2016/02/15 12:49:15
bouldergal

BEACH ACCESS CLOSED AGAIN

Reports on TA forum that the bay access has been closed again because of illegal tour operators.  Anyone down there right now?
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g499445-i9177-k9266573-Beach_access_closed_and_trouble_starting_again-Akumal_Yucatan_Peninsula.html

97 comments Leave a comment
Wifey
I have a friend down there now. She is supposed to leave tomorrow and is concerned about being able to get out. There are many pix and articles being posted on FB groups for Akumal.

2016/02/15 13:19:29
Wifey
It's my understanding that the (sandy) beach access is closed but folks can get to the beach through the CEA property.

2016/02/15 13:35:26
Kay
The road is open to all traffic and it has been all day..   Foot traffic is being routed through the CEA center at the moment. 
2016/02/15 15:59:35
Kay
Wifey
I have a friend down there now. She is supposed to leave tomorrow and is concerned about being able to get out. There are many pix and articles being posted on FB groups for Akumal.

At this point she should have no problem leaving. 
2016/02/15 16:00:09
el gran chico
^^ ^ key phrase above "At this point".   I'm worried what happens next.    This is not trending in a positive direction.
2016/02/15 20:24:30
Jazzsmith10
I guess this is why I buy trip insurance.....
2016/02/16 07:28:52
Jazzsmith10
 So sad to see this in such a beautiful place!  We are looking forward to returning in June for the first time in 3 years.  I hope this situation is resolved by then.
2016/02/16 07:28:52
Tomas
Jazzsmith10
 So sad to see this in such a beautiful place!  We are looking forward to returning in June for the first time in 3 years.  I hope this situation is resolved by then.

We've been going there for enough years that I can say with confidence that absolutely nothing can stop us from getting to the beach in Akumal.

No matter what happens in Mexico there is always a work around plan.
2016/02/16 07:36:33
Jazzsmith10
Thanks for positive thoughts!
2016/02/16 07:45:45
Cathie9
Well, this is not good but we're leaving this Saturday for a week in Akumal regardless.  Very appreciative of anyone who could give an update on the situation today.  Thanks very much.
2016/02/16 10:22:29
Kay
Good morning... the protestors had closed the road in the village of Tulum earlier this morning. At the moment the road in Akumal has now been closed to car traffic, foot traffic is still fine.  I will let you know more when we get it. 
2016/02/16 11:23:56
Wifey
Saw that too Kay.  Thanks for the update.
2016/02/16 11:34:01
shape shifter 47
As long as I can get my sticky buns from Turtle Bay.....I would be happy.

2016/02/16 12:11:36
crunch
Thanks for the updates Kay.
2016/02/16 12:23:44
rich.bernaski
Well I'm arriving on Saturday for 12 days at Aventuras Akumal. I generally take the Collectivo to Akumal and walk to all my favorite establishments from the highway.  Hopefully they won't bother 1 thirsty Canadian looking for a few cervezas and margaritas. And maybe a taco or two. 
2016/02/16 21:08:53
wedge77
Currently on Half Moon Bay. My wife & I walked to arch yesterday around noon to find the statue of Gonzalo Guerrero tipped over and 5 or 6 police vehicles in the road in front of La Cueva/Turtle Bay. Many young local men/boys hanging around  Chomak with "Akumal Unidos" shirts on. Local workers seemed very upset about vandalism to statue. At that point, beach access to Akumal Bay was open, as was main road access.

Today, we walked to lunch counter and discovered main road (and beach access) were blocked. Protesters had blocked road to 307 by parking lots. Police were there but not removing blockage. Big back up by  Chomak. Was told that nothing could be done until government intervened. LBV closed early. Many travelers worried about getting out.

Our shuttle is scheduled for Thursday. Hoping we get out OK. Not trying to alarm folks. Just reporting. We have vacationed here for 10+ years and will be back next year. Hoping a solution can be found sooner than later?!

