2013/07/09 09:44:52
mike jeannie

Grand Palladium Riviera

Just booked a 2 week holiday for Hubby and I at the Grand Palladium Riviera. Boy oh boy, are we excited!! Its our first time at the Palladium but our 7th year coming the the Mayan.

Now here comes the questions.

Do the rooms in the Riviera side have sliding screen doors? Hubby and I like to sleep with the sound of the tropics and the air conditioner off.

How about the beds? Comfortable or hard?

Food? Which is the best restaurant / buffet to eat at?

Showers? Water pressure good?

Looking forward to all responses.

Thanks

Jeannie of Mike and Jeannie

35 comments Leave a comment
BeachBilly
We have been to the Palladium RM 7x but have never stayed in the Riveria section so I can't help
with your questions. But you will love all that this resort has to offer![:)]
2013/07/09 09:50:35
mike jeannie
Thanks BeachBilly! Trust me, hubby and I make our own fun (wink, wink).

Another question. Coffee makers? All rooms have?
2013/07/09 10:29:56
FresnoJoe
All i can think of when you say sleep with the windows open is mosquito bites. My understanding is that there are coffee makers in all the rooms and have heard that the coffee is actually pretty good. We will be there end of July.
2013/07/09 11:17:58
The Vermexican
I stayed there in 2010

Showers were awesome
bungalows are close to the beach but not right on the beach....they do have a veranda and sliding doors
all the buffet style dining halls are good
If you want to eat aT AN aL lA cARTE BOOK AS EARLY AS YOU CAN...THEY FILL UP FAST AND THE LATER IT GETS THE LONGER THE WAIT TIME IS...WE ENDED UP BOOKING FOR THE EARLIEST RESERVATION....HMMM i THINK IT WAS AROUND 6:30PM
The Place is beautiful but VERY LARGE

Have fun
2013/07/09 11:19:53
makita579
Have fun at the Palladium! Not all restaurants will accept reservations. We only ate buffets for breakfast, and ate at a different restaurant for dinner most every night. Beds are a bit hard, water pressure was always fine for a shower. We've stayed at Colonial and White sands. Keep in mind the place is HUGE. Next time we'll stay at Kantenah cause that's our favorite part of the beach.
2013/07/09 11:36:59
mike jeannie
But see if there is a screen, no mosquitoes. [:)]

And now that i think back to all the times we've been to the Mayan, not once have any of us been bitten by those pesky critters.

2013/07/09 13:00:42
mike jeannie
Hubby and I thought for 2 weeks we should book a bigger resort. We were at the Barcelo in February and thought that was big. Never did get a chance to see it all. Is the Palladium is bigger?
2013/07/09 13:02:30
Kwing
We love the GP

Beds are comfy - to me - but some of those nites may have been tequila infused[:D]

When you open the sliding door - the a/c will shut off - yes there is a screen and yes there are coffee makers

The only ala carte restaurants you need to make reservations for are the Punta Emilia - it's a beach bar by day and at night turns into a seafood restaurant - very romantic on the beach! And the other is the Japanese hibachi table. The others you just show up and you'll be given a beeper.

Be sure to check out the Spa - it's free to use the water features, sauna etc.

The buffets have different themed nights, so you don't always have to "dress up" for an ala carte.

The big pool on the colonial side is over 5' deep in some areas. The big pool on the White Sands sides is shallower. Bring a "float thingy" of some sort if you're 5'3" or under for the colonial pool[:D] The "secret adults only" pool on the colonial side is also deep like that - watch your step on the last step - it's a doosy[:D]. The "adults only" on the white sand side is not as deep.

Enjoy!!!
2013/07/09 13:12:13
TomKatWpg
Hi M J,
We stayed in the Colonial section in Oct 2011.
Screens & Coffee Makers, yes.
Good water pressure, and comfortable beds.
Watch out when stepping into tub as some have a fairly steep slope at the back.
I went in after my wife and I twisted my knee when I slipped and fell getting in, on our first day.
It made for a week of limping about the huge resort.
My favorite restaurant was Ribs & More and Kathy really like the Japanese. They were all quite good, except the beach BBQ which was not great.
When are you going? We are looking at October but haven't found a price we like yet.
2013/07/09 13:15:09
mike jeannie

