Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 7
Author
Wifey
LocoGringo Customer
  • Total Posts : 9536
  • Reward points: 2290
2013/07/08 12:02:54 (permalink)

Privatizing Akumal Bay?

I was just perusing facebook and noted a post by one of my friends that live in Akumal that the Board has decided to privatize Akumal Bay. Anyone else hear anything about this? It's not for bay protection, sounds like a way to make more $$ for the powers that be. [&o]
post edited by Wifey - 2013/07/08 13:05:29

snowbound
LocoGringo Customer
  • Total Posts : 4358
  • Reward points: 1627
RE: Privatizing Akumal Bay? 2013/07/08 12:24:58 (permalink)
Hmmm...
Define "Privitazation" as it applies in Mexico.

Admission charge?
Reservations req'd?
Palapa rentals?

Pay toilets?!?! [:(]

Snow

"Outside of your comfort zone is where the magic happens."
bobstew
LocoGringo Customer
  • Total Posts : 69
  • Reward points: 1358
RE: Privatizing Akumal Bay? 2013/07/08 12:41:28 (permalink)
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e161/bobstewa/rocks1_zps81bb0118.jpg

This photo was posted to the Chan Chemuyil HOC Facebook page this morning. Trucks came around 4 am and dumped large stones to block beach access. I know nothing more and I am anxious for an explanation.
sherrys07
LocoGringo Customer
  • Total Posts : 3980
  • Reward points: 601
RE: Privatizing Akumal Bay? 2013/07/08 12:52:22 (permalink)
The sign is directing free beach access elsewhere.

Sherry

Next trip to heaven on earth.....soon!
Wifey
LocoGringo Customer
RE: Privatizing Akumal Bay? 2013/07/08 13:02:03 (permalink)
This is what I read:

"The Board of Directors, not the paid staff, have made a decision to close public access to Akumal Bay through the property of Centro Ecologico Akumal/CEA. Members of the Board of Directors who have financial interests in privatizing the beach. It does not appear to be for the gain for conservation of the bay but to sell the bay to the highest bidder. Big ugly boulders are piled up in front of and behind a high fence with ugly signs and guards. This is how we welcome visitors to our tourist destination place."

I don't know what all of that means but it doesn't sound very good.
post edited by Wifey - 2013/07/08 13:03:41

Maggie
LocoGringo Customer
  • Total Posts : 16796
  • Reward points: 1866
RE: Privatizing Akumal Bay? 2013/07/08 13:09:26 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Wifey

This is what I read:

"The Board of Directors, not the paid staff, have made a decision to close public access to Akumal Bay through the property of Centro Ecologico Akumal/CEA. Members of the Board of Directors who have financial interests in privatizing the beach. It does not appear to be for the gain for conservation of the bay but to sell the bay to the highest bidder. Big ugly boulders are piled up in front of and behind a high fence with ugly signs and guards. This is how we welcome visitors to our tourist destination place."

Hola Wifey!!!

Did you get this off the 'dude's' facebook page? This will be interesting to see how this turns out.......

BINK!
Mags[:D]

For Saskia: Odota, anna minun ajaa se pois!
Wifey
LocoGringo Customer
RE: Privatizing Akumal Bay? 2013/07/08 13:15:41 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Maggie

ORIGINAL: Wifey

This is what I read:

Hola Wifey!!!

Did you get this off the 'dude's' facebook page? This will be interesting to see how this turns out.......

BINK!

Hola Mags!

No, I didn't. I don't know who "the dude" is.
post edited by Wifey - 2013/07/08 13:16:10

Maggie
LocoGringo Customer
RE: Privatizing Akumal Bay? 2013/07/08 13:19:04 (permalink)
Hola!

