2004/11/23 23:38:52
Normando

Mayan X - How to Pronounce

Pronouncing the Mayan X

Have you ever noticed how those around you on the plane ride south seem to murder those many Mayan words in the brochures that have and X at their beginnings ( Xcaret, Xcalak, Xel'ha, etc). How many different ways have you heard them pronounced, even at the resorts. Also to those new LG, I hope this thread will help you to understand a little better how to pronounce these perplexing names you will find all over the Yucatan.
[;)]I want to first say that I am not a linguist and would appreciate further input or information on this topic from other LG's. [;)]I would also like to acknowledge a new LG-- Lyon 19; for her input to the information in this thread and for her knowledge and understanding of the Mayan dialects, having lived for 7+ years in the state of Chiapas and time in Quintana Roo also. I was visiting with her on another Yucatan project she is interested in, and when I mentioned to her that I had wanted to write this thread for some time; she added much to my understanding of this Yucatan Paradox. This is what I have been able to gather on the subject, talking with Native speakers and other Gringos (namely my brother) who have spent much time in the Yucatan and are fluent with the Spanish language.
[8|]When the Spanish came to the Yucatan they found that they had no letter for the sound they heard often from the Maya to name towns, Cenotes and objects. I am not sure why they chose and X for these sounds, other than X sound is a little vague in Spanish proper. To prove this point, over the last while I have handed Spanish natives from other states in Mexico, a paper with a few Mayan words on - Xcaret, Xel'ha, Xcalak. Most of them, if unfamiliar with the Yucatan, will not even attempt to pronounce these words. Anyway to get to the point of this discussion. In the rest of Mexico X takes on the properties of many of our English letters, changing with various words. We could give many examples . but that is another discussion.
[8|][8|]What I have learned so far::: Mayan X has a kind of ESH or EESH sound therefore Xcalak easily becomes EESHcalak and Xcaret - EESHcaret. But was still babbled with the words that the Mayans pronounced a little differently as Xel'ha. After talking with Lyon19 I learned that this is true when the X is followed by a consonant. But if the X is followed by a vowel then it has more of a ch or cha sound. Now Xel'ha sounds a little more like the Mayans pronounce it:: as Chaell'ha. Now try your new knowledge with these other Mayan words from around Yucatan and Quintana Roo. --Ixhil ,Xkatun, X' Uilub, Xhil, Xioldo, X,Ulub, Xcunya. Okay got a handle on them...try a few of these... Chicxulub,Tixhualactun, . [8|]When X is found within a word it has a little different sound, but hopefully the information above will help some of you as you pronounce the many names beginning with X as you travel and enjoy the Yucatan.
[;)][;)]Wishing you all a wonderful adventure.
Normando
68 comments Leave a comment
jx2
Thank you Normando, as i had the more basics of the x figured out you just taught me more,. Now if i can just put this to use properly.[:)]
2004/11/23 23:46:46
XamachDan
Another Mayan X sound- My place is called Xamach- pronounced cha mach.
2004/11/24 01:04:34
Normando
Thanks XamachDan or ChamachDan
This is another excellent example of the X followed by a vowel.
Xamach- pronounced cha mach.

But if the X is followed by a vowel then it has more of a ch or cha sound.

Normando
2004/11/24 01:47:40
Michelle
Thanks for the interesting "X" Lesson! I'm still trying to get the good morning, afternoon and evening remembered....I guess I can spell my name MiXhe'l ??

PS: which witch is which?
2004/11/24 17:08:22
pepper
I fondly remember getting an X lesson from a busboy at the restaurant I worked at in Dallas. We were going to stay in Xcalacoco and wanted to at least be able to pronounce it. It took many tries over a few days, but I finally got it.
Last I heard, he moved back to the Yucatan. His name is Franklin and he worked all the time - 2 jobs at most times - saving all of his money I'm sure. Because now I've heard he bought a car and is a cab driver somewhere in the Yucatan. Maybe Cancun, since his sister worked there.
If anybody sees him, say hi from Stacy. He was one of my favorite people.
2004/11/24 17:28:39
Catalina
Most of them, if unfamiliar with the Yucatan, will not even attempt to pronounce these words.

