2009/01/02 00:10:45
Whale

Having Trouble Posting Photos?

Once again we have upgraded the software so these instructions may or may not not work as expected. As soon as I can I'll try to revise them. If you are having trouble with posting photos, I have revised the Posting Photos Movie on this page. Bonnie noticed that it didn't seem to work like the movie said. That is because the procedure changed a little with the new LocoGringo software which was installed after the original movie was made, so today, I have revised the movie to fit the new software. If you still can't get it figured out after watching the new movie, just ask here and we will help you figure it out.  

The new movie is fairly large so depending on the speed of your connection it may take a while to load. Enjoy!

"Don't listen to what they say. Go see." ~ Chinese proverb
"When you see, you will know" ~ Old Thurman proverb

80 comments Leave a comment
cuarto visita
thanks soo much for your great tutorial. This forum is fantastic.
2009/01/10 21:54:15
gotogirl
Even with your post, I am still having trouble posting a pix. Ccropped my 89kb photo but it is still 89kb. Tried to post a 5 kb pix but said it was the wrong size. Seems to take too much effort. Any tips or tricks?
2009/01/10 22:19:31
Whale
gotogirl, if you are using Windows XP here is the best way I have found for resizing. http://forums.locogringo.com/forums/fb.asp?m=271306

If you aren't using XP you will have to find a program to resize your photos. Picasa from www.Picasa.com (from Google) also works well but there are others. Or you can upload your photos to a photo hosting website like Photobucket and link to them (note: Some sites will not let you link).

Cropping a picture reduces the physical size of the photo but not necessarily the file size that it takes up on your disk. Both need to be reduced to post a photo. The physical size needs to be no bigger than 640 X 480 pixels and the file size needs to be no bigger than 80 K. Using a hosting srvice takes care of both of these, as do both of the programs mentioned above.   
2009/01/13 10:55:43
wetone
How "new" is this method of posting picts? I have been posting photos for a couple years using Picasa and all worked fine last week ---yesterday I couldn't get my posted thumbnail to post to a larger size.  The original photo was sized correctly. After I copied my URL and hit the edit button----hit my properties button----paste would not illuminate or function. Strange-----I'm sorry for the hijack but it is bumping the link for more doggie photos

Worked fine for me. I suspect a temporary glitch in the software or the internet. Try it again.
Whale
2009/01/15 08:51:54
ellied
Hi Whale,

I downloaded your video instructions, which were very helpful, and on the following thread (last post 2/10) I was able to insert a full size (per forum specs) photo into a test post:

http://forums.locogringo.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1008819

It was OK for a day, but when I pull up the post now, I can see the large shot from Tortuga Tom, but all that is in my "test again" post is a box with a red X.  The original photo is in a picasa web gallery.  Any ideas on why it doesn't show up on subsequent viewings?

I want to make sure I have this photo insert process figured out before I post my trip report.

Thanks

Ellie
2009/02/17 18:52:57
Tequila and Sunrise
Hello Friend, we have followed your video for posting our photos on our profile. We even went to the extreme of reducing our photos down to 1% and it was still rejected as too large- can you help please ?
Sorry for not being computer literate ![sm=hammer.gif]
2009/03/03 11:18:54
mtbikechic
Whale,

Has anybody ever told you that YOU ARE THE MAN!!!  I watched the tutorial and I am now posting pictures like a pro, well sort of like a pro.  ha ha!   Thanks.

Julie
2009/04/10 12:55:47
mtbikechic
Something to remember when you are posting pictures:  Remember that when you are copying the URL for the picture you want to post (using Picasa) right click the actual picture and copy.  Do not use the link that is on the right side of the picture.  (I did that several times until I figured it out).  After I copied the correct URL, my pictures posted great. 
2009/04/10 13:03:50
Whale
Hello Friend, we have followed your video for posting our photos on our profile. We even went to the extreme of reducing our photos down to 1% and it was still rejected as too large- can you help please ?

Remember that when resizing pictures for posting there are two things to consider. The physical size of the picture needs to be no bigger than about 640 x 480 pixels and the file size when you save the photo needs to be no bigger than 80k. If either one of these is bigger than these parameters you will probably get a "file to large" error.

