706
  • Reward points: 1392
RE: Privatizing Akumal Bay? 2013/07/17 08:05:14 (permalink)
So here is the scoop from yesterday - today is a brand new day so it can be different again.... we shall see.

We did what we normally do and drove to the Lol-Ha entrance - told the guard we were going to Lol-Ha -he told us they do not serve until 11:30. So we couldn't enter there. So we went across the street and parked there. It is $20 pesos an hour -but if you get the ticket validated by any of the restaurants on that side it becomes $2 pesos an hour.

We then walked into the bay area - they do have the rocks and some fencing up now - but it's to divert you to the path that goes by the dive shop and bathrooms. No biggy. We walked around.

Of course Lol-Ha was open - but instead of renting their chairs and eating at their restaurant - we laid out on the sand - snorkeled until I couldn't take one more fin to the face (about 2 hrs) then picked up and went to Turtle bay for lunch and Lucys ice cream.

So I would say that since we couldn't park at Lol-ha- we actually saved money by not being comfortable on the rented loungers and spending more money on drinks than we should. Too bad for Lol-ha though - we usually drop at least $50 to $100 a day there with the 6 of us and after 6 nights.... that adds up. We will bring our own waters and go eat across the way now. No sense in spending money there if they can't validate my parking for across the street.

Suzanne

kodi4me
Cooler Carrying Member
  • Total Posts : 75
  • Reward points: 1427
RE: Privatizing Akumal Bay? 2013/07/17 16:13:40 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: txgal
"Then walked into the bay area - they do have the rocks and some fencing up now - but it's to divert you to the path that goes by the dive shop and bathrooms. No biggy. We walked around."

So they moved the huge rocks back to block the broad path south Akumal Dive Shop? On Monday they were pushed out of the way and blocking only a roadside pathway and forcing people to walk on the road. I wonder what the next steps will be.

Forcing people to walk on the roadway thru the arches and down past the dive shop isn't the safest situation.
Evergreen
LocoGringo Customer
  • Total Posts : 40
  • Reward points: 1673
RE: Privatizing Akumal Bay? 2013/07/19 17:44:48 (permalink)
"Bumping" this up as I would really like to know the latest.
Anybody there?
saraloche
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Privatizing Akumal Bay? The Pirates? 2013/09/01 15:14:55 (permalink)
This year, as we were snorkeling around the bay, minding our own business, being respectful of the coral, the turtles and our general surroundings, we were accosted on several occasions by men in orange canoes. These men claimed that a) we were not permitted to snorkel other than in the buoyed sections in-front of Lol-Ha, b) that we were required to wear a life-jacket while snorkeling, and c) that these were both federal rules applying only to Akumal and to no other beach in Mexico, and if we were not inclined to abide by them, we were free to leave. As we were already on our bay back to the Las Casitas beach, we asked them to meet us there with some form documentation proving their right to enforce such so-called Federal rules. Once on the beach, we received a visit from the same fellow on the canoe, with no documentation of any kind, and instead, accompanied by a cameraman wielding a professional video camera. Before they got a chance to say anything, we asked them to put down the camera and to produce some kind of identification, to which they did neither. To our legitimate request, their tone was consistently abrasive and confrontational, asking us to follow them to the Centro Ecologico Akumal (CEA), even threatening to call the police. As respectable an institution as is the CEA, it is certainly not the federal government, so we did no such thing and went home. At this point, we felt entirely harassed. Who are these people? Why did they keep refusing to demonstrate their authority? And was there actually any form of authority to back them? We inquired with the acting manager of Las Casitas, who did speak with both the director of the CEA and the leader of the “pirates” as we were told they are called; he confirmed that we could in fact swim without a life-jacket wherever we wanted, and that neither of these gentlemen had any authority whatsoever.
We have been coming to Akumal for over fifteen years, we have reveled in its beauty and simplicity and enjoyed the nature it has to offer. What is to become of Akumal in the years to come? Another Xel-Ha? Is Akumals’ fate to lie in the hands of these so-called “pirates”?
Paradisefor50
LocoGringo Customer
  • Total Posts : 189
  • Reward points: 645
RE: Privatizing Akumal Bay? The Pirates? 2013/09/01 17:02:03 (permalink)
When did this happen Saraloche? All of this makes me nervous to go in 19 days.
ORIGINAL: saraloche