Thanks for the lesson on the Mayan X "Normando"!! The Spanish language is a beautiful language I think, but most Spanish speakers know little or nothing about the Mayan language! And you are so right in your quote above about people from other México states - if they do sort of know what you are talking about a lot of them will say, "Oh, that is Mayan!" I was actually in a little Mayan village with a Mexican from México City, who finally said, "Let's get out of here - these people are making me nervous because I understand nothing they are saying!!"

Cata [:)]
2004/11/24 17:45:12
Steve O
Normando,

I am with you on the X thing. How do you pronounce this? Xtacumbilxunaan. It's a cavern around the Uxmal area.
2004/11/24 18:10:14
Normando
Steve O,
LOL, oh you have a tongue twister there. Hope some of the long time LOCO GRINGOS will give this a try, but here I go to try it Phonetically using the Mayan X rules and Spanish Grammer rules
Xtacumbilxunaan

Here goes:::
EESHtahcoombelESSHoonahhhn

I am not shore where you would put the accent (acento) marks, having never heard this particular word spoken, and there is actually no need for the double a in Spanish, so am not sure how exactly this is said in Mayan; but I think this would be understood by those living close to there. Try to say it fast faster... LOL. Thanks again Steve O for this great example.

[8|]Another common X Mayan word is Xpujil (Xpujil) which we can now pronounce as EESHpoo'hel
Normando
2004/11/24 22:01:34
Steve O
Normando,

That is about how I would pronounce it also. I am still not sure of the correct way. I asked about 8 times. One of the longest names I have run across. Thanks for you post.
2004/11/24 23:16:56
Catalina
The following is from an article too long to post, so I am just putting a little part of it here!!
"Throughout Mexico at major fiestas, people serve roast turkey, but instead of using the Spanish word for turkey, 'pavo', they call it huexolotl, its Aztec name."

Hey Normando how would you say that word?? [8|] [8|] [8|]

Cata [8D]
2004/11/25 01:03:03
Normando
CATAlina,
[:D] You are way to funny..
[8|]Actaully all those Nahuatl (official language of the Aztecs) words really give me trouble.
How about some of you other LG's out there . Any help for Phonetically Pronuniation of huexolotl - the Aztec Pavo. Oh, the Aztec mainly ate the Gould's Species (Meleagris Gallopavo Mexicana) of wild Turkey. Also the Turkey was domesticated early in all of the Americas.

Thanks CATa,
Normando
2004/11/25 01:22:39
So Normando, how do you pronounce this one: Yaxche?
2004/11/28 16:17:40
playaluver
Bumping this one up!

We'll be going to Xaac Cove. Would you pronounce it cha ack? or sha ack? or something completely different?!?

HELP! Don't want to sound like a gringo!! [;)]
2006/01/29 12:29:14
playaluver
Found yet another website that pronounces it zah-ahk???? HELP!!!
2006/01/29 12:46:21
Steve O
I pronounce it EESH ACK
2006/01/29 12:52:10
Sunseeker
Wow!! Thanks for a great thread. I hate mispronouncing words. sunseeker
2006/01/29 12:52:39
Lusian1
Since I'm bringing my son along to the Riviera Maya, and he is a 4th yr. spanish student, I want him to read this post! I think I'll print it so he can bring it to his spanish instructor. Maybe he'll get extra credit.
2006/01/29 13:07:32
brisco330
Our good friend, el Kento, just recently learned, on his fourth trip to Mexico, that 'amigo' means 'friend'. I don't think that he is ready for the 'X' lesson just yet!!!!
2006/01/29 13:34:03
Normando
Steve O,
Thanks as always for your expertise. I received an email from an old LG friend that the Mayan X thread had been shown some renewed interest. That is exactly how I would pronounce it also - Xaac = EEsh ack It is nice to see some LG's continuing to want to learn some things about the country they are visiting.
[:)]I can't wait to visit with many Mayan families in the sparsely populated area south of Valladolid when I return to Mexico to take part in the now becoming annual Easter Egg Hunt for children of the locals on the beach at Rio Indio (North of Majahual - now being called Coasta Maya by the cruise ship crowd. I love to hear the Mayan dialect as I enjoy the Mayan people. It is like music to my ears and I usually try to encourage someone from the homes I am visiting to walk around their compound and tell me everything we see in Spanish and then Mayan. I am always amazed for one thing at the many varieties of fruit that they grow that I have never even seen or heard of before. And many times I leave with several varieties of new fruit or always Papaya or my favorite Mangos like we can only dream of in America.
[8|] Oh, by the way, do LG's know that Mangos are the most eaten fruit in the world and originally came from Malaysia? Hope you will all try some of the many varieties on your next trip to Mexico.
[:)][:D][:)]I say hi to my LG's friends
Normando
2006/01/29 17:22:35
Beachey
So, would this be considered and X-Rated thread??? [8|] [;)][:D]
2006/01/29 17:47:05
Normando
Beachlovers...
[:D] That would have to be a definite Yes ---wouldn't it....LOL. Xciting thoughts
What an Xperience - more than we have Xpected even...Hummmmmn

