Barcelo versus Palladium ??

Author
texas yankee
LocoGringo Customer
  • Total Posts : 268
  • Reward points: 176
2013/06/18 22:13:25 (permalink)

Barcelo versus Palladium ??

Been doing a LOT of research - I checked directly with the hotel sites and **** and the AA site for flights (direct RTs from DFW) - found the best flight price and times on AA for a Tuesday departure and Tuesday return in October - $715

On the Barcelo site, the Barcelo Beach \ Caribe was $1447 and the Tropical Colonial (AC buffets) was $1668 for 7 nights in October; and the Palladium Colonialwas right in the middle at $1535 - but with the RT air on AA with good flight times at $715, the total was about $2200 - $2300 booking air and hotel separately.

The best price for a package deal (air and resort) was on Expedia - it seemed far superior - Barcelo Beach was $1530, Tropical was $1702, and Palladium Colonial was $1875.

I think there are free upgrades from the Beach to the COlonial at Barcelo.

Any good reasons to NOT book Barcelo Tropical \ Colonial?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Life is good . . .
BeachBilly
Ultimate Member
  • Total Posts : 6877
  • Reward points: 2464
RE: Barcelo versus Palladium ?? 2013/06/19 06:17:42 (permalink)
Are those prices per person or total? If they are per person, they all seem high to me for October. And I assume you will fly from Texas. You are 1/2
way there[:D]

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment
of animals" ~Immanuel Kant

texas yankee
LocoGringo Customer
  • Reward points: 176
RE: Barcelo versus Palladium ?? 2013/06/19 08:05:58 (permalink)
The prices are all for two people.

Life is good . . .
Steve77
Cooler Carrying Member
  • Total Posts : 115
  • Reward points: 1889
RE: Barcelo versus Palladium ?? 2013/06/19 09:14:39 (permalink)
my preference is the Barcelo. I have stayed at both and like the Barcelo more... even with the limited ala cartes... Snorkeling is better at the Barcelo and so are the pools...
BeachBilly
Ultimate Member
RE: Barcelo versus Palladium ?? 2013/06/19 09:32:28 (permalink)
I just replied to your pm and your box is full. And I wrote a book too[:(]

I have heard great things about the Barcelo as well. My husband demands some shade and the many palapas on the beach
were one of the selling points for us many years ago at the Palladium.I believe palm trees are the only shade option at the Barcelo beach.
We usually just do the buffet so the ala carte thing doesn't matter to us.

I would say you won't go wrong with either place.[:)]

Kwing
Ultimate Member
  • Total Posts : 8221
  • Reward points: 1990
RE: Barcelo versus Palladium ?? 2013/06/19 13:17:55 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: texas yankee

Any good reasons to NOT book Barcelo Tropical \ Colonial?

Thanks for any suggestions!

The only reason I would not book the Beach/Caribe side and "hope" for a free upgrade.........Book the Tropical, that way you're guaranteed. (I don't mean that to be snarky)

I'm with Beach Billy on the shade - there are plenty of palapas at the GP, also the GP has that fabulous Spa!

Either place is going to be wonderful though - enjoy[:)]
RLee
LocoGringo Customer
  • Total Posts : 1777
  • Reward points: 2026
RE: Barcelo versus Palladium ?? 2013/06/19 15:18:41 (permalink)
Don't they have a little tiny dolphin pool at the Barceló now?

Honestly, that would be enough to keep me away.

I love the GPK, food was great, rooms were very nice and lots of shade on the beach. Snorkeling was okay, not great but good enough. The dive shop was very professional, I did two great dives.

[/url]
beach4me
Cooler Carrying Member
  • Total Posts : 337
  • Reward points: 1503
RE: Barcelo versus Palladium ?? 2013/06/19 19:16:23 (permalink)
I've been to both Yankee and as long as it is not "spring break season" I would chose the Barceló.
RLee there is no dolphin (not even a small one) pool at the Barceló.

Love the Barceló except at Spring Break time... [:)]

RLee
LocoGringo Customer
  • Total Posts : 1777
  • Reward points: 2026
RE: Barcelo versus Palladium ?? 2013/06/20 15:43:47 (permalink)
My mistake, sorry. [:(] It's the Gran Bahia Principe that has the new dolphin pool.

Thanks beach for correcting me! [:D]

[/url]
crazybnch7
Ultimate Member
  • Total Posts : 7239
  • Reward points: 1685
RE: Barcelo versus Palladium ?? 2013/06/20 21:58:41 (permalink)
Reasons to pick the Palladium over the Beach/Caribe of the Barcelo

Rooms are nicer
Service is better
A/C in the Buffets..........the Buffets at the Beach\Caribe sections are inland in surrounded by jungle...you will sweat to death
Much better selection of food
Unlimited dinning options
Better drinks.......those sections of the Barcelo serve local gut rot and you have to pay $5 per drink to upgrade to a label you would recognize..you can pay a upgrade fee for the entire week but don't know off hand what that is.
Access to the ENTIRE resort...(except the adults only)..........you won't feel like the poor relative...excluded from certain bars and dinning options....at the Palladium...you can eat and drink where ever you like.....which means you a far more options available.....from sports bars..to quite bars...to cigar lounges.
Live music around the resort.....at the Barcelo I think they had a sad piano in the lobby that played itself.......no human required......at the Palladium you will have several options every night .......and these are not the shows.....just live musicians .
More Pools............Palladium has 11 ----you can choose rowdy....with bars and activities...to small and quiet ...hidden away...even a saltwater option and an infinity pool at the Spa
FREE access to an amazing water circuit at the spa.........a collection of steam rooms, cold plunge pools..heated Jacuzzi...water massage...bubble pools.....and a winding fun trip to the infinity pool.