I don't know the 'dude' either, hence my term 'dude'......if I didn't know you I might depending on my mood refer to you as a dude! Follow my logic, but since I happen to know that you are female and thereby not a dude, I will reapectfully refer to you as a dudette.....make sense- therefore those whom I don't know are termed as dudes - where I am going with this I don't know......oh the bay......here is what I got off the FB page of said "dude"[;)]

Spanish off the FB page: Difundir que Akumal "paraiso protegido" por los pobladores desde anos, ha sido privatizada sin fundamento alguno, siendo ahora de uso exclusivo para los inversionistas extranjeros. Akumal es considerado zona de refugio de tres de tortugas marinas. (Spanish)

Translation: Disseminate to Akumal "paraiso protegido" by villagers for years, has been privatized without any basis, being now used exclusively for foreign investors. " Akumal is considered retreat three of sea turtles. (English)

BINK!

Wifey
LocoGringo Customer
RE: Privatizing Akumal Bay? 2013/07/08 13:24:09 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Maggie

Hola!

I don't know the 'dude' either, hence my term 'dude'......if I didn't know you I might depending on my mood refer to you as a dude! Follow my logic, but since I happen to know that you are female and thereby not a dude, I will reapectfully refer to you as a dudette.....make sense- therefore those whom I don't know are termed as dudes - where I am going with this I don't know......oh the bay......here is what I got off the FB page of said "dude"[;)]

Spanish off the FB page: Difundir que Akumal "paraiso protegido" por los pobladores desde anos, ha sido privatizada sin fundamento alguno, siendo ahora de uso exclusivo para los inversionistas extranjeros. Akumal es considerado zona de refugio de tres de tortugas marinas. (Spanish)

Translation: Disseminate to Akumal "paraiso protegido" by villagers for years, has been privatized without any basis, being now used exclusively for foreign investors. " Akumal is considered retreat three of sea turtles. (English)

BINK!

Gotcha! Thanks Dudette!

Maggie
LocoGringo Customer
RE: Privatizing Akumal Bay? 2013/07/08 13:38:57 (permalink)
Here is what went down......

Click Here

A loose translation:

TULUM, q. Roo.-then that Mayor Martín Cobos Villalobos ventured in a statement as the main access to the public in the Bay of Akumal Beach, located inside a private property, and that only the owners can decide which is made or not, settlers and the families in the village were "burned" and new account held a demonstration to avoid that this window to the sea be closed by operators from the ecological Center of Akumal, saying owners.It was at 10 in the morning yesterday when with banners and with his voice, more than 100 akumalenos, between men and women, expressed its total disagreement and they rejected the attitudes of the representatives of the Centro Ecológico Akumal (CEA) that are intended to take over public access, that for more than 30 years has served to bring people to the public beach.The present there said that the aim of this March is to show the collective strength to express discontent widespread privatization of the public beach access, also accused Laura Busch, of all these irregularities regarding the closure of entries to the coasts, because under the argument that already bought them, has been gradually encircling these paths used by locals to reach the beachesHowever that article 27 of the Constitution establishes that the sale of national assets to foreigners, including the beaches, is prohibited.In a statement of the commune is reported through the Mayor, that there is no impediment, or will be, for the inhabitants of Akumal enter by the main route to the beaches. "Access total to the beaches, there is no reason to make people upset and concerned," said President Martín Cobos Villalobos.In this regard, stressed that manifestations of dissatisfaction of the inhabitants of Akumal, of is day, are understandable, but through dialogue with businessmen it has become clear that the main entry road to the beach is open.Thanked the people of Akumal their sensitivity and confidence they gave him to solve this apparent conflict of interest, that there is no given that both parties are in agreement to keep access open and with his attitude by way of dialogue and negotiation help keep a peaceful tourist destination such as Tulum.Among banners written by villagers are quoted verbatim: "To be green is to forbid me to go to the beach", will now where I swim?, "CEA us use and fool with games and giveaways," "I want to go to the beach", "us born and raised in beaches, not take them away", "do members where they are? In this scenario the mayor said that access is public and promised to see to it that no one close to it, at least in the remainder of his administration.

BINK!
Mags[sm=devilsmoking.gif]

TeriA
LocoGringo Customer
  • Total Posts : 1622
  • Reward points: 1977
RE: Privatizing Akumal Bay? 2013/07/08 13:42:19 (permalink)
Well that bites. So, how is one supposed to access the town from the beach now? You can't go through Lol Ha's property, at least from what I understand they are not permitting it unless you are a HAC guest. What other access is there? Perhaps going up the stairs by CEA, and walking thru by Imelda's?