[8|]Oh, Wish all my Oriental especially Chinese friends - a Very Happy New Year
[:)] "Kung hei fa Choi "
[8|]Red dog Year or Red fire dog if you prefer.
Kung - Shi
Normando
2006/01/29 18:21:12
Beachey
hehehe Xactly what I was thinking!!! Xceptionally helpful to those who were wondering though!!! [;)][:D]
2006/01/29 18:26:06
Most Xcellent to learn/know... Thanks!
2006/01/29 18:33:34
Linda in Houston
Wouldn't Xaac Bay be pronounced: SHAH-AHK or CHAH-AHK.
Anyway, that's the way I've heard it.... and after all, the X is
followed by a vowel in this word.

I was told several years ago that the Mayan X is only pronounced
EESH when it is at the beginning of a word & followed by a consonant.

If X is at the beginning of a word & followed by a vowel AND anywhere
in the middle of a word, it is pronounced as SH or CH.
2006/01/30 03:32:08
Normando
Linda in Houston,
You may very well be correct. And your example follows the rule of the original thread where X is followed by a vowel. Problem now is that most of the Mayan speakers whom I talked to get the general rules do not have computers or ?. Hummmm. Much happier most of the time I believe. When giving them a ride at times; I have asked them repeat the big long words you find as names of many of the small villages, some with several syllables and several X's and they just let the name spill out effortlessly.
[8|] Can someone who is now in the Yucatan and joining us through Internet Cafe talk to some Mayans from the center of the Yucatan or Quintana Roo working at your Hotel/Condo,etc. give us a definite ruling here.
Normando
2006/01/30 07:02:59
John in DC
Regarding the "aa" that often appears in the final syllable of Yucatec Mayan words, I've often heard it with what linguists call a glottal stop between the two "a"s. Thus the "sh-ACK" pronunciation of Xaac. It's actually a very very slight break in the pronunciation, but it serves an important purpose. In Mayan, the accent is 99.5 percent of the time on the last syllable. Dropping the tiniest pause into the middle of a one syllable word keeps that speech rhythm intact. Sometimes the break is explicit (as in Sian Ka'an) and other times it just gets thrown in for good measure.

Another thing to consider about Mayan is that there are hundreds of dialects, so none of these rules is hard and fast. I believe Yucatec is the most widely spoken, and of course the most likely to be encoutered in Quintana Roo (keen-tan-A ro-O).
2006/01/30 08:42:33
Normando
John in D C
Thanks for the great information. I have never heard the Mayan double aa explained that simply or concisely before. Speaking of dialects, I have read that there were 23 mayor Mayan dialects in the Yucatan P. alone at the time the Spanish came or maybe it was during the time of the Caste wars. and of course their were many more dialects spoken in lands further south.
[8|]For those wanting a little more nformation on the topic -borrowed from Munda Mayan -online

MAYA: MILLENNIAL LANGUAGE OF THE AMERICAS
Maya is still spoken throughout the Mundo Maya, just as it was 3,000 years ago. Large parts of the indigenous communities in Belize, parts of Honduras and Guatemala, and the Mexican states of Chiapas, Tabasco, Campeche, Yucatan and Quintana Roo speak Maya dialects.