I think you would get far more at the Palladium . Barcelo was likely the worst trip we have ever had to the area....we stayed at the Beach section and there were only two a la carte options available to us........both were bad.....no AC in the lobby or bars or buffet meant we spent so much time in our rooms just trying to get some break from the relentless humid heat........everything is located in from the beach breeze and hidden in lush foliage trapping the humidity and heat. There was one place to eat down by the beach....pretty cool..Captain Morgan I think it was called..a pirate ship theme......limited selection but we lived off the food we ate there as the buffet was just way to hot to feel like eating.
Sumgolf2
Cooler Carrying Member
  • Total Posts : 194
  • Reward points: 822
RE: Barcelo versus Palladium ?? 2013/06/21 07:43:53 (permalink)
I agree with Crazybunch7. I don't think the two resorts are equal in any way. The Palladium is superior in every way.

What Crazybunch said here is an exact report on my experience, too. After my first trip to Barcelo, I thought I didn't like large resorts. I thought they would all be like that one. Then, two years back, I found such a good deal to the Palladium that I decided to give a large AI another try. The difference was night and day. I would never return to Barcelo but, I'd go back to the Palladium in a minute.
post edited by Sumgolf2 - 2013/06/21 07:47:45

TomKatWpg
Cooler Carrying Member
  • Total Posts : 682
  • Reward points: 1678
RE: Barcelo versus Palladium ?? 2013/06/21 08:49:31 (permalink)
Now I am a bit scared.
We were seriously looking at the Barcelo as an option for October as it is about $35 per person per day less than the Palladium.
We love the GP, but $700 extra for 10 days had us leaning toward the Barcelo.
I guess we will keep watching

Tracie
Cooler Carrying Member
  • Total Posts : 1073
  • Reward points: 390
RE: Barcelo versus Palladium ?? 2013/06/21 09:16:17 (permalink)
I have been to the Barcelo 7x and the Palladium RM 5 Jamaica 1. The Palladium does have better service BUT the Barcelo has been good to us too. I usually base my decision on price. I try to go a few x a winter. Now for the Ultimate decision of my daughters wedding we chose the Palladium. It will be next June therefore I want a colder pool for my guests, no reservation system and great service. I just hope they don't get lost!! LOL. The Barcelos beach is far superior to me with easier and great snorkeling. It is easier to navigate the resort too. They do have good selections in the buffets. I'm not a big drinker on vacation so the booze doesn't matter too much to me. Hubby says as long as there is beer he's good. He has only been there once and loved it. He has been to the Palladium 2x and liked it. He's not picky. So I guess imsaying if you have the $$ and are picky stick with the Palladium but if you like to try something different and won't ruin your trip by comparing too much give the Barcelo a try! If you can upgrade to the Col but the Beach side is always hopping at the pool! Btw I do love their pools way more too! Any questions aks away and I hope I didn't cause more confusion. I have been to MANY other AI's too. These are in my top 3(Iberostar). Haven't done too many of of the $$$$$ ones. Just the Excellence (icky beach)! LoL

Actually in Akumal this time!! April 7th
Steve77
Cooler Carrying Member
  • Total Posts : 115
  • Reward points: 1889
RE: Barcelo versus Palladium ?? 2013/06/21 09:44:14 (permalink)
you cant go wrong with either... it all boils down to personal preference...

I prefer the Barcelo, the snorkeling, the beach, the layout...

I do not like the raised platforms at the Palladium, they are slippery when wet...
BeachBilly
Ultimate Member
RE: Barcelo versus Palladium ?? 2013/06/21 15:34:00 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: TomKatWpg

Now I am a bit scared.
We were seriously looking at the Barcelo as an option for October as it is about $35 per person per day less than the Palladium.
We love the GP, but $700 extra for 10 days had us leaning toward the Barcelo.
I guess we will keep watching