ORIGINAL: TomKatWpg

Hi M J,
We stayed in the Colonial section in Oct 2011.
Screens & Coffee Makers, yes.
Good water pressure, and comfortable beds.
Watch out when stepping into tub as some have a fairly steep slope at the back.
I went in after my wife and I twisted my knee when I slipped and fell getting in, on our first day.
It made for a week of limping about the huge resort.
My favorite restaurant was Ribs & More and Kathy really like the Japanese. They were all quite good, except the beach BBQ which was not great.
When are you going? We are looking at October but haven't found a price we like yet.

hey fellow winterpegger!! we depart january 29th. hubby won't tell me how much he paid, since its a birthday present for me. but he did mentioned he got a great deal.
2013/07/09 13:17:14
mike jeannie

ORIGINAL: Kwing

We love the GP

Beds are comfy - to me - but some of those nites may have been tequila infused[:D]

When you open the sliding door - the a/c will shut off - yes there is a screen and yes there are coffee makers

The only ala carte restaurants you need to make reservations for are the Punta Emilia - it's a beach bar by day and at night turns into a seafood restaurant - very romantic on the beach! And the other is the Japanese hibachi table. The others you just show up and you'll be given a beeper.

Be sure to check out the Spa - it's free to use the water features, sauna etc.

The buffets have different themed nights, so you don't always have to "dress up" for an ala carte.

The big pool on the colonial side is over 5' deep in some areas. The big pool on the White Sands sides is shallower. Bring a "float thingy" of some sort if you're 5'3" or under for the colonial pool[:D] The "secret adults only" pool on the colonial side is also deep like that - watch your step on the last step - it's a doosy[:D]. The "adults only" on the white sand side is not as deep.

Enjoy!!!

check out spa
bring floaty thingy
watch last step
check check and check
2013/07/09 13:19:33
Kwing
Ooops - I forgot about the Beach BBQ - you need reservations for that, but the last 3 times we went - we never even tried it.

Also - just saw that you're going in Jan.............I "think" not sure that they may be charging for the spa by then..........Cape Cod Ann - can you confirm this?

Now that's a great Birthday gift![sm=kopete008.png]
2013/07/09 13:22:44
TomKatWpg
Hey Neighbor,
Jeannie, You will love the resort. If you have any other questions, just ask, or send me an email or PM.
Tom
2013/07/09 13:23:36
mike jeannie

Ooops - I forgot about the Beach BBQ - you need reservations for that, but the last 3 times we went - we never even tried it.

Also - just saw that you're going in Jan.............I "think" not sure that they may be charging for the spa by then..........Cape Cod Ann - can you confirm this?

Now that's a great Birthday gift![sm=kopete008.png]

Well that's a bummer. I don't mind paying though. Hubby and I do enjoy the couples massage.

It is a great gift!! And it's gonna be a wonderful holiday!
2013/07/09 13:26:05
FresnoJoe
The $10 per day charge will begin November 1st of this year according to management.
2013/07/09 13:46:51
mike jeannie

ORIGINAL: FresnoJoe

The $10 per day charge will begin November 1st of this year according to management.

Thanks FresnoJoe

So that $10 will allow you use of all the water facilities in the spa?
2013/07/09 15:33:13
carloo1
We stayed in the White Sands section in April. Loved the resort. Beds were comfortable, water pressure great, rooms were so spacious....we were shocked at the size.
The bathrooms were huge with Jacuzzi tubs. Our villa was next to a wooden walkway which took us to the beach....about a 45 second walk. The beach was lovely, however the water entry was rocky so we went down to the Colonial and Katenah section and there was a wonderful sandy entry. When we return we will stay in the Katanah side as this is where we spent much of our time.
Check out Hemmingway Bar....great place to relax and drink top shelf liquor. We liked the buffets in the Colonial and Kantenah section better as well. I was not thrilled with the ala cartes, but we loved the beach barbecue. Punta Emilia was great for beach snacks, but we weren't thrilled with the meal in the evening. Lovely atmosphere, though.
We found the staff very friendly and happy.
So much wild life with MANY iguanas around, amazing birds, etc. We had a huge iguana outside our building every morning sunning himself. We named him Grandpa.
We are going back as soon as possible!
You will have a great time!
2013/07/09 17:57:13
FresnoJoe
$10 covers all but actual treatments. No charge for gym located at the spa. Not sure if they plan on implementing some type of week pass. Just looking at pictures it looks like a great place to get away from it all.
2013/07/09 18:49:40
Kwing
For those of you that haven't been This website is a great way to get a look around the resort.
2013/07/09 18:56:13
mike jeannie
that's a pretty awesome website kwing!!!

i read somewhere, trip advisor i think, that if your booked for the Riviera side they sometimes upgrade you to the white sands. that ever happen to anyone? the villas in the white sands sure is beautiful!!
2013/07/10 09:14:14
cape cod ann
Yes, there are screen doors but as was said the AC will go off if the screen doors are open. Be sure and wander down to Punta Emilia beach bar for a sunrise/great coffee/champagne in the morning.