Maya is a linguistic family that can be roughly divided into two major language groups: the proto-Guatemala-Yucatan group, heard in the southern highlands of Guatemala and part of the Yucatan Peninsula; and the proto-Chiapas group, spoken in the highlands of Chiapas, the lowlands of Tabasco, and in regions ranging from southeastern Chiapas, to the Peten in Guatemala and to western Honduras.

Maya adheres to modes of expression common to the majority of native American tongues. It is polysynthetic, meaning that the subject of the verb is always expressed as a pronoun. In terms of vocabulary it differs from all other native Mexican and Central American languages, and so far is not known to be linked to any other language in the region.

Linguists believe that during the Classic Period (A.D. 250-900) the Maya spoke a single tongue. That from the highlands to the lowlands and throughout the Yucatan Peninsula, one language was spoken by all of the people with a few, if any, regional variations.

From A.D. 900-1519, when the northern Yucatan peninsula was invaded by Nahuatl-speaking Indian groups from central Mexico, the Maya language underwent considerable change. However, these alterations had more of an effect on vocabulary than on syntax or grammar.

The Spaniards imposed their language on the Yucatecan Maya over 500 years ago, yet Maya has influenced Spanish more than it has been effected by it. Not only do Maya words crop up in Spanish vocabulary, but also Maya has altered the syntax, phonetics and etymology of Spanish, whereas Spanish has altered Maya only in small ways. The Spanish cultural influence has caused Mayas to adopt Spanish words for things unknown to them before the arrival of the Europeans.

And what is now happening in the Yucatan is also occurring elsewhere in the Mundo Maya in places like the highlands of Chiapas and Guatemala, where Quiche, Cakchiquel, Kekchi, Poconchíi Mam, Pocoman, Tzutuhil, Chorti, Tzetzal and Tzotzil Maya is spoken.
2006/01/30 11:21:47
Normando
John, Linda, Steve O or others knowledgeable in the Mayan language. Since we have the rules down fairly good now, who wants to take a stab at a phonetic pronunciation of just a few of the names you would encounter in the villages you pass through around Merida. Yaxkukul - Huxecaman - Dzoyaxche - Muxupip - or Tixkuncheil .

[8|]And now, as we are back in school today; to the perplexing amount of Z's and Y's you will encounter in many Mayan place names. Does anyone have some basic rules for these? And here a just a few of the towns you will go through close to Merida for anyone to try a phonetic pronunciation of... First the great classic ruin just North and east of Merida that I have to relearn how to pronounce again every trip. Dzibilchaltum.. Other tongue twisters might be Tahazibichen, Yoctzonot, or Dzidzantun.
But doesn't it sound like music when spoken by the natives?
Normando
2006/01/30 11:56:15
loconorsk
This has all been xceptionally helpful.

Thanx everyone.

[&:]
2006/01/30 12:21:22
John in DC
I've always assumed that the "Dz" in names and words like "Dzibilchaltun" was pronounced roughly like "dg" in "badger," but rolled off a little so it's almost like a soft "j."
2006/01/30 14:58:57
Steve O
I've read that the consonants d, f, g, j, qu, r, and v are generally not found in Maya language and the use of one of these sounds generally indicates that the word is of foreign origin.

I have also been told that in words with the dz, the d is silent and the z is pronounced as an s, Dzul Ha would be sool ha as in fool. Also if a word begins with an X and is the name of a town or place, it would be pronounced as ISH or EESH.

Who knows? You really have to hear it from locals in 3 or 4 different areas.
2006/01/31 09:34:19
HhowieE
In light of
XAMACH DAN"S MASSIVE CONTRIBUTION TO THE CAUSE
.............raising money for Sally and Steve...............

I thought we all should have a second look at how to pronounce " X "
2006/02/04 12:50:52
Steve O
Sorry, I have no idea what you mean.
2006/02/04 18:31:10
Maggie
Steve O:

What Howie is talking about is that X-Dan (Maya X relationship) donated a sizeable stay at a his property in MX.....to the Pacific NorthWest LG bash which Howie is organizing.......this party will raise money for NACER and Sally of Fundacion Talleres Cero (Tulum)....in the ROO.

Hope this helps!