" title=" ">

Cabin Boy
Cooler Carrying Member
  • Total Posts : 2180
  • Reward points: 400
RE: Privatizing Akumal Bay? 2013/07/08 14:01:36 (permalink)
So translating what Bing or whatever site does it ......what does this mean???
Are the tourists going to have to pay an "entrance fee" to gain access to the bay??
Before this gets out of hand someone from Loco Gringo has to post what is going on, if they even know.
I can see this thread going viral in short order. The sky is NOT Falling folks. We just have to have the correct information of what is being said or ??????

CB

Enjoy the Journey, It's the only one we get.
SolMan
LocoGringo Customer
  • Total Posts : 2038
  • Reward points: 1824
RE: Privatizing Akumal Bay? 2013/07/08 14:05:08 (permalink)
So they've blocked all public access to the beach? Am I understanding that correctly?

nipper
Ultimate Member
  • Total Posts : 13725
  • Reward points: 1859
RE: Privatizing Akumal Bay? 2013/07/08 14:09:37 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: sherrys07

The sign is directing free beach access elsewhere.

Must be somewhere! TeriA could have it.

AASB 2018 created good memories. Getting ready for 2019!!
Gary
Administrator
  • Total Posts : 171
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Privatizing Akumal Bay? 2013/07/08 14:34:14 (permalink)
Sorry, I just deleted my Zorro post because i wanted to post as Gary instead. Bottom line, I'd take a wait and see attitude to this entrance change. That "public" entrance was probably private, otherwise they would not be a liberty to close it, and private land owners have the right to manage their land. There is public access nearby but most visitors can easily enter through Lol ha, buy a drink or meal and use the beach. If you don't want to do that follow the signs to use the public access.
post edited by Gary - 2013/07/08 14:35:24
bobstew
LocoGringo Customer
  • Total Posts : 69
  • Reward points: 1358
RE: Privatizing Akumal Bay? 2013/07/08 14:37:29 (permalink)
free entry settlers of Akumal, a Mexican friend from Chemuyil has posted that the sign means free entrance to local residents of Akumal.
Wifey
LocoGringo Customer
RE: Privatizing Akumal Bay? 2013/07/08 15:15:46 (permalink)
I wasn't trying to stir up anything with this post. I was just looking for more information to add to what I had already read. No need for viruses!

Thanks Gary for taking the time to post. We shall wait and see. [;)]

Tortuga Tom
Ultimate Member
  • Total Posts : 14900
  • Reward points: 470
RE: Privatizing Akumal Bay? 2013/07/08 15:15:47 (permalink)
I'm reading that people are simply being re-routed to the walkway next to CEA. The sky is not falling and nobody is being charged an entrance fee. Here is the complete photo of the partial pic in the earlier link.

Your body may be a temple but mine's an amusement park!
http://www.seashepherd.org
Wifey
LocoGringo Customer
RE: Privatizing Akumal Bay? 2013/07/08 15:19:06 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Tortuga Tom

I'm reading that people are simply being re-routed to the walkway next to CEA. The sky is not falling and nobody is being charged an entrance fee. Here is the complete photo of the partial pic in the earlier link.

I never said anything about an entrance fee.

Gary
Administrator
  • Total Posts : 171
RE: Privatizing Akumal Bay? 2013/07/08 15:25:24 (permalink)
Looks like the access question has been answered. I'll be back in town on Wednesday. For now it seems to be just a simple entrance change.
Tortuga Tom
Ultimate Member
RE: Privatizing Akumal Bay? 2013/07/08 15:27:47 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Cabin Boy

Are the tourists going to have to pay an "entrance fee" to gain access to the bay??
Before this gets out of hand someone from Loco Gringo has to post what is going on, if they even know.
I can see this thread going viral in short order. The sky is NOT Falling folks. We just have to have the correct information of what is being said or ??????