You have use of all buffets and all ala cartes except the Royal area and El Jardin. Menus are posted outside of the restaurants so you can decide what appeal to you. I can also send you a link where I have menus posted.

Be sure and spend some time at the salt water pool. Gorgeous spot at Riviera end.

All ala cartes are non reservations except for Punta Emilia (seafood), BBQ beach party and hibachi table (Japanese.) These must be booked the day before.

As of now there is a $10 pp fee that will be imposed at the spa when you go.If you are staying in the Royal, are VIP or use spa fees there is no charge ($10)
2013/07/11 18:19:26
mike jeannie

ORIGINAL: cape cod ann

Yes, there are screen doors but as was said the AC will go off if the screen doors are open. Be sure and wander down to Punta Emilia beach bar for a sunrise/great coffee/champagne in the morning.

You have use of all buffets and all ala cartes except the Royal area and El Jardin. Menus are posted outside of the restaurants so you can decide what appeal to you. I can also send you a link where I have menus posted.

Be sure and spend some time at the salt water pool. Gorgeous spot at Riviera end.

All ala cartes are non reservations except for Punta Emilia (seafood), BBQ beach party and hibachi table (Japanese.) These must be booked the day before.

As of now there is a $10 pp fee that will be imposed at the spa when you go.

i think all resorts are like that, ac turning off if the sliding door is open. we are both fine with that. we tend not to sleep with air conditioning on. love waking up to the sound of the waves and the birds!

thanks for the pm. very informative.

2013/07/12 08:22:56
luvn the ocean
Stayed in Riviera section, bldg 60, jr. Suite in 2012. Loved the Riviera side and location was the best. Going back this Dec. and booked a suite in Riviera. We went to Barcelo Palace last year and liked the Palladium so much better. The rooms are very comfortable and we always had hot water and full pressure for the shower. I do have a question on the spa also. If you book a service can you use the wet areas for free? The spa is really nice and was a nice touch when you could use it for free. I do understand why they would charge though, it was always so busy. You will not be disappointed in the Palladium.
2013/07/16 10:10:06
mike jeannie
thank you all for the great advice.

its been a few years since we've been alone on vacation. hubby and i are so excited to go.

166 days to go!!! [:D]
2013/08/16 08:17:23
PapaPiranha
We never managed to get a reservation at Punta Emilia, but my preference would probably be to eat there most nights if I could, as the beach setting is really nice and I heard the food is good. Most of the resort is set back from the beach so if you like the idea of beachfront dining then that and bbq party are good options. If you like hot sauce with your tacos etc you might bring your own, as the beach bar didn't have any when we were there.

Have fun!
2013/08/16 08:26:52
cape cod ann
I know recently there was a large group of guests from Spain. Punta Emilia is a favorite for the Spansh guests so during that time reservations were more difficult to get as seating is limited and demand was high. It is not always difficult to get reservations for there. If you want some good seafood suggest trying Fishermans night in the buffet. They serve a wonderful lobster stew and all kinds of seafood.
2013/08/16 14:01:51
chocirish
We were there last yr.--our 1st time at the GP---enjoyed it a lot.

We had sliding glass doors onto our balcony.
The beds were firm but we found them comfortable (and we have a soft-side waterbed at home).
Loved the food with the exception of the oriental food place. All other restaurants were delicious. We really enjoyed the buffet for breakfasts and lunches.
Excellent water pressure in the bathrooms---didn't notice any problems!

Have a GREAT TIME!

ORIGINAL: mike jeannie

Just booked a 2 week holiday for Hubby and I at the Grand Palladium Riviera. Boy oh boy, are we excited!! Its our first time at the Palladium but our 7th year coming the the Mayan.

Now here comes the questions.

Do the rooms in the Riviera side have sliding screen doors? Hubby and I like to sleep with the sound of the tropics and the air conditioner off.

How about the beds? Comfortable or hard?

Food? Which is the best restaurant / buffet to eat at?

Showers? Water pressure good?

Looking forward to all responses.