Any more news Kay?
2016/02/16 21:39:23
Mellow52
I walked through about 5pm last night and had no problem from anybody.Later on there was alot of car traffic coming through in groups so i figure they must of been letting them through. I was told by a couple that came back from coba they let their car through after about a 15 min wait. Im here till the 24th so we will just have to wait and see what happens
2016/02/17 04:39:53
Kay
Morning traffic report!
All tourist traffic, employees y providers are being let thru in cars or on foot. They are only stopping snorkel tours. There will be no problem for tourist y homeowners to enter exit Akumal
2016/02/17 07:48:34
wetone
Sounds good to me!
2016/02/17 08:35:07
wetone
Sounds good to me! Now if they could stop the tour boats.

2016/02/17 08:36:55
Kay
For a little background for people who have been reading reports all over the web...
There is currently a group of demonstrators that are protesting the closure of a beach access that was been re routed through the CEA center. They did close the road into Akumal yesterday for 5 hours, from 11 AM to 4 PM. Foot traffic was allowed in and out throughout this time without issue. 

However, as of last night, the demonstrators have agreed that they will not hinder the activities of the guests and residents of Akumal. I believe this is due to the fact that they lost a lot of support by blocking access. So they have agreed to allow tourists staying in Akumal, residents of Akumal, and services to Akumal (water, food, gas, beverage trucks) unlimited access. They are only stopping outside snorkel tour groups from entering and exiting.
2016/02/17 09:20:50
Cathie9
Kay:  Cannot tell you how relieved we are to hear this today.  Rough night sleeping last night, thinking about the situation down there and preparing to leave for Akumal this Saturday.  Thank you so much for keeping us posted on the forum...it's really the only link we have to understanding how things are going down there.  Please update as you can, even if it's just to reassure things are stable.  Thanks again,  Cathie and Stefan in Kansas City...Akumal lovers til the end :-)
2016/02/17 09:32:16
Tomas
Kay
They are only stopping outside snorkel tour groups from entering and exiting.

As it should have been from the start. Seriously, people? Hijole!
2016/02/17 11:02:24
el gran chico
So it's now Akumal-based snorkel groups keeping out non-Akumal-based snorkel groups??   I can live with that.
2016/02/17 11:32:32
Kay
Ok so the road is open, the road is closed, the road is open again.  ( a tad bi polar as you can see)

The situation is very fluid.  Please if you are coming today and have concerns contact us, we are taking care of everyone who as questions or concerns. 
2016/02/17 12:15:23
Cathie9
We will be checking for updates up until Saturday morning when we leave. Our biggest concern is being able to get into Akumal with our groceries/luggage and making it to the condo.  We are currently considering making some kind of back-up plan for lodging e.g. booking a hotel room in Playa or something.

Thanks again for keeping us posted.
2016/02/17 12:21:15
wetone
The web cam looks glorious ----not a orange vest in sight!

2016/02/17 12:25:41
PC5
Our staff at Playa Caribe condos in Half Moon Bay has personally picked up guests arriving during the blockade.  Make sure you have the manager's contact number if you run into difficulties.
2016/02/17 12:26:13
Kay
Cathie9
We will be checking for updates up until Saturday morning when we leave. Our biggest concern is being able to get into Akumal with our groceries/luggage and making it to the condo.  We are currently considering making some kind of back-up plan for lodging e.g. booking a hotel room in Playa or something.

Thanks again for keeping us posted.

Cathie, I would not be concerned about a back up plan so much today.  We will assist you.  Actually yesterday we offered to carry groceries for people on foot, and then the road opened.  So we are here to help.
2016/02/17 12:50:56
Cathie9
Thanks for letting me know that.  It's hard to gauge the seriousness of the issues there sitting here in Kansas City!  Lots of 'what ifs' come to mind.  Guess we'll get off the plane, get the car, and head down with the hopes that things will work out one way or the other :-).
2016/02/17 13:19:02
el gran chico
Make sure you have the manager's contact number if you run into difficulties.

Sage advice!   Already added mine to my phone's contacts

Please if you are coming today and have concerns contact us

Does LocoGringo have a local 984 number to call from within Mexico?    I only see a 1-800 (presumably for the US/Canada) under "Contact Us".
2016/02/17 13:55:59
Kay
Currently they are not allowing any day trippers in. Guests in the Akumal area are allowed to walk in. 