This year, as we were snorkeling around the bay, minding our own business, being respectful of the coral, the turtles and our general surroundings, we were accosted on several occasions by men in orange canoes. These men claimed that a) we were not permitted to snorkel other than in the buoyed sections in-front of Lol-Ha, b) that we were required to wear a life-jacket while snorkeling, and c) that these were both federal rules applying only to Akumal and to no other beach in Mexico, and if we were not inclined to abide by them, we were free to leave. As we were already on our bay back to the Las Casitas beach, we asked them to meet us there with some form documentation proving their right to enforce such so-called Federal rules. Once on the beach, we received a visit from the same fellow on the canoe, with no documentation of any kind, and instead, accompanied by a cameraman wielding a professional video camera. Before they got a chance to say anything, we asked them to put down the camera and to produce some kind of identification, to which they did neither. To our legitimate request, their tone was consistently abrasive and confrontational, asking us to follow them to the Centro Ecologico Akumal (CEA), even threatening to call the police. As respectable an institution as is the CEA, it is certainly not the federal government, so we did no such thing and went home. At this point, we felt entirely harassed. Who are these people? Why did they keep refusing to demonstrate their authority? And was there actually any form of authority to back them? We inquired with the acting manager of Las Casitas, who did speak with both the director of the CEA and the leader of the “pirates” as we were told they are called; he confirmed that we could in fact swim without a life-jacket wherever we wanted, and that neither of these gentlemen had any authority whatsoever.
We have been coming to Akumal for over fifteen years, we have reveled in its beauty and simplicity and enjoyed the nature it has to offer. What is to become of Akumal in the years to come? Another Xel-Ha? Is Akumals’ fate to lie in the hands of these so-called “pirates”?

Vancouver Sundog
LocoGringo Customer
  • Total Posts : 7884
  • Reward points: 2572
RE: Privatizing Akumal Bay? The Pirates? 2013/09/01 17:12:57 (permalink)
We are there now

no one has stopped us but read a similar thread on another forum that they want you to buy a guide

Will ask around

A triple PMASB2019  & AASB2019 (Part  I & II) -
Happening now

relaxing
LocoGringo Customer
  • Total Posts : 1360
  • Reward points: 172
RE: Privatizing Akumal Bay? The Pirates? 2013/09/01 19:18:57 (permalink)
Si, report back Van Sundog... very curious

[/url]

Tortuga Tom
Ultimate Member
  • Total Posts : 14900
  • Reward points: 470
RE: Privatizing Akumal Bay? The Pirates? 2013/09/01 20:25:41 (permalink)
Was just there for 2 weeks. Saw nor heard of any such thing.

Your body may be a temple but mine's an amusement park!
http://www.seashepherd.org
CallMeFrank
LocoGringo Customer
  • Total Posts : 6066
  • Reward points: 2150
RE: Privatizing Akumal Bay? The Pirates? 2013/09/01 21:26:46 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Tortuga Tom

Easy answer for why you and VS weren't harasssed. If you were them would you even think about harassing a couple of thugs like you two?[:D][:D][:D] The pirates have probably had an a$$ kicking before in their young lives and weren't looking for another!
Tortuga Tom
Ultimate Member
  • Total Posts : 14900
  • Reward points: 470
RE: Privatizing Akumal Bay? The Pirates? 2013/09/01 22:05:56 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: CallMeFrank

ORIGINAL: Tortuga Tom

Easy answer for why you and VS weren't harasssed. If you were them would you even think about harassing a couple of thugs like you two?[:D][:D][:D] The pirates have probably had an a$$ kicking before in their young lives and weren't looking for another!

Lol.....yeah, that would have been the start of a very bad day for them. [:D][:D][:D]

Your body may be a temple but mine's an amusement park!
http://www.seashepherd.org
nevertoolate
LocoGringo Customer
  • Total Posts : 412
  • Reward points: 1167
RE: Privatizing Akumal Bay? The Pirates? 2013/09/01 22:27:43 (permalink)
****es me off to hear this!
We have been for 10 or 15 years as well staying at Hotel Akumal Caribe, ABR, Las Casitas once, and Half Moon Bay.
CEA is a-okay with me, but it seems they need to separate themselves from the local Pirates,
Or lose my support for CEA. And perhaps the whole idea of Akumal!
It will never be what it once was - perhaps the owners of the hotel can make more money by turning It into PDC or Xel-Ha,
But I won't be there!

All those condo owners on HMB better get interested in how this shakes out because access to Akumal Bay
is a critical part of what rents out their condos! HMB is cool by itself, but without easy Akumal access those condos are less valuable,
at least to me!