Cheers-
Mags
2006/02/04 18:54:58
HhowieE
No apologies necessary..........I am a
Dumbass........nowhere did I tell ya......
ta check out the thread......

Pacific Northwest Locofest
and this..
Howie,
Add a 7 night stay for 2 at Xamach Dos as a prize.
they can check it out before bidding at Xamach Dos
XD

TOO COOL or WHAT
2006/02/04 19:00:00
HhowieE
as always..........thanx fer gettin' my back, Maggie,
you just keep pulling my feet outa my mouth.
I love ya Girl.
2006/02/04 19:02:55
Maggie
Da nada.....I know how much those guppie bites can hurt!!![;)]

And the can make ya a little crazy too.....so cheers to you my incomplete poster amigo!!!! hehehe

Cheers-
Mags
2006/02/04 19:09:25
David Vessey
Hey Normando,
My experience - which is considerably less than yours - is that Mayans are very reluctant to allow an outsider into his culture. At least they have made excuses for not explaining mayan when I asked. They wouldn't even admit to speaking mayan and continued to speak to me in spanish. I do peak spanish. I have spoken to mexicans who were non-Mayan and they have agreed with me. Thanks for your tutelage on the "X", it's very helpful. I had supposed that the Mayan "X" was similar to the "X" in the anglicised chinese - I was close.
Thanks again.
Cheeeeeeeeers, David, dvcheetah@y
2006/02/04 20:51:35
Maggie
Question: Why do my Maya friends joke and laugh about the Maya languge being ugly....like not sounding as nice as Spanish......they say Maya is hard to speak...the couple words that I know leave my tounge in knots....so que?

My Dive Masters speak Maya at home....but Spanish (and English when need be) to the guest...but prefer Spanish over Maya....so why?

Cheers-
Mags
2006/02/04 21:11:28
dorado dave
xmach dan. Who are Gary and Jose? never saw you on site. just curios
plan on stopping in again the 28th of feb. please respond. dave. ps. any
rooms availible that night for old salts/party boys? I'll call gary tomorrow.
thanks. david. easy from pesca maya says hola'. fish the old bridge
if you can't run with el gato norte blanconegra'. se?dave.
2006/02/04 23:02:26
XamachDan
Dave,
Gary runs the place and Jose works for him, also is his adopted son.
I try to get down there at least once every couple of months.
I'll be there the 28th- 2 cabanas are full but we should be able to work something out for 1 night.
PM me
XD
ORIGINAL: dorado dave

xmach dan. Who are Gary and Jose? never saw you on site. just curios
plan on stopping in again the 28th of feb. please respond. dave. ps. any
rooms availible that night for old salts/party boys? I'll call gary tomorrow.
thanks. david. easy from pesca maya says hola'. fish the old bridge
if you can't run with el gato norte blanconegra'. se?dave.
2006/02/04 23:17:48
pitbaby
oops
2006/02/12 08:44:22
Xtabentun
Figure out how to say it yet?
Xtabentun (Eesh-tabentun)
And now we all know how to pronouce it..............and it's REALLY good with coffee! Mmmm!
2006/02/20 23:01:24
Tomas
What about the Maya goddess Ixchel? How would one pronounce it?
2006/02/21 07:03:02
John in DC
eesh - CHEL
2006/02/21 08:34:51
Duskmirror
And Wat about the (XX) beer [8|]
2006/02/21 10:45:52
John in DC
ORIGINAL: Duskmirror

And Wat about the (XX) beer [8|]

Shhhhhhhh.....[:D]
2006/02/21 11:20:25
LaLuz
Thought it would be informative for
newbies...........it's been a while.

LaLuz
2006/09/27 13:49:37
norman bradley
I am not a linguist either, but have been traveling in Mexico many years. It has been my understanding that in 16th century Spanish, the 'x' was pronounced as an 's'. All of the indigenous words are phonetic equivalents, almost all created in the 16th century by Spaniards. The Indians did not create words with latin letters. So when the Spaniards heard a word with an 's' or 'sh' sound, they wrote it as an 'x'. It seems hard or awkward for Spanish speaking people to start a word with an 's' sound. Example: How do they say Spanish?--Español. Spanish-speaking people I know, when they speak English, and say a word that begins with s--it is often more like 'es'. In a Spanish language group I meet with every other week, we all have Spanish (or hispanized) names. One fellow is Stan. But we never say Stan--it is always Estan.