Our local number is (984) 185 1729 our office is open from 8:30 - 5 pm EST.
2016/02/17 14:04:50
Cathie9
Kay:  When you say guests in the Akumal area are allowed to walk in, what does that mean for those of us who rent a car in Cancun and drive to Akumal?  Thank you.
2016/02/17 14:19:08
Kay
Cathie9
Kay:  When you say guests in the Akumal area are allowed to walk in, what does that mean for those of us who rent a car in Cancun and drive to Akumal?  Thank you.

Right now they are not letting any vehicles into town. So, you, me, and anyone else we need to park in the pueblo and walk in.  Yesterday the road opened around 5 pm. So we are anticipating that today as well. 
2016/02/17 14:41:12
Mellow52
Thanks for keeping us informed Kay. Its personal customer care at its best.The very reason i book through you. I had hoped to take a taxi to Tulum tomorrow but i guess i could walk out and find a taxi. Im on HMB for 7 more days hope its over by then.
2016/02/17 14:55:58
Cathie9
Wow, this is going to make for an interesting vacation!  Where is it that people are parking in the pueblo; any designated area?

2016/02/17 14:58:42
Kay
Cathie9
Wow, this is going to make for an interesting vacation!  Where is it that people are parking in the pueblo; any designated area?

You can park along the curb in the pueblo. Just watch the color of the curbs but they don't want to park too close to a corner. If that makes sense, not sure if the curb is yellow or red.
2016/02/17 15:29:52
Kay
Just so everyone knows... that there are lots of us working on trying to get this moving in a positive direction.  Many of the local reservation services such as ourselves and the property managers are in close communication working together as team to take care of guests needs, transfer companies or anyone who may need a little info, etc.  

The situation is not one we created nor have control of but we are all doing our best to be able to give everyone the vacation and stay they expect and deserve.  

2016/02/17 16:00:05
Cheesehead
We are there now. We left our condo this morning for Tulum based on the report only snorkel tours were being stopped. We left without problem. Trying to get back in was different. When we returned from Tulum about 3:45, no vehicles were being allowed in at all. After about an hour delay, someone decided to let vehicles enter, but we were warned when we went in that was likely only temporary. Vehicles were still able to leave (at least then). This is intolerable and NOT what we paid for.
2016/02/17 16:10:38
Craig in WI
We're driving down...yes, all the way from Wisconsin.  Should arrive about March 5.  Hope all is well by then!

As usual, Kay, you're doing yeoman's duty, along with your excellent staff.  I'll keep watching for further updates.
2016/02/17 16:14:05
Kay
The road is open for now.
2016/02/17 16:17:36
Kay
Cheesehead
We are there now. We left our condo this morning for Tulum based on the report only snorkel tours were being stopped. We left without problem. Trying to get back in was different. When we returned from Tulum about 3:45, no vehicles were being allowed in at all. After about an hour delay, someone decided to let vehicles enter, but we were warned when we went in that was likely only temporary. Vehicles were still able to leave (at least then). This is intolerable and NOT what we paid for.

Cheesehead it sucks, and the reports this morning, the word that came from the meeting this morning was that only tour groups were being stopped.  The road open and closed so several times today.  It is a fluid situation, and so things change quickly.  We try to give information out as we get it, we are on the ground here and feel the affects of the situation and try to share information when we get it. 

