Just Booked Oasis Tulum

Author
Mynext50years
Cooler Carrying Member
  • Total Posts : 420
  • Reward points: 359
2013/06/07 06:03:50 (permalink)

Just Booked Oasis Tulum

Im so excited we are going to try out Oasis July 26th just to see what its like. Any advice welcome we are staying beach front regular!!!
megbel
  • Total Posts : 43
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Just Booked Oasis Tulum 2013/06/07 07:04:25 (permalink)
hi there-
we are headed to the resort very soon. I booked a grand garden room. although I would rather be right on the sand!
so excited !
meg
Noodle Lady
Cooler Carrying Member
  • Total Posts : 120
  • Reward points: 1765
RE: Just Booked Oasis Tulum 2013/06/07 19:08:31 (permalink)
Megbel - Just reread your posts and guess what - my husband is also from England. I am so happy for you - you guys will have a great time. If you want to get out of the resort, I would recommend Xcaret - your kids will love it. Go early and if possible, stay for the evening Maya show. It has something for everyone - zoo, aviary, aquarium, snorkeling, shows, dolphins, turtles, restaurants, boat rides, swimming underground river, butterly pavilion, all kinds of stuff that would be educational for the kids. Hope the weather cooperates - you could get some rain...Next 50 years - Can't wait to hear how you liked the oceanfront rooms. We stayed there in November and it's so cool being right on the beach. The rooms are original, so it's possible you may have a few problems but they do try hard to make you happy so you will be fine. Advice, take your own snorkeling gear.
megbel
RE: Just Booked Oasis Tulum 2013/06/08 09:02:44 (permalink)
thank you noodle lady-
hurrah for English gentlemen. I lived there for 11 years & both of our daughters were born there. I miss it!
I am CRAZED that we are going to have 10 days of rain in Akumal. I am watching the 10 day forecasts and it's looking awful.
i have booked a GRAND GARDEN room because that was all my budget would stretch too. I thought the GRAND rooms were the newer rooms. Now I am confused.
I booked through an online travel company because the package was cheaper..., but emailed the hotel directly a few days ago to request a late check in & a possible upgrade ( well be ther for our wedding anniversary...I figured I'd try, cheeky..I know!) the hotel has not responded.
I have read SO many bad reviews. I am terrified we will arrive to a nightmare of being told there is no room for us...
I am hoping the resort has sorted out the problems they seemed to have in April/May.
thanks for your wonderful input,
meg
Noodle Lady
Cooler Carrying Member
RE: Just Booked Oasis Tulum 2013/06/08 13:44:21 (permalink)
Megbel, Don't worry the Grand garden rooms are new - they have inset balconies. As far as an upgrade goes, when you get there, let them know it's your anniversary and ask if it's possible to give you an upgrade, either oceanview or oceanfront. I don't think it would be a big deal as this is probably really low season. Unfortunately you are going in the rainy season but hope you have some sunny days. Don't let it put a damper on your holiday! We are going back mid November and it's always nice then, so next time you may want to plan a dryer time of year. In any event you will have a great adventure.
uphillklimber
Ultimate Member
  • Total Posts : 6936
  • Reward points: 2329
RE: Just Booked Oasis Tulum 2013/06/08 17:22:49 (permalink)
We are here now, met some nice folks here. If you are oceanfront in the grand, you'll need ground level for windows that open or patios. The upper levels have fixed windows and no balconies.

PS Great snorkeling and lots of pineapple on the buffets.

Lovin life,
Bob

megbel
RE: Just Booked Oasis Tulum 2013/06/09 09:05:05 (permalink)
how's the weather bob?
uphillklimber
Ultimate Member
  • Total Posts : 6936
  • Reward points: 2329
RE: Just Booked Oasis Tulum 2013/06/09 20:59:19 (permalink)
After Wednesday, it has been partly cloudy every day, real nice, actually. Real interesting that every single day, we check the weather channel, it has always been the very same forecast: first two days is dissipating clouds to sunshine with rain the third day. Only thing is the third (rainy) day has never arrived. The weather has been great. We are actually hiding in our room from the heat mid day.

