Catalonia maya hotel

Author
IN MPLS BILL
  • Total Posts : 42
  • Reward points: 0
2012/10/11 21:47:46 (permalink)

Catalonia maya hotel

Hi got back last sat nite to mpls 42* here cold very left mexico it was 90* I guess winter is going to happen this year not a lot of info on this hotel anywhere on the web so here is what I saw stayed 9days seen all that there is to see they rate this hotel as 4 to 5 stars must be the hotel saying that not even close I would say it is closer to 2 to 3 stars at best hotel is very old 20+ years it is very nice the beach the pool and staff working there!!!!! But !!!!!! the food the booze are not very good this is only low cost booze they will pour you from bottle under bar if you do not ask for better it is the same home made mexico booze that you can get for 3 or 4 dollars at store not very good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the other brands are not that great Food same thing every night never changes and not that good very bland try the grill by pool for something a little better but this also dose not change day to day when you pay the kind of money they get it just dose not add up to a good service!!!!!!! Rooms we stayed in a standard room no min bar did not miss it we stayed there because it is the only rooms you can smoke in this is where I do not understand the rules I saw people smoking out side there rooms all over just not in rooms balconeys hallways you can only smoke in 2 bars outside they have 5 or 6 bars what the #%$# they make it very hard to find a ashtray around the pool and beachs the was room cleaned very well by help we always leave 2 dollars a day tip I dont think room has been painted in 10 years maybe more bathroom was good beds hard as rocks!!!!!!! this is normall for mexico front desk not allways very helpful it took a long time to get any info or reponds from them go to guest srevices much better!!!!!!!!!!! they mexican staff are great as always be kind and tip them this hotel has new way to pay the help they get a % for how full the hotel is when we were there hotel was 42% full help was beening payed $6.00 DOLLARS a day not very good for something they have no way of cotrolling hotel is getting a very good deal for themself as I said I dont think they have spent any money on resort for a long time they sure dont spend any on food or booze!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am not saying dont go to this hotel we had a very good time just dont know if you upgrade to better room it is a good thing by the way puerto aventuras is as safe and nice as you can get feel good about going to this place even with kids!!!!!!!!!!! I have been to mexico 12 to 14? times in the last 10 years I have seen better for less money and have seen worst too the other hotels there looked good from what I could see PLEASE POEPLE TIP THE HELP 5 TO 10 DOLLARS A DAY MAKES A BIG CHANGE TO THEIR LIFE AND I KNOW YOU CAN AFORD IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
crunch
Ultimate Member
  • Total Posts : 29470
  • Reward points: 1971
RE: Catalonia maya hotel 2012/10/12 06:55:44 (permalink)
6 bucks a day for all the work they do. Amazing. I don't know how they manage and yet always look so clean and neat and have a smile on their face.
arkansasgurl
Cooler Carrying Member
  • Total Posts : 330
RE: Catalonia maya hotel 2012/10/12 08:55:34 (permalink)
I am not sure which hotel you stayed at...was it the Catalonia Playa Maroma or Catalonia Riviera Maya? 

Our experience was really disappointing in  May at Catalonia Playa Maroma (before we got transferred to Catalonia Royal Tulum).  The beach is the best thing CPM has going for it.  We stayed in a privilege room, but we were forced to disagree with Eduardo for literally THREE hours before finally agreeing to stay in a room lesser than what was promised to us.  They lied to us 3+ times and it really left a bad taste in our mouth.

On our third day, there was a power outtage and the hotel voluntarily upgraded anyone who wanted to the Catalonia Royal Tulum.....is actually in Xpu Ha.  That resort was stunning, the restaurants were much better.  The beach  at the Royal was still excellent, although, there is a reason why Maroma beach is frequently noted in the top 10 in the world.

We tipped constantly in both places.  On our last morning, we made a sizeable tip directly to the omelet lady who had been the one to make our omelets every day for 7 days.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

IN MPLS BILL
  • Total Posts : 42
RE: Catalonia maya hotel 2012/10/12 09:34:21 (permalink)
Hi we were at the MAYA in PUERTO AVENTURAS also none of the resorts in mexico pay more than $10 to $20 dollors a day to any of the help THAT IS WHY IT IS IMPORTANT TO TIP THEM FOR THE HARD WORK THEY DO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! they do get to eat but get really no other benefits
arkansasgurl
Cooler Carrying Member
  • Total Posts : 330
RE: Catalonia maya hotel 2012/10/12 10:39:28 (permalink)
I enjoy tipping, and the people who work at the resorts definitely seem very appreciative in the Riviera Maya. 

I don't know if this is true, but I had read things that lead me to believe if you tip out in the open such as in the restaurant...they have to 'share' them at the end of the shift....split with everyone on the shift. 

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

RLee
LocoGringo Customer
  • Total Posts : 1777
  • Reward points: 2026
RE: Catalonia maya hotel 2012/10/12 10:53:54 (permalink)
So you stayed at the resort that is referred to as the CAT on here, I think. It is 2 resorts, the Yucatan and the Maya.

We stayed there 5 - 6 years ago and really enjoyed it. We were in the Yucatan side. The room didn't have a fridge and over looked the pool but was clean and up to date. There is no beach to speak of, it's in a little cove that it shares with another Resort, it was the Sunscape, but I think it's changed its name.
There is a little lagoon there that is great for kids learning to snorkel.
Food and drink were good when we were there. I don't remember them using cheap booze and we loved the Italian Ala Carte and the Crepe place.

As far as tipping goes, Yes tip. They work very hard and deserve it but . . . don't compare them making $6 a day to you making $6 a day.

Last year we spoke with a guy who was selling jet ski rides at the Palladium. He said that the cost of living for the average working Mexican in the Mayan is very very low. He said it always surprises him how tourists compare their lifestyles, costs and needs to his and his friends. He said he and his family have always had a nice clean dry house, lots of food and clothing. His children are receiving a good education and they don't need big screen TVs, or IPads, or Game boys, ect. He said his biggest luxury is a cell phone and the only calls he gets are from his boss about what time he's going to be picked up.
He said that he bought his wife a washer and dryer and she doesn't use them. She prefers to get together with her sisters and friends on wash day and do it all by hand. It's a social thing!

[/url]
angella
Cooler Carrying Member
  • Total Posts : 66
RE: Catalonia maya hotel 2012/10/12 21:56:21 (permalink)
hello we r going back to akumel 4th time there , but we have never been to yal ku lagoon any suggestions??
Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5