2016/02/17 16:38:49
Mayan Boar
Kay, you are right.  It sucks for everyone and lots of folks are being impacted.  Everyone is working triple-time to do everything they can to take care of guests, workers, etc.  The timing stinks with high season and the destruction of the statue was just wrong.  Thanks for all your updates.  MB

2016/02/17 16:47:41
Kay
Mayan Boar
Kay, you are right.  It sucks for everyone and lots of folks are being impacted.  Everyone is working triple-time to do everything they can to take care of guests, workers, etc.  The timing stinks with high season and the destruction of the statue was just wrong.  Thanks for all your updates.  MB

Thanks MB.  Yes the destruction of the statue was wrong as is any vandalism, anytime.  Interesting I had heard there was some symbolic significance to the statue being toppled and it has to do with the fact that at one point the statue was in a different place where there was public egress to the beach.... no sure if it is true but an interesting thing...
2016/02/17 16:59:49
el gran chico
I appreciate your updates too, Kay.  LG is yet another victim caught in the crossfire.  I feel for eveyone who is losing something from this event.
2016/02/17 18:13:07
durangotom
H i Kay,
It is interesting you mentioning about the location of the Statue, I just ran across this photo from July 1981.
The Statue was definitely in a different location then. You can see the Bungalows at HAC in the far Background.        

2016/02/17 18:28:16
Mayan Boar
Were you there then, Durangotom?  My first trip to Akumal was 1990 and I simply don't remember where it was.  MB 
2016/02/17 19:03:41
Kay
For anyone arriving tonight, the road is open.  Buenos noches. 
2016/02/17 19:35:07
Susy
This is where it was in 1992 ~ facing the beach with the Lol Ha restaurant to the left, the pizza restaurant at the right.

" />
2016/02/17 20:23:38
peacenjoy
Kay
Ok so the road is open, the road is closed, the road is open again.  ( a tad bi polar as you can see)

The situation is very fluid.  Please if you are coming today and have concerns contact us, we are taking care of everyone who as questions or concerns. 

This is why we always book with LG!  You always take care of your people.   Gracias. 
2016/02/17 22:03:53
Kay
Susy
This is where it was in 1992 ~ facing the beach with the Lol Ha restaurant to the left, the pizza restaurant at the right.

" />

Ok so ask the story I heard goes, this may have been where the public access was way back when (or this could be an urban legend).  There was public egress access on the far side of the hotel as you go towards the ABR which is gone now.  It was a great coconut grove.

2016/02/18 06:52:18
Tomas
Kay
Susy

" />

Ok so ask the story I heard goes, this may have been where the public access was way back when (or this could be an urban legend).  There was public egress access on the far side of the hotel as you go towards the ABR which is gone now.  It was a great coconut grove.

Wouldn't ol' Guerrero and his chica prefer the beach view like he had years ago?
2016/02/18 07:51:12
Kay
Morning...well, so far all is quiet.  No one at the entrance as of right now.  The blockade is up but halfway.
2016/02/18 08:37:06
Cathie9
Does 'halfway' mean you can leave Akumal but you can't come in?  Thanks so much again for the updates.
2016/02/18 09:10:36
Kay
The road is now open all the way and cleaned up. 
2016/02/18 09:34:40
dominique
Thanks again for the updates.  Hope you hear soon if it is a long term or short term resolution.  
2016/02/18 09:37:08
durangotom
Hi MB, our first trip to Akumal was 1981, this photo is actually from 1983, Wife and Son. I believe the Statue was in the same place as in Susy's photo just a different angle.
Here is an Brochure that might shed some light on the access issues, maybe not but still fun to check out...

2016/02/18 09:47:13
water baby
Thanks Kay and Locogringo for being there and on top of things! Your insight and info is trusted and appreciated.
2016/02/18 10:04:13
water baby
Thanks Kay and Locogringo for being there and on top of things! Your insight and info is trusted and appreciated.
2016/02/18 10:04:13
CurlSnout
Thanks, Kay...
2016/02/18 10:38:59
Kay
water baby

Aw thank you. We are here for all of you, we love our guests and it sucks when stuff like this happens.  We want everyone to have a great experience here in the Riviera Maya. 
2016/02/18 10:50:12
Susy
1990 aerial view ~

2016/02/18 18:10:30
mcmarya
We will be in the area for a short stay in late April and, unfortunately won't be able to stay in Akumal.  As day trippers (on foot), will we likely have to pay $12 to get in?
2016/02/18 19:23:43
Cathie9
Finishing up packing here today...so excited!  I take it the blockade hasn't happened again today?  Just looking for some good news before we head down there tomorrow.  Thanks.
2016/02/19 12:32:50
Wifey
mcmarya
We will be in the area for a short stay in late April and, unfortunately won't be able to stay in Akumal.  As day trippers (on foot), will we likely have to pay $12 to get in?