CB

Wifey- I did not say you did......responding to this.

Wifey
LocoGringo Customer
RE: Privatizing Akumal Bay? 2013/07/08 15:30:14 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Tortuga Tom

ORIGINAL: Cabin Boy

CB

Wifey- I did not say you did......responding to this.

Gracias TT-

To all: I was not trying to stir up a poop storm here. I was merely looking for more information. Sorry to have caused duress.

Tomas
Ultimate Member
  • Total Posts : 8680
  • Reward points: 1991
RE: Privatizing Akumal Bay? 2013/07/08 15:32:06 (permalink)
I hope they don't throw down a "security rope" in the dirt across the path. I always get a bit nervous trying to get past those things.[:D]

"Turn up the heat,
chill the rose,
stretch out on the beach
and let those metatarsals play"
(Rev. J. Buffett)
Tortuga Tom
Ultimate Member
RE: Privatizing Akumal Bay? 2013/07/08 15:32:22 (permalink)
To all: I was not trying to stir up a poop storm here. I was merely looking for more information. Sorry to have caused duress

Those questions deserve answers. [:)]

paulsn
  • Total Posts : 13
RE: Privatizing Akumal Bay? 2013/07/08 15:50:10 (permalink)
Hello Everyone. In an effort to provide clear information about what CEA is doing, I am copying a bulletin we prepared. Specifically though, no one can "privatize" Akumal bay. I will be happy to answer any questions you may have at my email - director@ceakumal.org
Thank you everyone for your concern and interest. Our goal is to protect the marine ecosystem.

Efforts to reduce the current degradation of Akumal bay and recover coral and sea grass, as well as protect the Green sea turtle population.

Akumal bay is being destroyed from massive snorkel tourism, and related bad snorkeling and marine recreation practices (grabbing sea turtles, standing on coral, poaching sea turtle nests, illegal vendors, shoddy equipment, molesting visitors). Centro Ecológico Akumal (CEA), the hotels and dive shops are working to revert this situation through better control of the beachfront properties and by implementing a bay management program.

Research shows at least a 30% reduction in coral cover in the last 10 years, and a 60% increase of macroalgae. This is a dangerous combination: macroalgae grow over coral reefs, competing for space and eventually winning out over new coral growth. Macroalgae also grow over seagrasses, the main diet for the juvenile and sub-adult Green sea turtle population in Akumal Bay. Conservative estimates tell us that swimming with turtles, the key attraction for Akumal, could have its days numbered if the threats mentioned above continue unabated. The seagrasses will disappear in two to three years and, with them, the sea turtles which feed on them.

Massive tourism (15,000 visitors monthly) also has caused dune and beach erosion and increased pollution in the bay. The increase in the demand for snorkel tours has also increased the number of operators, with outside companies using poorly trained guides or local companies whose tour operations have quadrupled, allowing huge amounts of people to snorkel without adequate equipment or safety information. Taxis and unmarked vans offer tour services, with no respect for the law. Most of these illegal businesses damage the coral and harass the sea turtles. Each day, these groups make quite a lot of money from the overexploitation of Akumal's natural resources and, through their operations, we witness daily violations of environmental, commercial and private property laws. Likewise, there have been fatal and near fatal accidents and drowning due to lack of information to the tourists regarding safety measures and good snorkeling practices.

The first step to address this situation is to control the use of CEA property; allowing Akumalians access to the beach and controlling the number of tours entering the bay. CEA will offer orderly access to the beach across its property, along with information and services for the safe and healthy enjoyment by the national and international tourists who visit Akumal. CEA is not “privatizing” the beach; the federal zone remains a public area. However, CEA is changing the location of the access to the beach and providing more security to visitors, while limiting the number of businesses that operate on its beach property.

Besides controlling its property, CEA is increasing its research and management efforts, in collaboration with the local hotels and dive shops and federal authorities to carry out management and rehabilitation measures to protect the valuable natural resources of Akumal.

For more information please contact our director, Paul Sánchez-Navarro at 984-875-9095 or director@ceakumal.org
Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 7
Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5