If you are using Windows XP (XP only) go here for an easy way to do both at the same time. 
2009/04/17 23:54:42
movie fan
Whale:
Just got a new laptop that has VISTA.  Any words of help for photos with this op sys
2009/04/23 00:55:07
Whale
ORIGINAL: movie fan

Whale:
Just got a new laptop that has VISTA.  Any words of help for photos with this op sys

You might try this way. http://www.sizlopedia.com/2008/03/24/quickly-resize-photos-and-images-in-windows-vista/ If you use this method use the smallest size, 640 X 480.

There are also a bunch of photo resizing programs you can download from the web. If you have Microsoft Office there is also one in there, or Paint still works for Vista..
2009/04/24 09:24:37
movie fan
Thanks Whale.
I'll have to give it a go.
Once again...You Da Man!
2009/04/26 01:43:45
NEChem
Whale,

Looking for some help. I watched the video on how to post a picture in the thread and it seems pretty straight forward, however when I am at the reply to message page I do not have all of the icons listed in your video. Mainly I am missing the toolbar where you use the icon to add image. I do have a button that states "image" and some others. Maybe this has something to do with scripted images and a setting with my computer. Any idea how to correct the problem? I could send you a screan shot or something to help. Will work on this and see if I can figure out...really want to figure out how to add photos as we have trip reports that we would like to add.

Thanks for you time...LG is Awesome.

Just a little bit more when I do click on the image icon I just get:
[image][/image][image][/image]
2009/09/06 19:23:06
NEChem
OK whatever it was I have the functions now.  So then I have another question that maybe I will work through as well.  What is the average size of the images on the site?  I see people post a bunch of photos on the trip reports and all of that, but then the size of images is limited to 1000 in the photo gallery...maybe this is were you use photo bucket or some other place to store the images.  Will see...thanks

See this image is pretty small in the post??
2009/09/06 20:38:13
srigney
Where do I find the video?
2009/09/28 10:08:35
Whale
Lots of movies and tips on photos HERE. For the specific video referred to above see the first post in this thread.
2009/10/12 15:28:50
funcampin
test
2009/11/06 10:40:46
peacenjoy

Testing
2009/11/15 22:18:20
piloto jorge
Thanks soooo much....since I'm a dumb man, I've had trouble forever downloading my twins as my pic. Note: I had to resize it to the cell phone size and it worked right away.
Felicidades, jorge
2009/12/11 15:53:47
pmidman1995
test #3
2009/12/21 14:32:24
pmidman1995
test #4
2009/12/21 14:39:55
GorditoHombre
Testing, after a fresh Picasa download.

Pic is from 2007 at Sandos Playacar- a pelican being the "karate kid":

2010/01/18 20:04:43
GorditoHombre
Testing- Try #2 (first test only came out as a thumbnail):

By Jove, I think I've got it!  Had to watch a 2nd video on thumbnail resizing!

Thanks LG and Whale for the help!
2010/01/18 20:14:02
Cheesehead
Testing posting more than one photo in the same message.

Lobby

[Well, that didn't work.]

2010/02/28 15:09:22
Cheesehead
2nd try

2010/02/28 15:17:39
Whale
You can't upload more than one image to a post directly. To post two or more you have to upload them to a hosting service such as Photobucket or put them into a LocoGringo photo album. Then you can copy the address and use the photo link above the message to insert them.
2010/02/28 15:28:51
beachma
Ok...why can't I figure out how to create an album...I keep going to photo albums but I can't find the option to create a new album??? 
2010/03/10 08:39:06
xmidnightx
Whale,

Nice video for us dumbells that can't seem to get it right. Even after all that I'm having difficulties~Does the new Windows 7 cause any problems? I can't get the picture dimensions down to the required size and the KB I can.

HELP ADVICE NEEDED!

Amy

ORIGINAL: Whale

If you are having trouble with posting photos, I have revised the Posting Photos Movie on this page. Bonnie noticed that it didn't seem to work like the movie said. That is because the procedure changed a little with the new LocoGringo software which was installed after the original movie was made, so today, I have revised the movie to fit the new software. If you still can't get it figured out after watching the new movie, just ask here and we will help you figure it out.  

The new movie is fairly large so depending on the speed of your connection it may take a while to load. Enjoy!