It is my understanding that there is no fee.  
2016/02/19 12:50:52
alexakumal
Another view from a 1990 brochure of aerial photos:

2016/02/19 16:18:19
durangotom
Alex, do you think the structures below the road going to HMB were former worker/local housing?
This picture was along that road in 1983.

2016/02/19 16:24:53
alexakumal
Yep. Used to be a little more diverse population living beachside.
2016/02/19 16:27:19
Seagoat
The locals used to live there before they were "moved" across the highway.

Seagoat
2016/02/19 16:59:12
Mayan Boar
Yes, remember those days.  MB
2016/02/19 19:07:17
Kay
mcmarya

Probably not.  Its the tour groups that come in with organized tours as I understand it. 
2016/02/20 10:19:00
Steve
Anyone have a current update for this morning re: access from 307, Akumal Bay-Half Moon Bay-Yal Ku open or closed, shops open or closed, eateries open or closed?
Wanted to head down early.
2016/02/22 05:59:43
Cathie9
Hey Steve!  We arrived Saturday afternoon and have had nothing but pure, undisturbed Akumal happiness since our arrival.  Not sure what the road situation is RIGHT NOW as we're on HMB and just getting up this morning.  We've encountered no blockades or unrest whatsoever.  Akumal Bay beach was jam-packed yesterday but that's normal for Sundays.  Walked the beach south to check out the new Secrets (no big deal really) and determined it's addition hadn't messed up paradise ;-).  We also hit YalKu yesterday and it was just gorgeous; very few people, quiet, beautiful, tons of fish, water not too cloudy.  (Over the years we've taken to doing YalKu from 3-5pm over any other time of day, as the rays of light into the lagoon make it magical and the fish are feeding in giant balls/schools).  Also tried the new Taverna restaurant last night and it was really quite good...giant slices of avocado deep fried with a lemon cilantro dipping sauce.  Yea baby.

It's not 1983 but this place is still the be all, end all for us.
2016/02/22 06:14:34
Shawnboomstra
Curious to know. Is the entry fee to Yal-Kul $14 for an adult? I thought I saw that somewhere.
2016/02/22 10:19:27
Cathie9
Yes, $14 adult.
2016/02/22 12:13:23
CurlSnout
Yal-Ku is neat. That said, I have to marvel at "old days" when we drove right up and just jumped right in, no one there, to take a fee or otherwise. Apologies for the memory, just struck me with the fee now.  I'll add we have gone back and paid the fee a couple time years later :)
2016/02/23 09:24:43
CurlSnout
(killing a dup!)
2016/02/23 09:24:44
Shawnboomstra
I was there on our first visit to RM 7 years ago and it was $4 so more than triple the price in 7 years is pretty steep but its all supply and demand. Maybe they will preserve the lagoon longer by reducing the traffic. I would be willing to pay to snorkel Akumal Bay if it was guaranteed to protect the Bay.
I'll be there with my daughters and a few of their friends for the first time in April. Who knows when they will be back and what the RM will look like then. It hard to put a price tag on an experience which might not be around 10 years from now. We pay $11 to go watch a movie so it's all relative.
2016/02/23 13:06:31
CurlSnout
Good points, Shawn
2016/02/24 12:44:13
Jazzsmith10
Anyone down there today?  Please update when you get a chance.  THANKS!