Lovin life,
Bob

shape shifter 47
Administrator
  • Total Posts : 10341
  • Reward points: 1852
RE: Just Booked Oasis Tulum 2013/06/09 21:48:08 (permalink)
My son and his family arrived at the Grand Oasis yesterday...hope they have a good time.....[:D]

gary "coolerman" & martha
Banking off of a northeast wind, sailing on a summer breeze
Mynext50years
Cooler Carrying Member
RE: Just Booked Oasis Tulum 2013/06/10 06:29:32 (permalink)
Noodle Lady, you are the one that pushed me over the edge for Oasis. Been an avid ABR person but time for a change. I will be bring my own snorkel gear. Also agree with you Xcaret is a lot of fun even if you dont have kids. Will let you know how it goes in the ocean front rooms no upgrade for me.
ORIGINAL: Noodle Lady

Megbel - Just reread your posts and guess what - my husband is also from England. I am so happy for you - you guys will have a great time. If you want to get out of the resort, I would recommend Xcaret - your kids will love it. Go early and if possible, stay for the evening Maya show. It has something for everyone - zoo, aviary, aquarium, snorkeling, shows, dolphins, turtles, restaurants, boat rides, swimming underground river, butterly pavilion, all kinds of stuff that would be educational for the kids. Hope the weather cooperates - you could get some rain...Next 50 years - Can't wait to hear how you liked the oceanfront rooms. We stayed there in November and it's so cool being right on the beach. The rooms are original, so it's possible you may have a few problems but they do try hard to make you happy so you will be fine. Advice, take your own snorkeling gear.

megbel
RE: Just Booked Oasis Tulum 2013/06/10 07:12:37 (permalink)
Xcaret is on the top of our list!
glad to hear the weather is getting better. I shall not tempt fate, but will keep my fingers crossed.
I have emailed the GOT but still not had a reply. I have read so many reviews about people having issues at check in & I am loathed to have that happen.
cheers,
megbel
8man
Cooler Carrying Member
  • Total Posts : 125
RE: Just Booked Oasis Tulum 2013/06/10 07:13:02 (permalink)
Crappy room-no problem stay on the beach,,,, crappy weather -stay underwater,,,,,crappy food-drink more tequila !!!
Vacation is a state of mind !!!

Mark
megbel
RE: Just Booked Oasis Tulum 2013/06/10 18:32:24 (permalink)
I admire your attitude, and agree in theory, BUT I want what I want...
Noodle Lady
Cooler Carrying Member
RE: Just Booked Oasis Tulum 2013/06/10 20:15:08 (permalink)
Megbel, They're not going to email you back. They can't commit to anything until you check in. Just relax, those reports of problems with check in are pretty far fetched. The only time something like that would ever happen would be if the resort was 100% occupied. I don't believe everything I read on TA. I asked the manager about that when we checked in and he doesn't even know where that came from. When you get there they will do whatever they can to make you happy so chill out and don't worry.
Mynext50years
Cooler Carrying Member
RE: Just Booked Oasis Tulum 2013/06/11 07:13:56 (permalink)
You are so right 8man.....,vacation is a state of mind and you make it what it is.....if problems checking in go have a drink and come back enjoy the view and relax it all works out
ORIGINAL: 8man

Crappy room-no problem stay on the beach,,,, crappy weather -stay underwater,,,,,crappy food-drink more tequila !!!
Vacation is a state of mind !!!

Mark

megbel
RE: Just Booked Oasis Tulum 2013/06/11 09:30:30 (permalink)
noodle lady, I am arriving very late on 6/18. we land after 9pm and we are self driving, SO I needed to confirm a late check in.
is that not done in Mexico? we travel often and hotels usually return emails in regards to such things.
I don't expect them to upgrade us, just hold our room.
hopefully it's going to be quiet, as it's low season, but it's a small place with a good rate and people are booking...
I intend to relax when I get there.
thanks,
meg
Noodle Lady
Cooler Carrying Member
RE: Just Booked Oasis Tulum 2013/06/11 11:06:52 (permalink)
Megbel, Did you book through an online website, i.e. ****, expedia, etc. If you booked air and hotel together, the hotel should have your itinerary. You should call the booking website's 800 # and they can make a notation on your reservation that you will be a late arrival, along with any other special requests. If you email the hotel directly, they may not have your reservation information and it may get lost in the shuffle. Also, english is not their first language. They have guests coming in from all over the world, at all hours so there will be someone at the front desk. Just make sure you have a copy of your reservation with the confirmation number, as well as the booking website's phone number on speed dial just in case there is a problem, they can sort it out. This is low season so I'd be surprised if it was even half full. When we were there in May, the Grand side was practically deserted. Be aware the restaurants at the hotel will be closed when you get there. I would imagine you should arrive 11:30 -12. By the time you get through customs, get your rent a car, should take about an hour 15 min. to get to hotel. Once you see the sign for Akumal, keep going another 2-3 miles, you will see the sign for Oasis Tulum, once past the hotel, look out for the retorno on the left lane, which is a sharp u turn and go back to the hotel, get a good night's sleep and enjoy yourself!
megbel
RE: Just Booked Oasis Tulum 2013/06/14 13:17:43 (permalink)
Thanks so much noodle lady.
I appreciate all your great info. I booked with OR$&Z and requested a late check in and all that jazz. fingers crossed all will go smoothly.
if the weather clears up we'll be laughing.
cheers,
meg
Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5