Don't forget...you get what you pay for![:D] October is a ways off. I bet there will be some specials. It seems like I get an email from them every other day.[:)]

cape cod ann
Cooler Carrying Member
  • Total Posts : 2147
  • Reward points: 697
RE: Barcelo versus Palladium ?? 2013/06/22 15:22:47 (permalink)
I saw some specials on the Palladium website starting in August and going into the Fall.
lovestravel
Cooler Carrying Member
  • Total Posts : 89
  • Reward points: 136
RE: Barcelo versus Palladium ?? 2013/06/23 18:29:24 (permalink)
We have been to both and love both. I think the look of the buildings at Barceló is prettier and I like their pools better (not as deep). What we liked about the Grand Palladium was the much friendlier and more helpful staff at the front desk, the easy availability of the à la cartes,( just show up), the music in the different lobbies at night, the wonderful spa and salt water pool. What we preferred about Barceló was its layout. The Grand Palladium seems really huge and not walkable from one section to all others. Food and drinks were great at both. Both have beautiful beaches but that Kantenah section has a very deep and shaded beach, nicer than Barceló's. I would go back to either.
Kwing
Ultimate Member
  • Total Posts : 8221
  • Reward points: 1990
RE: Barcelo versus Palladium ?? 2013/06/23 18:52:39 (permalink)
Here's that beautiful beach lovestravel mentioned

lovestravel
Cooler Carrying Member
RE: Barcelo versus Palladium ?? 2013/06/23 20:12:26 (permalink)
Yes, that is it. It is a drop dead gorgeous beach!! One other advantage to staying at the Grand Palladium I forgot to mention was the FREE wifi in all lobbies. Barceló charges daily unless you are Club Premium.
holliemollie
LocoGringo Customer
  • Total Posts : 107
  • Reward points: 592
RE: Barcelo versus Palladium ?? 2013/06/24 06:45:33 (permalink)
One thing to keep in mind about the buffets that are not air conditioned is that the time of year you go can make a big difference. We first went to RM in March, and stayed at an AI with an open buffet. We loved it and it was never too hot. Having said that, we would definitely not go back there in July!

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

jwierzbicki
Cooler Carrying Member
  • Total Posts : 134
  • Reward points: 1397
RE: Barcelo versus Palladium ?? 2013/06/24 13:18:39 (permalink)
Are you sure about Barcelo pricess?

Barcelo and GP are on our short list of RM resorts(good snorkeling is prerequisite). Your GP price is about right but Barcelo is much more expensive. ( I think that they have contract with Russians and they don't care about atracting us).
TomKatWpg
Cooler Carrying Member
  • Total Posts : 682
  • Reward points: 1678
RE: Barcelo versus Palladium ?? 2013/06/24 13:25:04 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: BeachBilly

Don't forget...you get what you pay for![:D] October is a ways off. I bet there will be some specials. It seems like I get an email from them every other day.[:)]

Hey BB,
Those sound like emails I would like to get. Did you need to sign up for them?
Hope to see you again this October, with a bit less rain than in 2011!
We went to Bahia Tulum last year, but like the Palladium much better.
I noticed on the Palladium reservation site there is a spot for discount codes but have never seen one...

lovestravel
Cooler Carrying Member
RE: Barcelo versus Palladium ?? 2013/06/24 14:57:48 (permalink)
Something we really loved at the GP was the small pool tucked away near the Kantenah section. It isn't adults only but we never saw kids there the two times we stayed there. It has its own bar and nice music playing. That is where one of the webcams is.
What we didn't like about this resort were all the bridges one would have to climb if staying on the Riviera or White Sands properties. The pontoon boat ride is lovely, though.
post edited by lovestravel - 2013/06/24 14:58:52
SnorkelQueen
Cooler Carrying Member
  • Reward points: 1103
RE: Barcelo versus Palladium ?? 2013/06/25 12:49:46 (permalink)
I've stayed at both multiple times, and done comparisons between the 2 previously on this site. I would not book Beach/Caribe until they get the buffets air conditioned and upgrade to more than 2 a la carte restaurants. I am a total wimp about air conditioning! I am told they are in the process of doing that now, as well as adding a children's water play area. The B/C rooms were recently upgraded and are probably fresher now than Colonial/Tropical, but you get 4 a la cartes at C/T and I think their food is good. My favorite Barcelo resort was the Palace, but you still don't get unlimited a la cartes. The snorkeling was really good toward the Palace end of the property and I saw at least 1 turtle every day while snorkeling. They also have lobster available in some of the restaurants without an upcharge. The pools are beautiful and very close to the beach, and while the beach does not have palapa huts there is plenty of shade available from the palm trees. One big downside is no free wifi, even in the lobby. This year the Palace was way out of my price range.

For that reason, this summer I am heading back to the Palladium to the newly renovated Kantenah section. The snorkeling is good there, a la cartes are unlimited with a pager system like you would find at restaurants in the US, and there is free wifi in the lobby. I don't think the food is quite as good as the Palace (don't be mad at me, it's just a personal opinion!) but I love that you can stay in any section of the Palladium and still eat at any restaurant except the one restaurant that is reserved for the Adult Only Yucatan Suites guests.

Bottom line - I really like both resorts and am happy to book whichever is more affordable, but I would not book the Beach/Caribe section of Barcelo until they get A/C in the buffets and add some a la cartes. For an October trip I would probably watch prices for another couple of months and maybe try to have something nailed down by the middle of August.
Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5