2016/02/28 09:43:05
Cathie9
We just returned home last evening from our annual week in Akumal and it was nothing less than perfect (we stay in a condo on HMB).  No issues whatsoever with road closures or beach access.  Everything was the same as always and we enjoyed ourselves to the fullest extent.  The statue is still on its side at the entrance but I guess they'll get that figured out. Akumal Bay snorkeling was about the same as last year (lots of snorkeling tours) but the turtles are still there, easy to see, and the coral seemed to be in better shape.  No one harassed us on the beach or in the water.  A cool front moved through mid week which shifted the wind direction around for about 36 hours, allowing us a beautiful snorkeling experience on HMB...gorgeous, healthy coral, tons of fish, and even a few rays.  It was rare to see it that calm; a few people were even paddle-boarding that day :-).  I could go on in more detail about our trip (great pizza at Taverna, still-fantastic pasta at Que Onda) but I'll stop.  All in all, a very relieving trip back to wonderful, peaceful, paradise that is Akumal.  PS:  Husband just reminded me the only downside was the loss of Las Tres Acapulcenas. No one did coconut shrimp like they did.
2016/02/28 10:10:33
Jazzsmith10
Glad to hear you had a good trip Cathie9!
2016/02/28 16:39:41
jackfish
Hi we had great time from February 17 to March 2/16.
We had a very scary moment when I had an email from Riviera Maya grocery saying they couldn't get in to HMB.
Contacted Kay Talked with Riviera Maya grocery.The next day road opened to one lane and the groceries delivered. We where set for the whole two weeks.
When we pulled in there is only one lane it was at night there was a fire going on the block lane and it was very intimidating.
chain-link fence black plastic and barbwire my guess would be that they're building something behind all that security.

2016/03/12 13:00:07
tot
We did indeed pay $14 last week to enter Yal Ku Lagoon.
2016/03/12 16:48:34
Mayan Boar
Statue was down on 3/7 and tonight on my way to listen to Natalie perform at Lol Ha, it was erected.  
2016/03/12 21:45:17
Shawnboomstra
Tot, how was the crowd at Yal Ku Lagoon? What day and time did you go, and how was the marine life? 
2016/03/13 16:57:11
tot
It was March 3, around 3PM. The rain ranged from light to moderate, so it was not crowded.  I was alarmed that I did not see any angelfish.  There were lots of varieties of parrotfish and butterflyfish.  Of course there were also many grunts and sergeant majors.  I was glad there were no lionfish.
2016/03/14 14:18:12
jackfish
We went on Feb 19/2016 was very quite for a Friday .
Yes it was 14$ US seems high to but we had family that have never snorkeled before .
No angelfish but did see my first. EEL .

j

[imagehttp://i1296.photobucket....97419940&1457997459389][/image]
2016/03/14 18:06:40
Shawnboomstra
Thanks for the update. Like to see the photo's.  I remember snorkeling in the Lagoon 5 years ago and seeing barracuda and a school of small squid along with a big variety of fish. I wish I had a camera back then. Looking to being back there in 15 days:)
2016/03/15 07:55:29
Darren
What's the latest on the beach access blockages?  I saw a picture on FB Friday showing a chain link & barb-wire fence; hope this was an older pic but it looked pretty recent.  I get that there are issues here, but there are more appealing ways to limit access other than the concentration camp motif they've chosen.  Regardless, we're still looking forward to returning in June.
2016/03/15 09:13:00
Wifey
The old beach access is closed. The fence is new and still up.  I think the razor wire screams "welcome" don't you think? 

Anyhoo.. you can access the beach through the CEA property.  There is no fee to enter the bay and you are NOT required to hire a guide to snorkel as you may or may not be told when passing through CEA.  
2016/03/15 13:31:25
Shawnboomstra
Interesting.  When we go we like to snorkel early before the crowds. If I arrive at 7 or 8 am is the CEA building open to pass through?
2016/03/15 13:34:39
Darren
Thanks Wifey!

Shawn, I'd guess you could still walk between the CEA and dive center to get to the beach in the morning before the CEA opens. 
2016/03/15 15:59:50
el gran chico
i will check this tomorrow.  i will be running early and my usual route goes to the beach by CEA.
2016/03/16 22:26:25
el gran chico
No issue accessing the beach early in the morning.  Note that you don't physically enter the CEA building, you go beside it as Daren explains.
2016/03/17 10:08:13
Dixie in FWA
Anything new on access?

2016/03/26 11:09:43

Comments are closed.

© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5