2010/03/15 13:06:35
xmidnightx
FINS UP just gave me this helpful link and it worked like a charm take a look (you need to change the size to: 145x145) and good to go : http://www.shrinkpictures.com/create-avatar/

You can't upload more than one image to a post directly. To post two or more you have to upload them to a hosting service such as Photobucket or put them into a LocoGringo photo album. Then you can copy the address and use the photo link above the message to insert them.

2010/03/15 13:40:28
zazz
Thanks I just used this site to make an avatar!! Woohoo! I'm such a computer illiterate.....This site is great. Now I'm going to test for a pic in a text :

Thanks Whale for the thumbnail tutorial!! You guys rock! I'm so happy now I'll be able to post my trip report and add pics in the report.....
2010/03/18 15:02:27
zazz
EUREUKA!!!

I thought I was truly going to crash and burn!! But thanks to that re-size web site posted by xmidnightx and to that thumbnail tutorial from Whale I feel like a pro!

Not too bad for an old gal.....

2010/03/18 15:16:15
beach asap
Dear Whale,
It took us a few tries to finaly get our avatar and ticker. Your tutorials were very helful and easy to understand.
Check out our ticker...
beach asap
2010/05/10 21:07:36
beach asap
OUPS! did something wrong...
Now we got it!
2010/05/10 21:08:56
LTS40
Boy, I was having a heck of a time trying to get my avatar (files were always too big!!)
A great BIG thank you to xmidnightx for posting that link.............Thanks!! [sm=y-happy.png]!!
2010/07/04 16:58:11
panesh
I have resized the photos usiing photobucket, picasa etc. but when I copy the link it won't display the paste option when I open the upload window on LG. Nothing is highlighted in my right click box except "select all". I have tried just copying the picture with copy, copy shortcut and copying the link on the other site. When I open the upload box here the paste option is not available. What the heck am I doing wrong?
Thanks,
Neal
2010/09/12 15:10:23
Iowa Tom and Ann
Hi. I downloaded what you said but I still cannot get a photo on my profile. I'm not very tech minded so I need easy instructions. Can you help me, please?
2011/02/09 11:06:06
Iowa Tom and Ann
Hi. I downloaded Picasa and I watched the video. I did everything as you said, but my file was still too large. I resized it to the smallest possible size on Picasa when I exported it and it is still 32 instead of 30. Can you please help me?
Ann
2011/02/10 10:59:11
crunch
ORIGINAL: Iowa Tom and Ann

Hi. I downloaded Picasa and I watched the video. I did everything as you said, but my file was still too large. I resized it to the smallest possible size on Picasa when I exported it and it is still 32 instead of 30. Can you please help me?
Ann

Much easier to sue this avatar sizer:

http://www.shrinkpictures.com/create-avatar/

set it for 145pixels x 145 (click on my avatar & you will see it in the properties)

Then just download it to "my pictures" and you can put it in your profile.  Just hit "apply" at the end.

Hope that helps!
2011/02/10 13:21:14
Iowa Tom and Ann
Thank you so much! Shrink pictures is great and it was so easy! So much for spending hours screwing around with anything else!!!! Thanks again!
2011/02/11 19:52:49
twisted
For the life of me, I can't see where it says to start a new thread arghhhhhhhh
2011/02/28 07:16:34
Whale
To start a new thread just click New Post as in the image below.

2011/03/02 19:37:09
caribbean_queen

Remember that when resizing pictures for posting there are two things to consider. The physical size of the picture needs to be no bigger than about 640 x 480 pixels and the file size when you save the photo needs to be no bigger than 80k.

I resized my avatar using Picasa, however I was only allowed to use a size of 145x145 with a max of 20K. Anything bigger and I got the error message stating that file is too big. Wondering I can't use the parameters that have been mentioned by
Whale?
2011/07/23 00:08:48
klraus
Can someone help with photo ID? On this site when you are looking at the Tulum slide show, what is the place with white day beds on the beach? I have looked at all the resort photos. Maybe it is a restaurant?
2011/09/01 10:54:20
Kwing

ORIGINAL: klraus

Can someone help with photo ID? On this site when you are looking at the Tulum slide show, what is the place with white day beds on the beach? I have looked at all the resort photos. Maybe it is a restaurant?