Whenever I hear a tourist say Xcaret or some such Mayan word with the ES sound for the 'x' (escaret), I always just assume it is their first trip, and they just haven't quite got it yet.

Here's one. Mexico. That has an 'ex'. Where did it come from. We generally call them Aztecs (they were actually from a place called Aztlán). But the Aztecs called themselves the Mexica (may-SHE-kah). Speaking of a people, it would almost always be feminine--ending in 'a'. But a place might very well take the masculine form, thus Mexico. How the 'x' got to be an 'h' sound, I am not sure.

On a slightly different note, I am reminded of a woman from Texas I met in Guatemala one time. She was talking about a place she went. I couldn't figure it out. It sounded like she kept saying Tickle. "At Tickle, we did...(so and so, etc.)..." I couldn't imagine where she had been. I finally figured it out--she had gone to Tikal. (tee-KAHL). I confess, I was a bit tickled.

Norm
2006/09/27 15:41:45
norman bradley
Page 8 of the Preface of Michael Coe's Breaking the Maya Code, he says, and I quote: "As it had in sixteenth-century Spain, x has the sound of English sh."

Norm
2006/09/27 16:53:57
ChicagoCraig
Oh XIT....I wish i would have seen this thread earlier...woulda saved me some embarrasment.
2006/09/27 17:22:18
Read!
Re la cervesa: Dos Equiis(sp?). Mexican, not Mayan! But "Ish'cha" if it were.[;)][;)]
Uno vez mas, por favor.[:D][:D]
Mas aventuras!!

Richard, Mr. Read!
2006/09/29 20:49:52
LaLuz
A bump for lots of the newbies......it's been a while.
2009/08/21 16:59:10
Read!
Flush of influence and insight:   XX + Xtabentun= Cha-cha?
Aw, xit.
Mas aventuras, y'all!!

Richard, Mr. Read!
2009/08/21 23:28:21
mrszz
Bump again.  Very interesting thread.  I have been wanting to try Xtabentun every time we go and now I think I can finally maybe ask for it correctly!  We'll see![;)]
2009/11/22 09:41:03
ChicagoCraig
Thanks for the reminder La Luz. It is due![:D]
2011/02/23 15:20:32
margarita man
Oh Xit I had forgotten how to say that[:D][:D]
2011/02/23 15:33:45
BCislander
We have been to the Yucatan now for the past 4 years and we only now have some solid understanding of the "X" in many of the words.
Thanks for the spanish lesson.
2011/02/23 16:36:04
LaLuz
Have always thought that this thread should be "required reading"
for LG'ers and lurkers who are going down to Quintanna Roo and
Coz.
2011/02/24 09:54:40
ChicagoCraig
Tope again this evening.

Xit...sorry
2011/03/24 20:33:03
David R
I stumbled across this site while researching this elusive X. I learned it's correct pronunciation and usage in the Mayan regions of Mexico and Guatemala. While in Spain one year ago, I saw it resurface, not, as you know, in Spanish, but in Basque. Now to my knowledge, the Conquistadors were not Basque. I am trying to determine just who wrote the Mayan Language using western phonetic spelling. I assume that the friars and other church representatives were the ones, but have been unable to substantiate this and determine their origins. I recently learned that the word in Arabic for 'the unknown' begins with the SH sound and through a rather convoluted course of translations, became represented by the letter X, as in algebraic and other equations. I can find no indication that it was pronounced by the Spanish people as SH, rather as the hard C or Chi (kai) sound.
Any information out there to help me with this historical linguistic quest?
Still puzzled;
David
2012/06/12 01:13:09
DougSR
I can't help you in your quest but I was amazed to find that Guatamala alone currently recognizes 21 Mayan languages by name and Mexico another 8. I also saw that some of these languages have been written in a hyroglyphic script. So perhaps the X was used during this period.

