Is there a doctor in the house?

Author
DragynJ
LocoGringo Customer
  • Total Posts : 223
2011/03/16 17:42:54 (permalink)

Is there a doctor in the house?

Dad has had a lump on his neck better part of a year. Doc finally recommended getting it looked at, he had surgery to remove it this morning. Turns out it was cancerous. [:@][:@][:@]

He's resting now, it wasn't a major surgery, but he's down playing it (just as he did when he had prostate cancer 5+ years ago. . . ). My mom passed on the official name of the diagnosis from the doc, but I can't find any good information on the web. Keratinizius (not sure the spelling is right there) Squamous Cell Carcinoma. He's not a smoker (smoked in his 20's, now is 60, but lived with my mom who smoked) but does like his beer. From what I read this is alcohol and tabacco related.

The only thing I CAN'T find is how treatable this is!!!!!!! I'm 1,200 miles away from him and I'm ready to hop in a car tomorrow to go see him. What I really want to know though is how bad it is, because, like I said before, he'll down play it to me and say "ahh, it's nothing."

Thanks in advance for any help!
Pat from Ottawa
Cooler Carrying Member
  • Total Posts : 1235
RE: Is there a doctor in the house? 2011/03/16 18:06:04 (permalink)
Sorry i can't be of any help but here's hoping your dad is right and it's nothing.

“When preparing to travel, lay out all your clothes and all your money. Then take half the clothes and twice the money”.
maplesyrup
LocoGringo Customer
  • Total Posts : 2547
RE: Is there a doctor in the house? 2011/03/16 18:31:44 (permalink)
Dragyn, I'm with Pat in that I can't offer any advice on your dad's prognosis, but want you to know that prayers from any and every corner can do wonders for the fight ahead! Sending our thoughts for your dad, and you too. My FIL kicked "C's" butt for 17 years!

Xelly
LocoGringo Customer
  • Total Posts : 13244
RE: Is there a doctor in the house? 2011/03/16 19:22:58 (permalink)
Sorry for this. Anything cancerous is so scary. WHY ON EARTH DID IT TAKE BETTER THAN A YEAR FOR HIS DOC TO FINALLY REFER HIM???? FOR HEAVEN'S SAKE! THAT IS JUST WRONG![sm=hammer.gif]

Good Karma and prayers coming your way [sm=love.png]

To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift.
Steve Prefontaine

John in DC
LocoGringo Customer
  • Total Posts : 3848
RE: Is there a doctor in the house? 2011/03/16 19:43:06 (permalink)
I am no medical expert, but squamous cell carcinoma sounds like a skin cancer. Sun might be the most likely culprit, not smoking or drinking.

Soliman Bay ~~ Playa

crazybnch7
Ultimate Member
  • Total Posts : 7239
RE: Is there a doctor in the house? 2011/03/16 20:25:38 (permalink)
I have no information about the prognosis........but from a person who lost a very loved on recently.............I say........got see your dad....even if it is a good prognosis................you won't  regret it........and if it is not so good.......you will be glad you did.  
dona0706
Cooler Carrying Member
  • Total Posts : 978
RE: Is there a doctor in the house? 2011/03/16 21:54:08 (permalink)
My dad was diagnosed with the same thing about 18 months ago. He had skin cancer on his ear about 5 years ago. They removed part of the ear and declared him cancer free. About 18 months ago, a lump developed on his neck, behind his ear. They removed it and it was cancerous. Told him that they had gotten everything. About 6 months ago it came back, this time it is inoperable because it is pressing on the carotid artery and has paralyzed the right side of his face. He did go through 3 chemo treatments - the first for 3 hours, the second for 2 hours and the last for 1 hour. It kicked his butt and the doctor seems to think it helped with the tumor. But he's 92 and his body really can't take any more chemo.

My advice? Really be proactive about this. We weren't. Make sure you keep checking it and if anything grows back, make sure you take him to the doctor immediately.

My other advice???? Go and see him, no matter what he says.

Wishing him a successful recovery and you lots to time to spend with him.

Donna

crunch
Ultimate Member
  • Total Posts : 29470
RE: Is there a doctor in the house? 2011/03/17 07:42:25 (permalink)
I am happy to do some research from legitimate web sites for you, but first I need to know if this is keratinzed squamous cell skin cancer?
DragynJ
LocoGringo Customer
RE: Is there a doctor in the house? 2011/03/17 09:50:13 (permalink)
Crunch, I think it is,yes. But, everything I turn up turns out to be skin cancer? Not sure it is or it isn't.

I finally got to talk to dad last night. He was on some pain meds and resting at home and sounded fine. He said that the doc was pretty confident that they got it all and he'll go visit the oncologist in a couple weeks when this heals up.

Planning a trip out there, possibly next weekend. I'm going to look at the flight options as driving would cost about as much as to fly for one person. Plus we have some miles that I could use to help out!

Thanks for the kind words and the advice everyone!
DragynJ
LocoGringo Customer
RE: Is there a doctor in the house? 2011/03/28 10:07:45 (permalink)
UPDATE

Driving from WA State to ND next weekend to see dad! Pretty pumped up, but it's going to be a loooooong drive (taking the kids with by myself without my wife! [&:]). Weather looks good and shouldn't get stranded anywhere (knock on wood). Too bad I don't get frequent driver miles for this :).

We're suprising mom and dad in North Dakota that should help him in his healing process!!! Laughter is the best medicine!
Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5