I'm gonna say

http://www.anayjosebeachclub.com/
2011/09/19 16:23:36
klraus
I belive that it is, thank you. I can't open the site in English, only Spanish. Interesting that the photo shows the beds are laid out like a giant Beach Dorm with no shade. Too bad.
2011/09/28 16:20:41
Tangerine
SO FRUSTRATED - no matter what I try, cannot get a profile photograph to upload - always says file is too large even though it has been adjusted to 57kb into a new folder. Ugh!!
2011/11/14 23:17:33
water baby
sorry, Whale- Another person having difficulties still- I have an album in the galleries with one picture. when I try to do my post, there is no add image icon or box to click on. so i tried the clear box that says "image". Right clicked on it to paste the address of my pic, which came up. clicked ok to post, and only the address is visible...[:-] when I right click on the highlighted address, nothing happens-have tried numerous different things
2011/12/31 13:22:06
angella
[:@]im having trouble downsizing picture
2012/01/25 19:38:40
crunch
Angella,

For your avatar or a picture you want to post?  I can help you do it the easy way...
2012/01/26 07:19:01
rockyram21
I'm trying to post a photo but am still having problems.Using picasa I can get the size down to 15kb but the pic is tiny.If I leave the pixels at 640x480 the size is about 60kb and when I try to upload it my post it says file too big.But when I look at other peeps pics and right click to properties their file sizes are way over 20kb.What gives?Am I that thick?
2012/02/11 20:04:31
tendebar

ORIGINAL: rockyram21

I'm trying to post a photo but am still having problems.Using picasa I can get the size down to 15kb but the pic is tiny.If I leave the pixels at 640x480 the size is about 60kb and when I try to upload it my post it says file too big.But when I look at other peeps pics and right click to properties their file sizes are way over 20kb.What gives?Am I that thick??

I have the same trouble. . Main reason for no trip reports of my last 9 trips . Karen
2012/02/16 00:51:54
snowgoddess402
Tried 5 times to post a profile foto. No luck. [sm=kopete016.png] failed the IQ test.
2012/10/20 20:08:37
dorchrislen
I failed too. I am so techno-challenged. I guess it's good I don't own an underwater camera, since I'll not know how to post my pics. I can't even seem to get pics uploaded on Facebook. [8|]
2013/03/26 21:59:09
crunch
Go here to shrink your picture to the right size: http://www.shrinkpictures.com/create-avatar/ and save it to tour hard drive.

Then go into your profile and load your picture into the profile where it tells you to.

Then go down to the bottom of your profile and hit "apply".

That should do it.
2013/03/27 07:04:01
dorchrislen
Oh my gosh, Crunch, you rock! I was able to do a ticker AND an Avatar based on your simple instructions. Thank you SO much!!
2013/03/27 17:47:28
crunch
Your welcome - it looks great!
2013/03/29 08:38:54
gazoo and wilma
picture check?
2013/04/10 10:27:32
1runjuan

ORIGINAL: gazoo and wilma

picture check?

need any tips?
I see a lot of peeps have issues with the sizing of their avi pics.
that is a tough one. we used both picassa and paint.the process
can be confusing. there are tips all over the forum .[:)]
2013/04/10 10:35:14
gazoo and wilma
try try again
2013/04/10 10:36:24
gazoo and wilma
i am trying to get my profile picture of my dog larger. i had to resize it and this was the biggest i could resize it with it accepting it. i need a teenager . unfortunatly mine grew up and moved out.
2013/04/10 10:41:09
gazoo and wilma
1 more try then i will hire one , i promise. well maybe.
2013/04/10 10:48:57
gazoo and wilma
here we go again
2013/04/10 11:13:25
1runjuan
bigger?
nice doggie and the grass looks divine.......[sm=beaming.gif]
2013/04/10 11:17:53
crunch
Gazoo,

You just need to re-set your avatar size to 145 and then it will be the size of the rest of ours.
2013/04/10 12:58:19
gazoo and wilma
not to complicate things but do you mean by using some thing like paint? if so i did that and that was the biggest size i could get it with it being accepted , any larger and it would say file to large. but i tried again. in set up profile photo do i enter something in Enter URL if so what do i put there
2013/04/11 10:49:15
crunch
No. That is way too hard! Use this:

http://www.shrinkpictures.com/create-avatar/
2013/04/11 10:52:20
1runjuan
WHOA, that's is way easy...........[:)]
needed this months ago.[:D]
2013/04/11 11:16:10
crunch