I am likely over-reacting to the post above from SARALOCHE, her one and only post by the way.
I need to pay more attention to things like that!
Sorry.
post edited by nevertoolate - 2013/09/02 13:55:17
sherrys07
LocoGringo Customer
  • Total Posts : 3980
  • Reward points: 601
RE: Privatizing Akumal Bay? The Pirates? 2013/09/02 11:52:29 (permalink)
No problems here at all.

Sherry

Next trip to heaven on earth.....soon!
PaulSN CEA
  • Total Posts : 9
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Privatizing Akumal Bay? The Pirates? 2013/09/02 14:12:34 (permalink)
Hello Everyone,

I am sorry for all the confusion. It is definitely NOT CEA in the kayaks harassing people. It is the Piratas. This is one of the several negative results we have going on due to the fact that the federal wildlife agency approved two management plans for Akumal bay, one that CEA facilitated, to include all the local stakeholders (hotels, dive shops, independent local guides) and the needs of the bay, and one for the Piratas. CEA had invited the Piratas to the table to create one bay management plan but they walked out. The hotels and dive shops did participate. We are working to improve this situation but it will take great effort because of a lot of misinformation and a bit more politics. For the moment though, there is no single "authority" in the bay other than the lifeguard. No one has the right to harass anyone in the water and we do ask you to please report this.
To clear up one point - all tour operators must now use bracelets, whether buying them from the Piratas or the local dive shops, hotels or CEA. All tours without bracelets are subject to fines from the federal authorities. Individuals living or staying in Akumal wanting to swim or snorkel in Akumal bay may do so freely.
The point of the management plan was to regulate (limit) the massive tours.
We will try to now make regular postings on our site to inform you of any changes etc.
Again, sorry for all the confusion and thanks for everyone's efforts to educate about good snorkel practices and wildlife observation! You all are great!
crunch
Ultimate Member
  • Total Posts : 29470
  • Reward points: 1971
RE: Privatizing Akumal Bay? The Pirates? 2013/09/03 06:52:36 (permalink)
So, who are these Piratas exactly?

And are they helping to limit the tours?

Thanks for any info Paul.
palapaboy
LocoGringo Customer
  • Total Posts : 1024
  • Reward points: 751
RE: Privatizing Akumal Bay? The Pirates? 2013/09/03 09:07:26 (permalink)
Hola crunch.

Yeah, I have complained about these guys (Pirates) before. In general, these are late comers to the scene. I saw them organizing snorkel tours in the parking lot a couple of years ago. Kinda ironic actually. Before, people could rent gear locally and go in, but these guys have groups organized and they provide gear (orange colored) and a guide. I am sure they would like to be the primary tour company, if they had their way. [;)]

"I know one thing - indecision may, or may not, be my problem." Jimmy Buffett

Isla Chica
LocoGringo Customer
  • Total Posts : 5839
  • Reward points: 850
RE: Privatizing Akumal Bay? The Pirates? 2013/09/03 09:29:20 (permalink)
Sounds just like the airport scams, only in the water. [:@] [:'(]
gerber
LocoGringo Customer
  • Total Posts : 914
  • Reward points: 1592
RE: Privatizing Akumal Bay? The Pirates? 2013/09/03 10:05:58 (permalink)
To clear up one point - all tour operators must now use bracelets, whether buying them from the Piratas or the local dive shops, hotels or CEA. All tours without bracelets are subject to fines from the federal authorities. Individuals living or staying in Akumal wanting to swim or snorkel in Akumal bay may do so freely.
ORIGINAL: PaulSN CEA

Question:  What if I'm not staying in Akumal?  What if I'm in Puerto Morelos, or Tulum or somewhere else?  Can I take a cab or colectivo to Akumal and go for a snorkel on my own?  Or do I need to go with a tour now?

Thanks!

gal4giants
LocoGringo Customer
  • Total Posts : 1716
  • Reward points: 1031
RE: Privatizing Akumal Bay? The Pirates? 2013/09/03 10:19:21 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: PaulSN CEA
No one has the right to harass anyone in the water and we do ask you to please report this.

I suppose I don't have the right to harass but I do & will continue to do so when I see idiots out there standing on coral, yanking on turtles, feeding fish goldfish crackers, slathering on lotion seconds before entering the water. The municipality of Tulum has let this get out of control & it's just plain sad.

Yes, you can come to Akumal from Tulum, Puerto Morelos & etc & snorkel.

Page: << < ..67 > Showing page 6 of 7
Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5