I have no basis for my speculation but I doubt that the X came from the "Johnny Come Lately" Spanish, but rather the native American people who migrated over the Bering straight and down through North America. Any thoughts on this theory?
2012/06/12 07:43:39
David R
I have seen one of the few remaining Mayan Codices in Madrid and their writing uses nothing remotely similar to Latin (or Spanish) letters. The Mayan language was recorded using phonetic spellings with Western symbols so I am quite certain the X or any other representations/spellings were not of Mayan origin. Their text was a complex system of glyphs and none of that is preserved in the modern written form of the language. As an aside, their number system is actually quite elegant and decipherable, although cumbersome..
As previously discussed on this thread, there is no accommodation for the SH sound in the Spanish language. The SH was introduced from Arabic and represented by the Greek letter Chi, its appearance very similar to X, and pronounce 'Kai". It was then, in all probability, converted during the Romanization of the Western European languages to the more familiar Roman X we know today. It was likely never in common usage in Spain, its use limited to science and mathematical applications (therefore the representation of "the unknown" in mathematics represented by the letter X (see my previous post). The 'K' sound persists in Spanish, although not in the X form, but the SH appears in the Basque language.
I was wondering if the Friars, Priests, or what ever capacity was held by the representatives from the Catholic Church accompanying the Conquistadors, were not Castillan but perhaps Basque?? That seems an unlikely scenario given the relationship between the the oppressed Basque people and the Castillians during and after the unification of Spain in 1492 by Ferdinand and Isabella. I assumed that it was likely the Church which took the time to 're-educate' the locals and document their language and life styles etc.
2012/06/12 08:21:07
LaLuz
TIME FOR A BUMP FOR THE MAYAN X!

If you will notice, this thread started in 2004.
Along the way it has been "bumped" several times
but the last time was in 2012.  Interesting reading along
the way with lots of "old timers" posting. 
Educational and enjoyable.

La Luz - 2017

2017/08/24 17:12:09
Normando
Will I guess this is a bump... My way of saying Hello to all old Loco Gringos I fondly remember and had so many great times and learned so much from. They say this thread was started in 2004 and last bumped in 2012..And yes I am the author... OLE Normando himself.
2018/04/10 01:47:54
Normando
Since the last time I logged onto Loco Gringo; I have had many incredible adventures in the Yucatán using as a base the Colonial city of Valladolid, the southern Military outpost of Mahahual ( now called Costa Maya by the cruise folks) and on the northern tip of Yucatán, the little fishing village of Los Colorado’s and town of Rio Lagartos and others. As I said I’ve had met wonderful Mayan and Spanish families and had some great adventures and learning experiences. Example:: a few years back I took a few weeks traveling through many small villages in Yucatán and Quintana Roo looking for what remained of the 2000+ years in history Sacred Stingless Bee of the Mayan ((Melipona bicheii or beecheii (Xunah kab) )). Now almost extinct due to economic and other issues. Any of you studying my post of 2004– How to pronounce the Mayan X should have no problem with Xunah Kab. Kab is Mayan for Abeja (bee). And Xunah Kab translates into Royal or Sacred lady. Wish to say hello to all my old LG friends and hope those new to these posts will get much information and fun from reading.
2018/04/10 02:56:54
Catalina
Hola Normando! Nice to "see" you!

I can hardly believe that I will be in the area, on April 17th, for the first time since April 2005!
2018/04/10 15:33:47
Normando
Unbelievable... Of all the people to see this thread and respond... my most special Amiga and favorite LG Cata.. Be prepared for a shock if no visit since 2005... 307 a freeway to Chetumal...4 or more entrances to Playa Del Carmen rather than the little street to the ferry and a freeway bridge going completely over and not even having to slow down. .. Chichen Itza so busy now you can hardly walk and of course no more climbing the stairs at El Castillo... Tulum a bustling almost city with airport and not a sleepy village...so much more growth...but still a wonderful place to visit and get some sun and visit the Maya. I hope you have a wonderful trip...would like to know more about where you plan on visiting...I’m sure you’re also still rescuing hopefully abandoned dogs and puppies at home..
So nice to hear from you... I just logged in after ...?? So have to learn again how to private you on some special places I have found that you may want to include in your trip.. your Amigo,
Normando
2018/04/11 00:41:18

Comments are closed.

© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5