ORIGINAL: 1runjuan

WHOA, that's is way easy...........[:)]
needed this months ago.[:D]

All you had to do was ask.....................[:D]
2013/04/11 12:32:26
gazoo and wilma
thanks crunch. size is much better! now its a little blurry? any thoughts on this? also i think will be at the palladium when youns are in cozumel. maybe we will pass at the airport. we leave a month from today.
2013/04/12 14:55:43
1runjuan

thanks crunch. size is much better! now its a little blurry? any thoughts on this? also i think will be at the palladium when youns are in cozumel. maybe we will pass at the airport. we leave a month from today.

youns?......[:D][:D][:D] I know where your from.[;)]
pixilation . as you keep resizing you mess with pixel count and
thus quality. this was messin with us too. so we start from square 1 and
resize keeping in mind pic quality . I believe if you resize once and resize again
your resizing from your last resize not the original. make any sense?[sm=loco.gif]
oh, now I dizzy....[:D][:D]
crunch.... I love banging my head against the wall, then asking for help.
drives the DW crazy , er uh, crazier.[;)]
2013/04/12 16:51:24
gazoo and wilma
i have tried other pictures and they all come out the same. my original pixels were i believe over 3000. does this have anything to do with it? also i like to throw a youns in there to see if anyone is paying attention[:-]. thanks for catching it. nice bird ! does he like dogs? and i dont mean for a snack.
2013/04/12 21:16:42
1runjuan

i have tried other pictures and they all come out the same. my original pixels were i believe over 3000. does this have anything to do with it? also i like to throw a youns in there to see if anyone is paying attention[:-]. thanks for catching it. nice bird ! does he like dogs? and i dont mean for a snack.

hum, I would think more pixels the better.
DWs from chestnut ridge south of pburg a real coal miners
daughter.[:D][:D][:D]
the bird is from a rescue attempt last year on rabbitears pass. sadly she
did not make it .[&o] too much head trauma. so I was honoring her life.
love our raptors. watch the eagle cam thread over on the edge.[:)]
any how do your pics you post besides your avi come out the same?
2013/04/13 13:32:46
Read!
'Round here, "youns(you ones)" is pretty much interchangeable with "y'all(you all, pronounced{yawl} not{yowl}),"  but we are absolutely strict about the first three "a"s rhyming  in Appalachia.  No! We do not say, "Ayppaylaychia," it's just something the locals latch onto.[;)]
Gotta love a regional dialect.  Now I'm gonna dump some peanuts in my dope and drink it with my Nabs.  Twisted my ears and warped my mind, first time I heard that-un(1974).\
Misaventuras con mis horas, y'all!!
Richard, Mr. Read!
2013/04/13 15:58:48
gazoo and wilma
Sorry about the bird. The name Gazoo and my first blurry picture posted were my tribute to my once in a lifetime dog. The 2 we have now are nice but there was something sooo special in The Great Gazoo.
2013/04/13 17:47:16
gazoo and wilma
hum, I would think more pixels the better.
DWs from chestnut ridge south of pburg a real coal miners
daughter.
the bird is from a rescue attempt last year on rabbitears pass. sadly she
did not make it . too much head trauma. so I was honoring her life.
love our raptors. watch the eagle cam thread over on the edge.
any how do your pics you post besides your avi come out the same?

as far as the pics i post, i really don't post any. i just wanted my best pic of gazoo as my avi .
i haven't figured out the quote thing either. but thats okay
2013/04/13 23:20:48
1runjuan
weel, just keep fooling with the avi something might
click and you'll find an improvement.
as far as your quotes, go to your profile, scroll down to
signature, type in something witty,[;)], check the box by "always attach
signature to post", scroll down to bottom of page , click OK and
your good to go.
have fun.[:)]
2013/04/14 10:08:22
crunch
I don't know why it is blurry. Even blurry thought the Great Gazoo is very cute.
2013/04/15 08:02:07
woodlock

I did it!
From my computer, but the IPAD is a different story!

2015/03/22 21:53:50
woodlock
2015/03/22 22:21:12
woodlock
It worked!
2015/03/23 09:24:57

Comments are closed.

© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5