Thanks

Jeannie of Mike and Jeannie

2013/08/16 14:29:49
jgruhn
I thought the $10 spa charge did not go into effect until 11/1/13? Can anyone confirm? We are going 10/19-10/26 and were hoping to avoid the charge.

Janice
2013/08/16 18:29:10
cape cod ann
Last I heard the spa charge was going to be effective Nov.1. This has been under discussion for some time. Most resorts in the area now charge a fee. They goal is to maintain a peaceful environment and the fee is much less than some other resorts from what I have heard.
2013/08/17 11:05:40
mike jeannie
118 days to go! don't even ask if i've already started throwing stuff into my suitcase [;)]

so we were wondering about upgrading to the royal suites. the travel agent we booked with told us that sunwing has put a stop sell on them. our agent advised if we wanted to upgrade to do it at the resort.

can anyone tell me how much an upgrade would be?

thanks in advance.

jeannie
2013/10/03 08:20:34
Kwing
mike Jeanne

Here's info about upgrading - I copied from another website:

Suites at the G.P Colonial and Kantenah must be requested upon arrival as they do not pre arrange upgrades.

Prices subject to change! Updated 8/28/12

High Season: Dec/20th to Apr/30th and from July/1st to Aug/31st

Low Season: May/1st to Jun/30th and from Sep/1st to Dec/19th

Colonial & Kantenah Low season High season
Updated :1/2/2013 From Standard room to Junior Suite $40 USD per nt $56 USD per nt | From Standard room to Mayan Suite $80 USD per nt $112 USD per nt | From Standard room to Suite $120 USD per nt $168 USD per nt | From Junior Suite to Mayan Suite $40 USD per nt $56 USD per nt | From Junior Suite to Suite $80 USD per nt $112 USD per nt | From Mayan Suite to Suite $40 USD per nt $56 USD per nt | From Standard room to Royal Junior Suite $104 USD per nt $130 USD per nt |
From Standard room to Royal Suite $144 USD per nt $202USD per nt | From Standard room to Royal Mayan Suite $184 USD per nt $258 USD per nt | From Junior Suite to Royal Junior Suite $64 USD per nt $90 USD per nt | From Junior Suite to Royal Suite $104USD per nt $146 USD per nt | From Junior Suite to Royal Mayan Suite $144 USD per nt $202 USD per nt |
2013/10/03 12:14:30
cape cod ann
You can also check price difference on LG or the palladium hotel group site to see price differences. The Palladium site has been updated and is very nice.

26 sleeps for me!!!
2013/10/03 18:15:53
mike jeannie

mike Jeanne

Here's info about upgrading - I copied from another website:

Suites at the G.P Colonial and Kantenah must be requested upon arrival as they do not pre arrange upgrades.

Thank you Kwing

I'm a little confused there are 2 costs per upgrade. Could you tell me where you got this info from?

This is so appreciated!!

Prices subject to change! Updated 8/28/12

High Season: Dec/20th to Apr/30th and from July/1st to Aug/31st

Low Season: May/1st to Jun/30th and from Sep/1st to Dec/19th

Colonial & Kantenah Low season High season
Updated :1/2/2013 From Standard room to Junior Suite $40 USD per nt $56 USD per nt | From Standard room to Mayan Suite $80 USD per nt $112 USD per nt | From Standard room to Suite $120 USD per nt $168 USD per nt | From Junior Suite to Mayan Suite $40 USD per nt $56 USD per nt | From Junior Suite to Suite $80 USD per nt $112 USD per nt | From Mayan Suite to Suite $40 USD per nt $56 USD per nt | From Standard room to Royal Junior Suite $104 USD per nt $130 USD per nt |
From Standard room to Royal Suite $144 USD per nt $202USD per nt | From Standard room to Royal Mayan Suite $184 USD per nt $258 USD per nt | From Junior Suite to Royal Junior Suite $64 USD per nt $90 USD per nt | From Junior Suite to Royal Suite $104USD per nt $146 USD per nt | From Junior Suite to Royal Mayan Suite $144 USD per nt $202 USD per nt |

2013/10/04 08:19:28
mike jeannie
26 sleeps!!!!!! That is soooo awesome!!!

ORIGINAL: cape cod ann

You can also check price difference on LG or the palladium hotel group site to see price differences. The Palladium site has been updated and is very nice.

26 sleeps for me!!!

2013/10/04 08:20:09
Kwing
The 2 different prices are low season vs. high season.

sent you a pm also
2013/10/04 10:52:47

Comments are closed.

© 2020 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5